Miss Basketball

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby kel20Nd » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Jess will be going for her 5th state championship this year  not bad huh
kel20Nd

Postby radar » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:50 pm

SCC wrote:
bruins44 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:06 07 or 07 08 my favorites for those years are kielpinski and privratsky or maybe finlee

Kielpinski will win Miss Basketball hands down!!  the career she has had is as good as any player ever to come out of ND... She will have won 4 state titles in a row after this season and was a dominant player all 4 years.  She is a legit D1 player and has already signed at New Mexico, a major D1 team.  If she doesnt get hurt she will win it going away!!

Kielpinski has a good shot, but it depends on this coming season.  It's not a career award.
its partly a career award
radar
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:09 pm

all my moneys on keilpinski even in the game against century it was obvious she outplayed lafrance though mandan took the loss and there isnt really any other competition

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:03 am

Most people would take a team win over a "one-on-one" match up of different positions.  Just remember everyone has a bad night.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:25 am

kielpinski doesnt have a bad night

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfootball » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:39 pm

LaFrance is way more athletic, and is a better player.
ndfootball

Postby Baller » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Kielpinski will definately get Miss Basketball over LaFrance.  The problem with LaFrance is that she has only improved a small amout from when she was a sophomore.  She is still a good player, but I would take Fettig over her on that Century team as the best player this year.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:12 pm

ndfootball wrote:LaFrance is way more athletic, and is a better player.

lafrance is more athletic and she could have a different variety of skills but lafrance isnt even the second best player in the state as both keilpinski and privratsky are better

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:59 am

I am guessing baller and cdub1 are still in high school, if not middle school, and are over-looking the type of player lafrance really is because she is not the leading scorer on the team or in the state.  Scoring isn't everything; maybe she was called out to take a different role this year.  Who knows?  She can jump lights out and has passing skills of college athlete.  I would venture to say if privatsky chose UND, she would be playing under lafrance.  That is why I do not rate privatsky above her.  Stats should be an indication of a player's talent, but there is far more to it than that.  Also, to say she hasn't improved much since sophomore year is bogus.  However, my opinion on Miss Basketball is that Kielpinski will win easily because of all her accomplishments throughout the years.   
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:44 pm

demonfan74 wrote:I am guessing baller and cdub1 are still in high school, if not middle school, and are over-looking the type of player lafrance really is because she is not the leading scorer on the team or in the state.  Scoring isn't everything; maybe she was called out to take a different role this year.  Who knows?  She can jump lights out and has passing skills of college athlete.  I would venture to say if privatsky chose UND, she would be playing under lafrance.  That is why I do not rate privatsky above her.  Stats should be an indication of a player's talent, but there is far more to it than that.  Also, to say she hasn't improved much since sophomore year is bogus.  However, my opinion on Miss Basketball is that Kielpinski will win easily because of all her accomplishments throughout the years.   
i obviosuly am in high school that is pretty obvious sayin we are most likely in middle school is stupid i do see the type of player lafrance is and she is overrated probably not the best player in bismarck definately not better than kielpinski or privratsky

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:48 pm

First of all, I have not been in high school for a long time.  I am not sure that you understood my post.  I have been watching Lafrance play since she was in junior high at Horizon and I think that she is a great player.  She has been for a very long time.  She is one of the best in the state, but she was one of the best in the state as sophomore.  All that I was saying is that many players have had the chance to catch up to her as many players do when someone is a standout at a young age.  I am not sure why Privratsky was brought into the conversation as I said nothing about her.  I think that the two are very different players and have very different styles.  I agree that Lafrance will be very successful at the college level and because there is a point guard ahead of her, Ashley may chose another school (she is only a junior).  If I offended you, sorry, but do not attack me as a person because I have just as much right to post my opinion as you do.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:02 pm

Sorry baller, I was referring to cdub1 about the post on privatsky.   
Last edited by demonfan74 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Trickey7 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:04 am

Schuler should be in consideration for Miss Basketball, but only playing one year in ND will hinder her chances.   I haven't seen the west teams play so it is hard to compare.
Trickey7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cdub1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:42 am

it sounds like she is very good but just because of her playing only one year here she wont win

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 666 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:46 pm

I know that privatsky from devils lake is only a junior but is she the best girls ball player in the state as a junior?  I have seen her play and it seems like she is on a totally different level then other girls

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:55 pm

666 wrote:I know that privatsky from devils lake is only a junior but is she the best girls ball player in the state as a junior?  I have seen her play and it seems like she is on a totally different level then other girls

i think she is 2nd to keilpinski only amazing talent 20 7 and 7 says it rite there but i dont think neone is one kielpinski's level rite now

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikes_fan » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:54 am

demonfan74 wrote:I am guessing baller and cdub1 are still in high school, if not middle school, and are over-looking the type of player lafrance really is because she is not the leading scorer on the team or in the state.  Scoring isn't everything; maybe she was called out to take a different role this year.  Who knows?  She can jump lights out and has passing skills of college athlete.  I would venture to say if privatsky chose UND, she would be playing under lafrance.  That is why I do not rate privatsky above her.  Stats should be an indication of a player's talent, but there is far more to it than that.  Also, to say she hasn't improved much since sophomore year is bogus.  However, my opinion on Miss Basketball is that Kielpinski will win easily because of all her accomplishments throughout the years.   

I agree that kielpinski will win the Miss Basketball award hands down because how many state titles had lafrance helped century win and how many has kielpinski, i know that they are not supposed to look at previous years but you know they do a little bit.
vikes_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:51 am

vikes_fan wrote:

I agree that kielpinski will win the Miss Basketball award hands down because how many state titles had lafrance helped century win and how many has kielpinski, i know that they are not supposed to look at previous years but you know they do a little bit.
Miss Basketball is a career award and therefore they are supposed to look at previous years.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sioux75 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:40 am

At this point in time I think you have to rate the girls in the WDA higher than in the EDC as far as being in the running for Miss Basketball and for all-state.  It seems like the teams from the west are much better this year.  The WDA teams overall have a 13-4 record against the EDC teams, and that is without Mandan playing any EDC teams.  Also the WDA teams non-conference records are 19-5, and the EDC is 7-21, with only Shanley and Devil's Lake having winning non-conference records.  When looking at statistics and state wide honors the quality of the competition that you play should be taken into account.

sioux75

Postby Baller » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:54 am

sioux75 wrote:At this point in time I think you have to rate the girls in the WDA higher than in the EDC as far as being in the running for Miss Basketball and for all-state.  It seems like the teams from the west are much better this year.  The WDA teams overall have a 13-4 record against the EDC teams, and that is without Mandan playing any EDC teams.  Also the WDA teams non-conference records are 19-5, and the EDC is 7-21, with only Shanley and Devil's Lake having winning non-conference records.  When looking at statistics and state wide honors the quality of the competition that you play should be taken into account.

I would agree that the overall talent level is higher in the West this year.  With the exception of Privratsky and maybe Shuler, I would guess that the majority of you all staters will be from the west.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wildcat » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:14 pm

Kielpinski will win Miss Basketball, probably over LaFrance and I imagine Bottineau's Kayla Roemmich will be B's toss-in candidate. Who else will be thrown in for B, even though they won't have a chance?

Whether or not it is supposed to be a career award, it is voted on by the media and they inevitably make it a career award, which I believe is important. I think careers should be taken into account.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:19 pm

Wildcat wrote:Kielpinski will win Miss Basketball, probably over LaFrance and I imagine Bottineau's Kayla Roemmich will be B's toss-in candidate. Who else will be thrown in for B, even though they won't have a chance?

Whether or not it is supposed to be a career award, it is voted on by the media and they inevitably make it a career award, which I believe is important. I think careers should be taken into account.

roemmich is a junior

for the papers that do stories on the mr./miss basketball i'm sure they go into great detail about the person's career. otherwise it would be a pretty quick read...marty/mary crossover played basketball this year at chuck and duck high school. crossover averaged x points, x rebounds, x assists, x blocks, x steals a game this season. he/she is good, no i mean really good. the end.

is that where some of the confusion comes in about it being a career award? because the background of the story is mistaken for the criteria judged?

i think part of the reason it is a season award versus a career award is because you run into things like a girl being a fairly significant contributor for a year or two with a team and breaks both of her legs four minutes into her senior season and doesn't play another minute while some other girl who was on j.v. last year suddenly has the light go on, goes for 20 points a half in leading her team to the state tournament where they finish third despite her 93 points in the semifinals. one less thing to argue about. and really, i like that it isn't open-ended and you have a clear-cut definition that what player x did in his/her junior year means nothing. saves from people politicing that so-and-so played as a sophomore, but someone else didn't, so it is obvious who the award goes to.

also, at the high school level statistics are fairly irrelevant, especially when you look at the class a vs. class b argument, so it just eliminates one more thing to argue about, that is, career stats versus senior year stats.

i'd like to see a group step up and do a career achievement award for a male and a female senior every year. personally i think that the high school player of the year award should be that award versus what i assume to be just a coach's knockoff of mr/miss basketball. maybe it is? i don't really follow that award, because i don't care about it.

i stopped caring when i found out that a kid that got a minor during the fall sports season, served his/her suspension and then kept his/her nose clean during basketball season was still ineligible for the senior player of the year award. instead of acknowledging a kid learned from his/her mistakes, and put that particular basketball season at the top of his/her priorities, a minor is apparently going to be the brand that defines his/her senior year of basketball. i disagree with it, so basically i put no stock in the award.

note, for anyone who is going to personal message me and say, "why don't we just change the name of the all-state team to the all-drunk team or the mr/miss basketball award to mr/miss drunk award" save it, i've heard it and you will make no headway with me.

maybe i'm a hypocrite because i look at it different if a kid gets a minor during the basketball season. to me, that says that the kid hasn't put basketball as his/her highest priority. so be it, i've never said i'm not a hypocrite.

i think the one thing that gets overlooked about the whole process is that the media votes on it, and it is their award. it is no one else's, because no one else either a) wanted a season-ending award, b) didn't have the foresight to think that kind of thing would be a good idea or c) thought it would too hard to pull off if they did want to it. maybe it is the name that throws it off or something like that, but i find it interesting how many people want to jump in and claim ownership of the award or define it or god knows what, when it is what it is: the media's vote for best player that year.
Last edited by rep on Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby point/center » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:04 am

rep wrote:
Wildcat wrote:Kielpinski will win Miss Basketball, probably over LaFrance and I imagine Bottineau's Kayla Roemmich will be B's toss-in candidate. Who else will be thrown in for B, even though they won't have a chance?

roemmich is a junior

for the papers that do stories on the mr./miss basketball i'm sure they go into great detail about the person's career. otherwise it would be a pretty quick read...marty/mary crossover played basketball this year at chuck and duck high school. crossover averaged x points, x rebounds, x assists, x blocks, x steals a game this season. he/she is good, no i mean really good. the end.

is that where some of the confusion comes in about it being a career award? because the background of the story is mistaken for the criteria judged?

i think part of the reason it is a season award versus a career award is because you run into things like a girl being a fairly significant contributor for a year or two with a team and breaks both of her legs four minutes into her senior season and doesn't play another minute while some other girl who was on j.v. last year suddenly has the light go on, goes for 20 points a half in leading her team to the state tournament where they finish third despite her 93 points in the semifinals. one less thing to argue about. and really, i like that it isn't open-ended and you have a clear-cut definition that what player x did in his/her junior year means nothing. saves from people politicing that so-and-so played as a sophomore, but someone else didn't, so it is obvious who the award goes to.

also, at the high school level statistics are fairly irrelevant, especially when you look at the class a vs. class b argument, so it just eliminates one more thing to argue about, that is, career stats versus senior year stats.

i'd like to see a group step up and do a career achievement award for a male and a female senior every year. personally i think that the high school player of the year award should be that award versus what i assume to be just a coach's knockoff of mr/miss basketball. maybe it is? i don't really follow that award, because i don't care about it.

i stopped caring when i found out that a kid that got a minor during the fall sports season, served his/her suspension and then kept his/her nose clean during basketball season was still ineligible for the senior player of the year award. instead of acknowledging a kid learned from his/her mistakes, and put that particular basketball season at the top of his/her priorities, a minor is apparently going to be the brand that defines his/her senior year of basketball. i disagree with it, so basically i put no stock in the award.

note, for anyone who is going to personal message me and say, "why don't we just change the name of the all-state team to the all-drunk team or the mr/miss basketball award to mr/miss drunk award" save it, i've heard it and you will make no headway with me.

maybe i'm a hypocrite because i look at it different if a kid gets a minor during the basketball season. to me, that says that the kid hasn't put basketball as his/her highest priority. so be it, i've never said i'm not a hypocrite.

i think the one thing that gets overlooked about the whole process is that the media votes on it, and it is their award. it is no one else's, because no one else either a) wanted a season-ending award, b) didn't have the foresight to think that kind of thing would be a good idea or c) thought it would too hard to pull off if they did want to it. maybe it is the name that throws it off or something like that, but i find it interesting how many people want to jump in and claim ownership of the award or define it or god knows what, when it is what it is: the media's vote for best player that year.
could you go back and repeat the part where you said the stuff about that thing?

in all seriousness....great post, very good points.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:27 am

rep wrote:

roemmich is a junior

Wow, I went to bed last night a little upset because I thought I was right as I had got my information from three different class A coaches, but your post puts things into perspective.  Thanks for the information
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wildcat » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:36 am

Rep, great post! One of the things I didn't like specifically was a year or two ago with Mike Stowman. He wasn't considered because of something minor, or at least that's what I heard. I don't think he would have gotten it, but I still thought he deserved to be in there.

I forgot Roemmich is a junior, but that still leaves open my question as to who should be thrown into the mix.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls