Mandan Braves next year...

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re:

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:33 pm

Eminence wrote:The ND Hoopster ranked Mandan #1 in both WDA and State. I agree with the fact that until you beat the number one team, you cannot be rated number 1.  Also, the coaching staff will be the difference in the outcome of the games between Mandan and BHS.  I don't know if BHS will be ready but I would bet Mandan will. 

My understanding is that Mandan is schrimaging Fargo North on 12-1 in Fargo. It might be fun to see them before their WDA battles start.
dgfsuperfan1

Re: Mandan Braves next year...

Postby EDC » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:13 pm

This would not be a fun scrimmage to watch. I wonder why Mandan would want to scrimmage North? What can North possibly have to gain by playing a team so much better? North won't be able to even get into an offense? North will get a lot of work on getting back on defense.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:07 pm

My guess is that the scrimmage will be controlled, so that the teams get to work on things that their own team has started to cheat on.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:34 pm

EDC wrote:This would not be a fun scrimmage to watch. I wonder why Mandan would want to scrimmage North? What can North possibly have to gain by playing a team so much better? North won't be able to even get into an offense? North will get a lot of work on getting back on defense.

The fun part would be to see the Mandan girls play. The folks in the Red River Valley do not get that opportunity very often before tournement play. I do agree it is supprising that they would come that far for a scrimmage against North. Maybe the coaches are pals?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby EDC » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Sounds like Mandan will also be scrimmaging South this weekend. Now it makes sense. Does anybody know the time Mandan plays North and South? Location? Are the scrimmages open to the public? Thanks!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:19 pm

EDC wrote:Sounds like Mandan will also be scrimmaging South this weekend. Now it makes sense. Does anybody know the time Mandan plays North and South? Location? Are the scrimmages open to the public? Thanks!

I don't know but maybe it is on the north or south team website?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby Baller » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:53 pm

EDC wrote:Sounds like Mandan will also be scrimmaging South this weekend. Now it makes sense. Does anybody know the time Mandan plays North and South? Location? Are the scrimmages open to the public? Thanks!

They are at south...north vs. mandan at 12:00 and south after...Mandan is also bringing the JV so they will be able to work some varsity stuff.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:37 pm

Baller wrote:

They are at south...north vs. mandan at 12:00 and south after...Mandan is also bringing the JV so they will be able to work some varsity stuff.

This might also be a tough day for south I hear they have only been practicing with one or two seniors because of injuries.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby EDC » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:20 am

A person will not be able to form an educated opinion on which team is better by just looking at the scores of these scrimmages. Will have to know who played and how much. Did both coaches substitute the same way? Especially against Mandan, you better have practiced your press breaker. Fun time but you will need to know the whole story to talk intelligently.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:53 am

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:
Baller wrote:

This might also be a tough day for south I hear they have only been practicing with one or two seniors because of injuries.

South only has three seniors and only two will probably see considerable playing time
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:19 am

EDC wrote:A person will not be able to form an educated opinion on which team is better by just looking at the scores of these scrimmages. Will have to know who played and how much. Did both coaches substitute the same way? Especially against Mandan, you better have practiced your press breaker. Fun time but you will need to know the whole story to talk intelligently.

I did not see the scrimmages last year but I heard they split the scrimmage up into parts where the teams run half court offenses only, a part where they can fast break and a part where they play full court pressure. I'm not sure they even keep score.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 am

Deuce wrote:
EDC wrote:A person will not be able to form an educated opinion on which team is better by just looking at the scores of these scrimmages. Will have to know who played and how much. Did both coaches substitute the same way? Especially against Mandan, you better have practiced your press breaker. Fun time but you will need to know the whole story to talk intelligently.

I did not see the scrimmages last year but I heard they split the scrimmage up into parts where the teams run half court offenses only, a part where they can fast break and a part where they play full court pressure. I'm not sure they even keep score.

I agree with EDC. it will be hard to judge any of the teams from a scrimmage. I hope the Mandan girls enjoy their trip to Fargo and everyone has a productive "injury free" day. I would like to see Collins play though.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby bruins44 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:47 am

I dont think the coaches will want anyone other than parents at this scrimmage... so if your not part of the North, South or Mandan teams and parents you probably wont be allowed in. Do you think if Shanley was having a scrimmage at home they would allow South or North coaches or fans in to watch? its not a game, they will not keep score.

Im sure all the coaches will treat this scrimmage as a practice and hopefully use it to work on what they need to do to get ready for next weekend when the games count.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:55 am

bruins44 wrote:

I dont think the coaches will want anyone other than parents at this scrimmage... so if your not part of the North, South or Mandan teams and parents you probably wont be allowed in. Do you think if Shanley was having a scrimmage at home they would allow South or North coaches or fans in to watch? its not a game, they will not keep score.

Im sure all the coaches will treat this scrimmage as a practice and hopefully use it to work on what they need to do to get ready for next weekend when the games count.

You are absolutely right Bruins44. It would not be cool to show up for this without a connection to a player or to the team. I truly enjoy watching basketball though and this would have been interesting to watch is all though I have no intention on going. Is somebody from South hurt? Hopefully only a minor thing. I want all teams to be at full strength and let the best team win.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:12 am

A team must be able to have two scrimmages. I was under the impression that you could have one?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:51 am

Mandan can do what they want...they don't have to follow the rules that everyone else does
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:15 pm

Baller wrote:Mandan can do what they want...they don't have to follow the rules that everyone else does

There must be some sort of jamberee thing rule going on.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller24 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:07 am

EDC wrote:A team must be able to have two scrimmages. I was under the impression that you could have one?

You can have two scrimmages per offseason
baller24
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:18 am

Did any parents from mandan make it to this scrimmage? The weather was bad. How did Mandan look?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:59 pm

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:Did any parents from mandan make it to this scrimmage? The weather was bad. How did Mandan look?

There were parents from all 3 schools at the scrimmage. If that was all Mandan has for its varsity, they are not nearly as good as they have been lately. They are a totally different team without a Kielpinski in the middle. Ali Collins is very good, and Mandan has other good shooters, but no post presense whatsoever. Hard to get a complete feel for how things would go in such a controlled environment like a scrimmage, but South was right there with Mandan the whole way, in fact there was one stretch where South pressed Mandan and I bet Mandan turned it over on 5 or 6 straight possessions. Which I guess is about right if you consider they are #1 and #3 preseason - it should have been close - we're just used to seeing Mandan dominate everyone else and that may not be the case this year - it will be fun to see the season play out and see if anyone can close the gap on Mandan.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:24 pm

EastGuruWannabe wrote:
dgfsuperfan1 wrote:Did any parents from mandan make it to this scrimmage? The weather was bad. How did Mandan look?

There were parents from all 3 schools at the scrimmage. If that was all Mandan has for its varsity, they are not nearly as good as they have been lately. They are a totally different team without a Kielpinski in the middle. Ali Collins is very good, and Mandan has other good shooters, but no post presense whatsoever. Hard to get a complete feel for how things would go in such a controlled environment like a scrimmage, but South was right there with Mandan the whole way, in fact there was one stretch where South pressed Mandan and I bet Mandan turned it over on 5 or 6 straight possessions. Which I guess is about right if you consider they are #1 and #3 preseason - it should have been close - we're just used to seeing Mandan dominate everyone else and that may not be the case this year - it will be fun to see the season play out and see if anyone can close the gap on Mandan.

It seems your observations were right on. Jamestown beat Mandan.
dgfsuperfan1

Previous

Return to Girls