Century vs Mandan

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby roughrider125 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:09 am

bballstud101 wrote:
threeball wrote:
sioux75 wrote:Good comments.  Coaching is important in getting the players ready over the season and getting them to put in the work in the offseason.  It is also important when the coach can keep calm and show stablilty for the players.  The players see that don't panic, they know that they can do it.  Amundson and his coaching staff of Peterson, Goeke and Girard do all of this well.  And while I don't expect Amundson to get coach of the year, I think he should. 

It also helps to have players like Kelsch, Kraft and Kielpinski, who can come up with the good defensive play, make a key basket and knock down some pressure free throws.  Mandan will miss those players next year as well as Hermanson and Gannon, who all year have come off the bench and made key baskets and defensive plays.   

how does amundson never win coach of the year. its a joke
I can tell you why amundson never wins coach of the year, because he runs up the score and puts his starters back in a game when Mandan is already up by 50 points.
and don't the coaches vote on it? If they do, what bballstud wrote explains everthing cause its true. 
Last edited by roughrider125 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:44 am

roughrider125 wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
threeball wrote:
sioux75 wrote:Good comments.  Coaching is important in getting the players ready over the season and getting them to put in the work in the offseason.  It is also important when the coach can keep calm and show stablilty for the players.  The players see that don't panic, they know that they can do it.  Amundson and his coaching staff of Peterson, Goeke and Girard do all of this well.  And while I don't expect Amundson to get coach of the year, I think he should. 

It also helps to have players like Kelsch, Kraft and Kielpinski, who can come up with the good defensive play, make a key basket and knock down some pressure free throws.  Mandan will miss those players next year as well as Hermanson and Gannon, who all year have come off the bench and made key baskets and defensive plays.   

I can tell you why amundson never wins coach of the year, because he runs up the score and puts his starters back in a game when Mandan is already up by 50 points.
and don't the coaches vote on it? If they do, what bballstud wrote explains everthing cause its true. 

if you know the way amundson coaches u would understand that he puts his bench in if they make a mistake he puts the third string in if they make mistakes he puts the starters back in he doesnt want to give players time who are not deserving of it and i agree with that

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:56 am

I can't figure out of the goal is to win State Titles or to win coach of the year?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:57 am

point/center wrote:I can't figure out of the goal is to win State Titles or to win coach of the year?

i think his goal is to win state titles and he accomplishes that and i think by accomplishing that year after year he deserves coy at least 3 of those years

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demonfan74 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:14 am

bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:
flyguy wrote:Centurys sportsmanship was aweful at the game. First off their tshirts are extremely trashy. Their home grown talent will likely be good enough for a 3rd place finish. Second off their are no rules against recruiting so get off Greg Amundsons back!!!!Third off during the introductions it was aweful that they all held newspapers during the mandan introductions(newspapers were taken because of bad content) and then at the end of the introductions they threw them away meaning mandan is trash. Grow up century fans and kids and most of all parents.

i totally agree they completely unsportsanlike, the flyers they gave out about the school song was disgusting, and i thought at least the parents would be more classy, but no, they turned their backs when mandan was getting introduced
I am a Century fan and was at the game on Friday and I feel we need to set a few things straight.

First off, Century did NOT print up flyers about the school song. I have heard rumors as to what school did but as I am not 100% positive, and I'm not going to be starting anymore rumors as to who did print them but I can say for sure that is was NOT Century.

Second, I do not understand why people are so offended by our shirts that say "WE love our Home Grown Talent." We are not saying anything about any school other than Century and if anyone is offended by them, then their talent must not be home grown and that is not our problem.

Third, The newspapers during introductions is not a new thing. As Century students, we have done that lots of times this year and it is not just a vs. Mandan thing. Also, what are you suppose to do with the newspapers when the introductions are over, put them on a nice neat pile? No you crumple them up because it is game time. If Mandan people took that the wrong way then they must have really low self-esteem, which again is not our problem.

However, one thing Century students did not do is shout their mascot during the national anthem after we have just been told to be respectful. People are thinking about their friends and family over fighting for our county in Iraq and I find it rude and inappropriate that Mandan fans did that during our national anthem.

Nice post.  And I'll say it: it was a parent from the bhs girls team.  I guess he was just using his freedom of speech, but in a pathetic way.  I'll admit it was funny, but also embarassing for everyone else from bismarck that had nothing to do with it. 

About the newspapers, century is not the only school to use them.  I've seen that from at least 3 different schools.  
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:29 pm

demonfan74 wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:
flyguy wrote:Centurys sportsmanship was aweful at the game. First off their tshirts are extremely trashy. Their home grown talent will likely be good enough for a 3rd place finish. Second off their are no rules against recruiting so get off Greg Amundsons back!!!!Third off during the introductions it was aweful that they all held newspapers during the mandan introductions(newspapers were taken because of bad content) and then at the end of the introductions they threw them away meaning mandan is trash. Grow up century fans and kids and most of all parents.

i totally agree they completely unsportsanlike, the flyers they gave out about the school song was disgusting, and i thought at least the parents would be more classy, but no, they turned their backs when mandan was getting introduced
I am a Century fan and was at the game on Friday and I feel we need to set a few things straight.

First off, Century did NOT print up flyers about the school song. I have heard rumors as to what school did but as I am not 100% positive, and I'm not going to be starting anymore rumors as to who did print them but I can say for sure that is was NOT Century.

Second, I do not understand why people are so offended by our shirts that say "WE love our Home Grown Talent." We are not saying anything about any school other than Century and if anyone is offended by them, then their talent must not be home grown and that is not our problem.

Third, The newspapers during introductions is not a new thing. As Century students, we have done that lots of times this year and it is not just a vs. Mandan thing. Also, what are you suppose to do with the newspapers when the introductions are over, put them on a nice neat pile? No you crumple them up because it is game time. If Mandan people took that the wrong way then they must have really low self-esteem, which again is not our problem.

However, one thing Century students did not do is shout their mascot during the national anthem after we have just been told to be respectful. People are thinking about their friends and family over fighting for our county in Iraq and I find it rude and inappropriate that Mandan fans did that during our national anthem.

Nice post.  And I'll say it: it was a parent from the bhs girls team.  I guess he was just using his freedom of speech, but in a pathetic way.  I'll admit it was funny, but also embarassing for everyone else from bismarck that had nothing to do with it. 

About the newspapers, century is not the only school to use them.  I've seen that from at least 3 different schools.  

i heard from a reliable source that a mandan parent was going to sue bhs or summin like that for making that song

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby threeball » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:14 pm

bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

there are so many annoying things said in this comment. first dont even start to tell me that those shirts were not made because of amundson being accused of recruiting. second, the whole point of the newspapers was to crumble them and throw them on the ground like trash..if not explain to me why you had newspapers. and third i really do not see why it is disrespectful to say braves after the national anthem. in most games the game pretty much starts right after the anthem in just happened that in this game we had to wait for the flag to be walked off the court to start so it made it seem a little odd when braves was yelled and it went quiet. but i dont think it is disrespectful
threeball
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby threeball » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:18 pm

bballstud101 wrote:
threeball wrote:

so he wins by too much to win coach of the year?
threeball
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby O_Snap » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:04 am

What did they flyer's or newspapers.. say ???
O_Snap

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:06 am

O_Snap wrote:What did they flyer's or newspapers.. say ???

the remade the mandan school song like we will give your dads jobs if you come to play and it ended like we dont care about decentsy of fair play as long as we get the win

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby whocares? » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:09 am

threeball wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

there are so many annoying things said in this comment. first dont even start to tell me that those shirts were not made because of amundson being accused of recruiting. second, the whole point of the newspapers was to crumble them and throw them on the ground like trash..if not explain to me why you had newspapers. and third i really do not see why it is disrespectful to say braves after the national anthem. in most games the game pretty much starts right after the anthem in just happened that in this game we had to wait for the flag to be walked off the court to start so it made it seem a little odd when braves was yelled and it went quiet. but i dont think it is disrespectful

wow. many schools have used newspapers before. we held them up in almost all the home games this year and a few away games. we have thrown them on the ground everytime. it had nothing to do with us thinking mandan is trashy. what else are we supposed to do with them? we hold them up because we don't care about the other team. its  not meant to desrespect anyone. whats wrong with the t-shirts? everyone is saying that mandan is so good because of their program going throuh elementary schools and all that, but then why does amundsun always bring in a player from somewhere else that always makes the diffrence. and it is also bs that recruiting is legal on the reservations. oh yeah, back to the trashy thing, check out this pic taken at wda, even mandan people think they are trashy......

whocares?

Postby bballstud101 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:17 am

whocares? wrote:
threeball wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

wow. many schools have used newspapers before. we held them up in almost all the home games this year and a few away games. we have thrown them on the ground everytime. it had nothing to do with us thinking mandan is trashy. what else are we supposed to do with them? we hold them up because we don't care about the other team. its  not meant to desrespect anyone. whats wrong with the t-shirts? everyone is saying that mandan is so good because of their program going throuh elementary schools and all that, but then why does amundsun always bring in a player from somewhere else that always makes the diffrence. and it is also bs that recruiting is legal on the reservations. oh yeah, back to the trashy thing, check out this pic taken at wda, even mandan people think they are trashy......

Ok threeball let me explain this again. They didn't yell their mascot AFTER the national anthem, they yelled it DURING!!!! You know when they say "and the home of the brave" that is when they yelled it, which is disrespectful to the brave men and women fighting for our country.
bballstud101
NDPreps Rookie

Postby WildWarrior » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:34 am

threeball wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
threeball wrote:

so he wins by too much to win coach of the year?

I am guessing that most of his peers don't appreciate starters in for mop up duty just because the inexperienced 3rd string makes a mistake.  Same exact reason Heidi Stuberg didn't win coach of the year.  You can't really stuff off the people that vote for the award and expect to win.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:43 am

actually I would bet that Stuberg did not win it because DL was expected to win the EDC and didn't do that.  Coaches that win it are coaches that have teams that overachieve.  That is why Meier and Jacobson were up for it along with the coaches of the winners of EDC and WDA in Amundson and Flaagen.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:24 am

I think the Bismarck schools just have a hard time losing to Mandan in anything.  To me it just adds to the aura of invincibility.  I honestly think Mandan is up 10 before they even jump the ball.  If you have people taking the time to make flyers and t-shirts about you, that means you are the top dog on the porch and the others are wimpering. :cool:

Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bb12 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 am

whocares? wrote:
threeball wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

Not taking anything away from marley, she's a great player!!! but her and any other girl that moved to mandan in the passed hasn't made the difference in a game.  They help the team but mandan would have won if they hadn't moved here.  Mandan had 3 girls make all tournament team and guesss what...all 3 were home grown talent.
bb12
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Baller » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:52 am

you are trying to tell me that Kayla Rogers and Kari Hanson didn't make a big difference??????  Maybe Marlee Finlee didn't, but the others sure did!!
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsmart » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:53 am

I have been reading on here and have to say a few things.  First off Congratulations Mandan and coach Amundson!!!  You guys are first class and have a first class program that everyone else should try and model!!  Century fans you were out of hand.  Grow up and let the kids play the game and let the best team win.  As far as this stupid recruiting thing.... enough already!!!  If recruiting is/was going on then the rest of you are idiots for not doing it!!!!  everone is just jealous of a dynasty.  I am disappointed that adults acted like the Century parents did.  I can expect it from students, but not adults.  Shame on you all.  What kind of role modeling is that???? Congrats Braves.  I am just a basketball fan in ND and I think you have lots to hold your heads up about.  If I were ever to move out west I would choose the Mandan area!!!!
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:03 pm

Baller wrote:you are trying to tell me that Kayla Rogers and Kari Hanson didn't make a big difference??????  Maybe Marlee Finlee didn't, but the others sure did!!

Mandan has played in 11 of the last 12 state championships.  Kayla played 2005,2006 and Marlee played 2007.  That still leaves 8 state championships they got to or won.  Sorry I don't know the Kari Hanson story, where did she transfer from?

Marlee made a big impact this year on the defense with steals and rebounding.  I'm glad she transfered so I got a chance to see her play.  I've never spoken to her personally but she seems like a very nice young lady.  And I loved all the t-shirts her family had.  I think she had as big of a cheering section as some of the other schools.
Last edited by Deuce on Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby finfam06 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:09 pm

bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

Century had fans dressed up as Native Americans wearing Marlee Finley's number 30, head band, feathers, and fringes on shirt (Seen picture to prove it), to mock her and make fun of her heritage! Century fans are the worst and so are the parents, coaches, and everything affiliated with that school! The ndhsaas should look view the picture that was taken and let them see for themselves how bad Century represented their school. As Finley's Uncle, it angers me hear these comments and to see pictures of others mocking her our Native American Heritage! Glad to see your homegrown talent didnt get you anywhere! 
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bawlhogg701 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:42 pm

Congrats Mandan on the big win over Century and especially finsihing it up with the tough fought victory over DL in the title match!! I can understand Century HS's frustration, I think they felt like it was supposed to be their year with all their seniors. However Century's sportsmanship was uncalled for and to single out a few players and make fun of a persons heritage is real sickening. I think Century HS should offer a class on teaching "class" because that kind of behavior is classless.
Last edited by bawlhogg701 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<{I Ball}>
bawlhogg701
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballstud101 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:31 pm

finfam06 wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

Century had fans dressed up as Native Americans wearing Marlee Finley's number 30, head band, feathers, and fringes on shirt (Seen picture to prove it), to mock her and make fun of her heritage! Century fans are the worst and so are the parents, coaches, and everything affiliated with that school! The ndhsaas should look view the picture that was taken and let them see for themselves how bad Century represented their school. As Finley's Uncle, it angers me hear these comments and to see pictures of others mocking her our Native American Heritage! Glad to see your homegrown talent didnt get you anywhere!
If this truly happened, then yes a line was crossed but I was at the tournament all weekend and saw 1 person (not all the Century fans) with a headband and a red, white, and blue feather sticking out the top but I never saw a number 30 on it. Why don't you post the picture online so we can see it?
bballstud101
NDPreps Rookie

Postby whocares? » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:01 pm

finfam06 wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

i wouldnt say that one person with a headband, yes only one person was wearing a headband with a feather, nor fringes or any other native american related stuff. was making fun of her heritage. it was directed at the mandan BRAVES. i also saw some of these headbands at the CHS homecoming game....which was also against the mandan braves. i can see how you could take it badly like that because if it was how you saw it, but it wasnt, then the person should be punished, but it wasnt hwo you saw it. no one was making fun of marlee or her heritage at all.

and what else did century do that was so bad? everyone keeps saying that we are the worst fans out here. but how can we be the worst fans when we have pretty much by far the least amount of students at everygame? what did the chs parents do that was so bad?
whocares?

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:35 pm

whocares? wrote:
threeball wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

recruiting is legal everywhere as long as no money is involved and if you want to call marlee coming to mandan recruiting which her family openly denies that is your choice but since recruiting involves money and scholarships that is a horrible word to use to describe that try the word persuading

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby whocares? » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:03 pm

cdub1 wrote:
whocares? wrote:
threeball wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

recruiting is legal everywhere as long as no money is involved and if you want to call marlee coming to mandan recruiting which her family openly denies that is your choice but since recruiting involves money and scholarships that is a horrible word to use to describe that try the word persuading
well i meant something else. if you transfer from a reservation you dont have to sit out the certain time that if you transfer from a different school. but that doesnt really have anything to do with this because she would have been here 6 weeks already. id still call amundsun a recruiter even if he tried to persuade finley to go to mandan. that isnt needed in high school basketball. i know i wouldnt want jeske to do it here.
Last edited by whocares? on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whocares?

PreviousNext

Return to Girls