Century vs Mandan

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:07 pm

i think if century would have got lets say delle donne to go to their school they would brag about it constantly and wouldnt care wut ppl say about recruiting if it happened

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:42 pm

cdub1 wrote:recruiting is legal everywhere as long as no money is involved and if you want to call marlee coming to mandan recruiting which her family openly denies that is your choice but since recruiting involves money and scholarships that is a horrible word to use to describe that try the word persuading

Does anybody actually know what the rules are?  I was told that a coach could not make first contact with a player and try to pursuade them to transfer to his school (recruit)  If the player made first contact with the coach then it was "legal".  Lots of loopholes but I believe this to be true.  Are people saying that Amundson is making first contact with players he is interested in?  If this is the case and it  can be proved - a coach could be suspended.   I have been meaning to ask the NDHSAA but keep on forgetting.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:53 pm

EDC wrote:
cdub1 wrote:recruiting is legal everywhere as long as no money is involved and if you want to call marlee coming to mandan recruiting which her family openly denies that is your choice but since recruiting involves money and scholarships that is a horrible word to use to describe that try the word persuading

Does anybody actually know what the rules are?  I was told that a coach could not make first contact with a player and try to pursuade them to transfer to his school (recruit)  If the player made first contact with the coach then it was "legal".  Lots of loopholes but I believe this to be true.  Are people saying that Amundson is making first contact with players he is interested in?  If this is the case and it  can be proved - a coach could be suspended.   I have been meaning to ask the NDHSAA but keep on forgetting.

it couldnt be proved unless a player who wuz recruited wanted to turn in a coach and that wouldnt happen

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:04 pm

cdub1 wrote:
EDC wrote:

it couldnt be proved unless a player who wuz recruited wanted to turn in a coach and that wouldnt happen
So, your stance has changed from recruiting is legal to it is OK because nobody will turn in a coach?  What are you saying?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:10 pm

EDC wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
EDC wrote:

So, your stance has changed from recruiting is legal to it is OK because nobody will turn in a coach?  What are you saying?

i still think it is legal but if it isnt i still think it is but if it isnt nobody will find out because a player wont turn in a coach

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:11 pm

cdub1 wrote:
EDC wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
EDC wrote:

i still think it is legal but if it isnt i still think it is but if it isnt nobody will find out because a player wont turn in a coach

someone that was recruited and did not go could very well turn in that coach that tried.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:13 pm

Baller wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
EDC wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
EDC wrote:

someone that was recruited and did not go could very well turn in that coach that tried.

that is true but then you are gonna have he said she said and i dont think a coach is gonna lose his job over wut one or two people say now 5 or 10 is a lil different

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Stromer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:29 pm

Why do people have a problem with recruiting anyways?  I mean if a family is desperate enough to pack up and move their family to another town just so their kids can play on a better team or get a better education, than props to them.  I will look at them as being traitors to their town but hey they can do whatever they want.  I dont like it when kids leave class B schools to go to a class A school for a better education, because I know class B schools have great education as well.  I think they are cowards for leaving but its their choice.  Mandan has a good bball team and girls want to play there.  If the girls family contacts Mandan's coach or any other schools and is willing to move there, why not let them?  The town they came from will probably loook down on them, fans across the state will taunt the school they transfer to about recruiting, but thats the price you pay.  Mandan should be proud that girls want to come there, other schools should be jealous of Mandan, other schools fans should taunt them, and Mandan fans should know they will get taunted and take it like adults.  So far I only see the first 3 happening. 
Last edited by Stromer on Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbfollower » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:30 am

You are right, they are jealous of Mandan. It is when it starts to get childish or they are saying things about certain players that it starts to get ridiculous and hurtful. It is not that Mandan fans/players cannot take it, obviously the girls can. It is just that these are young ladies/children we are talking about. Give them a break. I realize people are tired of hearing Mandan, Mandan, Mandan all the time. However, these girls work hard and deserve it. Just ask John Wooden.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby finfam06 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:25 am

I must apologize for my comments yesterday in regards to Century fan's wearing feathers and headbands. My nephew (Val) corrected me and indicated that if I wasn't at the game, I should not be making comments regarding his daughter (my niece). He indicated that he reads the blobs but does not care to reply because they have followed all the rules in regards to Marlee transferring. Another point that he mentioned is that Marlee moved from Bismarck as an eighth grader to Four Winds up until last year. She played on traveling teams while living and going to school in Bismarck with Messer, Gilbertson, Fenney's, Lenihan, and Shannon S. People don't know that Marlee grew up in Bismarck where her dad worked at United Tribes and her mother taught at Solen/Cannon Ball. The majority of Marlee's family lives in the Bismarck/Mandan area. Marlee's dad indicated that at the State "A" Tournament, there were over fifty (50) family members in attendance to support her from both sides! So Val if you read this please accept my apologies.
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bbfollower » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:12 am

My parents were at the State A tournament this week-end and my mom mentioned how neat she thought it was that Marlee had so many supporters and how cute the little girls were. We in Mandan know that Marlee did live in this area before and then transferred and now transferred to Mandan. We welcome Marlee!!!!  
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby sioux75 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:50 am

The rules are located at:

http://www.ndhsaa.com/publications/constitution/two.pdf

On page 33 there is a provision on undue influence to get someone to transfer into the school to play sports.  It seems to be limited to offering some remuneration money or free rent, or moving expenses or some other priveledge not offered to other students.  I don't think this goes on anywhere in North Dakota and certainly not in Mandan.
sioux75

Postby finfam06 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:40 am

sioux75 wrote:The rules are located at:

http://www.ndhsaa.com/publications/constitution/two.pdf

On page 33 there is a provision on undue influence to get someone to transfer into the school to play sports.  It seems to be limited to offering some remuneration money or free rent, or moving expenses or some other priveledge not offered to other students.  I don't think this goes on anywhere in North Dakota and certainly not in Mandan.

I can say this though, Marlee transferred after the 3rd quarter to Mandan from Four Winds and she had to sitout until the 90-day waiting period was up to participate in any sport. The rules will change on July 1st, where I believe that if if athlete transfers, they must sit out the whole year if the parents don't relocate with them. Marlee is not from Four Winds as most people might think. Father is from Fort Berthold and mother is from Standing Rock! Both schools would love to have Marlee play for them but she is a true Mandan Brave! Marlee's father is part of the Mandan Tribe for which Mandan is actually named after if you know your history
finfam06
NDPreps Reserve

Postby laughing@allofyou » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:44 pm

Last edited by laughing@allofyou on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laughing@allofyou
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:46 pm

bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:
flyguy wrote:Centurys sportsmanship was aweful at the game. First off their tshirts are extremely trashy. Their home grown talent will likely be good enough for a 3rd place finish. Second off their are no rules against recruiting so get off Greg Amundsons back!!!!Third off during the introductions it was aweful that they all held newspapers during the mandan introductions(newspapers were taken because of bad content) and then at the end of the introductions they threw them away meaning mandan is trash. Grow up century fans and kids and most of all parents.

i totally agree they completely unsportsanlike, the flyers they gave out about the school song was disgusting, and i thought at least the parents would be more classy, but no, they turned their backs when mandan was getting introduced
I am a Century fan and was at the game on Friday and I feel we need to set a few things straight.

First off, Century did NOT print up flyers about the school song. I have heard rumors as to what school did but as I am not 100% positive, and I'm not going to be starting anymore rumors as to who did print them but I can say for sure that is was NOT Century.

Second, I do not understand why people are so offended by our shirts that say "WE love our Home Grown Talent." We are not saying anything about any school other than Century and if anyone is offended by them, then their talent must not be home grown and that is not our problem.

Third, The newspapers during introductions is not a new thing. As Century students, we have done that lots of times this year and it is not just a vs. Mandan thing. Also, what are you suppose to do with the newspapers when the introductions are over, put them on a nice neat pile? No you crumple them up because it is game time. If Mandan people took that the wrong way then they must have really low self-esteem, which again is not our problem.

However, one thing Century students did not do is shout their mascot during the national anthem after we have just been told to be respectful. People are thinking about their friends and family over fighting for our county in Iraq and I find it rude and inappropriate that Mandan fans did that during our national anthem.

Well the newspaper thing is off "Mystery Alaska" a hockey movie, and the school i first witnessed do it was minot about 5 years back. So don't really give yourself real credit for it since it was started at a hockey game and it should have stayed there it belongs in a rink not in a gym.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby laughing@allofyou » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:00 pm

bballstud101 wrote:
finfam06 wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:
flyguy wrote:Centurys sportsmanship was aweful at the game. First off their tshirts are extremely trashy. Their home grown talent will likely be good enough for a 3rd place finish. Second off their are no rules against recruiting so get off Greg Amundsons back!!!!Third off during the introductions it was aweful that they all held newspapers during the mandan introductions(newspapers were taken because of bad content) and then at the end of the introductions they threw them away meaning mandan is trash. Grow up century fans and kids and most of all parents.

i totally agree they completely unsportsanlike, the flyers they gave out about the school song was disgusting, and i thought at least the parents would be more classy, but no, they turned their backs when mandan was getting introduced
I am a Century fan and was at the game on Friday and I feel we need to set a few things straight.

First off, Century did NOT print up flyers about the school song. I have heard rumors as to what school did but as I am not 100% positive, and I'm not going to be starting anymore rumors as to who did print them but I can say for sure that is was NOT Century.

Second, I do not understand why people are so offended by our shirts that say "WE love our Home Grown Talent." We are not saying anything about any school other than Century and if anyone is offended by them, then their talent must not be home grown and that is not our problem.

Third, The newspapers during introductions is not a new thing. As Century students, we have done that lots of times this year and it is not just a vs. Mandan thing. Also, what are you suppose to do with the newspapers when the introductions are over, put them on a nice neat pile? No you crumple them up because it is game time. If Mandan people took that the wrong way then they must have really low self-esteem, which again is not our problem.

However, one thing Century students did not do is shout their mascot during the national anthem after we have just been told to be respectful. People are thinking about their friends and family over fighting for our county in Iraq and I find it rude and inappropriate that Mandan fans did that during our national anthem.

Century had fans dressed up as Native Americans wearing Marlee Finley's number 30, head band, feathers, and fringes on shirt (Seen picture to prove it), to mock her and make fun of her heritage! Century fans are the worst and so are the parents, coaches, and everything affiliated with that school! The ndhsaas should look view the picture that was taken and let them see for themselves how bad Century represented their school. As Finley's Uncle, it angers me hear these comments and to see pictures of others mocking her our Native American Heritage! Glad to see your homegrown talent didnt get you anywhere!
If this truly happened, then yes a line was crossed but I was at the tournament all weekend and saw 1 person (not all the Century fans) with a headband and a red, white, and blue feather sticking out the top but I never saw a number 30 on it. Why don't you post the picture online so we can see it?
Here's what you want to see. It's just really sad that people stoop to these levels. Sportsmanship is a main part of the game. Appearantly some schools don't have it and thats why they don't win!
laughing@allofyou
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bballstud101 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:21 pm

Ditka14 wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

Well the newspaper thing is off "Mystery Alaska" a hockey movie, and the school i first witnessed do it was minot about 5 years back. So don't really give yourself real credit for it since it was started at a hockey game and it should have stayed there it belongs in a rink not in a gym.
Oh yeah, I know Century didn't start the newspaper thing (I know lots of other schools have done it before) and I don't mean to sound like we are taking credit for it, I just wanted to make the point that by crumpling up the newspaper we are not saying anyone is trash, we are just crumpling them up.
bballstud101
NDPreps Rookie

Postby whocares? » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:27 pm

laughing@allofyou wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
finfam06 wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

Century had fans dressed up as Native Americans wearing Marlee Finley's number 30, head band, feathers, and fringes on shirt (Seen picture to prove it), to mock her and make fun of her heritage! Century fans are the worst and so are the parents, coaches, and everything affiliated with that school! The ndhsaas should look view the picture that was taken and let them see for themselves how bad Century represented their school. As Finley's Uncle, it angers me hear these comments and to see pictures of others mocking her our Native American Heritage! Glad to see your homegrown talent didnt get you anywhere!
If this truly happened, then yes a line was crossed but I was at the tournament all weekend and saw 1 person (not all the Century fans) with a headband and a red, white, and blue feather sticking out the top but I never saw a number 30 on it. Why don't you post the picture online so we can see it?
Here's what you want to see. It's just really sad that people stoop to these levels. Sportsmanship is a main part of the game. Appearantly some schools don't have it and thats why they don't win!

thanks for posting that picture. i never noticed the jersey had the number 30. and put two and two together. if it was on purpose then it was way out of line and it sure looks like it was. but it was one fan. that doesnt mean that century doesn't have sportsmanship, just that one fan. no one else for chs dressed up like that
whocares?

Postby REbound » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:00 pm

It really amazes me that you arm chair coaches think that you know the game.  Look at the stats.  Jessica K. and the rest of the starts play just about half of the game.  Mandan has never put their starters in at the end of a game.  You said that your do not want to start any more rumors.  If you do not know the facts, please do not open your mouth.  A Bismarck high parent is the one who wrote the school song.  I know this for a fact.  The Century fan held up signs during the game about they love their home grown talent.  Jeske given his team host a shirt like that to wear during the game is very low class. 
REbound
NDPreps Rookie

Postby whocares? » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:38 pm

i dont get the big deal about the t-shirts. its simple. we DO love our homegrown talent. all of our players have gone to century their whole high school careers and have not been transferred in. it hints towards mandan but they just state a simple fact.
whocares?

Postby bbfollower » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:25 pm

whocares? wrote:i dont get the big deal about the t-shirts. its simple. we DO love our homegrown talent. all of our players have gone to century their whole high school careers and have not been transferred in. it hints towards mandan but they just state a simple fact.

You are the first one to halfway admit that the T-shirts were aimed towards Mandan.  We also love our home grown talent, but also anyone who wants to come to our school, not just the people born and raised in Mandan.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:42 pm

bballstud101 wrote:
Ditka14 wrote:
bballstud101 wrote:
cornerback*22 wrote:

Oh yeah, I know Century didn't start the newspaper thing (I know lots of other schools have done it before) and I don't mean to sound like we are taking credit for it, I just wanted to make the point that by crumpling up the newspaper we are not saying anyone is trash, we are just crumpling them up.

I don't find the newspaper at all disrecpecful at all i mean im from Mandan and i wanted to do that awhile ago, just that if i did start that our ad and principle would proboly suspened me or get a crap load of detention. I would crumble them up every minot game ive seen in hockey they just simply rip them in half or they just crumble them up. It was just creativity that the movie mystery alaska creators started. 
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballstud101 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:49 pm

REbound wrote:It really amazes me that you arm chair coaches think that you know the game.  Look at the stats.  Jessica K. and the rest of the starts play just about half of the game.  Mandan has never put their starters in at the end of a game.  You said that your do not want to start any more rumors.  If you do not know the facts, please do not open your mouth.  A Bismarck high parent is the one who wrote the school song.  I know this for a fact.  The Century fan held up signs during the game about they love their home grown talent.  Jeske given his team host a shirt like that to wear during the game is very low class.
Then you must not have been at the Mandan- Red River game at state this year because Mandan was already up by 50 points and Amandson put his starts back in with 6 minutes left. I know, I was there. I also talked to a Red River parent later that day and she said her daughter was so humiliated after the game that she did not want to come out of the locker room and I think that is terrible for high school sports.
bballstud101
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cdub1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:51 pm

bballstud101 wrote:
REbound wrote:It really amazes me that you arm chair coaches think that you know the game.  Look at the stats.  Jessica K. and the rest of the starts play just about half of the game.  Mandan has never put their starters in at the end of a game.  You said that your do not want to start any more rumors.  If you do not know the facts, please do not open your mouth.  A Bismarck high parent is the one who wrote the school song.  I know this for a fact.  The Century fan held up signs during the game about they love their home grown talent.  Jeske given his team host a shirt like that to wear during the game is very low class.
Then you must not have been at the Mandan- Red River game at state this year because Mandan was already up by 50 points and Amandson put his starts back in with 6 minutes left. I know, I was there. I also talked to a Red River parent later that day and she said her daughter was so humiliated after the game that she did not want to come out of the locker room and I think that is terrible for high school sports.

here is how amundson coaches if you do good you play if you dont u come out for a lil bit u do not say that the starters only were in for about a minute and then the backups and jv came back in he said to the bench watch how they do it and then put them back in he also wanted to see how luger and taken alive handle themselves with the varsity team because they will be battling for a starting spot next year

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby laughing@allofyou » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:52 pm

bballstud101 wrote:
Here's a tissue, its a game and if you're going to win you might as well win big. If tables were turned then this wouldn't even be an issue. Come on now.
laughing@allofyou
NDPreps Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Girls