Century vs Mandan

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby demonfan74 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:00 pm

sportsman20 wrote:its a pretty huge coincidence for her to randomly grab a old t- shirt with a feather on her head and get marlees number and even if she did, wouldnt she realize the situation? she obviously brought it with anticipating a game against mandan, a team that everyone in century hates. even if it was innattentional im sure numerous students recognized the "coincidence" right away and were talking about it.she couldve changed clothes or had taken the feather off to make the situation at least a little better. but i was there and she left everything on for the whole game. yeah i understand why everyone from century wont admit it was on purpose, because im sure the whole student section knew it wasnt a coincidence and just thought it was funny. i wouldnt admit it was on purpose either, adds more bad reputation to there already bad resume'.

no im not from mandan, i attend fargo south and i thought this was the worst display of sportsmanship that i have seen.i dont care if you hate mandan or not, making fun of someones heritage is completely wrong

To be quite honest, I didn't realize the situation.  I had no idea what anyone was talking about until I looked at the picture.  I've seen old-school jerseys like that from many schools around the area: bhs, sm, and chs for sure. 

If the jersey had patriots crossed out and mandan written instead, then I would believe it.  However, I do not.  Like I said before, I think you and other mandan fans are trying to get sympathy from others (and it obviously isn't coming from me) just because they've been under the radar. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbfollower » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:24 pm

demonfan74 wrote:
sportsman20 wrote:its a pretty huge coincidence for her to randomly grab a old t- shirt with a feather on her head and get marlees number and even if she did, wouldnt she realize the situation? she obviously brought it with anticipating a game against mandan, a team that everyone in century hates. even if it was innattentional im sure numerous students recognized the "coincidence" right away and were talking about it.she couldve changed clothes or had taken the feather off to make the situation at least a little better. but i was there and she left everything on for the whole game. yeah i understand why everyone from century wont admit it was on purpose, because im sure the whole student section knew it wasnt a coincidence and just thought it was funny. i wouldnt admit it was on purpose either, adds more bad reputation to there already bad resume'.

no im not from mandan, i attend fargo south and i thought this was the worst display of sportsmanship that i have seen.i dont care if you hate mandan or not, making fun of someones heritage is completely wrong

To be quite honest, I didn't realize the situation.  I had no idea what anyone was talking about until I looked at the picture.  I've seen old-school jerseys like that from many schools around the area: bhs, sm, and chs for sure. 

If the jersey had patriots crossed out and mandan written instead, then I would believe it.  However, I do not.  Like I said before, I think you and other mandan fans are trying to get sympathy from others (and it obviously isn't coming from me) just because they've been under the radar. 

Oh Demon Fan, how you delude yourself.  It is not the fact that it is an OLD JERSEY, the fact is, she had Marlee's number on plus a feather. Coincidence. I think not.  Besides, sportsman is not from Mandan. Read the post. I don't believe that the Braves are trying to get anyone's sympathy. Why do we need sympathy, we are 5-time state champions.

Sportsman: You are a pretty neutral party, so I believe that your take on it is pretty on target and you are also right, making fun of someone's heritage is completely wrong.   
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDVBBB » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:39 pm

I have to weigh in on the subject.  I've done a little digging and found that the "jersey" actually belongs to the girl's older brother.  The number is purely coincidence - the brother could not have known that years down the road the #30 would cause this much turmoil.  The "jersey" is actual just a shirt made to look like a jersey and was never worn in an athletic competition - it was always a fan shirt.   The fan just wanted to wear a CHS Patriot athletic looking shirt to support her team.  Not everyone has a closet full of "fan" wear.

There is obviously a lot of sensitivity surrounding Native Americans and Native American mascots, and this is sure showing up in these postings.  But I guess when the UND Fighting Sioux are under the pressure to change their name, anything that even remotely suggests negative connotations about Native Americans would be challenged.

Let's move on - Let it drop.  Go Fighting Sioux!!
NDVBBB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby demonfan74 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:21 pm

bbfollower wrote:
demonfan74 wrote:

Oh Demon Fan, how you delude yourself.  It is not the fact that it is an OLD JERSEY, the fact is, she had Marlee's number on plus a feather. Coincidence. I think not.  Besides, sportsman is not from Mandan. Read the post. I don't believe that the Braves are trying to get anyone's sympathy. Why do we need sympathy, we are 5-time state champions.

Sportsman: You are a pretty neutral party, so I believe that your take on it is pretty on target and you are also right, making fun of someone's heritage is completely wrong.   

You read the post.  I never said sportsman was from mandan.  Why do they want sympathy? Because no one wants to give them credit for the state championships because everyone is sick of hearing about them and their transfers.  I don't mind giving them credit even with the accusations, but I am sick of their attitudes of "everyone is attacking us and we didn't do anything wrong".  

THANK YOU NDVBBB!! I was correct in assuming the jersey was not directed at finlee.  And yes, I agree making fun of someone's heritage is completely wrong, but I don't think that girl was.  If she had chanted derrogatory cheers, then by all means I'm on your side, but she didn't!
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:40 pm

How do you know she didn't make any derogatory comments?  I am not saying she did but as most of us have seen making statements that can't be proven tend to lead to arguments.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby whocares? » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:02 pm

umm i was right in the middle of the student section and i am pretty sure i heard no one talking about it. but wait am i deaf?
whocares?

Postby whocares? » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:03 pm

Tiger Pride wrote:How do you know she didn't make any derogatory comments?  I am not saying she did but as most of us have seen making statements that can't be proven tend to lead to arguments.
i am starting to think that anything a century fan(or even any fan that yells at mandan) would yell would be considered derogatory and bad sportsmanship. your supposed to try and get in the other teams head. and if you dont yell at the other team what are you supposed to do?

there is such a huge crowd of mandan people crying every single time that something is said against them. every little thing is meant to disrespect them. well maybe if your students would quit dressing in garbge bags like the picture i posted a couple pages ago and maybe if you didnt run up the score and maybe if you didnt yell during the national anthem and maybe if you won the state championships with your own players then maybe, just maybeyou will get some respect from me.
Last edited by whocares? on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whocares?

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:30 pm

Here lies the problem.  You are supposed to get into the other teams head?

How about cheer on your team. 

Deaf and Dumb?????????????
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby bbfollower » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:54 pm

whocares? wrote:
Tiger Pride wrote:How do you know she didn't make any derogatory comments?  I am not saying she did but as most of us have seen making statements that can't be proven tend to lead to arguments.
i am starting to think that anything a century fan(or even any fan that yells at mandan) would yell would be considered derogatory and bad sportsmanship. your supposed to try and get in the other teams head. and if you dont yell at the other team what are you supposed to do?

there is such a huge crowd of mandan people crying every single time that something is said against them. every little thing is meant to disrespect them. well maybe if your students would quit dressing in garbge bags like the picture i posted a couple pages ago and maybe if you didnt run up the score and maybe if you didnt yell during the national anthem and maybe if you won the state championships with your own players then maybe, just maybeyou will get some respect from me.

Finley was the only player that hasn't been in Mandan for at least 3 years. Kielpinski, Jensen, Kelsch, Kraft, Gannon, Collins, Strandemo, Hermanson, Luger, Helmers, Zander, Levi have all been in Mandan most, if not all of their lives. Oh, excuse me, ShanLee Takenalive came this year, but she made 3 points in the state tournament, so her points really didn't make a difference (especially since they were in the first game of the tournament).  Also, what was expected of Mandan in that first game, for the girls off the bench to just stand there and let the other team play. I think the object of the game is to play. Mandan had their bench in quite a bit of the game. Mr. Amundson would put in his starting line-up for a brief amount of time to let the younger girls see how they did it and then brought the starting 5 out. I just do not understand why people think the score was run up when Mandan's bench made 27 points to Grand Forks Red Rivers total of 30. Just an observation.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Uptown » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:04 pm

whocares? wrote:

I think your comments are very sad... these are very scary comments... I think you need to do your homework and quit being so defensive and judgemental.. respect is won on the court... with a win. Mandan deserves the respect. If you cant stand to see that...then work harder on your game and beat them.
Uptown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:13 pm

whocares? wrote:

when i saw Mandan play Century the only time i heard there fans yell during the national anthem is when it said "home of the brave" and they yell on Brave...which last time i checked was their school nickname so yea.  whats the difference between the students yelling BRAVE or the person next to u in the stand singing the whole time.  its the same thing they jsut yell the one word instead of the whole thing.  whats worse that or GF Red River fans yelling "sioux" at the same time.....id call that more disrespectful since its not even the same word, or the nickname for that matter so its jsut done cuz there is a college in the town that does it??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:39 pm

people being easly offended by this is terriable and that is why everybody or most people in america have slits between their legs insted of cahonas  because we all know every school has every number of every jersey they have ever wore get real people and have you ever thought of this maybe the race played absolutly no role and none of the fans noticed they were so consumed in a unbelievably good game of basketball that no one looked at race they looked a 10 girls on the same court pouring their hearts into a game in which the winner was almost a shoe in to win state and not for one instance ever at the fargo dome it wasent about race and it was about the art show these girls were putting on with all of them on the same plane not noticing hight race weight looks hair color head bands none of it they were all the same leaving it all on the court ohh wait thats not possiable because in america you could wear a friggin sombrerro on the boarder of New Mexico and people would find it offensive because you are mocking mexico get real people how can race play a role in everything i dont care who i offended because in 1 day there will be at least 10 people boo hooing about this post 
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby just a bb fan » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:24 am

whocares? wrote:

i think who cares is exactly right.  anything anyone says that isn't good about mandan, they say is derogatory.  it is so easy (and sometimes fun) just to say something because you know mandan people will start crying about it.  they think if you don't like mandan and don't gush all over their program, something is wrong with you.  it might be WE SIMPLY DON'T LIKE MANDAN WHETHER THEY WIN OR LOSE.  we are all entitled to our opinion, too, not just mandan people. 
just a bb fan

Postby cdub1 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:29 am

just a bb fan wrote:
whocares? wrote:

i think who cares is exactly right.  anything anyone says that isn't good about mandan, they say is derogatory.  it is so easy (and sometimes fun) just to say something because you know mandan people will start crying about it.  they think if you don't like mandan and don't gush all over their program, something is wrong with you.  it might be WE SIMPLY DON'T LIKE MANDAN WHETHER THEY WIN OR LOSE.  we are all entitled to our opinion, too, not just mandan people. 

u are entitled to ur opinion as am i and im pretty much the only mandan person that posts in here neway and i dont really cry about ne of this i just love to argue about recruiting

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ditka14 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:44 am

just a bb fan wrote:
whocares? wrote:

I simply don't like bismarck so its ok, i prefer mandan over bismarck 100 out of 100 times so get over yourself
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby chsalumni » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:38 am

[font=Times New Roman][size=25]As my name says I am a CHS alumni, so obviously I have pride in my school, but I would like to think I have some mature pride and would like to make some MATURE comments to defend some innocent bystanders that is outrageous feud has brought in. Basically what I am trying to say is everything I will write in this blog is factual and non-emotional, as this board seems to have too much of that. You can comment back with whatever you want but I dont care. Century Students, Parents and Fans know they are high class, and your jealous opinion isnt going to change that. I found out about this board because I am friends with the infamous “CHS StuCo presidentâ€Â
chsalumni
NDPreps Rookie

Postby laughing@allofyou » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:10 am

[quote="chsalumni"][font=Times New Roman][size=25]As my name says I am a CHS alumni, so obviously I have pride in my school, but I would like to think I have some mature pride and would like to make some MATURE comments to defend some innocent bystanders that is outrageous feud has brought in. Basically what I am trying to say is everything I will write in this blog is factual and non-emotional, as this board seems to have too much of that. You can comment back with whatever you want but I dont care. Century Students, Parents and Fans know they are high class, and your jealous opinion isnt going to change that. I found out about this board because I am friends with the infamous “CHS StuCo presidentâ€Â
laughing@allofyou
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ditka14 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:06 am

[quote="chsalumni"][font=Times New Roman][size=25]As my name says I am a CHS alumni, so obviously I have pride in my school, but I would like to think I have some mature pride and would like to make some MATURE comments to defend some innocent bystanders that is outrageous feud has brought in. Basically what I am trying to say is everything I will write in this blog is factual and non-emotional, as this board seems to have too much of that. You can comment back with whatever you want but I dont care. Century Students, Parents and Fans know they are high class, and your jealous opinion isnt going to change that. I found out about this board because I am friends with the infamous “CHS StuCo presidentâ€Â
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby cd » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:16 am

cd writes in response to Century parents, fans and students being such high class!! You know some of the behaviors that have gone on between Century and Mandan are inexcusable.  Perhaps you can say that your principal or whoever sits with the students - that is all well and good perhaps they should sit and shut down some of the parents.  The shirts that SOME of the century parents wore to the Mandan/Century game I likened to teenagers wearing them but PARENTS.  You would think that if Century parents are so "classy" as you say that they wouldn't bring themselves down so low to wear those "silly" shirts - it actually made them look pretty immature.  Kudos to the parents who chose not to lower themselves to the ridiculous.  Many other towns were wondering what these "goofy" shirts were all about.  All I could tell them is to ask the parents/fans who thought they had homegrown talent.  Every town has homegrown talent so I don't know what the big deal was for Century to advertise this fact except maybe because Mandan had a transfer in student that played with the team this year and matter of fact was quite good.   But this girl did not win the games for Mandan, it was a combination of girls who have worked hard together and are willing to accept girls whether they have played with them all through their school years or a year or two.  No One can tell me that ALL schools have not had a student transfer in at some point in time.   

I understand how hard it was for Century to lose to Mandan as they are both good teams and as always one team has to win and one team has to lose.

cd
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbfollower » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:30 am

chsalumni wrote:[font=Times New Roman]Century Students, Parents and Fans know they are high class, and your jealous opinion isnt going to change that. [/font] 

This is perhaps why CHS is not as well liked overall as say BHS or SMCHS. This attitude has been around since I was in high school in the 1980s. Just because you might live and/or go to school in a "high class neighborhood" does not make you high class. Class is defined not where you live, but how you conduct yourself. Obviously when you feel that you are above everyone else, people are not going to care for you. I realize that you probably don't care and that is okay, but before you from CHS that feel you are better than everyone else (and that does not include everyone that does or has attended CHS, I have known some CHS students that are classy), maybe you ought to take a look in the mirror and realize that you are no better than anyone else. CHS had a very excellent team and the fact is they came up just a little short in the end.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:40 am

[font=Times New Roman]Century Students, Parents and Fans know they are high class[/font]

[font=Times New Roman][/font] 

[font=Times New Roman]Apparently high class to you means that you can make fun of other people. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Sounds more like elitist views, perhaps you should move to Fargo and enjoy all of the privileges of Imperial Cass.  A friend has referred to CHS having trash day or Mandan day which is when the students dress like bums/garbage to represent Mandan.  Is this true?[/font]
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ditka14 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:01 am

Tiger Pride wrote:[font=Times New Roman]Century Students, Parents and Fans know they are high class[/font]

[font=Times New Roman][/font] 

[font=Times New Roman]Apparently high class to you means that you can make fun of other people. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman]Sounds more like elitist views, perhaps you should move to Fargo and enjoy all of the privileges of Imperial Cass.  A friend has referred to CHS having trash day or Mandan day which is when the students dress like bums/garbage to represent Mandan.  Is this true?[/font]

yeah last year CHS's student council had an offical mandan day, which most kids wore trash bags over them selves and other things. The school let this go on so not to classy
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby MHSfan » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:04 am

Wow, thats pretty bad if the administration lets it go on.  I'll agree, not to classy on CHS's part.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby demonfan74 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:12 am

Haha they also had homecoming shirts that had a recycling logo on the front.  I thought it was clever, but was somewhat surprised.  Bismarck High had a century "nerd" day, haha I heard that was pretty funny too, but no one from century complained.  Unlike mandan, they didn't take it personally, or have a representative from bhs come to century to appologize. 

About the high class issue.  It could be defined several ways.  One way being a person's income.  That, in itself, would make several students high class. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Strike3? » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:14 am

Yeah not classy, Im pretty sure that Centurys principal apoligized to Mandans Principal and then it might have been the next week but one day Century student council members came and went to high school at Mandan for one day with another Mandan student council member and then the following day Mandan student council members went to Century with a Century student council member.
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls