Lion's All-star Team

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby cdub1 » Thu May 17, 2007 2:55 pm

Wild Wolves wrote:I will bite first,

CHS- 3 players

Minot 2 players

DL 2 players

1 each from FS, FN, FSh, WF, and Mandan

On a senior heavy team Mandan got 1, a state title, one loss, nationally ranked and one.  I would never say that any one selected is not deserving but one?

kraft or kelsch deserved it but it is hard to say who to take off but i would have liked to have seen kraft or kelsch or both

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demonfan74 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:26 pm

I still don't think kraft deserved it; kelsch was a maybe in my mind, but certainly not over kielpinski or fettig.  So here is my thought, there must be more post players from the East.  They may not be more deserving than kelsch, but they have to have an equal number.  Could anyone tell me which players from the East are posts?
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu May 17, 2007 5:29 pm

demonfan74 wrote:I still don't think kraft deserved it; kelsch was a maybe in my mind, but certainly not over kielpinski or fettig.  So here is my thought, there must be more post players from the East.  They may not be more deserving than kelsch, but they have to have an equal number.  Could anyone tell me which players from the East are posts?

Hanson is the only post from the east.  The east and west get equal numbers so you would have to take someone off the west.  I never saw Minot play so I don't know anything about Adams or Sunheim, but I heard Adams is very good.

Is Kelsch a Volleyball player??
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball4 » Thu May 17, 2007 9:49 pm

demonfan74 wrote:I still don't think kraft deserved it; kelsch was a maybe in my mind, but certainly not over kielpinski or fettig.  So here is my thought, there must be more post players from the East.  They may not be more deserving than kelsch, but they have to have an equal number.  Could anyone tell me which players from the East are posts?

Kraft not deserve it....she may not have had as amazing of stats as some of the others...but being a member of 5 state title teams and cluthching up at the end when the team needed her the most....I feel she that this is just another one of the awards to add to the list that Kraft didnt get but very well deserved for her type and quality of play
baseball4

Postby demonfan74 » Fri May 18, 2007 3:53 am

baseball4 wrote:

Kraft not deserve it....she may not have had as amazing of stats as some of the others...but being a member of 5 state title teams and cluthching up at the end when the team needed her the most....I feel she that this is just another one of the awards to add to the list that Kraft didnt get but very well deserved for her type and quality of play

That's not logical thinking.  To say she should be on it just because they won isn't fair.  Mandan had better underclassmen than her.  Bismarck High had an amazing season but were lead in stats by all their underclassmen.  So just because they had a good season, their seniors should be on the team? No.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cd » Fri May 18, 2007 7:35 am

It really does seem off that Mandan only got one pick and Century got 3.  Maybe this is to make Century feel better.  Although those Mandan girls are a busy energetic bunch of girls so maybe they had other things to do or attend at the time of the tournament.  Maybe it also was to make the team more balanced!  Can't have all those  stars from Mandan on the team or Class B wouldn't have a chance.
cd
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Fri May 18, 2007 8:19 am

Is there any player on the Lions team that didnt make all conference??  

I know the coaches get together when they pick the all conference players on both EDC and WDA and at the same time they pick the Lions team... the east and west each get 6 players, so some years someone has to be left off, also if they play in the Volleyball allstar game they cant play in the Lions game.  Pattison from South was picked as an alternate for the game but she chose to play the volleyball game instead.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDHOOPWATCHER » Fri May 18, 2007 10:16 am

How many alternates are picked.  I did not see any alternates for Class A Girls.  I am sure one must have taken Steffan's place.  Does anyone know who the alternates were?
NDHOOPWATCHER
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wahoo » Fri May 18, 2007 6:23 pm

In the past how the teams were selected is that there is an "ideal team" put together and then these individuals are asked to be players.  If they are unwilling or unable then they just keep going down the list of players until the roster is filled.  It appears that the class A girls ended up using the alternates as players.  My guess is that there were more Mandan girls on the original roster but some of them opted out.
wahoo

Postby sioux75 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:15 am

Only one Mandan girl was selected to the original roster, no Mandan girl opted out of the competition.  The only one that I would guess opted out was Steffan from Dickinson, (she should have been voted on to the team). 

I don't think it is right that Mandan only had one Lion's All-star on the roster, given their record of 48-2 the last two years, two WDA regular season championships, two WDA Tournament Championships and two State Championships.  During this time Kielpinski, Kelsch and Kraft were all full time starters. 

This year Mandan averaged 8 points more per game than the second place team, (Century), and more importantly allowed 8 fewer points per game than the second place team, (also Century). Both Kraft and Kelsch were integral parts of the Braves in-your-face defense that has contributed to Mandan's success. 

Kelsch was all-conference WDA this year, and the only Senior all-conference selection not on the Lions All-Star Team, (if I'm right about Steffan). 

When Mandan only gets one selection with all of its sucess, even against Century, one has to question the three selections, (half of the WDA pics), for Century.  One must question even more the two selections from Minot, (1/3 of the WDA pics).  Minot was a .500 team that didn't even make it to state.  What's even more interesting is that one of Minot's two selections wasn't even all-conference WDA.

sioux75

Postby Baller » Mon May 21, 2007 7:24 am

Amundson is the one that picks the team after suggestions from coaches so I am not sure why you are arguing this point.  He must have seen something in the other players.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sioux75 » Mon May 21, 2007 9:40 am

As I understand it; this is the first year that the WDA coaches voted for the players, they were not picked by Amundson.  In past years coaches nominated players with the coach of the winning Class A teams having the final say in who was picked for the team. 
sioux75

Postby Baller » Mon May 21, 2007 9:42 am

Not sure about the WDA but I know that the EDC coaches only nominated their players.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballstud101 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:22 am

Anyone know when and where the Lions All Star Game is going to be played?
bballstud101
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:38 pm

bballstud101 wrote:Anyone know when and where the Lions All Star Game is going to be played?

I believe it is July 17 at the Bismarck Civic, and July 18 at the Fargo Civic...someone may want to double check that.
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDVBBB » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:10 pm

Just to comment - I went to the All-star game and I could swear that I saw both Kelsch & Kraft on the sidelines as alternates.
NDVBBB
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Uptown » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:47 pm

You did see them on the sidelines.. they were alternates.
Uptown
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Lion's All-star Team

Postby EDC » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Class A should have a bunch of tall athletic players this summer. It will be fun to see how they match up with Class B. Any predictions?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:38 pm

When is the All-star game? Is it in Fargo or Bismarck this summer?
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Eminence wrote:When is the All-star game? Is it in Fargo or Bismarck this summer?

It is in both cities.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby playdshoot3 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Does anyone know when we found out who made it on the team?
playdshoot3

Postby bballfan1 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:15 pm

is it an even number from the east/west
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:09 am

Coaches from the EDC and WDA each vote for 6 players and two alternates, so yes if everything is equal there should be the same from both sides of the state... if a player cant play(training violations) or opts to play in the volleyball summer game then the head coach (Amundson) will pick someone from the alternate list.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:18 pm

playdshoot3 wrote:Does anyone know when we found out who made it on the team?

There should be some announcement in May. Players are asked not to let others know till this press release so everybody is acknowledged at the same time.

The East all conference seniors were: Katie Johnke, Sarah Smith, Andi Wheeler, Amy Stroup, Kristen Anstadt, Mara Paulson, Lauren Carew, Jessica Pollard, and Lexi Braun. Annie Jackson could easily be named. Stroup, Smith, Paulson, and Braun (maybe others??) might have to pick between basketball and volleyball.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbplayer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:23 pm

I beleive the Class A girls will win both games in Fargo and Bismarck! Class B is too small this year to compete but it should be fun to watch.
bbplayer

PreviousNext

Return to Girls