Lion's All-star Team

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby demonfan74 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:52 pm

West:

Century - Lafrance, Fettig*

Dickinson - Steffan*

Mandan - Kielpinkski

Minot - Adams, Sundheim

Williston - Fee* (possibly)

*May play in VB All-star game (if I remember right, they can not play in both)

I didn't pick Kelsch because I have not been impressed all year.  I may be over-looking her because of Kielpinkski, but I don't see anything spectacular about her.  Since there is a limit of the number of players from the West, I left her off. She will probably make, though, because I am guessing Steffan will not participate. 
Last edited by demonfan74 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:07 pm

demonfan74 wrote:West:

Century - Lafrance, Fettig*

Dickinson - Steffan*

Mandan - Kielpinkski

Minot - Adams, Sundheim

Williston - Fee (possibly)

*May play in VB All-star game (if I remember right, they can not play in both)

I didn't pick Kelsch because I have not been impressed all year.  I may be over-looking her because of Kielpinkski, but I don't see anything spectacular about her.  Since there is a limit of the number of players from the West, I left her off. She will probably make, though, because I am guessing Steffan will not participate. 

i did not know there wuz a player limit is it only 7?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demonfan74 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:46 pm

They generally try to keep an even amount of East players as there are West.  I thought there were only 12 on each team, plus one alternate from each conference.  Do not quote me on those numbers though. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sioux75 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:11 am

I would make the case for both Mic Kraft and Cassandra Kelsch, from Mandan should be voted to the Lions All-Star team. 

First because Mandan wins with defense and defensive pressure that takes other teams out of their games and forces turnovers.  Both Kraft and Kelsch are integral parts of that defense, the best in the state. 

Second, Kraft, Kelsch and Kielpinski were all tournament selections at the Gillette Energy Classic won by Mandan.

Third, look at the stats:

Kraft:  2nd in FT %, 4th in Steals,  and 8th in 3Pt shots, to go along with 5.76 ppg, and 51 assists, and against Bismarck in the championship game she made 5 3-pointers, which were not included in the above totals. 

Kelsch:  In the top 10 in rebounds, FG %, Steals, and blocked shots, to go along with 7.95 ppg, and 1.7 assists per game.  She has done all this while battling injuries that would have kept alot of people out of the game.
sioux75

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:51 am

demonfan74 wrote:They generally try to keep an even amount of East players as there are West.  I thought there were only 12 on each team, plus one alternate from each conference.  Do not quote me on those numbers though. 

True!  The State Champion coach picks the team... 6 from East, 6 from West and two alternates
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GBBC » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:09 am

bruins44 wrote:
demonfan74 wrote:They generally try to keep an even amount of East players as there are West.  I thought there were only 12 on each team, plus one alternate from each conference.  Do not quote me on those numbers though. 

True!  The State Champion coach picks the team... 6 from East, 6 from West and two alternates

Demonfan74 is right.  6 players from the West (plus one alternate) and 6 players from the East (with one alternate as well). 

But, BRUINS44 is wrong.  The West Region coaches pick the west players and the EDC coaches pick the east players.
GBBC

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:24 am

GBBC wrote:
bruins44 wrote:

Demonfan74 is right.  6 players from the West (plus one alternate) and 6 players from the East (with one alternate as well). 

But, BRUINS44 is wrong.  The West Region coaches pick the west players and the EDC coaches pick the east players.

I know for a fact that the EDC coaches did not pick 6 plus an alternate... they put together a list of potential senior players and will send that list to the Lions commitee so the State Champion coach and his assistant can choose the players they need for the team. 

What if both the EDC and WDA coaches all picked post players or all picked guards??
Last edited by bruins44 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GBBC » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:28 am

bruins44 wrote:
GBBC wrote:
bruins44 wrote:

I know for a fact that the EDC coaches did not pick 6 plus an alternate... they put together a list of potential senior players and will send that list to the Lions commitee so the State Champion coach and his assistant can choose the players they need for the team. 

What if both the EDC and WDA coaches all picked post players or all picked guards??

Interesting.  I know for a fact that the WDA coaches pick their players.
GBBC

Postby demonfan74 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:01 am

Kraft? Are you kidding? Less than 6ppg and 2.5 apg is not that impressive.  I would pick a Jossart or one of the two minot girls before kraft. 

Anyone from the East have their predictions?
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:29 am

demonfan74 wrote:Kraft? Are you kidding? Less than 6ppg and 2.5 apg is not that impressive.  I would pick a Jossart or one of the two minot girls before kraft. 

Hanson - Devils Lake, Arechigo - North, Michael Vance - West Fargo, Schuler - Shanley, those 4 for sure..... maybe Thorson from South, Black from DL... The EDC senior class is not very deep... much better underclass players.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Uptown » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:58 am

demonfan74 wrote:Kraft? Are you kidding? Less than 6ppg and 2.5 apg is not that impressive.  I would pick a Jossart or one of the two minot girls before kraft. 

Well I dont know Mandan.. but i did attend the WDA Championship game.. and Kraft was way more impressive than any BHS player... or CHS player... don't rule that one out. Jossart is good... but defensively... kraft impressed me more on Saturday. Games are won on defense...
Uptown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cdub1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:59 pm

kraft isnt really a stat player but i would say the mandan defense starts with her she handles the point guard spot alot on one of the best teams in the state and HEATHER NUSS made it so i think amundson has a lot of pull with it

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Uptown » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:59 pm

cdub1 wrote:

kraft isnt really a stat player but i would say the mandan defense starts with her she handles the point guard spot alot on one of the best teams in the state and HEATHER NUSS made it so i think amundson has a lot of pull with it

agree with cdub1... but then, if all stars are what is picked and stats speak then kraft probably wont make the team... but what I saw on saturday ... i would pick kraft to lead my team.... she did things that alot of coaches would love to see... defense,rebound, passes... not to mention all the three pointers. but i dont  know all the stars in the west... she just caught my attention. I am sure there are lots of great ball players for the west to pick from.
Uptown
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cdub1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:04 pm

i wish they had an all defensive team like the nba and a defensive player of the year because people usually base who is good by what they do on offense

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby football#1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:10 pm

pirvatsky fromm DL will definatly shes the best plyer in the east
football#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:13 pm

football#1 wrote:pirvatsky fromm DL will definatly shes the best plyer in the east

next year shes only a junior u gotta remember or r u saying all team defense cuz then ya she would be 6 or 7 steals a game cant argue with that

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:13 pm

football#1 wrote:pirvatsky fromm DL will definatly shes the best plyer in the east

Privatsky is only a Jr. this year.  Next AP=Best in the state.  Then the lions game.

If you were referring to an all D team then I definitly agree she has very good hands and is very quick.
Last edited by WildWarrior on Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby squeak63 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:49 pm

lol i say we just have mandans team play in the lions all star game and they would still take it to the class B all-stars... also i didn't read back to far but anyone thin liz wamsley of bismarck high should get a look? i dont know maybe this has allready been gone over
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby cdub1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:58 pm

sqeak63 wrote:lol i say we just have mandans team play in the lions all star game and they would still take it to the class B all-stars... also i didn't read back to far but anyone thin liz wamsley of bismarck high should get a look? i dont know maybe this has allready been gone over

i agree one of the only seniors on the second best team in the wda

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demonfan74 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:30 pm

Sorry, even I'm going to have to say no to that one.  The seniors don't lead that team; it's the underclassman. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sioux75 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:36 pm

After the state tournament I will stick with my choice of Kraft and Kelsch for the Lions All Star team along with Kielpinski from Mandan.  Both Kraft and Kelsch scored 14 points in the first half against Red River and then hardly played the second half.

Kraft had 8 points against Century and went out with a Kelsch had 12 against Century and then had 16 against Devils Lake in the Championship game and was named player of the championship game.

Mandan was up 18-3 when Kelsch went out with 2 fouls early in the first half and didn't play until right before half.  During that time Devils Lake got back in the game.

Kelsch was named to the all tournament team and Kraft should have been selected as well.
sioux75

Postby demonfan74 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:46 am

sioux75 wrote:After the state tournament I will stick with my choice of Kraft and Kelsch for the Lions All Star team along with Kielpinski from Mandan.  Both Kraft and Kelsch scored 14 points in the first half against Red River and then hardly played the second half.

Kraft had 8 points against Century and went out with a Kelsch had 12 against Century and then had 16 against Devils Lake in the Championship game and was named player of the championship game.

Mandan was up 18-3 when Kelsch went out with 2 fouls early in the first half and didn't play until right before half.  During that time Devils Lake got back in the game.

Kelsch was named to the all tournament team and Kraft should have been selected as well.

You can't be serious! It's not about a two game performance; it's about the season.  Sorry but I could list off several individuals better than them.  The only thing they have going on their resume is they played for mandan.  If I'm correct, that would be a bias decision upon the people who select the players.  

And don't talk about fouls.  Mandan wouldn't have won if lafrance and jossart weren't in foul trouble.  Up 8 with them in, two minutes later she's out and they lost the lead.  Kelsch is over-rated and kraft is good, but there are much, much better players out there.  I don't believe she is even playing in college.  I would put jossart, adams, or sundheim on my team  before her.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:35 am

You can't put Sunheim and Adams both on the team.  Stats don't always tell the story because they played on a sub .500 team that did not make state and played 30+ minutes a game throughout the season.  

From Century,  I'd take 2 of them but not 3 and which 2 I think would depend on whether they need a guard or post.  If they wouldn't go 6 and 6 I think you could take all 3.

I think you take at least 2 of the 3 from Mandan.  In Mandan you won't put up really high personal numbers because of the balance.
Last edited by Deuce on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:07 am

West:

Kielpinski, Lafrance, Kraft, Jossart, Kelsh, Adams Alternate = Fettig

I left off Steffan as she will likely play volleyball

East:

Hanson, Archigo, Shuler, Thorson, Michael-Vance, Black Alternate =Cochran
Not sure if Shuler would play basketball or Volleyball

Those are my picks...and actually all the coaches choose the team at the coaches meeting during the state tournament.
Last edited by Baller on Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:33 am

Baller wrote:West:

Kielpinski, Lafrance, Kraft, Jossart, Kelsh, Adams Alternate = Fettig

I left off Steffan as she will likely play volleyball

East:

Hanson, Archigo, Shuler, Thorson, Michael-Vance, Black Alternate = Riske

Not sure if Shuler would play basketball or Volleyball

Those are my picks...and actually all the coaches choose the team at the coaches meeting during the state tournament.

I'm not so sure if Steffan will pick volleyball.  She'll be playing volleyball the next 4 years and this would be the opportunity to have 1 last curtain call on the BB court in front of the whole state.  Especially since they didn't make state the last 2 years.

But this is probably the best Lions team in a while.  I didn't see any post play in the class b state tournament or in the Region 5 games I watched that will be able to match up with this group in the paint.

Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Girls