WDA Awards

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby NDHOOPWATCHER » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:42 am

Does anyone know who received WDA awards last night?  Who was up for senior athlete of the year?  I heard Kelpinski got the award, who was in the running with her?  How about Coach of the year and all tournament team?
NDHOOPWATCHER
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:04 pm

NDHOOPWATCHER wrote:Does anyone know who received WDA awards last night?  Who was up for senior athlete of the year?  I heard Kelpinski got the award, who was in the running with her?  How about Coach of the year and all tournament team?

steffan lafrance adams, steve meier which is HUGE BS, collins kielpinski (no finlee also bs) fettig lafrance dale steffan knife messer alex feeney gilbertson adams

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby demonfan74 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:23 pm

cdub1 wrote:
NDHOOPWATCHER wrote:Does anyone know who received WDA awards last night?  Who was up for senior athlete of the year?  I heard Kelpinski got the award, who was in the running with her?  How about Coach of the year and all tournament team?

steffan lafrance adams, steve meier which is HUGE BS, collins kielpinski (no finlee also bs) fettig lafrance dale steffan knife messer alex feeney gilbertson adams

I agree with everything you said.  Meier didn't deserve it and finlee should have made the all-tourney team.  Lafrance didn't make the all-tourney team though, which I thought was also BS.  Just because she doesn't lead the team in scoring every night, she does everything else for them.  I thought a notable statistic was she is 2nd in the west in blocked shots (behind kielpinski but AHEAD of 6'4 steffan! That's incredible - there is a 7 inch difference).  You may have been confused because she was up for senior athlete, but she did not make the all-tourney team. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sioux75 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:28 pm

WDA Awards:

All Tourney Team:

Messer - St. Marys, Dale - Jamestown, Adams-Minot, Steffan-Dickinson, Fettig-Century, Gilbertson and A. Feeney-Bismarck, and unamimous selections Kilepinski and Collins-Mandan,

The only one I would question is Messer.  Her numbers weren't too bad in two losing games, but against Mandan she only shot twice in the first half and the game was already over at 37-7.

Senior athletes of the year: Steffan, LaFrance, Adams, and Kielpinski, with Kielpinski winning it.

Coach of the year went to Steve Meier, which I don't think was a bad choice.  He has led his team to a second place WDA finish and second in WDA touney and second ranking in state, beating Century twice.   Bismarck graduated more starters last year and have a younger team than either Century or Mandan. 

Of course Amundson would have also been a good choice.  His team is 21-1 won the WDA, and WDA Tourney, is ranked No. 1 in the state and has beat Bismarck, (#2 Team), three times this year so far by and average of 28.3 PPG.  
sioux75

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:06 pm

demonfan74 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

I agree with everything you said.  Meier didn't deserve it and finlee should have made the all-tourney team.  Lafrance didn't make the all-tourney team though, which I thought was also BS.  Just because she doesn't lead the team in scoring every night, she does everything else for them.  I thought a notable statistic was she is 2nd in the west in blocked shots (behind kielpinski but AHEAD of 6'4 steffan! That's incredible - there is a 7 inch difference).  You may have been confused because she was up for senior athlete, but she did not make the all-tourney team. 

i assumed lafrance made it i have no idea how she didnt

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ditka14 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:17 pm

sioux75 wrote:WDA Awards:

All Tourney Team:

Messer - St. Marys, Dale - Jamestown, Adams-Minot, Steffan-Dickinson, Fettig-Century, Gilbertson and A. Feeney-Bismarck, and unamimous selections Kilepinski and Collins-Mandan,

The only one I would question is Messer.  Her numbers weren't too bad in two losing games, but against Mandan she only shot twice in the first half and the game was already over at 37-7.

Senior athletes of the year: Steffan, LaFrance, Adams, and Kielpinski, with Kielpinski winning it.

Coach of the year went to Steve Meier, which I don't think was a bad choice.  He has led his team to a second place WDA finish and second in WDA touney and second ranking in state, beating Century twice.   Bismarck graduated more starters last year and have a younger team than either Century or Mandan. 

Of course Amundson would have also been a good choice.  His team is 21-1 won the WDA, and WDA Tourney, is ranked No. 1 in the state and has beat Bismarck, (#2 Team), three times this year so far by and average of 28.3 PPG.  

amundson doesn't make it because no coaches like him with his recruiting situation.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby sioux75 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:27 am

I agree that Amundson is not liked very well by the other coaches partly because of the perceived recruiting, but I believe more so because of his success, and the manner of how teams are beat by Mandan.  In these days of open enrollment parents and their children make decisions on where to send their students, both for education quality as well as for the quality of the sports programs.  This happens in programs as well, and is within the rules of the NDHSAA. 
sioux75

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:34 am

Its hard to get coach of the year when you are expected to win.  It usually goes to the coach of a team that does better than expected. 
Last edited by Deuce on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mr. Me Too » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:18 am

sioux75 wrote:WDA Awards:

All Tourney Team:

Shaunna Knife of Belcourt was also on this team. . .
-->aMA[z]iNg<--
Mr. Me Too
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby squeak63 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:52 pm

honestly i think with mandans team keilpinski could have been coach and they still would have won wda
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby demonfan74 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:35 pm

I think you're being sarcastic, but I wouldn't push that.  Amundson is a good coach and deserves credit for the wins during the game.  He's the one that fires them up and gets them going.  I doubt kielpinski could out-strategize meier or jeske if they were playing bhs or chs.  Any other team: I'd give you that. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby demonfan74 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:36 pm

Simply because of a lack of talent on other teams.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:39 pm

amundson has great help offensive guru marv pederson and i use the word guru i sat behind their bench one game and saw a little play card that had over 50 different plays on it and pederson calls a play almost every time down the court it amazes me that some teams haven't figured out the play that gets finlee open alot it would be tough to be ali collins or mic kraft and have to remember that many plays

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls