Devils Lake vs Valley City

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:03 am

First of all it was not 43 - 2 to start the game, it was a 10 - 15 point game until DL went on a run to end the first half...it was even stated that VC went "toe to toe" with them in the first half by the VC paper.  Secondly, there was no pressing in the second half, Dl went into a 1-3-1 zone so that they wouldn't steal the ball every time down the court.  As for AP, she had 25 at half time so its not like she played the entire second half to get the record.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GBBC » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:30 am

That was just an example of what HAS happened this year.  I didn't say that it happened at the DL-VC game.  Perhaps they didn't run up the score, but some teams do.  And that is an ISSUE.
Last edited by GBBC on Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
GBBC

Postby WildWarrior » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 am

bert1072 wrote:as far as the record goes hey great she got one, but lets see, Durene Heisler, 4-8minute quaters, Ashley Privatsky 2-18 minute halves,hmmmm.

From what has been stated on the bench most of the last 10 minutes.  I am not going to argue this point since i do not really agree with going back in just for the record either.  I feel AP will have many chances to score 40 plus next year with all of their graduation losses this year.  But I suppose she will need to get around 45 to really break Durene's record since she has that extra 4 minutes.  :teeter:
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bert1072 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:07 pm

it really doesn't have anything to do with records , it has to do with keeping the majority of your starters in until about 4 mins left even though the subs can use all the work they can get because at some time they will be needed. It also does not make any sense to humiliate a team when you know they have no chance. whether

privatsky gets 30-40-50 she has the record nowand she will score alot more points. which is great because she is a good player, too bad she got it under those circumstances
bert1072
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:57 pm

bert1072 wrote:it really doesn't have anything to do with records , it has to do with keeping the majority of your starters in until about 4 mins left even though the subs can use all the work they can get because at some time they will be needed. It also does not make any sense to humiliate a team when you know they have no chance. whether

privatsky gets 30-40-50 she has the record nowand she will score alot more points. which is great because she is a good player, too bad she got it under those circumstances

Starters were out with 12min left
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bert1072 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:54 am

interesting, the starters were stiil in  at 12 minutes a couple were pulled AP was still on the floor. at about 8 minutes the ones that were taken out were put back in. at about 4 minutes all the startres were taken out. did the starters need to be in after the 1st 2 mins of the second half? anyones best guess is no
bert1072
NDPreps Reserve

Postby point/center » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:44 am

bert1072 wrote:interesting, the starters were stiil in  at 12 minutes a couple were pulled AP was still on the floor. at about 8 minutes the ones that were taken out were put back in. at about 4 minutes all the startres were taken out. did the starters need to be in after the 1st 2 mins of the second half? anyones best guess is not

this close to tourney time I say yes. They didnt have a game until tonight against Whap. which might be a lopsided score to. So they could end up not playing much of 2 games in a row, this close to EDC....gotta keep them on the court and in 'game' shape.

once again there is no clear cut standard and DL seems to be justified in how they carried the game out.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbb20 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:41 pm

No The DL starers were in the game with like 6 minutes to go, Emily black was left in till the end of the game.  AP came in with 3:24 minutes left, TRUST ME!!! I WAS  AT THE GAME AND VERY CLOSE TO THE BENCH!!!  I couldn't believe it. This Makes the Devils Lake Coaching looks extremely bad! VC starters were taken out at 7:25 and There were still 3 DL startes left in. Some of the VC starters even were sitting before 7:25, I know that Noeske and Berge were both taken out at like 10-11 minutes left. It was complete BS!!
Last edited by ndbb20 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndbb20
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:05 pm

For me not being there, take my opinion as you may but.....  I've always been told as a coach, if you are beating a team, you have the opportunity to keep your kids in until the losing team takes their starters out.  Now maybe VC took their girls out, I DON'T KNOW, I WASN"T THERE.  But I do remember a coach saying that it's not my job to keep the score "respectable".  If a team is pressing and such with their varsity against the losing JV team, that's one thing.  But if DL was playing solid Man defense and VC kept turning the ball over giving up layups, then that scoring spread is ok in my eyes
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball222 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:00 am

ndbb20 wrote:No The DL starers were in the game with like 6 minutes to go, Emily black was left in till the end of the game.  AP came in with 3:24 minutes left, TRUST ME!!! I WAS  AT THE GAME AND VERY CLOSE TO THE BENCH!!!  I couldn't believe it. This Makes the Devils Lake Coaching looks extremely bad! VC starters were taken out at 7:25 and There were still 3 DL startes left in. Some of the VC starters even were sitting before 7:25, I know that Noeske and Berge were both taken out at like 10-11 minutes left. It was complete BS!!
I agree that is bs.
baseball222

Postby bert1072 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:35 pm

baseball222 wrote:
ndbb20 wrote:No The DL starers were in the game with like 6 minutes to go, Emily black was left in till the end of the game.  AP came in with 3:24 minutes left, TRUST ME!!! I WAS  AT THE GAME AND VERY CLOSE TO THE BENCH!!!  I couldn't believe it. This Makes the Devils Lake Coaching looks extremely bad! VC starters were taken out at 7:25 and There were still 3 DL startes left in. Some of the VC starters even were sitting before 7:25, I know that Noeske and Berge were both taken out at like 10-11 minutes left. It was complete BS!!
I agree that is bs.

Actually all of dl's starters were out at the 4.5 mark and the jv did finish off the 102 pts, but it did not need to happen like that. Valley is not very good but DL starters did not need to be left in. The JV might have hit it anyway but stiill leaves a bad taste
bert1072
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Stromer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:43 pm

So I heard that there was a letter to the editor of the DL Journal yesterday from a VC parent or fan, regarding this incident.  Would any DL fans be kind enough to enlighten us on what was said, since they don't put opinion pieces up on the Journal's website.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Diamond D » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:16 am

I live here in DL and read the letter.  Gotta say it was very well written and IMHO needed.  I wasn't at the game, but have heard various stories along with the ones on this site.

Personally I think it was her revenge for her girls getting beat by West Fargo the Saturday before. Maybe that is why they had to run/practice on Sunday after the defeat.  That is just my humble opinion though. 

I have watched the girls play and in my opinion she is working them too hard.  Girls are looking unhealthy and "rumors" are being reported that some of the girls can't keep weight on anymore.
Last edited by Diamond D on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:26 am

for the sake of the game. i hope DL girls are primed for EDC and hopefully state. They've got alot of talent and I sure hope they don't lose out in EDC like the DL boys did last year.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bert1072 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:10 am

Stromer wrote:So I heard that there was a letter to the editor of the DL Journal yesterday from a VC parent or fan, regarding this incident.  Would any DL fans be kind enough to enlighten us on what was said, since they don't put opinion pieces up on the Journal's website.

Whomever wrote the letter has some good points but needs to take a good look  at what he said. as far as the dl girls, they have to do what the coach says and if she says play they play, not much you can do about it. as far as the players and fans cheering when the pts were scored that is the way it should have been. the dl jv played the last5 mins and actually they are the ones that got it over 100. the blame needs to be put not on the girls but the coaches who were responsible for it. don't blame the players for doing what the are told to do
bert1072
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Diamond D » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:21 am

I agree Bert.  We are talking about 14-17 yr old girls who are not only hyped up about a game, and had probably taken a butt chewing after the WF game. 

Last edited by Diamond D on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:29 am

I honestly think this one game against VC might be a big turning point for DL. If they don't put it together for the EDC, my gut feeling is many will point to this controversy and 7 day's of pressure from coach will tell alot about the DL program's success. If they run through EDC with 1/2/3 seed for state, might not be a big deal. But not making it to state.....ouch.....

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND_SportsNut » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:35 am

There was a lot of blame on the players and fans in that article, if anyones fault its the coaches, leave the fans and players out of it. So did this person write a letter to the forum when south beat them by 50 or to the Sun because Jamestown was being mean and held them to 22 points and won by 50. If your not good your not good, nothing has changed all year, and its nobodys fault because every school has years like that. So just wait until VC is really good and DL is really bad and do the same.
Last edited by ND_SportsNut on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ND_SportsNut

Postby WildWarrior » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:10 am

ND_SportsNut wrote:There was a lot of blame on the players and fans in that article, if anyones fault its the coaches, leave the fans and players out of it. So did this person write a letter to the forum when south beat them by 50 or to the Sun because Jamestown was being mean and held them to 22 points and won by 50. If your not good your not good, nothing has changed all year, and its nobodys fault because every school has years like that. So just wait until VC is really good and DL is really bad and do the same.

I recall a boys game in the late 80's, DL vs. VC.  The tables were most definitely turned, in fact the wonderful fans in VC pulled up newspapers and pretended to read them whenever DL touched the ball.  :paper:  Apparently that is how exciting the DL boys were.  Now how classy is that????
Last edited by WildWarrior on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Diamond D » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:38 am

Wildwarrior:   So two wrongs make a right???

More is coming of this here in town.....

At first I didn't have an opinion on this, but now I am just disgusted.  I just learned that one of the senior player's Father from DL left the game because he was so embarrassed by the score and the fact that the seniors were still playing.

You can come on here and defend DL all you want, but right there when you have a team parent who leaves the game because of the embarrassment he has, that right there is enough proof to me to say DL was completely in the wrong.

What bothers me the most is, this is getting hyped up.  Not only here in town, but on the website, in the papers, etc...   This is now being talked about in alot of places.

What will be the reprocussions now?  We wanted our girls to be focussed on EDC.  Now will they all have their heads clear by next week for EDC or will this issue still be on their minds as well?

Diamond D

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:45 am

Diamond D wrote: 

At first I didn't have an opinion on this, but now I am just disgusted.  I just learned that one of the senior player's Father from DL left the game because he was so embarrassed by the score and the fact that the seniors were still playing.

You can come on here and defend DL all you want, but right there when you have a team parent who leaves the game because of the embarrassment he has, that right there is enough proof to me to say DL was completely in the wrong.

What bothers me the most is, this is getting hyped up.  Not only here in town, but on the website, in the papers, etc...   This is now being talked about in alot of places.

What will be the reprocussions now?  We wanted our girls to be focussed on EDC.  Now will they all have their heads clear by next week for EDC or will this issue still be on their minds as well?

I couldnt agree with you more. That letter to the DL Jouranl stirred the pot again, and whatever focus had been regained was lost. Maybe VC will have the last laugh if DL doesnt make it out of EDC?

I can't imagine a coach wanting to deal with the issue of a game from 2 weeks ago with EDC right in front of her.

stay tuned....

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby WildWarrior » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:46 am

Diamond D wrote: 

Whoa whoa!!!  At no point did I say anything about 2 wrongs making a right.  I too am somewhat disappointed in many things that I have read, heard, etc.  I was just pointing out that VC has had their times too.  I was extremely disgusted in our team pressing GFRR in DL in the 2nd half up 30 or more as well.  I think DL has a great big target on their back and it is really too bad for this group of young ladies. 
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Diamond D » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:02 am

Sorry Wildwarrior, my bad.  I wasn't sure the emotion of the post. 
Diamond D

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:06 am

I honestly do not get why this game is so much different than all the other games that VC has played.  The margin of victory was not any different, its just that DL broke 100 points.  Mandan does it all the time and no one rains on their parade.

Why should the JV get to play the entire second half??  They already got to play a game.  I think that it not cool to always take away playing time from kids that earn it. 

DL did not press the second half!!  I was at the game. 
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:46 am

I agree with Baller, people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  In girls basketball blowouts happen. 

I think they should sub early and I don't necessarily agree they should pull all the starters at once.  It keeps some structure in the game and gives the bench players a chance to work in the system and not get out of control because when you have 5 jv players all out there trying to prove they should be varsity playing against a poor team it turns real sloppy and ugly. 

But I wasn't there and my only knowledge of this incident is from what people posted here.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls