Devils Lake vs Valley City

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bruins44 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 am

Did anyone see the Devils Lake at Valley City game??  the final score was 102 - 38,  I heard that Privatsky had over 40 pts....  just wondering if she played most of the game??  if so SHAME ON DL!!   You don't do that against teams like VC....

bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:40 am

bruins44 wrote:Did anyone see the Devils Lake at Valley City game??  the final score was 102 - 38,  I heard that Privatsky had over 40 pts....  just wondering if she played most of the game??  if so SHAME ON DL!!   You don't do that against teams like VC....

According to GF Herald, Ashley had 39.  There were 13 listed as scoring in the box score but i can't attest to the minutes played.  Looks as though everyone played.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:00 am

DEVILS LAKE 102
VALLEY CITY 38
Devils Lake[/b] Terra Mertens 1, Jessie Davis 5, Ashley Privratsky 39, Emilie Soper 7, Emily Black 16, Meghan McCarthy 2, Sarah Kuntz 8, Alicia Greening 1, Marti Elshaug 1, Kayla Babinski 2, Callie Hanson 16, Andrea Gathman 2, Kensi Eisenzimmer 2 - Valley[/b] City [/b]Megan Tykwinski 4, Maria Prosby 4, Nikki Berge 7, Ashley Gierke 2, Allison Mooridian 14, Katelyn Kjelland 4, Jill Noeske 2

only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan1 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:05 am

Why would DL go and do that to a team like VC.  Everyone knows they are good enough to beat them why shove it in their faces like that????  Ashley is a good enough player that she doesn't need to stay in and rack up her stats to prove herself.  That was not very cool of the DL coach.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:11 am

I'm not taking sides on this issue. BUT dont' say DL slapped VC in the face. Valley City is not a very good team.

If you were at the game and have proof that DL ran it up. Full court press in the 2nd half etc... that's another story. Just because DL hung a hundred on the Hi-Liners doesnt mean much to me.
Last edited by point/center on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:12 am

bballfan1 wrote:Why would DL go and do that to a team like VC.  Everyone knows they are good enough to beat them why shove it in their faces like that????  Ashley is a good enough player that she doesn't need to stay in and rack up her stats to prove herself.  That was not very cool of the DL coach.

What proof do you have that says that is the case?  When 13 hit the scorebook that tells me that a lot of kids played in the game.  At this point in the season I would not have my players sitting out an entire half.  You have to play your game and the players need to keep their legs as well.  If it is a case where the score was ran up and the starters were in most of the 2nd half then I will be the 1st to agree with you, but I want to hear from someone that was there that that was the case.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:18 am

point/center wrote:DEVILS LAKE 102
VALLEY CITY 38
Devils Lake[/b] Terra Mertens 1, Jessie Davis 5, Ashley Privratsky 39, Emilie Soper 7, Emily Black 16, Meghan McCarthy 2, Sarah Kuntz 8, Alicia Greening 1, Marti Elshaug 1, Kayla Babinski 2, Callie Hanson 16, Andrea Gathman 2, Kensi Eisenzimmer 2 - Valley[/b] City [/b]Megan Tykwinski 4, Maria Prosby 4, Nikki Berge 7, Ashley Gierke 2, Allison Mooridian 14, Katelyn Kjelland 4, Jill Noeske 2

I dont know who starts besides, Soper, Black, and Hanson but the bench players didn not score very many pts.... 15 at the most!!  It would be a crying shame if Privatsky played the last few minutes just to get a scoring record and sprained an ankle or worse. 
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 666 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:21 am

I was at the game and it was bush league...DL pressed in the 2nd half and ashley didnt come out until like 10 min to go in the game and then she went back in to score 2 more pts...The actual JV didnt go in untill like 4 min left in the game...it was a terrible thing to see i just have to say terrible coaching.
Last edited by 666 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:22 am

if some one can find the full box score please post it up.

How many TO's did VC have? I'd guess ALOT
How many shots did DL miss? probably not alot VC D is a little bit porous

just a hunch but in watching VC play, they probably turned it over 40+ times.

What do you want DL to do when VC turns it over? punt?

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:27 am

666 wrote:I was at the game and it was bush league...DL pressed in the 2nd half and ashley didnt come out until like 10 min to go in the game and then she went back in to score 2 more pts...The actual JV didnt go in untill like 4 min left in the game...it was a terrible thing to see i just have to say terrible coaching.

i think coming out with 10 minutes left is fine she should still be allowed to play even in the blowout it wouldnt be fair if she got 3 or 4 minutes that half

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:27 am

666 wrote:I was at the game and it was bush league...DL pressed in the 2nd half and ashley didnt come out until like 10 min to go in the game and then she went back in to score 2 more pts...The actual JV didnt go in untill like 4 min left in the game...it was a terrible thing to see i just have to say terrible coaching.

wow...if that's the case. I agree. No need to rub salt in it. I suppose you need to keep the girls in game shape...but....man....pressing. Not a cool move at all.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:39 am

First of all, DL did not press the 2nd half.  VC scored the 38 points that it averages.  There is a shot clock in class A so its not like Dl is going to pull it out and run its offense for 3 minutes.  It is not DL's fault that VC does not play defense.  Everyone that dresses for DL scored and there were only three girls in double figures.  Give me a break, the JV girls kicked VC and they are ticked about it.  Sorry if you are not very good, but point fingers at the opposing team.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:01 pm

As i stated earlier, there is a HUGE difference between the 1st game of the year and the 17th.  Tournament time is coming and you have got to have your team ready to play 3 games in 3 days, hopefully on two consecutive weekends.  As a coach I was on the receiving end of games like that and you have got to deal with it.  When it happened in the first game of the year and I had 3 freshman starting I was a little bit more upset.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:01 pm

Baller wrote:First of all, DL did not press the 2nd half.  VC scored the 38 points that it averages.  There is a shot clock in class A so its not like Dl is going to pull it out and run its offense for 3 minutes.  It is not DL's fault that VC does not play defense.  Everyone that dresses for DL scored and there were only three girls in double figures.  Give me a break, the JV girls kicked VC and they are ticked about it.  Sorry if you are not very good, but point fingers at the opposing team.

Baller,  Were you at the game??
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:06 pm

WildWarrior wrote: Tournament time is coming and you have got to have your team ready to play 3 games in 3 days, hopefully on two consecutive weekends. 
What does this have to do with running up the score?  You get more out of practice than playing in a game like this.... if a team is not in shape by now they wont be in 3 weeks when tournament time rolls around... so making sure the starters get their playing time doesnt cut it here!    tell me what good came out of this game other than DL getting some school records?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:13 pm

bruins44 wrote:
WildWarrior wrote: Tournament time is coming and you have got to have your team ready to play 3 games in 3 days, hopefully on two consecutive weekends. 
What does this have to do with running up the score?  You get more out of practice than playing in a game like this.... if a team is not in shape by now they wont be in 3 weeks when tournament time rolls around... so making sure the starters get their playing time doesnt cut it here!    tell me what good came out of this game other than DL getting some school records?

How can you say that you get more out practice then in an actual game?  I understand that a team is in shape by now but they also need to maintain.  I see Fargo South beat VC 86-35, I wouldn't say that is much better.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DeuceTrey » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm

DL did not run up the score. They took 4 of their starters out with 10 minutes left, and the only reason Privratsky went back in was because she was 2 points shy of breaking the school record for points in a game, because her coaches didnt realize it at the time she came out. She went in, quickly got a steal and her points, then went back to the bench. DL did not intentionaly run up the score, that is not their style. They just played a very good game, and apparently VC did not. VC had something like 13 or 17 points at half. DL also set a school record for points in a game, with 102, but i think that was something that came with the win, not something that they were set on doing.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:49 pm

I'd still give my pinky finger to see the box score and how many TOs VC had and what their FG% was compared to DL. ..

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:46 pm

Bismarck high beat North by 46,  Century over north by 47,  Jamestown over VC by 49,  Shanley over VC by 46,  MAndan over williston by 64,  DL over VC by 54,  Mandan over St. Mary;s by 61,  MAndan over Williston by 54,  South over VC by 51,  MAndan over Turtle mountain by 60,  Bismarck over Williston by 54

Why is this such an issue?? Because AP went in with 4 minutes left to score one basket to break a 23 year old record set by DL heroine Durene Heisler??  Ashley Burtness, a starter did not even score. 

What is too bad is the way that the VC coach treats his players...he yells and berates them the entire game.  Get them involved in the summer and maybe these blowouts don't happen as often.
Last edited by Baller on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan1 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:54 pm

all i gotta is i hope...for Wahpeton's sake...DL isn't in the "mood" to set any new records on Friday.  Maybe they'll go for 103.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:26 am

Baller wrote:Bismarck high beat North by 46,  Century over north by 47,  Jamestown over VC by 49,  Shanley over VC by 46,  MAndan over williston by 64,  DL over VC by 54,  Mandan over St. Mary;s by 61,  MAndan over Williston by 54,  South over VC by 51,  MAndan over Turtle mountain by 60,  Bismarck over Williston by 54

Why is this such an issue?? Because AP went in with 4 minutes left to score one basket to break a 23 year old record set by DL heroine Durene Heisler??  Ashley Burtness, a starter did not even score. 

What is too bad is the way that the VC coach treats his players...he yells and berates them the entire game.  Get them involved in the summer and maybe these blowouts don't happen as often.
all very good points. i just dont see it justifed to bash on DL for VC not putting a decent team on the floor.

if your the coach and your player has a chance for a game record do you hold her out? are game records only supposed to be broke in a tight game? not APs fault that VC is not playing good basketball
Last edited by point/center on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bert1072 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:06 am

all interesting statements but when you are ahead by 50 at half and you come out with your starters and press and then zone press all your trying to do is rub it in! dl is a senior team games like that are the times to get your other players going, sorry to say stuberg and scott privatsky have no desire to do that. as far as APs record great yipee, so what, doesn't matter. oh and by the way I was at the game:(
bert1072
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WildWarrior » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:13 am

bert1072 wrote:all interesting statements but when you are ahead by 50 at half and you come out with your starters and press and then zone press all your trying to do is rub it in! dl is a senior team games like that are the times to get your other players going, sorry to say stuberg and scott privatsky have no desire to do that. as far as APs record great yipee, so what, doesn't matter. oh and by the way I was at the game:(

So sorry to hear that but let me check something: 51 - 17 = 50??  Oh thats right its 34.  Coming off of a loss with only 3 games remaining I think getting the other players going isn't priority number one.  It's almost tournament time.  I also think breaking a record previously held by Durene Heisler should be something to talk about.  Congratulations to AP on a great accomplishment.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bert1072 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:24 am

so sorry my math is off, lets see you already beat them once by 50 or 60, you already know the outcome and you came off a loss in a game where the team is dead tiredand you are going into tourn time where you are going to need you subs. your right not the best time to get them some playing time. as far as the record goes hey great she got one, but lets see, Durene Heisler, 4-8minute quaters, Ashley Privatsky

2-18 minute halves,hmmmm
bert1072
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GBBC » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:54 am

Baller wrote:Bismarck high beat North by 46,  Century over north by 47,  Jamestown over VC by 49,  Shanley over VC by 46,  MAndan over williston by 64,  DL over VC by 54,  Mandan over St. Mary;s by 61,  MAndan over Williston by 54,  South over VC by 51,  MAndan over Turtle mountain by 60,  Bismarck over Williston by 54

As far as I'm concerned, this is an issue, not just with the DL-VC game, but with all of the teams you mentioned.  It is clear that there are good teams and not so good teams in the state.  It is also clear that the good teams have worked very hard to become good teams.  I don't think anyone is trying to take that away from them. 

However, when a coach chooses to continue pressing even after being up, for example, 43-2 to start the game, there is definitely an ISSUE.  To me, that is not about getting the kids ready for tournament time.  Be realistic-those types of games are not something that they need to "get prepared for."  Games like that are NOT about the kids -- they are about the egos of the coaches.  ESPECIALLY when they continue to press, or pull of their press only to go into a half-court trap/press.  And especially when it happens more than once a season.  When a game comes around where the team is just clicking and things are going well, and they get a big win, it is understandable, especially when everyone on the team gets in the scoring column.  But repeatedly humiliating these teams, leaving in starters even after the losing team has put in their bench, come on...  Beating a "good" team by 1 is something they should be more proud of than beating a "not so good" team by 60. 

Again, I don't think anyone is trying to take away from the players.  They have worked hard to become good players and have made their teams better and they were doing what they were told.  If coach says press, players press.  If coach says, let's go for a record, players go for a record.  But, running up the score is not sending a positive message to ANYONE.
GBBC

Next

Return to Girls