Devils Lake vs. Shanley

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby DeuceTrey » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:13 pm

lets give it its own topic instead of trying to throw it into other topics. whos got the advantage, DL or Shanley, and where?
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Shanley starters are 5ft 10in Schuler, 5ft 6in Bower twin guards, Paulson and Carew 6ft 1in posts.  7 players deep with 5ft 4in Jackson and 6ft 1in Pollard off the bench.

Privatsky @ 5ft 8in, Black 5ft 10in, Hanson @5ft 10in, Soper at 5ft 6in - I don't know the fifth starter or who comes off the bench first.  I think DL is 7 deep like Shanley

I will let somebody else fire the first solvo.

You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:30 pm

EDC wrote:Shanley starters are 5ft 10in Schuler, 5ft 6in Bower twin guards, Paulson and Carew 6ft 1in posts.  7 players deep with 5ft 4in Jackson and 6ft 1in Pollard off the bench.

Privatsky @ 5ft 8in, Black 5ft 10in, Hanson @5ft 10in, Soper at 5ft 6in - I don't know the fifth starter or who comes off the bench first.  I think DL is 7 deep like Shanley

I will let somebody else fire the first solvo.

Burtness is the 5th at 5'11.  Kuntz and mertens are off the bench and gathman has given them good minutes....not nearly as tough as the bench from shanley.  Devils Lake thinks that they have something to prove and are going to come out very intense....i predict a good game with DL by about 6
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Trickey7 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:54 pm

Big game, Schuler and Paulson, will dominate.  Kayla Bauer will make a big difference on defense.  Shanley by 10 easy, maybe more in a little bit of a statement.  The first game was teetering on a blowout for a while, this one could turn out that way.
Trickey7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EDC » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:58 pm

First off, we'll try not to offend anybody.  Both teams have good players and I am sure they all are fine young ladies that are just doing their best and playing hard.  Both schools should be proud!  I will not be there so you all will have to tell me what happens.

Here is how I see it:

Home crowd - Advantage DL
Shooting - Advantage DL
Defense - Advantage Shanley
Bench - Advantage Shanley
Coaching - Advantage Shanley
Confidence - Advantage DL
Know How To Win - Advantage DL
Rebounding - Advantage Shanley
Free Throw Shooting - Advantage DL
Speed and Quickness - Advantage DL
Desire - Even
Conditioning - Even
Passing - Advantage DL
3 Point Shooting - Even
Height - Advantage Shanley

What else?  Again, I think Shanley will win unless DL shoots the lights out.  Shanley's defense will win it for them - in my humble opinion.  Either way it should be fun.

You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:29 pm

I agree with EDC, but I think that the shooting is even between the teams.  Also, DL didn't seem like they were in great condition against South.  The way i see it, if Shanley gets a hand in DL's face (which they usually do) on defense and stop the run Shanley wins.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby DeuceTrey » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:39 pm

good job there EDC, except one thing. DL wins in the comparison that you put up, and i think that we are all underplaying the fact that the game is being played in DL. i think that will be a big factor, that and i know the girls are looking to get some pay back. I say DL in a close one, no more than 5 between them.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:43 pm

as a huge homer, i will admit that i am extremely nervous about this game for the sole reason that it is in Devils Lake. It may be a close game for that reason. I would take Shanley hands down if the the game was closer or in Fargo. All i hear from both guys and girls is that it is very tough to win in Devils Lake.
Prediction: Shanley finally plays a complete game against a quality opponent and doesnt let DL back in the game after a fast start.
SHS: 67
DL:46
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DeuceTrey » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:22 pm

i actually think that DL will be the team to get off and running and take an early lead. They have some momentum from the Minot game, and they have the home crowd, which is important. There is no way that the winner of this game wins by more than 10. i dont even thnk it will be more than 6. who ever has the momentum and energy left in the end of the game will win it.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:47 pm

63-46 Devils Lake wins...I think that is a statement
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:30 pm

heck yeah it is, DL is a great team. They dont get much credit  because of the ballclubs out west.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby WildWarrior » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:46 pm

I have to admit that this is the first time i have seen the DL girls play but wow, Ashley Privatsky is amazing.  She possesses so many intangibles that can't' be taught.  She has floor vision that a lot of boys could only wish to possess.  It was a game that DL really played in streaks.  Defense really struggled at times especially on the glass.  DL made a statement in my opinion but they need to be able to hit some freethrows to be successful come tournament time.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DeuceTrey » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:35 pm

i was very impressed with the play of DL's posts tonight. They played hard and scrappy, knocking balls loose, and picking up those loose balls. they got off to a slow start, down by as much as 10 or 12 right away, but picked it up right before half, leading 32-24. they just kept it up the rest of the game. i was also very impressed with Shuler, she is a really good player. i didnt see all that much from Shanley's post players who were supposed to just dominate and blow DL out of the water. they just must have had a off night.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WildWarrior » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:49 pm

DeuceTrey wrote:i was very impressed with the play of DL's posts tonight. They played hard and scrappy, knocking balls loose, and picking up those loose balls. they got off to a slow start, down by as much as 10 or 12 right away, but picked it up right before half, leading 32-24. they just kept it up the rest of the game. i was also very impressed with Shuler, she is a really good player. i didnt see all that much from Shanley's post players who were supposed to just dominate and blow DL out of the water. they just must have had a off night

Schuler was very impressive.  I have to wonder how much that brace slowed her down.  Hanson was very impressive tonight, some of her moves amaze me.  I was a little concerned with that stretch where the posts seemed to disappear on D when Shanley got a lot of easy layups.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:20 pm

Guess who is in 1st place right now??   NOT SHANLEY OR DEVILS LAKE

Fargo South with their 60 pt win at Valley City is sitting on top with a 9 - 1 record, 

Shanley at South Tuesday!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:53 pm

The bruins are going to have a tough time.  Shanley is a good team and they got a wake up call against DL tonight.  I think South is gonna have a tough time and feel the affects of a Shanley team who has something to prove.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:31 am

Privratsky held shuler to 6 points and 2 of those were when DL went on a fast-break and Shuler stood at the opposite three point line and waited for someone to give her the ball while DL went for the offinsive rebound.  I was not nearly as impressed as I have been in past games.  Good players need to find a way to take over a game.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:20 am

DeuceTrey wrote:i was very impressed with the play of DL's posts tonight. They played hard and scrappy, knocking balls loose, and picking up those loose balls. they got off to a slow start, down by as much as 10 or 12 right away, but picked it up right before half, leading 32-24. they just kept it up the rest of the game. i was also very impressed with Shuler, she is a really good player. i didnt see all that much from Shanley's post players who were supposed to just dominate and blow DL out of the water. they just must have had a off night.

Wasn't there - 2nd (3rd) hand info.  The paper had Paulson scoring 22.  That's not too bad for the Shanley post after scoring 17 the previous game.  Heard the posts were open but didn't get the ball enough.  Correct?  The Shanley guards shot terrible.  Shanley had 7 fouls 7 minutes into the first half and had three starters sitting on the bench with foul trouble.  DL didn't pick up their first foul till 8 minutes left in the first half.  True? DL was in MUCH better condition.  Completely out ran Shanley and scored lapup after layup.  DL outrebounded Shanley.  That tells me that DL was very motivated.  Congrats to DL.  If Shanley beats South, they will be the number 1 seed in the conference.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:28 am

Its very hard to win in Devils Lake, They have great fans and the Firebirds always play great at home!!  So Devils Lake beating Shanley Friday night was not an upset.  Shanley beats DL at home, South beats DL at home, Shanley beat South at home and now DL beats Shanley at home...

Shanley goes to South Tuesday, should be a great game!!  This is one of those years that home court really must be an advantage.
Last edited by bruins44 on Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND#1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:37 am

Anyone think that DL can give Century, Mandan, or BHS a run for there money in the tourney
UND#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:37 am

bballfan1 wrote:The bruins are going to have a tough time.  Shanley is a good team and they got a wake up call against DL tonight.  I think South is gonna have a tough time and feel the affects of a Shanley team who has something to prove.

I think South has something to prove to Shanley.... after playing poor for the first 18 minutes in their game at Shanley... remember Shanley lead by as many as 18 pts in the first half in that game and South dominated the second half...   They are both good teams with 1st place on the line Tuesday night! 
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:40 am

UND#1 wrote:Anyone think that DL can give Century, Mandan, or BHS a run for there money in the tourney

They can play with Century and Bismarck.... NOT MANDAN,  I dont think Mandan will lose a game the rest of the season,  has anyone seen their scores lately?? they are crushing everyone since that hickup vs Century... Amundson's team is rolling, they are by far the best team in our state.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:53 am

Mandan Scores vs North Dakota schools since Christmas!! and by the way they won the Christmas tournament in Gillette over some very good teams!

Jan 4 Bismarck High 83-47,Jan 6 Minot 83-42, Jan 13, Belcourt 90-41, Jan 16 Dickinson 73-47, Jan 19 St Marys 101-40, Jan 23 Jamestown 76-42, Jan 26 Williston 88-34....

By looking at these scores either Mandan is great or the WEST really isnt a very good conference other than Century, Mandan and maybe BHS...  You draw your own conclusions
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:41 am

The Gym at Fargo South will be packed on tuesday night. it'll be hard to give a homecourt advantage to anyone in this game with both school's students showing up mass amounts for both the girls and boys games. Who isn't excited about this upcoming game? As far as I see it, one of the big three from the East will get a shot at Mandan at state. I think all Easterners can unite in hopes of an EDC victory, and some Eastern ND legitimization. (is that a word?)
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BisonFan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:08 pm

EDC wrote:
DeuceTrey wrote:i was very impressed with the play of DL's posts tonight. They played hard and scrappy, knocking balls loose, and picking up those loose balls. they got off to a slow start, down by as much as 10 or 12 right away, but picked it up right before half, leading 32-24. they just kept it up the rest of the game. i was also very impressed with Shuler, she is a really good player. i didnt see all that much from Shanley's post players who were supposed to just dominate and blow DL out of the water. they just must have had a off night.

Wasn't there - 2nd (3rd) hand info.  The paper had Paulson scoring 22.  That's not too bad for the Shanley post after scoring 17 the previous game.  Heard the posts were open but didn't get the ball enough.  Correct?  The Shanley guards shot terrible.  Shanley had 7 fouls 7 minutes into the first half and had three starters sitting on the bench with foul trouble.  DL didn't pick up their first foul till 8 minutes left in the first half.  True? DL was in MUCH better condition.  Completely out ran Shanley and scored lapup after layup.  DL outrebounded Shanley.  That tells me that DL was very motivated.  Congrats to DL.  If Shanley beats South, they will be the number 1 seed in the conference.

I have seen Shanley play a few games this year and this defeat is probably the best thing that could happen right now. They were probably riding a little high and needed a gut check to keep them on focus for the rest of the season.  With that being said, when the guards are on the bench (the case last night) it makes the offense one dimensional. You have to realize that the posts get open by the play of the guards.  If they didnt receive the ball enough it was probably because the 3 pt. shooting was lost. When Shanley is hitting the outside shots like most nights that makes the posts open and all they have to do is finish. When I've seen shs play this year the guards have opened up so many points for the posts, and rarely has the post dominated just on pure moves.  I think the shanley/south game will be a very close game with south edging out the victory, I just dont think shanley will have enough time to rebound (2 days) after the tough loss.
I like your style...
BisonFan
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Girls