Gillette Energy Classic (Mandan) match-ups

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby SDHoops » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:48 am

[align=left]
MANDAN HS, ND[/align]
[align=left]8:30 AM[/align]
[align=left]12/28/2006[/align]
[align=left]COEUR D' ALENE HS, ID
[/align]
[align=left]
CHEYENNE CENTRAL[/align]
[align=left]12:00 PM[/align]
[align=left]CRESCENT VALLEY HS, OR[/align]

[align=left]
BRIGHTON HS, UT[/align]
[align=left]3:30 PM[/align]
[align=left]PRINCETON HS, TX
[/align]
[align=left]
CAMPBELL COUNTY[/align]
[align=left]7:30 PM[/align]
[align=left]BARTLETT HS, AK[/align]
Last edited by SDHoops on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby SDHoops » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:25 am

SDHOOPS' SCOUTING REPORT

Above: Jess Andrews signs with the University of Nebraska. She will swim there next year.
Campbell County (Gillette) High School, Wyoming

Record: 4-4
Coach: Mitch Holst
Classification: 4A
Last Year: State 4A Champions
Ranking: #1 in the State of Wyoming
Top Player: Jess Andrews, 5'11" senior forward (12.5 ppg, 6 rpg, 2.5 bpg)
Other: Lost all four games in the Nike Tournament of Champions (Blue Division) last weekend

[url=javascript:history.back();]Image[/url]
Above: Hillary Carlson
Cheyenne Central High School, Wyoming
Record: 3-3
Coach: Chad Whitworth
Classification: 4A
Last Year: State 4A Runner-Up
Ranking: #3 in the State of Wyoming
Top Player: Hillary Carlson, 6'3" senior forward/center (14.3 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 4.3 bpg, 2.8 spg, 56% FG, 80% FT)
Other: Carlson will be playing basketball for the University of Wyoming next fall

[color=black][size=2][color=darkred]Above:
Brenna Hahn
Above: Tasha Dickey
[/color]Brighton (Salt Lake City) High School, Utah
[/size][/color]Record: 5-1
Coach: [color=black]Jim Gresh
[/color]Classification:
5A
Last Year: Lost to Mountain View in the State semi-finals
Ranking: #3 in Class 5A
Top Players: Brenna Hahn, 5'10" senior guard (26.3 ppg, returning second team all-state selection) and Tasha Dickey, 5'10" senior guard (16.7 ppg, returning first team all-state selection)
Other: Brenna Hahn has scored 30 or more points in 4 of the first 6 games for Brighton. Teammate Tasha Dickey is headed to the University of Arizona to play ball next fall.

[size=2][color=#8b0000]Above:
Emily Doran
Crescent Valley High School, Oregon
[/size][/color]Record:
6-0
Coach: Kodi Waite
Classification: 5A
Last Year: Lost in the second round of the state playoffs
Ranking: #2 in Class 5A
Top Player: Emily Doran, 5'11" senior point guard (16.8 ppg, 5.7 apg, 3.3 spg)
Other: Outscoring opponents by 11 ppg (54-43)

Above: Kama Griffitts
[color=navy]Coeur D'Alene High School, ID
[/color]Record:
10-0
Coach: Dale Poffenroth
Classification: 5A
Last Year: State 5A Runner-Up
Ranking: #1 in Class 5A
Top Player: Kama Griffitts, 5'10" sophomore forward (15 ppg, 8 rpg)
Other: Played first ten games without 6'1" junior center Deanna Dotts, could play against Mandan in Gillette

Princeton High School, TX

Record: 10-5
Coach: Dexter Ivy
Classification: 3A
Last Year: Lost in Regional play-offs
Ranking: Not Rated
Top Player: Hayley Fields, 5'8" junior guard (16 ppg, 5 spg)
Other: 6'1" junior guard/forward/center Whitney Coffey is also capable of putting up double figures in scoring and rebounding. Last year, Whitney was the defensive player of the year in the conferece, while Hayley picked up honors on the offensive end. Ivy was named coach of the year for the district, as well.

My Predictions:
Quarters:

Mandan defeats Coeur D'Alene 60-57
Crescent Valley stops Cheyenne Central 52-38
Brighton blows by Princeton 66-40
Campbell County stomps Bartlett 80-42
Semis:
Mandan gets by Crescent Valley 51-44
Brighton squeaks by Campbell County 47-43
Championship:
Brighton defeats Mandan 62-55
Last edited by SDHoops on Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm

Are any of these schools ranked nationally?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby SDHoops » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:21 pm

I checked and none of the teams are ranked nationally nor regionally. However, Tasha Dickey is considered one of the top guards in the nation. I couldn't find much on Bartlett. I don't think they even had a team last year? I'm a little surprised that Mandan and CDA were paired  up in the first round, considering they are both two of the top teams in the tournament
Last edited by SDHoops on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:11 am

Nice post SDHoops!
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby demonfan74 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:42 pm

Congrats mandan on being invited.  But what I don't like about these invitation tournaments is that last years team earned that invitation and I don't think this years team can compare.  They don't have nearly as much talent.  They aren't a true representation of ND's best anymore.   
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ditka14 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm

demonfan74 wrote:Congrats mandan on being invited.  But what I don't like about these invitation tournaments is that last years team earned that invitation and I don't think this years team can compare.  They don't have nearly as much talent.  They aren't a true representation of ND's best anymore.   

haha, they have 4 state championships in a row that is why they got the invite, as of now they are the best team, unless century knocks them off in the state championship that one game doesn't matter. It's who wins state
Last edited by Ditka14 on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby MHSfan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:03 pm

demonfan74 wrote:Congrats mandan on being invited.  But what I don't like about these invitation tournaments is that last years team earned that invitation and I don't think this years team can compare.  They don't have nearly as much talent.  They aren't a true representation of ND's best anymore.   

So do you think that BHS should be in there instead?
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby demonfan74 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:25 pm

Ha ha good one.  Did I even mention them? Do you think I am another bias commenter out there that says it all in his name?  In fact, I am the exact opposite.  I have found myself more of a Century fan than anything.  They to me have proved to be the school I want my kids to go to in the future.  The style of play, competitiveness, and learning atmosphere.  But that is a different topic; I just stated my opinion on those types of invitational tournaments, and how they are misleading on the representation of a team comparable to a season before.  Okay? 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ditka14 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:40 pm

demonfan74 wrote:Ha ha good one.  Did I even mention them? Do you think I am another bias commenter out there that says it all in his name?  In fact, I am the exact opposite.  I have found myself more of a Century fan than anything.  They to me have proved to be the school I want my kids to go to in the future.  The style of play, competitiveness, and learning atmosphere.  But that is a different topic; I just stated my opinion on those types of invitational tournaments, and how they are misleading on the representation of a team comparable to a season before.  Okay? 

well there still comparable returning the best player in this state maybe all-time for girls, and only lossing 1 one all-stater last year in rogers, so IMO i think there more then worthy, you think Century should be going in their place?
Last edited by Ditka14 on Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ming01 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:17 pm

demonfan74 wrote:Ha ha good one.  Did I even mention them? Do you think I am another bias commenter out there that says it all in his name?  In fact, I am the exact opposite.  I have found myself more of a Century fan than anything.  They to me have proved to be the school I want my kids to go to in the future.  The style of play, competitiveness, and learning atmosphere.  But that is a different topic; I just stated my opinion on those types of invitational tournaments, and how they are misleading on the representation of a team comparable to a season before.  Okay? 

Well if you have boys then I suggest you send them to BHS.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby REbound » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:27 am

Yes, I believe that Mandan is the team to represent the state of ND.  Their is no question.  They are the 4 time defending state champions.  Yes they lost to Century in OT.  The season is still young.   Teams are still looking to see who will shine in different situations.  Mandan is one of those teams after graduating Rogers, they are looking for someone to step up at the guard position.  Mandan will be there at the end.  They have a great coaching staff and great kids. 
REbound
NDPreps Rookie

Postby SDHoops » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:31 pm

I think we should give pats on the back to both Century and Mandan for the outstanding game they played the other week.  Mandan has set a standard the past few years and teams are starting to respond. This will make for a better state tournament with more teams having that single-common goal: a state championship run. With the Century's and Shanley's, there will be more competition at hand for Mandan. Instead of either side trying to bring the other one down, we should look at it as a positive thing toward the future. A tourney such as the Energy Classic will give Mandan the competition that a portion of their schedule does not provide. They will be put in situations where they have to raise their game to be successful throughout each game.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka14 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:02 pm

SDHoops wrote:I think we should give pats on the back to both Century and Mandan for the outstanding game they played the other week.  Mandan has set a standard the past few years and teams are starting to respond. This will make for a better state tournament with more teams having that single-common goal: a state championship run. With the Century's and Shanley's, there will be more competition at hand for Mandan. Instead of either side trying to bring the other one down, we should look at it as a positive thing toward the future. A tourney such as the Energy Classic will give Mandan the competition that a portion of their schedule does not provide. They will be put in situations where they have to raise their game to be successful throughout each game.

Good point and alot of girls teams don't get that over christmas like mandan is going to be seeing
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Strike3? » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:05 am

Mandan beat Coeur D'Alene 64 - 41
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:57 am

Strike3? wrote:Mandan beat Coeur D'Alene 64 - 41

I guess Coeur D'Alene is one of the top teams from Idaho.

http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/articles/2006/12/28/sports/sports01.txt
Last edited by Ming01 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby SDHoops » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:47 pm

Cheyenne Central defeats Crescent Valley 48-45..Emily Doran scored 24 pts. for CV, but Chelsey Lybeck and Hillary Carlson make up for 42 of CC's 48 points (24 and 18 pts., respectively)..can our ND Mandan ladies stop these two defensively?

Brighton beats Princeton, 43-28

and of course Mandan beat Coeur D'Alene 64-41

FYI Bismarck boys also beat CD'A
Last edited by SDHoops on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:48 pm

SDHoops wrote:Cheyenne Central defeats Crescent Valley 48-45..Emily Doran scored 24 pts. for CV, but Chelsey Lybeck and Hillary Carlson make up for 42 of CC's 48 points (24 and 18 pts., respectively)..can our ND Mandan ladies stop these two defensively?

Brighton beats Princeton, 43-28

and of course Mandan beat Coeur D'Alene 64-41

FYI Bismarck boys also beat CD'A

I'll predict a Mandan win over Cheyenne
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Strike3? » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:36 pm

Mandan won, i think the score was 54 - 40
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Strike3? » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:01 pm

Mandan beat Brighton
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SDHoops » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:22 pm

It was Campbell County they beat for the championship, but it was a mistake anyone coulda made! Mandan wins the Gillette Energy Classic..does this earn them #1 in Class A despite a loss? I don't know if Century could cruise through that type of competition
SDHoops
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls