Mandan @ Century

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mandan Vs Century

Century
50%
Mandan
50%

Total votes : 16

Postby O_Snap » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:25 pm

Who's gonna come out with the W
O_Snap

Postby Ming01 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:12 pm

Century won in ot
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:19 pm

So how much confidence does that give other teams in the state knowing that Mandan can be beat after all the hype?  Congrats to Century.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:51 am

Century has beaten Mandan at home every year.   They're very good and very tough at home.  Jossert was bombing some from about 25ft.

Has anyone seen a box score?  I'm currious to see what Mandan's shooting % was.  I'd bet it was 30% FG and about 60% FT.  The radio anouncer said Mandan missed 11 FT the last 8 minutes. 

Its not a good sign when the other team is in the bonus with over 15 minutes to play in the first half.  Mandan had 6 players foul out, but that's with 4 extra minutes of OT too.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfootball » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:09 am

Everyone says how Mandan will beat every team easily.  It is good that they were put in there place.
ndfootball

Postby Ditka14 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:31 am

ndfootball wrote:Everyone says how Mandan will beat every team easily.  It is good that they were put in there place.

The last 3 years they have lost to Century at their home, and what has that trend led up to? 4 consecutive state titles no worry's for Mandan girls they wont lose another game this year in the state.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Redhead » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:02 am

I get weary of the dirty play, particularly when it's intended to cause injury.  Seeing that just ruins the whole thing.   And having refs look the other way makes it a very sad situation.  I've never understood why dirty play is encouraged and allowed.  A really good team doesn't have to play that way to win.

The potty mouth on the floor can stop, too.     

Redhead
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:11 am

I was at the game and didn't really see any really dirty plays like an elbow to the chops or anything.  There was a play where Keilpinski shot a FT and then got sandwiched on the loose ball during the rebound. Most were reaching/slapping/blocking fouls whith some pushing inside.    Fettig got a T but you can't hear anything in the gym when it's rockin like that.

It looked to me like Mandan was a little flat and the outside shot wasn't falling so Century packed in tight on Keilpinski and Kelsch.
Last edited by Deuce on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Redhead » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:15 am

The ones that do it know who they are. 
Redhead
NDPreps Reserve

Postby justbecause » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:18 am

Listening to the radio - sounded like Kelpinski was having one of her best games.  If I was CHS, I would be happy to hear this, knowing they still won!  looks like their off to a great season.  Congratulations to the Patriots!!
justbecause
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:25 am

I don't know if I'd feel too comfortable if I was Century because they let an 18pt second half lead evaporate.  But I'd also have to give Century some congrats because they played hard and won.  The key to the games that I've seen Century beat Mandan is they've always had someone hot on the 3's.  But that can be a double edge sword in that if they're not falling it allows the defense to pack in.  It happened to Mandan last night and it happened to Century last year against Fargo South in state.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justbecause » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:41 am

According to radio announcer, Fettig missed many easy shots.  I believe they said she was 2 of 10; or something close to that.  She finished with 2 FG, and 11 Free Throws.  Also commented on Lafrance held to 6 pts.  Also said how CHS bench is deeper, and have really stepped up, which won the game for CHS.

On the other note they say Kelpinski was in just about the entire game, and had one of her best games.

I don't know Mandan?  You might have something to worry about.
justbecause
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:48 am

I wouldn't say Century's bench is deeper.  Mandan played with players 6 through 10 for a good portion of the game because they were in such foul trouble.  Keilpinski did play the most because she wasn't in foul trouble until the end of the second half.

The Bismarck Tribune does have the box score now.  I was close.  Mandan was 19-66 from the field, 28.7% and 19-32 in FT for 59.4%
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justbecause » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:01 am

According to the Bismarck Tribune, Mandan 35 fouls.  CHS 25 fouls.  Getting back to the story commented earlier on dirty playing.  This should give an insight to who was poking who.  Mandan having 40% more fouls than CHS.  Also add Fettig had Technical Foul.  "It's hard to say what happened listening to the radio", but my impressions were someone was going to get a T.  This time it was against CHS, next time it might be against Mandan.
justbecause
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball18 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:10 am

I know it was just one game, but Mandan did not live up to all of the hype.  I thought they would beat Century by double digits.  I truly think this is the year where Mandan will not take state.  Their bench is nothing compared to what we're used to seeing and their young players dont particularily thrive under pressure.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:28 am

The foul disparity doesn't necessarliy mean Mandan was clobbering Century more than Century was clobbering Mandan.  It could mean Mandan was whistled for everything and anything.  They had to abandon the press at times to keep their players in.  But baseball18 is right, Mandan was throwing up bricks from the perimeter but it wasn't just younger players.  This is only game 2 of a 19 game season so I'll reserve judgement on them before I throw them under the bus.  I mean Mandan used 14 different players and Century used 8.  So its easy to say Century's 6, 7 and 8 were much more polished  than Mandan's 9 - 14
Last edited by Deuce on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justbecause » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:35 am

Come on.  Quit the excuses for fouls.
justbecause
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Redhead » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:46 am

And hope that the injury Fettig sustained as a result of one of them isn't serious.
Redhead
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sioux75 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:49 am

Does anyone remember a game where 6 players from one team fouled out in one game?  Mandan had 35 fouls in the game and Century was in the bonus 3 minutes into the game with the double bonus shortly after.  Century shot 45 free throws in the game.

A lot of the early fouls called were touch fouls where no advantage was gained in the situation.  Even late in the game in the last couple minutes the ref's called some questionable touch fouls and anticipation fouls where they were not even in position to see whether there was a foul or not.

My question is why do referees feel the need to be the game.  With three refs it seems when one start making touch foul calls they all follow along to prove they are in the game.  The effect of the refereeing was that Mandan had to play without a lot of key players for most of the game and almost all of the over time.  Century also had to sit a couple players for periods of time, and had two players foul out and had a total of 25 fouls.

The game would have been much better if the refs would have not called the touch fouls.  We would have been able to watch the best players of both teams play eachother for most of the game, rather than watching the teams shoot a combined 77 free throws. 
sioux75

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:39 am

Fettig played the entire game.  Obviously her injury isn't too bad.

I thought it was a horrid game.  Fouls, poor shooting, turn-overs(unforced) and sub-par free throw shooting. 

The person I was sitting next to commented that he wasn't sure that either team wanted the win.  I agreed both teams tried to give the game away. 

I didn't see any dirty play, a mandan girl got undercut.  There were some hard fouls to stop the easy baskets (mostly Mandan fouling but nothing dirty), and there were a number of calls and no-calls that could have gone either.

I think the biggest difference was the team speed/quickness CHS demonstrated. 
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby justbecause » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:08 am

Reason for all the roughness and foul trouble in last night's game, is because CHS started playing with the "In your face" style of play, that Mandan is so famous for.  When 2 teams get in each others face, stuffs gonna happen!
Last edited by justbecause on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
justbecause
NDPreps Reserve

Postby demonfan74 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:12 am

Give century some credit and respect.  They earned the win and are the top team in the state.  Their all-state point guard couldn't have played more than 18 minutes because of foul trouble in both halves, and they had at least 2 starters on the bench most of the night.  I think that is a good sign that they can come out with a win in that situation.  Also, I thought both teams were "screwed" over by the refs; they did a poor job to say the least.  However, there wasn't much dirty play by either team, and I think someone is trying to come up with excuses.  ENOUGH...century IS the better team and anyone who disagrees is just too stubborn to admit it.
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby justbecause » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:41 am

You are correct.  If I recall Lafrance, and Fettig were both on the bench for a minimum of half the first period, since both were in foul trouble.  CHS had a 13 point lead at half time, and 2 of their best players had maybe 5 points combined the first half. 

Compared to Mandan's best player having the game of her life, and look who still won!  Simply amazing!
justbecause
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kel20Nd » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:50 pm

Both teams looked terrible, Century was without LaFrance most of the game but when she was in she couldnt do anything anyhow. Klepienski did not have the game off her life not eve close she missed 4 wide open lay ups within the last couple minutes of the game.  Mandan had 6 of there top 7 players fouled out 4 of them with more then 3 minutes left of regulation. They could not make a free throw the entire game, I think it is hard say the Century is better then Mandan (when they played them at home where no one can beat) and u make it sound they arent even close you most be the stubborn Century student. Im not saying Mandan is better then Century  to me both teams looked crappy and it was like watching a 8th grade boys basketball game.
Last edited by kel20Nd on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kel20Nd

Postby justbecause » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:58 pm

Good one!  8th grade boys basketball game, huh.  Hopefully your daughter don't play for either team.  Aren't you smart.
justbecause
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Girls