Shanley High

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby shs01240 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:16 am

i wouldnt be suprised in shanley contends for the state title, they have possibley the best junior class in north dakota and with the addition of dominique schuler (who by the way DOMINATED minnesota hoops) they should seriously take a shot at mandan for the state title, what do you think?
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:31 am

they might be good but i dont think any coach in nd can contend with amundson

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nodak » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:29 am

I don't know...being that Tim Jacobson is their new head coach, I think he might know a thing or two about coaching the game of basketball.  Not saying that anybody in the state will compete with Mandan, but Shanley has the coach who can probably get it done.
nodak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bruins44 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:44 pm

shs01240 wrote:i wouldnt be suprised in shanley contends for the state title, they have possibley the best junior class in north dakota and with the addition of dominique schuler (who by the way DOMINATED minnesota hoops) they should seriously take a shot at mandan for the state title, what do you think?

Obviously you are a Shanley player... Shanley went 4 - 14 last year in the EDC and their JV finished in 4th place... so saying that their Jr class is the best doesnt really make sense... if they are that good they should have done better last season!

Im sure that Schuler will make them better, Shanley needs a good perimiter player and Coach Jacobson is a good coach but winning EDC and contending for a state title will be a tall task.  Didnt they lose one of their best players when she moved to Hankinson?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ditka14 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:13 am

nodak wrote:I don't know...being that Tim Jacobson is their new head coach, I think he might know a thing or two about coaching the game of basketball.  Not saying that anybody in the state will compete with Mandan, but Shanley has the coach who can probably get it done.

Whoever this is you realize you are comparing a new coach to possibly the best coach north dakota basketball has ever saw in amundson.
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby bruins44 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:11 am

Ditka14 wrote:
nodak wrote:I don't know...being that Tim Jacobson is their new head coach, I think he might know a thing or two about coaching the game of basketball.  Not saying that anybody in the state will compete with Mandan, but Shanley has the coach who can probably get it done.

Whoever this is you realize you are comparing a new coach to possibly the best coach north dakota basketball has ever saw in amundson.

Amundson is the king of girls basketball in ND,  but Tim Jacobson has won 2 state titles with the Shanley boys before he quit to take a coahing job in Roseville Mn.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballer2 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:42 am

shs01240 wrote:i wouldnt be suprised in shanley contends for the state title, they have possibley the best junior class in north dakota and with the addition of dominique schuler (who by the way DOMINATED minnesota hoops) they should seriously take a shot at mandan for the state title, what do you think?

Schuler can flat out play... good scorer and passer... shes 5 10 and she can play
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:49 am

i agree...schuler can play.  I've seen her play in an AAU tourney a few years ago, 5'10" and can handle the ball and shoot outside as well as in. tough matchup
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hi Rizer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:10 am

Who will be shanleys starting 5 this year?? name, grade and postion plz
Hi Rizer

Postby shs01240 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:10 am

For the record i am not a shanley player.  Tim Jacobson is the only ND Coach comparable to Amundson.  Few know he assistant coache under Majerus at Utah while his son was in attendance there.  As for the junior class, none played JV last year, 3 maybe 4 are over 6 feet tall.  Schuler was named to the top 40 list of Seniors in Minnesota GBB before she transferred.  Only 1 starter has been lost over the last2 years.  Sounds like an EDC championship to me.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:22 am

Can Schuler play right away or does she have to to wait til January with the transfer and all..
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballer2 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:30 am

baseball wrote:Can Schuler play right away or does she have to to wait til January with the transfer and all..

yup she played volleyball... so... yea she can
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndbb » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:51 pm

you dont have to sit out if you transfer to a private school  and/or if your family owns property in the town.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:59 pm

ok i was just making sure because i know a few kids who have had to sit out after moving.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bruins44 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:24 pm

shs01240 wrote:For the record i am not a shanley player.  Tim Jacobson is the only ND Coach comparable to Amundson.  Few know he assistant coache under Majerus at Utah while his son was in attendance there.  As for the junior class, none played JV last year, 3 maybe 4 are over 6 feet tall.  Schuler was named to the top 40 list of Seniors in Minnesota GBB before she transferred.  Only 1 starter has been lost over the last2 years.  Sounds like an EDC championship to me.

Tim Jacobson was NOT an assistant coach at Utah!!  You are wrong!!  he has been a principal at Mapleton since he left Roseville!!  Im sure there are alot of people that can name coaches that have had better records in ND than Jacobson,yes some of those juniors played JV last year!!  Please get your facts right! if they didnt Shanley wouldnt have been able to play a JV schedule because they only had 13 girls out for basketball in the entire high school program.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:37 pm

Pollard and Paulson are the two juniors that Shanley has that can be called quality players back from last year,  Geffre sisters tranfered because of the way the school treated last years coach... and that will hurt their depth...Yes I think they will have a much improved team but lets wait and see before we give them the EDC title and runnerup in state to Mandan!   Remember West Fargo, Devils Lake and Fargo South will have something to say in who wins the EDC.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:20 am

bruins44 wrote:
shs01240 wrote: Tim Jacobson is the only ND Coach comparable to Amundson. 

Amundson is a great coach but saying that Jacobson is the only coach to compare is just plain stupid!!  Manson from Minot(boys) Miller from Bismarck(boys) and Flaagan from Fargo South (girls) all should be included when comparing great coaches... they all have won multiple state and region titles and every year their teams are contending for the State title!!  Great coaches have great teams year in and year out so in my opinion these three are ahead of Jacobson based on what they have done at their schools.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:49 am

possible starters for SHS:

Senior Dominique Schuler 5'10-Four year starter in Breckenridge

Seniors kayla and Katie Bowar- Three year starters at SHS

The Three Trees:

Junior Mara Paulson-over 6 feet-Started as Sophomore

Junior Lauren Carew-Over 6 Feet started as sophomore

Junior Jessica Pollard-Over 6feet started as a sophomore

Thats a wealth of varsity experience, and alot of size.  how can they not be considered a state contender, especially with a proven, successful high school basketball coach.  and just to fuel more rage, i predict the honor of Miss Basketball being bestowed upon Dominique Schuler this season.

FYI:  jacobson did help out at Utah for a year or two before going to mapleton.
Last edited by shs01240 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:20 am

as to an earlier comment, i did not have the intention of discrediting any other north dakota coaches. sorry, i misspoke. but please do not take anything away from jacobson, his boys teams were perennial EDC and State contenders.  lets not forget that he coached against schools with from anywhere from 4-6x the enrollment of Shanley.  A worthy coach as any in my book.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:29 am

I think saying Shanley, a 4-14,6-16 team is going to win the EDC and then go on and unseat Mandan is a bit of a stretch.   Adding a quality player is one thing but I think Shanley found out first hand last year what it takes to keep up with Mandan and it's not necessarily height.

Shuler played for Breckenridge last year and they lost by double digits to Wahpeton.  If Shuler was that dominant I don't think that would happen.  Wahpeton was only 1 place better in the EDC last year than Shanley.

I may be wrong and maybe the Shanley girls will prove me wrong but I don't see them placing higher than 4th in the EDC.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:54 pm

Deuce wrote:I think saying Shanley, a 4-14,6-16 team is going to win the EDC and then go on and unseat Mandan is a bit of a stretch.  
Shuler played for Breckenridge last year and they lost by double digits to Wahpeton.  If Shuler was that dominant I don't think that would happen.  Wahpeton was only 1 place better in the EDC last year than Shanley.

I may be wrong and maybe the Shanley girls will prove me wrong but I don't see them placing higher than 4th in the EDC.

Bingo!!   Shuler may turn out to be a great player but... Wahp was not a good EDC team and if she was as good as [user=996]shs01240[/user] says then they should have beaten a bad Wahpeton.   The hoopster has Devils Lake #1, Fargo South #2, West Fargo #3 and Red River #4 in the EDC (voted on by the coaches)
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:15 am

How can you base the talent of a player on single game.  everyone here knows even the best of players have those types of days.  Consider this: Schuler had an off day against a bad wahpeton team, and still dropped 20 & 10.  you'll just have to wait and see.
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rkmt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:33 am

bruins44 wrote: Geffre sisters tranfered because of the way the school treated last years coach... and that will hurt their depth...
Where did the Geffre's go?
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:03 am

The Geffre sisters moved to Hankinson... they played Oak Grove last night, I heard they are living at their lake home
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:07 am

You're right one game may not be a fair comparison but it was against an EDC Team so it was important in evaluating how good she might do in ND.  No one really knows but the fun is in trying to guess.  So the other question I asked myself was how good of competition was she playing against every night to put up the numbers. (I don't know what they were but if 20-10 is a bad game I imagine they were pretty good)

So I tried to find another team that also played EDC teams.  I came up with Crookston.  They were the 2A Minn State runners up, meanning they were one of the best. Crookston beat GF Central and GF Red River but lost to Devils Lake.  So I'd put them at around 4 or 5 in the EDC.  Now throw in the WDA and they'd be looking to try and crack the top 10 in ND.  That tells me she was playing lower competition most of the time.

Now to figure out how she might affect Shanley's team.  They were 4-14 in the EDC and were young.  How Many of those 14 losses would she have been the difference maker and Shanley would end up winning?  My guess is 8 leaving them at a 12-6 in the EDC which in my mind should be about a 4th place finish. 

The next issue is would they now have the fire power to knock off Mandan?  Mandan went 7-0 against EDC teams last year including Shanley, -61.  West Fargo got closest with -15, followed by Fargo South at -28.

Predictions are just guesses so I'll still go with my initial prediction of 4th place in the EDC with a State appearance and a first round matchup with Mandan.  (Although Century might have something to say about that) 

Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Girls