Shanley High

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Shanley High

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:30 pm

bruins44 wrote:Luther??? Paul was at Hankinson doing the boys game vs Casselton.

its still hard to believe that Wahp could stay that close to Shanley?? even with bad refs

Refs are part of the game. :!: :!:
Last edited by dgfsuperfan1 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby bruins44 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:50 pm

roughriderfan wrote:After watching Red River lose big to Crookston last night I am suprised Shanley beat them. That is very impressive by Shanley, a very good win. I thought RR played ok last night but were no match for Crookston. Can't wait for the RR-Shanley matchup.

Crookston played Shanley without Wahlin, that was the difference. as you saw she is a great player, without her Crookston is good but with her they are a great team.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Carl08 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:31 pm

I think shanley probably had to recover from their loss to south...Wahpeton came out very strong and shot extremely well the first half...shanley was down by 13 late in the first half and they came back strong in the second...molly jackson, lauren carew, and jess pollard played less than half the game because of foul trouble...shanley was up by 7 with about 1:00 left but Wahp got fouled and hit a free throw and then hit a 3 (which was heavily guarded) with 8 sec. left
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:06 pm

Carl08 wrote:I think shanley probably had to recover from their loss to south...Wahpeton came out very strong and shot extremely well the first half...shanley was down by 13 late in the first half and they came back strong in the second...molly jackson, lauren carew, and jess pollard played less than half the game because of foul trouble...shanley was up by 7 with about 1:00 left but Wahp got fouled and hit a free throw and then hit a 3 (which was heavily guarded) with 8 sec. left

I was told the Huskies had the last possession and a chance to win but Braun threw the ball away so no shot got off. Is that true? I also was told by Wahpeton parents that Jacobson really lost his cool and was all over the floor. Is that true or just sour grapes. They also thought the officiating was fine. Two sides to every story is guess?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby GOOD OF THE TEAM » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:11 pm

Shanley simply has to get better if they are to contend for the EDC title and/or place in the state tournament. I've watched five or six EDC teams play a couple times, and two of the teams from the west play twice. All these teams appear to have improved from the previous time I saw them play. I do not see this with the Shanley team. However, they are still good...and they have plenty of time to get better. Oh, and they still have three starters over six feet tall. It will be interesting to see who is still standing in March.
GOOD OF THE TEAM

Postby EDC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:46 pm

The thought crossed my mind that maybe Shanley had peaked but that hardly would be possible at the 2nd or 3rd game. As far as fouls. From what I have noticed, almost every time a player gets into foul trouble they have had what could be called a "dumb" foul. Most of the time early in the game. A frustration foul after a missed shot or a reach in foul far away from the basket. We will see what adjustments Jacobson makes. I reserve judgement on how good Shanley is or will be. I think the posters here have been pretty fair with their assessments of what type of team Shanley has. Go Deacons!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby soccer09 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:29 pm

shanley beats red river by 22 (or 23).
Close after one half but halftime adjustments led to a huge run....the standard great play of paulson jackson and l. carew was there but the difference was n. carew and kenney playing major roles. The team was able to get a great aggressive mentality in the 2nd half that completely shut red river down...... i was extremely impressed with what i saw that 2nd half. if they can play like that, i like their chances with anybody.

As for the big double digits win.... who told ya? ;P
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan1 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:59 pm

What exactly did Shanley do to win so big...did they play man or zone...shoot well? what changed from the Wahpeton game to the RR game?
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby HitManHoops » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:19 pm

bballfan1 wrote:What exactly did Shanley do to win so big...did they play man or zone...shoot well? what changed from the Wahpeton game to the RR game?

They came out strong from the beginning, unlike the past two games. They played both man and zone and were getting good looks.
HitManHoops

Postby hankump25 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:23 am

Obviously you responding to these posts don't watch alot of basketball or have any class to throw officials under the bus. I attended this particular game when Wahpeton High girls' hosted Shanley and you seem to blame the outcome on the officials, if anything they were more than generous to Tim Jacobson the Shanley coach and his baby antics ...Who stomps their feet on the ground when they don't get a call? C'mon, he should have been on the bus before halftime.....
The problem with most fans and coaches, I played and coached in my earlier years is that MOST fans do not know the rules nor do the coaches...Fans see coaches throw a tantrum and then take the coaches side more times than not before an officials...Shanley played terrible that evening throwing the ball away possession after possession and you give Wahpeton High no credit instead fidning a way to blame the officials who I thought handled the game well. I have been around for several years and seen alot of basketball in my time and for you to make an excuse about official's calls or lackluster performance instead of telling everyone on here that the Shanley girls got outplayed is a low blow to the officials who actually do work the games so we can attend them...Next time get it straight when doing a bleacher report...
hankump25

Postby Baller » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:38 am

saying that coaches dont know the rules is extremely uneducated. Coaches are required to go to the same rules meetings the officials are. Coaches know just as much...if not more than some officials. Coaches go to clinics and conventions year after year. There has been more than one occasion I have seen a coach pull out the rule book to show a ref the rules. I am not saying that the fans or Jacobson were not out of line because I was not at the game to witness it, but if you are going to post an argument, then at least do not fall into the same trap that you are ranting about.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:51 am

Baller wrote:saying that coaches dont know the rules is extremely uneducated. Coaches are required to go to the same rules meetings the officials are. Coaches know just as much...if not more than some officials. Coaches go to clinics and conventions year after year. There has been more than one occasion I have seen a coach pull out the rule book to show a ref the rules. I am not saying that the fans or Jacobson were not out of line because I was not at the game to witness it, but if you are going to post an argument, then at least do not fall into the same trap that you are ranting about.

yes coaches do have to attend the same rules clinics as the officials, but they are not tested on the rules and many coaches do not read or study them........they just attend the clinics b/c they have to. many coaches are smart and know the rules but just as many don't.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:17 am

luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:
Baller wrote:saying that coaches dont know the rules is extremely uneducated. Coaches are required to go to the same rules meetings the officials are. Coaches know just as much...if not more than some officials. Coaches go to clinics and conventions year after year. There has been more than one occasion I have seen a coach pull out the rule book to show a ref the rules. I am not saying that the fans or Jacobson were not out of line because I was not at the game to witness it, but if you are going to post an argument, then at least do not fall into the same trap that you are ranting about.

yes coaches do have to attend the same rules clinics as the officials, but they are not tested on the rules and many coaches do not read or study them........they just attend the clinics b/c they have to. many coaches are smart and know the rules but just as many don't.

YOU ARE WRONG every head coach in the state must take the same test as the official! if they dont, they are fined by the NDSHAA... and if they fail the test they are reprimanded by the state assoc.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Coach29 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:33 am

Being Careful of whats said and knowing the facts! It looks that the comment written by "Soccer09" went on the worldwide web and under the officials names as quotes from his writing off this ND Preps Page the second paragraph under the Shanley High Topic. There is talk of one of the Officials contacting legal council (Attorney) about Slander or Character Degradation/dehumanization. So if I was "Soccer09, I would be getting that off here by the ND Preps Board and maybe appololgizing to those Officials. Wow!!
Coach 29
Coach29

Postby Baller » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:21 pm

Coach29 wrote:Being Careful of whats said and knowing the facts! It looks that the comment written by "Soccer09" went on the worldwide web and under the officials names as quotes from his writing off this ND Preps Page the second paragraph under the Shanley High Topic. There is talk of one of the Officials contacting legal council (Attorney) about Slander or Character Degradation/dehumanization. So if I was "Soccer09, I would be getting that off here by the ND Preps Board and maybe appololgizing to those Officials. Wow!!
Coach 29

For saying that the refs were bad???....I hope they are about to stick lawsuits on almost every fan in the country that has ever watched an event. you should read his posts. Nothing personal at all about the refs and he stated what the fouls were. If you cant take the critism then get out of officiating!!
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EDC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:11 pm

I think their names should at least be edited out.

Shanley played bad especially in the first half and Wahpeton played good. Shanley is not good enough to just show up and win. I was surprised it was a close game. Give Wahpeton credit. One of those games when everything went wrong for Shanley.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:25 am

Shanley over Devils lake by about 20 they let DL score about 47? I thought it would be a greater margin of victory, what was the story?
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:33 am

bballfan1 wrote:Shanley over Devils lake by about 20 they let DL score about 47? I thought it would be a greater margin of victory, what was the story?

Devils Lake had three starters sitting on the bench with injuries but they still have some pretty good shooters. Final score Shanley 74 - Devils Lake 55
dgfsuperfan1

Postby hankump25 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:43 pm

EDC wrote:I think their names should at least be edited out.

Shanley played bad especially in the first half and Wahpeton played good. Shanley is not good enough to just show up and win. I was surprised it was a close game. Give Wahpeton credit. One of those games when everything went wrong for Shanley.

I agree with EDC here and give Wahpeton credit on this night. Shanley is not at the point where they can just show up and expect to win, actually no one is in the East is when it comes to Girl's Class A basketball. Shanley and Fargo South have shown strong efforts during the season, but for posts to blame officials on a near loss to an improving and talented team in Wahpeton only shows lack of sportsmanship. Give the kids credit where credit is earned, and Shanley played a poor game this particular evening..
hankump25

Postby hankump25 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:49 pm

bruins44 wrote:
luvmy3gbb1wr wrote:

YOU ARE WRONG every head coach in the state must take the same test as the official! if they dont, they are fined by the NDSHAA... and if they fail the test they are reprimanded by the state assoc.

I'd like to know where some of you give your information, the one who started this blog...Coaches indeed do have to take a test like an official does, for you to say coaches or officials just slide by without any time taken to read, study or attend clinics/conventions is plain ignorance ...
This started by someone comparing coaches and officials in what they know about the game, let the coaches coach and the officials officiate, why start an argument? They are doing what they chose to do and are most likely good at it for they have a job at some school or in some association.
hankump25

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:58 pm

Shanley vs FSH game was close. Free throws at the end sealed it for FSH. A nice crowd was there to watch the game. I will make no comments on the refs. FSH has a balanced team and seems to find someone to step up each game when needed. Tonight it was their seniors. Shanley changed their matchups on the defense from the last game and it looked like it helped. Good close game that could have gone either way. Will they meet again in the EDC championship game?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby soccer09 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:08 pm

Coach29 wrote:Being Careful of whats said and knowing the facts! It looks that the comment written by "Soccer09" went on the worldwide web and under the officials names as quotes from his writing off this ND Preps Page the second paragraph under the Shanley High Topic. There is talk of one of the Officials contacting legal council (Attorney) about Slander or Character Degradation/dehumanization. So if I was "Soccer09, I would be getting that off here by the ND Preps Board and maybe appololgizing to those Officials. Wow!!
Coach 29

hahahaha..... very funny. there are several key problems with this ever occurring:
1. if the issue was the fact there name appeared on the board, i didn't post it. soo, too bad.
2. Refs are not anonymous robots in high school basketball.... if someone else named them, thats to be expected.
3. Complaining about an officiating job is in no way illegal. here are the facts: exactly what i said was true. major shanley players spent tons of time out of the game on questionable calls, and the foul count at one point was 9-0. this was due to poor officiating in my opinion. however, for their to be any instance of "slander or character degradation" they would A. have to have definitive proof that the calls were all perfect or B. find some way in which i attacked someone personally. As we can all see, this didn't occur.... thank you for that comment, made me laugh quite a bit ^
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:48 pm

Lets talk about Shanley. Nice article in Fargo Forum about Paulson today. She has progressed tremendously since I first saw her play as a Freshman. I hope she fits in well at Jamestown.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby EDC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:54 am

Playing college basketball is a big commitment. DI is crazy, DII is difficult, DIII & NAIA less so. All have long road trips and time spent away from school playing bb. Jamestown is a good choose for those that want to have a total college experience and concentrate a little more on classes. It is a personal decision for those that have options. For those that have the option and choose to go to the highest division they can you gotta give them credit. They must have that motivation to desire to go for it. Some find out that bb isn't as important as they thought and just stop playing. All are personal decisions and I wish all who are going through this process the best of luck. It all works out in the end.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby soccer09 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:51 pm

i just heard shanley lost by 1 to red river.... any confirmation on this? if this is true their in serious trouble........ their chances of doing well seem to be vanishing. the word underachieving has to come to mind....
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls