Shanley High

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rkmt » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:51 am

bruins44 wrote:The Geffre sisters moved to Hankinson... they played Oak Grove last night, I heard they are living at their lake home

Thanks for the info.  I see they combined for 16 points in an 11-pt win.  I'm sure that helps Hankinson, especially depthwise. 
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:49 pm

Watched a few girls bb games.  North got pounded twice.  They may be in for a long season though they lost to Bismarck and Century - two of the state's best.  I had expected more from North. Bismarck looks really good.  South lost twice.  They seem to have run out of gas both games.  South has some of the biggest and strongest posts in the EDC but can they run the court for any length of time?  You can NEVER count South out.  Teams are trying to get used to the 18 minute halves.  Depth may be more of a factor this year.  Shanley looked promising.   They had six players that scored between 7 and 13 points in their first game.  Crookston is next for Shanley this Thursday.  Wouldn't be surprised with any score with this game.  Shanley has a chance to prove themselves.  Coach Jacobson is working the girls real hard and they are a team that definitely will get MUCH better as the season progresses.  With Plecity as assistant the big posts have a great coach.  As a whole, the top three teams from the west look head and shoulders better than the east teams.  Devils Lake ran away with their game.  They have fun playing.  Ashley P is a great player - need to see them play again this year to see how I would rank the rest of the team.  DL plays at Shanley before Christmas.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:01 am

EDC wrote:Watched a few girls bb games.  North got pounded twice.  They may be in for a long season though they lost to Bismarck and Century - two of the state's best.  I had expected more from North. Bismarck looks really good.  South lost twice.  They seem to have run out of gas both games.  South has some of the biggest and strongest posts in the EDC but can they run the court for any length of time?  You can NEVER count South out.   Shanley looked promising.   .  As a whole, the top three teams from the west look head and shoulders better than the east teams.  Devils Lake ran away with their game. 

I agree Bismarck-Mandan-Century are the cream of the crop right now in Class A, North getting pounded twice by 46 and 47 pts was not good... South played with Century for a half and their game with Bismarck High was close throughout, so they have potential to be a good team. They need to take care of the ball but that will improve, their guards are young... (soph, frosh and Sr with no varsity experience) South went to Red River last night and beat the Riders by 22 pts a good win on the road.

We will find out about Shanley thursday night, Crookston is GOOD, so if Shanley plays with or beats them they are for real!! 
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shs01240 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:35 am

Shanley lost 57-52 to crookston (#1 minnesota Class 2aa).  They played fairly well the entire game, even if it was from behind.  Some girl from crookston got really hot and buried anything she put up.  Overall a decent showing for the Deacons, is anyone out there willing to accept them as a legitimate threat in the East this year?  also, does anyone know if crookston has played any other ND teams this year?  I'm just looking for a way to gauge SHS's performance before their conference opener.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:33 am

After West Fargo lost to St Mary's I'd give them a bump over them.  Devils Lake has a couple of impressive wins so the Shanley/DL game will be their telling point.  Right now I'd have to give the Edge to DL and then FS but I'd put Shanley at 3rd. 

Crookston hasn't played any ND teams but they beat Moorehead 80-78 in OT and Moorehead just beat FN by 22 last night. 
Last edited by Deuce on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:45 pm

The Shanley girls worked very hard last night.  This is one team that will get much better as the season goes.  They are going through a crash course on how to play basketball.  They haven't had this quality coaching before.  Once the conditioning and coaching kick in they will be tough.  My opinion.

I also see South and Devils Lake as the teams to beat.  The encouraging thing for Shanley last night is that they broke the press - something they haven't done in years.  If South can hit outside shots with their coaching and system and inside strength they can beat anybody in the East.  If teams can't keep up with DL press and fast break they can beat anybody.  Seems to me that Shanley has moved into 3rd in the EDC and I would be surprised if DL blew them out - wouldn't be surprised if Shanley beat them!  Any injury at Shanley will be hard to overcome.

There were coaches from South, WF, Central and NDSU last night at the Shanley game.  Maybe more.

Last edited by EDC on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby MNGBBFan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:18 am

[font=courier new]FYI.....   That "some girl"  that "got hot"  is Sydney Epema who holds the school record for most 3's made in a season (62 last year as a sophomore).  The main thing is that if she is not hitting, then Kamille Whalin, or Molly Simmons, or Brea Aamoth, or Macy Hanson can and will.  Crookston has GFRR, and does not play any other North Dakota teams on their schedule.   They do play a very tough, competitive schedule that includes 4 teams that are ranked in the top 10 in Minnesota from 1A-4A.  I thought Shanley played a good game on Thursday night but Crookston did not play their best.:)[/font] 
MNGBBFan

Postby EDC » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:30 pm

Crookston should feel fortunate that they played Shanley so early in Shanley's season.  Shanley dominated GFC in every phase with five players scoring nine or more points.  The same threes that weren't going in against Crookston were going in at GF.  They were the same open shots.  Things are falling into place.  Start with a tough defense.   More intensity than ever before.  Scoring being spread amongst seven players.  Schuler showed what type of player she is - one of the best seniors in the EDC.  6ft 1in Carew only had three shots against GFC - had 19 points against Crookson.  Twin guards are doing their part.  The ball is being passed around.  Fastbreaking with the the posts getting down the court fast. 

Devils Lake is at Shanley on Tuesday.  Shanley proved they can play with a good quick pressing Crookston team.  DL is very similiar with a little more height.  Should be a good game.  Come and watch.  My prediction??  Real tough to know.  I think Shanley will win by a little.  It is hard for Shanley to be very confident because they haven't won much lately.

Anybody have any predictions
Last edited by EDC on Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:13 pm

DL going away
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bruins44 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:57 pm

Baller wrote:DL going away

it would not surprise me if Shanley beats Devils Lake on Tuesday, Shanley is much improved over last year!! they would have never beaten a GF team in Grand Forks by 20 or more last year. Coach Jacobson has them going in the right direction.  If they can handle Privatsky I really think Shanley will win this game. They have a big front line that DL doesnt and their guard play is much improved.  DL will have to play great to win in Fargo.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:03 pm

Shanley beats DL 64-61.  The story will be that Shanley had a 20 point lead in the 2nd half and hung on.  Schuler got into foul trouble and DL took advantage.  Shanley looked like a top 5 state team the first 25 minutes of the game.  They need to learn how to play with a lead.  Give DL credit.  All of DL's shots were falling at the end including a four point play that Schuler fouled out on.  Shanley made 7 of 8 free throws to keep the lead at the end.  Shanley plays West Fargo Thursday for the EDC lead.  Who would have thunk it??  I guess I did!!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:50 am

Congrats to Shanley on a big win.  I thought it would take a year but it looks like they're putting it together. 
Last edited by Deuce on Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BisonFan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:40 am

Very impressed with Shanley's performance last night as well. Huge turnaround from last season which was pitiful.  The new coaches are getting the best from these girls it seems and they are responding.  Schuler is a huge bonus from last year but it seems that the twin guards are shooting more and having confidence. The tall 6' are playing well but would like to see them more physical.  They seem alittle carefree with the ball and need to be stronger.  They must have 3 inches on every girl!  All in all, a win is a win.  Best of luck this season..
I like your style...
BisonFan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Baller » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:54 am

I am very impressed with the twins confidence this year and the posts catch the ball so well.  Jacobson and Plecity are two very good coaches and to turn a team around in just a few games is definately impressive.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Trickey7 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:25 am

I was at the game yesterday vs. Devils Lake, very impressive win for the Deacons.  They had a 10 pt halftime lead and built that to 21 before DL climbed back into it.  Foul trouble for both teams slowed down the pace a little more for the Deacons in the second half.  DL looked pretty one dimensional for most of the game until they started the comeback. 

The Deacons are the team to beat from the east!
Trickey7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EDC » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:36 pm

[font=Times New Roman]Schuler is gold if she can stay healthy (bad knee).  Jackson is working hard.  The guards have been able to dribble the ball through a full court man to man press.  I don’t think Shanley has faced a zone trapping defense yet.  South always killed Shanley on that.  South changes their press and Shanley never adjusted in prior year.  Am confident Shanley will adjust and break any press this year.  The Bowars (twins) are playing much improved this year.  Showing confidence.  Carew and Paulson are working hard (everybody is taking pride in defense).  Do not underestimate how much Jacobson and Plecity have done already and they have just started.  The coaches are happy with the progress so far.  Shanley is going for a ride!!  No let down against WF tomorrow.[/font]
Last edited by EDC on Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Trickey7 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:00 am

I couldn't agree more with your assesment EDC.  I think her name was Jackson, she is the first guard off the bench which gives them 4 to break any press.  The Bauer twins and Schuler could break the press fairly easy off the dribble and Jackson is a great ball handler also for them.  I was so impressed with the girls inside and their passing ability.  I called the DL win and would be surprised if this one is close vs. WF.  I am looking forward to seeing the Bruins play the Deacons
Trickey7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby shs01240 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:16 pm

the only bad thing i can say about shs is that they have yet to carry their first half dominance into the second half.  Luckily they were beating central so badly it didn't matter, also they almost lost to Devils lake when they had a 20 point lead at one point.  that fact is the only thing that has me nervous about WF, but if the Deacs can keep the momentum up for a whole game..... it could be a lopsided victory for west fargo.  When shanley gets hot teams need to pick their poison: Three balls from the 4 guards, or a battle inside with the three trees.  should be a great game thursday!!
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Trickey7 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:30 am

It looked like a good performance from Shanley.  They got out to another fast start 16-1 but couldn't pull away.  It will be interesting to see if they can start pulling away from teams as the season progresses.  They definately show their dominance at times but they will need to sustain it for longer periods as the season marches on.  They will have an easy chance to learn how to pull away from teams vs. Breckenridge and Valley City.
Trickey7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby midnight27 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:40 am

Shanley is ok for ND girls basketball, they would have a tough time competing with those good Minnesota girls teams in the area.  Crookston played about as bad as they can I heard when they played Shanley, they would beat them by 25 if they played again.  Moorhead would smoke them by 20 too. shanley is alright, but plaese its ND girls Basketball
midnight27

Postby bruins44 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:47 pm

midnight27 wrote:Shanley is ok for ND girls basketball, they would have a tough time competing with those good Minnesota girls teams in the area.  Crookston played about as bad as they can I heard when they played Shanley, they would beat them by 25 if they played again.  Moorhead would smoke them by 20 too. shanley is alright, but plaese its ND girls Basketball

midnight27 Are you on something!  Mandan would kill both Crookston and Moorhead!!  last year Bismarck Century and Bismarck High went to Moorhead and blew the Spuds out of the water!! both winning by over 20 against a Moorhead team that won 20 games... I would put the good ND Class A teams against any team from Northern Minnesota any day!!

Maybe Crookston played poorly at Shanley  because Shanley made them play that way??   If you like watching a team win 30 - 22 like most of Hawleys games I guess you like watching minnesota girls bball... with the shot clock in ND class A our game is much more enjoyable to watch.... enough said!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:45 pm

midnight27 wrote:Shanley is ok for ND girls basketball, they would have a tough time competing with those good Minnesota girls teams in the area.  Crookston played about as bad as they can I heard when they played Shanley, they would beat them by 25 if they played again.  Moorhead would smoke them by 20 too. shanley is alright, but plaese its ND girls Basketball

I'm guessing you've never heard of Bismarck Century or Mandan?
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Stromer » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:47 pm

Wow!  Imagine ND girls basketball being discussed in a ND message board.  Go back across the border, troll.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:57 am

midnight27 wrote:Crookston played about as bad as they can I heard when they played Shanley, they would beat them by 25 if they played again.  Moorhead would smoke them by 20 too.
I wonder who gave you this information?  Please share that with me.  Was it the Crookston coach?  I saw the game.  Sounds like you weren't there so you are very bold in what you say with your predictions!  It sounds like you have never seen Shanley play.  Please tell me what Crookston would do differently if they played again.  Which part of their game did they play so bad that they normally do better?  I will resist putting one team down to raise the other but the facts are: 1) it was Crookston's 4th game and Shanley's 2nd  2) Shanley missed many open shots and Crookston didn't have open shots to miss - Shanleys defense was better or at least equal  3) confidence - Crookston has it and rightfully so with their success - Shanley didn't but is gaining confidence with the success they are having  4) new coach at Shanley with a new system - Shanley hasn't put in most of their offense yet and I would assume Crookston has been running their offense for years.  Shanley has a lot more upside then Crookston.  5) Height - Shanley has it and Crookston doesn't.  Yea brag about not needing height to win but I think you would take it if you had it!  Shanley not only has height but very athletic height that will only get better as they are taught the game.  All in all, impossible to tell who would win a rematch but we all know it won't happen.  Midnight27 can say what he wants but please try to be respectful and provide some basis for your thoughts!
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:57 am

I would love to see Mandan or Century go up against Crookston
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Girls