Shanley High

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby demonfan74 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:35 pm

cdub1 wrote:
the_real_deal wrote:How'd that South vs. Moorhead game go last week? I didnt catch the score, jk. That proves the Minnesota girls teams are superior with all the talent they have in the NW part of the state.  Isn't Crookston pretty good too, with that player being recuited big-time D-1?

honestly stop talking on this board nobody on here cares about minnesota girls but you and beating south proves nothing mandan and century then you can talk

Yes I agree.  Mandan never played them last year but I would venture to guess they would blow them out just as century did.  Kielpinski is going to New Mexico; Feickert went to Kansas.  Kimbrough and bagaason elite players from NW MN went to UND.  Well 5 ND players have been recruited in the last three classes to go there.  MN may have more players going to more "big-time D-1" schools, but that should be expected with MN's population.  One more thing.  Hopkins has been the #1 team in 4A for several years.  I believe I heard century beat them this summer in the championship game at the U of M camp.  Worthy note, I think.   
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:19 pm

Thought I would spice it up a little here.  Seems like there was some interest in Mandan playing out of state teams over Christmas.  Speaking for myself, I am also interested in how ND teams compare to Minnesota teams.  ND teams consist of more than Century and Mandan - with all due respect to those two great teams.  Those of us in the East compete with Moorhead and other MN schools.  The schools get up for those games and me being from ND would love it if ND teams always beat Moorhead and the other MN schools.  It is part of the fun giving each other grief. The truth of the matter is that there are a lot more good MN teams than ND teams - especially this year in the East.  Moorhead did beat South by a lot.  Shanley plays South tomorrow and the game should be much closer.

By the way, I for one am not positive the ND championship game will come down to Mandan and Century.  Teams do have bad nights.  I am guessing Bismarck still thinks they have a chance against both.  Devils Lake, Shanley (If they stay healthy) and South might not win but aren't scared either.  Shanley had Century on the ropes at the State tourny a few years back.  It could happen again!:)

Last edited by EDC on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:29 am

I'm not saying an upset is impossible, but Shanley or Devil's Lake will have to have an unbelievable game to beat Mandan or Century.  The west is just that much stronger this year.  Shanley has the talent and the coaching, but they will need to really step it up by the end of the season.  Devil's Lake has the experience and the talent also, but once a team shuts down the fast break they don't have much else.  Not only are Mandan and Century good teams, but they have the intimidation factor on their side and that is huge.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:53 am

shs01240 wrote:i wouldnt be suprised in shanley contends for the state title, they have possibley the best junior class in north dakota and with the addition of dominique schuler (who by the way DOMINATED minnesota hoops) they should seriously take a shot at mandan for the state title, what do you think?

shs01240 wrote this back in November.  Few across the state believed or thought it could even remotely be true.  Hoopsters ranked them 5th in the EDC.  People in the know knew that was a joke.  Shanley is still not a real good team.  Too many sloppy plays, can't keep a big lead (though this group of girls never had big leads before), get a little rattled when pressed (much better then prior years), streaky shooting, not enough depth.  That said, there are times that they are VERY dominating and still are getting better.  Defense is excellent!  Very determined to get better and prove they belong after being beat up for most of their careers.   Schuler is the real deal.  A playmaker.  Scorer and assist leader.  Very unselfish.  All of the players are being pushed hard to play hard EVERY play.  Wasn't there before.  Coach Jacobson for coach of the year hands down.  As of today, beating the best of the West probably wouldn't happen.  I wouldn't bet your life's savings on it not being possible at state tournament time.  I think it makes it more fun that Shanley hasn't played the West teams and won't till a possible match up at the state tournament.
Last edited by EDC on Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:51 pm

Their performance against south showed everything EDC wrote.  Their defense is good, but their offense is not always executed.  The press was not really an issue, but the 1-2-2 defense South put on really got to them a few times.  They need to learn how to move the ball better, catch better (posts) and shoot (guards) when they get tired.  There were some points in the DL, WF, and South games that Shanley looked like they could compete with the best in the state, but at others  there were flashbacks to last years ugliness.  This inconsistancy will improve with time and Shanley definitely has the potential to win a few at the state tournament.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Trickey7 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:54 am

I didn't see a box score but Schuler is definately the real deal.  I saw she had 21 and must have had atleast 7 boards and 7 assists.  The inside play for the Deacons was the worst I have seen in terms of handling the ball (about 4 games I have watched).  EDC wrote they were a little shaky vs. the press, I didn't see one turnover in  the backcourt.  They definately doing their part in the East, but they still have to beat DL on the road. 

As far as competing with the West.  Minot nearly beat Bismarck Centry if it wasn't for a last second shot.  Minot is a very poor team based on results.  Saying Shanley can't compete with the West is ridiculous.  Shanley continues to improve and have only lost the one game.  They haven't been able to hold big leads, but they haven't lost any either.  They looked poised down the stretch which I think says alot about their team.
Trickey7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:07 pm

Teams match up completely different against each other and teams have bad nights.  It doesn't make sense to say that because century had a close game with minot, shanley will have a chance against century.  Look at history just between mandan, bismarck, and century.  Century beats bhs by 10, bismarck loses to mandan by 35, century beats mandan.  There are several other scenarios such as this.  When players think  "we can beat them because they got killed by this team who we killed" is a mental weakness.  That kind of mentality was probably taken into the minot game and look what happened; century almost lost.  
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:06 am

Big game at Devil's Lake Friday night.  Any predictions?
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby LG_Shanley2007 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:24 am

i predict a barn-burner...................shanley coming out on top 67-63
LG_Shanley2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby shs01240 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:57 am

Shanley finally steps it up for an entire game and makes a statement:

SHS-63

DL-45
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:49 pm

Devils Lake will prove themselves and win by 10
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bruins44 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:55 pm

South beating Devils Lake on Friday night makes this game huge for the Firebirds! I will put my money on Devils Lake at home... 
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby persha1 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:21 pm

I think Shanley by 10,,,,  :P
persha1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Trickey7 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:57 pm

Shanley by 10, I think you will see coaching and the Deacons proving just how much better they are getting.
Trickey7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EDC » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:01 pm

Shanley beats GF Central by 43 tonight - could have named the score.  DL on Friday then South on Tuesday.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:06 am

Even though they were playing a weak opponent, I was still very impressed with the way Shanley played on Tuesday.  They played the whole game solid which i have'not seen yet.  Also, they ran the ball very well...their passing, especially on fast breaks, is very good.  Defense was good as usual.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:46 pm

What does the DL loss mean?  It would be fair to say some weaknesses were exposed.  Conditioning, team depth, shooting.  We all forget how far the team has come this year but have a lot of work to do.
Last edited by EDC on Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:31 pm

I think that it showed a lot about actually guarding Shuler and then pack in the middle and Shanley is very beatable
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby shs01240 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:36 pm

With the shocking upset of Devils Lake, the Shanley girls have clinched a share of the EDC title. I am sure you all thought i was on crack back when this thread just started, but the SHS girls have yet to truly let me down. There is a long road ahead, including the EDC tournament and hopefully a matchup with the "Legendary" kielpenski lead Mandan. It's still too early to claim the season as a total success....but some additions to my sports IQ would be much appreciated..(':)'....JK
Last edited by shs01240 on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:51 pm

shs01240 wrote:With the shocking upset of Devils Lake, the Shanley girls have clinched a share of the EDC title. I am sure you all thought i was on crack back when this thread just started, but the SHS girls have yet to truly let me down. There is a long road ahead, including the EDC tournament and hopefully a matchup with the "Legendary" kielpenski lead Mandan. It's still too early to claim the season as a total success....but some additions to my sports IQ would be much appreciated..(':)'....JK

good call shs...not many people saw it coming
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby ghetto*revival » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:24 am

wow he is a genius i would have never thought that shanley would go as far as they have this is an outstanding group of girls and i cant wait for the "david vs. goliath" match up with shanley and mandan
ghetto*revival

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:31 am

They've sure proved me wrong.  I thought they'd be a year away with DL, Fargo South and West Fargo having too much for them to shoot to the fore front.  West Fargo kinda fell off the map early but it sounds like they're starting to make some noise.  Are the 4 spots a lock at this point or is there going to be any surprises in the EDC?
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:59 am

Deuce wrote:They've sure proved me wrong.  I thought they'd be a year away with DL, Fargo South and West Fargo having too much for them to shoot to the fore front.  West Fargo kinda fell off the map early but it sounds like they're starting to make some noise.  Are the 4 spots a lock at this point or is there going to be any surprises in the EDC?

I think it will be shanley, DL and south in the first three and WF and RR will battle for the 4th spot.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby kgmvp8807 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:21 am

props to shs for predicting their success. who wouldve thought? anyway how does everyone think the shs girls can do at state. mandan seems pretty unbeatable, but i think the deacons would make a game of it with the braves if it came to that
kgmvp8807

Postby demonfan74 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:54 am

I don't think it would be a game at all.  Mandan is a team that you have to play more than once a year to learn from your mistakes.  They come out of the gates at full force and cause so many turnovers.  There would be a timeout called by the shanley coach in the first 45 seconds of the game just to settle his players down.  If that matchup happens, Shanley will get blown out of the water. 
demonfan74
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls