Shanley High

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Shanley High

Postby HitManHoops » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:46 pm

EDC wrote:
the_real_deal wrote:I have heard from some sources close to the Shanley program that things aren't looking good this year. It could be a long year for Shanley. I would be suprised if they have a winning record this year.

You must be surprised? But hey this is all in fun.

Devils Lake next then West Fargo is coming up and I expect at least the same point differential as the South/WF game.

I meant "yikes" by only 4 players scored for shanley at crookston.
HitManHoops

Postby bruins44 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:34 am

Carl08 wrote:Jacobson has once again proved everyone wrong...right now I put Shanley at the top of the EDC

Proved everybody wrong?? Shanley was picked by almost everbody to win or be at the top of the EDC.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DeuceTrey » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:24 pm

DL played a 1-3-1 zone against them the other night and kept the game close the entire time. Shanley looked shaky out on the perimeter and DL shut down their inside game with sometimes up to 4 girls protecting the post. I would be surprised if other teams don't use this strategy as well, and if Shanley can't develop an outside shooter, they might miss their train ride to State.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EDC » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:57 am

Give DL credit. In many aspects DL outplayed and outworked and pushed around Shanley. DL has a lot of good talent coming up. Shanley will be OK though and hopefully will be better because of this game. Gotta earn wins.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EastGuruWannabe » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:26 am

What the heck is up with the polls? Shanley jumps ahead of South. I realize Shanley is 4-0, but with narrow wins over crookston without whalin, and devils lake (1-3) how does that happen? South is 3-1 with their only loss at #1 bismarck, and has wins over gfrr and wf, both who were ranked when the bruins played them. I'm not saying shanley won't turn out to be the best team in the league, but it seems weird they would make that jump under those circumstances. it should be fun to watch when the deacons play the bruins!
EastGuruWannabe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Knight55 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:35 am

EastGuruWannabe wrote:What the heck is up with the polls? Shanley jumps ahead of South. I realize Shanley is 4-0, but with narrow wins over crookston without whalin, and devils lake (1-3) how does that happen? South is 3-1 with their only loss at #1 bismarck, and has wins over gfrr and wf, both who were ranked when the bruins played them. I'm not saying shanley won't turn out to be the best team in the league, but it seems weird they would make that jump under those circumstances. it should be fun to watch when the deacons play the bruins!

A win is a win...it doesn't matter how you get the job done as long as the job gets done. Against DL they just had an off night shooting. Jackson went 3-23, that won't happen again. Once the shooting gets back on track watch out.
Knight55
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Eminence » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:38 am

EastGuruWannabe wrote:What the heck is up with the polls? Shanley jumps ahead of South. I realize Shanley is 4-0, but with narrow wins over crookston without whalin, and devils lake (1-3) how does that happen? South is 3-1 with their only loss at #1 bismarck, and has wins over gfrr and wf, both who were ranked when the bruins played them. I'm not saying shanley won't turn out to be the best team in the league, but it seems weird they would make that jump under those circumstances. it should be fun to watch when the deacons play the bruins!

Polls don't mean a whole lot this early in the season. Last year Century took an early lead in the poll because they beat Mandan at home. Century was number one and then lost all their games to BHS and Mandan from that point on. I doesnt' mean a whole lot and it very seldom holds true.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:40 am

I was surprised by Shanley's scores with Crookston and DL. I thought Shanley would have beaten Crookston by more, especially without Whalin. With Whalin I would have put the game 5-10 points either way with and without her I'd have taken Shanley by 10 -15. Also I thought they'd pound DL without Privatsky. I think Shanley and BHS will see a lot of zones until they can knock teams out of the zone from the outside. Simply because not many teams can attempt to match them in the paint.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby the_real_deal » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:13 am

Shanley is a good team, well coached and hard nosed. After watching Crookston and Moorhead last night, I have to beleive Shanley would've been lucky to stay within 15-20 against Crookston if Wahlin was playing. She scored 23 points in the first half and 30 for the game, but she is much more valuable to the team than just her scoring, her defense, passing, and all around game is what makes Crookston go. Everyone on the team becomes so much better with her on the court. She is going to have a great college career at Iowa. Best of luck to Shanley the rest of the year.
the_real_deal

Postby EDC » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:56 am

the_real_deal wrote:Shanley is a good team, well coached and hard nosed. After watching Crookston and Moorhead last night, I have to beleive Shanley would've been lucky to stay within 15-20 against Crookston if Wahlin was playing. She scored 23 points in the first half and 30 for the game, but she is much more valuable to the team than just her scoring, her defense, passing, and all around game is what makes Crookston go. Everyone on the team becomes so much better with her on the court. She is going to have a great college career at Iowa. Best of luck to Shanley the rest of the year.

Crookston just beat Moorhead by six. Shanley plays Moorhead later this year. In the category of take it or leave it, Shanley beat Moorhead this summer in a reffed game by more then ten with all of Moorhead’s players playing. Wahlin only had five points against Shanley last year. Be careful about what you are saying about the other very good players from Crookston by just throwing numbers out there. You are putting down the other players (four with DII offers) by saying they weren't capable of stepping up to the challenge. You are also assuming that Shanley played perfect basketball and aren't capable of playing better. You have your opinion and are free to express. Perhaps you are right. I hope Crookston goes undefeated the rest of the year. It would be great to hear Shanley's name (a North Dakota team) mentioned at the MN state tournament as the only team that beat Crookston.
Last edited by EDC on Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roughrider125 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:17 pm

Shanley beat WF tonight by about 15. The spread would have been much bigger however the Deacons pulled their starters and put a very young bunch on the court and WF kept in their starters. The first half was ugly both ways with a lot of turnovers, but the Deacons pulled away in the second half and in doing so looked like a very good team. Right now, I'd have to say Shanley's main issue is staying consistent, they have the talent and the coaching they just have to put the two together and it will start to click as the season goes on.
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:27 pm

Hankinson with the Geffre girls are ranked third in Class B and undefeated. I wonder every now and then what if they had stayed at Shanley?
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:31 pm

EDC wrote:Hankinson with the Geffre girls are ranked third in Class B and undefeated. I wonder every now and then what if they had stayed at Shanley?

Did they leave because of Metcalf or did the family move? Their older sister was a great player at Shanley but the teams Metcalf had did not live up to their potentials.
dgfsuperfan1

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:15 am

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:
EDC wrote:Hankinson with the Geffre girls are ranked third in Class B and undefeated. I wonder every now and then what if they had stayed at Shanley?

Did they leave because of Metcalf or did the family move? Their older sister was a great player at Shanley but the teams Metcalf had did not live up to their potentials.

Family did not move.......living at their lake house in the Hankinson area.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:58 am

dgfsuperfan1 wrote:

They moved because the family had issues with the way the school handled the situation when they let metcalf go.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Carl08 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:03 am

I know the Geffre girls personally and there are many rumors that are completely untrue about why they left. They had just as much of a problem with Metcalf as the rest of the team and they were excited about playing for Jacobson as was the rest of the team; however, their family made a decision that they would rather live in Hankinson. Yes, they are living at their lake house but their family did move. They were pretty nuetral about the move and they like Hankinson but it had nothing to do with Metcalf leaving. Where you people came up with that is beyond me.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:04 am

Carl08 wrote:I know the Geffre girls personally and there are many rumors that are completely untrue about why they left. They had just as much of a problem with Metcalf as the rest of the team and they were excited about playing for Jacobson as was the rest of the team; however, their family made a decision that they would rather live in Hankinson. Yes, they are living at their lake house but their family did move. They were pretty nuetral about the move and they like Hankinson but it had nothing to do with Metcalf leaving. Where you people came up with that is beyond me.

was told by a geffre
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Carl08 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:07 am

Baller wrote:
Carl08 wrote:I know the Geffre girls personally and there are many rumors that are completely untrue about why they left. They had just as much of a problem with Metcalf as the rest of the team and they were excited about playing for Jacobson as was the rest of the team; however, their family made a decision that they would rather live in Hankinson. Yes, they are living at their lake house but their family did move. They were pretty nuetral about the move and they like Hankinson but it had nothing to do with Metcalf leaving. Where you people came up with that is beyond me.

was told by a geffre

Maybe it was just the girls who didn't like Metcalf...but they told me it was for other reasons that don't need to be brought up...
Last edited by Carl08 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby EDC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:34 pm

I was wondering more so how they would have fit in with the existing Shanley team. How much playing time they would have had. They are run and gun players and maybe Class "B" is a better fit for their playing style.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dgfsuperfan1 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:21 pm

Red River will be in town the 18th to play Shanley. They appear to be two evenly matched teams. Any predictions on the score? What player match ups should we be watching?
dgfsuperfan1

Postby soccer09 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:50 am

red river and shanley evenly matched?? I predict a decisive victory for shanley. Coming off the loss to south, tonight they played in the most poorly officated game i have ever seen. EARLY in the first half shanley had 10+ fouls and wahpeton had.... (dum dum dum....) ZERO! It's easy to try to keep it close when you stick 3 fouls on all 3 of the posts early in the first half....... if this game is officated with any other crew shanley blows em away. Instead we have a situation where they win by 1 frickin point. Jacobson honestly looked like he was living in coach's heck..... the reffing was ridiculous. I'm excited to see the overall foul line in the paper tomorrow..
anyways. After watching shanley play so far, I think the number one step that needs to be taken is integrating their younger talent more efficiently. Some of the younger players seem to want to defer to the upperclassmen too much- shades of not wanting to screw up just so a senior doesnt get mad. If the upperclassmen on this team can really work to build up the young talent, I think they can be extemely tough to play.... as it is right now it looks like the first game against the west at state would be fairly difficult, and unlikely won. Many have noted the spotty outside shooting..... specifically, if one players off the entire team seems to completely break down. They need an energizer on the bench who can come in and instantly affect momentum, instead of letting momentum affect them.
Good luck.
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportfan2007 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:57 pm

soccer09 wrote:red river and shanley evenly matched?? I predict a decisive victory for shanley. Coming off the loss to south, tonight they played in the most poorly officated game i have ever seen. EARLY in the first half shanley had 10+ fouls and wahpeton had.... (dum dum dum....) ZERO! It's easy to try to keep it close when you stick 3 fouls on all 3 of the posts early in the first half....... if this game is officated with any other crew shanley blows em away. Instead we have a situation where they win by 1 frickin point. Jacobson honestly looked like he was living in coach's heck..... the reffing was ridiculous. I'm excited to see the overall foul line in the paper tomorrow..
anyways. After watching shanley play so far, I think the number one step that needs to be taken is integrating their younger talent more efficiently. Some of the younger players seem to want to defer to the upperclassmen too much- shades of not wanting to screw up just so a senior doesnt get mad. If the upperclassmen on this team can really work to build up the young talent, I think they can be extemely tough to play.... as it is right now it looks like the first game against the west at state would be fairly difficult, and unlikely won. Many have noted the spotty outside shooting..... specifically, if one players off the entire team seems to completely break down. They need an energizer on the bench who can come in and instantly affect momentum, instead of letting momentum affect them.
Good luck.

If I may ask, who officiated this game ??
sportfan2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:01 pm

sportfan2007 wrote:
soccer09 wrote:red river and shanley evenly matched?? I predict a decisive victory for shanley. Coming off the loss to south, tonight they played in the most poorly officated game i have ever seen. EARLY in the first half shanley had 10+ fouls and wahpeton had.... (dum dum dum....) ZERO! It's easy to try to keep it close when you stick 3 fouls on all 3 of the posts early in the first half....... if this game is officated with any other crew shanley blows em away. Instead we have a situation where they win by 1 frickin point. Jacobson honestly looked like he was living in coach's heck..... the reffing was ridiculous. I'm excited to see the overall foul line in the paper tomorrow..
Good luck.

If I may ask, who officiated this game ??

I am going to predict that the answer is Sannes....
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bruins44 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Luther??? Paul was at Hankinson doing the boys game vs Casselton.

its still hard to believe that Wahp could stay that close to Shanley?? even with bad refs
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roughriderfan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:36 pm

After watching Red River lose big to Crookston last night I am suprised Shanley beat them. That is very impressive by Shanley, a very good win. I thought RR played ok last night but were no match for Crookston. Can't wait for the RR-Shanley matchup.
roughriderfan

PreviousNext

Return to Girls