Best Players in the State

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Best Players in the State

Postby husker 33 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:42 am

Any thoughts on some of the best players in the state. Offensive and defensive ?
husker 33
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Best Players in the State

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:43 am

I think these 3 are likely Unanimous First Team All State players.

Keisha Engelhardt - Bismarck High School
Sarah Jacobson - Fargo Shanley High School
Cassidy Thorson - West Fargo High School

I think 2 of these 4 are likely the remaining First Team All State players.

Jordyn Jossart - Bismarck Century High School
Lexi Klabo - Fargo Davies High School
Macy Lynch - Bismarck Century High School
Paige Peterson - Jamestown High School

I think 2 of these 4 are likely Second Team All State players.

Jordyn Jossart - Bismarck Century High School
Lexi Klabo - Fargo Davies High School
Macy Lynch - Bismarck Century High School
Paige Peterson - Jamestown High School

I think 3 of these 7 are likely Second Team All State players.

Cassie Askvig - Minot High School
Lachelle Bumgarner - Wahpeton High School
Dierra Diegel - Valley City High School
Maddie Erickson - Fargo South High School
Mckayla Howling Wolf - Mandan High School
Courtney Trolliey - Bismarck High School
Madison Walford - Devil's Lake High School
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:35 am

Waiting for Balla45 to update this now that we are done with the regular season.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Baller wrote:Waiting for Balla45 to update this now that we are done with the regular season.

I would like to know his opinion too. My picks for 1st team so far:

Jacobson (Shanley)
Thorson (WF)
Trolliey (BHS)
Peterson (Jamestown)
Lynch (CHS) or Howling Wolf (Mandan)
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby go maji » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:10 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
Baller wrote:Waiting for Balla45 to update this now that we are done with the regular season.

Jacobson (Shanley)
Thorson (WF)
Trolliey (BHS)
Peterson (Jamestown)

I think Askvig could also be in the conversation. Here are her WDA ranks:

Top 2 or 3 in points
Top 3 in rebounding
Top 4 in fg%
Top 8 in 3pt shooting
#1 in blocked shots

source: WDA website
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:42 pm

go maji wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

Jacobson (Shanley)
Thorson (WF)
Trolliey (BHS)
Peterson (Jamestown)

I think Askvig could also be in the conversation. Here are her WDA ranks:

Top 2 or 3 in points
Top 3 in rebounding
Top 4 in fg%
Top 8 in 3pt shooting
#1 in blocked shots

source: WDA website

I agree that she is definitely in the conversation along Engelhardt from BHS.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:10 am

My list - Alphabetical order.

First Team

Keisha Engelhardt
Sarah Jacobson
Lexi Klabo
Paige Peterson
Cassidy Thorson

Second Team

Cassie Askvig
Dierra Diegel
Jordyn Jossart
Macy Lynch
Courtney Trolliey

Howling Wolf and Walford are my first two players off.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:12 am

@scoobyx2, Trolliey over Engelhardt doesn't make sense to me. Keisha scores more and rebounds more. I think it comes down to her, Peterson, and Thorson for Miss Basketball.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:50 am

balla45 wrote:@scoobyx2, Trolliey over Engelhardt doesn't make sense to me. Keisha scores more and rebounds more. I think it comes down to her, Peterson, and Thorson for Miss Basketball.

If we are discussing statistics, then I will agree with you and would be happy to see her on the list. I was simply going to give Trolliey like Jacobson and Thorson the courtesy of being possibly the biggest impact player on very balanced teams. Statistically, no one really standouts across the board in both the EDC and WDA, and the competition throughout the state has been very sporadic.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:00 am

That's fair. She is a pretty tough match up. Thought Askvig outplayed her in the head to head game I watched. Didn't see the second one though.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:51 pm

I don't expect 2 Century players on the list. Not exactly sure which one I would go with, but since no one really dominated Class A, I would guess they would go with another EDC player.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:42 pm

The way I look at it, Century averages a 22 point win. Lynch and Jossart sit a significant amount of time every game. If you throw either of them on to a team like a Mandan, Jamestown, Minot, etc., where they are in a lot of close games and get to play 30 minutes a night, and get 18 shots a game, they would both have some pretty crazy statistics.

As an example, I love Cassie Askvig as a player, but it is difficult for me to say she should be on an All State team over either of them when she averages a 28.5 point loss against those two.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:43 pm

I really do think all the players that have been mentioned are noteworthy, and I definitely can't go toe-to-toe with you on statistics, but I am willing to try to get into a discussion on this topic. The top teams are extremely balanced, and as you have pointed out, the point discrepancies have been pretty wide. This is possibly a good season where voters can give recognition to players from several teams. Devils Lake, Wahpeton, South, Mandan, etc. have a player statistically whose name could be listed before any one team lists 2.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:55 pm

I love this discussion. Usually no one says anything so this is fun.

I don't think I would change my First Team group at all. It just just tough with some of these. I try to think how a player would do if the situation got changed. As an example, if Jordyn Jossart, Macy Lynch, McKayla Howling Wolf, were to switch places with a Maddy Erickson or a Lachelle Bumgarner, would that improve their team?

My other thing I look at a lot is head to head.

The problem this year seems to be that soooo many players have great statistics, but I don't think that many teams truly have a shot at winning. My thing with Macy or Jordyn would be this. Say they switch places with Sarah Jacobson and are playing for Shanley, or with Cass Thorson for West Fargo, would either team have much change in success? I think Sarah is kind of the mark that other guards should be measured against.

I'm kind of rambling here. This is a tough one. I like how Erickson plays a lot. I like McKayla Howling Wolf more as a person than as a player. I don't think she is an all stater but she has to be close.

A good point that a parent who I respect brings up would be this though, using Jossart and Lynch, but they both shoot around 45% from the field and only get 10-12 shots a night. Take one of the two off of Century and they might have their percentage go to 40, but they would not be shooting 18-20 shots a night so their scoring numbers would see a big jump.

My other thing with this, and not to be biased or whatever, but I think Century would beat South or Wahpeton by 30+ points, and I think Jossart and Lynch would be a big part of that.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:02 pm

I try to get out and watch as many players as possible.

With that first team group, everyone of them have had a performance where I have just went wow. Klabo would have been the one I was most iffy on, as they had a bad loss to Valley City, but I personally watched her absolutely take over a game against West Fargo, and I was just like "wow".

Askvig has had a lot of similar games and she would be my first one out on the first team. She had a 21 point half against Bismarck High where I was sitting here thinking, she is definitely D1. Then she goes for a 26 against Paige Peterson's Jamestown and a 7 trey effort against Mandan. Klabo had that same effect of watching in person and thinking, wow, she is definitely D1. Peterson is going to Augustana and has been dominant night in and night out, so hard to vote against her. Sarah could be a high major when all is said and done, so I think she is pretty unquestionable. Engelhardt is an NAIA/JuCo/D2 player, but it is so hard to argue production. She is not as "talented" as the others, but she is just as effective in ND basketball and she has been pretty dominant with her team only having the 1 loss to Century. With Thorson, she is a big guard on a very good team who does a little bit of everything, but i was most impressed with how well she took over after Moton went down, and her team just continues to roll.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby go maji » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:23 pm

balla45 wrote:The way I look at it, Century averages a 22 point win. Lynch and Jossart sit a significant amount of time every game. If you throw either of them on to a team like a Mandan, Jamestown, Minot, etc., where they are in a lot of close games and get to play 30 minutes a night, and get 18 shots a game, they would both have some pretty crazy statistics.

As an example, I love Cassie Askvig as a player, but it is difficult for me to say she should be on an All State team over either of them when she averages a 28.5 point loss against those two.

1st of all, Minot never plays well against Century. And me being a Minot fan, I knew that there was almost no chance it was going to be a close game. Either of them. Those were there only blowouts of the season. But when they play Bismarck High it's a different tory. All the way back in game in game 2 (1 for Bismarck), Askvig was basically unguardable in the first half one on on, and the game was even tied at halftime. Askvig started to get double and triple teamed, in the second half, and that's when they started to fall apart. Bismarck won by 14. Askvig ended with 22 points.

In their second matchup, it was much of the same of a close one. Bismarck won by 5. Akvig finished with 18.

She outscored Trolliey in Both matchups, and outscored Englehardt in the first meeting.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:14 pm

1st off, I LOVE Askvig's game. Have been a fan since she was in junior high. One of my favorites. Just hard for me to have her over Engelhardt when Engelhardt's team has been #1 for the majority of the season. I would have her over Trolliey, but I think Trolliey is also an All State player.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:36 am

When it comes to picking the top elite players in the state in Class A, I think it comes down to how they do in big games against other top players. go maji has made a great case for Askvig and I will bump her up to my 1st team list. In both BHS-CHS matchups key players on both teams simply fell apart in the final minutes with mistakes that maybe a freshman would make. For Century, the strongest part of their team is the fact that their post players are relatively fast which makes up for the large number of turnovers caused by their ball handling. But because I am not very familiar with all the EDC teams, I will put 2 on the list for CHS. BHS is simply well balanced and the #1 team in the state, and could get 2 on the list for that reason, but Hilzendeger has been a huge factor for them with almost 5 steals a game and has become a strong 3pt shooter but her overall scoring stat is limiting her in the discussion. Again, I would not be shocked if any of these players switched places. I am just making a prediction.

1st Team:
Jacobson
Peterson
Thorson
Klabo
Askvig

2nd Team:
Engelhardt
Lynch
Diegel
Trolliey
Jossart
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:27 am

I do not mind your list. I just think Engelhardt has made a strong case for being Miss Basketball. Think she's a unanimous first teamer. I would say that the CHS and BHS players struggle against each other because those 2 teams bring a lot to the table defensively.

Engelhardt averages 21 points, 11 rebounds, and 4.5 assists against Minot.
Engelhardt averages 19 points, 13 rebounds, and 4.0 assists against Jamestown.

WDA Stats
3rd in scoring.
2nd in rebounding.
11th in assists.
7th in steals.
9th in FG%.
4th in FT%.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls