Next Year

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ghetto*revival » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:50 am

i think the shanley girls will be num 1 in edc with carew leading way and paulson chipping in every night those girls will be tough to beat
ghetto*revival

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:17 pm

I'll take...

1. Bismarck High - too much returning to go against them.

2. Mandan - It'll be fun to watch Amundsen out there coaching rather than sitting on the bench during 50 point blowouts. Collins and Finley will hit a lot of 3s and I fully expect the West to be a tight race next year with Mandan, BHS splitting.

3. Jamestown - With Schuchard, Ramlo and Dale, back, they could be at the top of this list if everything goes right, though it might take some excellent guard play to make that happen.

4. Century - they always find something and they have good shooters coming back, I believe.

5. Dickinson - They're not going to be as bad as everyone thinks. Someone on here said they have a below average bench. Well, they return a couple of 5-11 girls and six-footer, all off the bench and all of which saw playing time at the end of the season. They won't have a star player which will hurt them, but they will, overall, be bigger next year.

6. Minot - They have the Feland girl coming back and she has all-state potential. They have Leutzen, but I don't see them getting as far because they lose too much.

7. Belcourt - Davis is good, but Knife is going to Bottineau sounds like so that's why they're down on this list.

8. St. Mary's

9. Williston
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ditka14 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:44 am

Wildcat wrote:I'll take...

1. Bismarck High - too much returning to go against them.

2. Mandan - It'll be fun to watch Amundsen out there coaching rather than sitting on the bench during 50 point blowouts. Collins and Finley will hit a lot of 3s and I fully expect the West to be a tight race next year with Mandan, BHS splitting.

3. Jamestown - With Schuchard, Ramlo and Dale, back, they could be at the top of this list if everything goes right, though it might take some excellent guard play to make that happen.

4. Century - they always find something and they have good shooters coming back, I believe.

5. Dickinson - They're not going to be as bad as everyone thinks. Someone on here said they have a below average bench. Well, they return a couple of 5-11 girls and six-footer, all off the bench and all of which saw playing time at the end of the season. They won't have a star player which will hurt them, but they will, overall, be bigger next year.

6. Minot - They have the Feland girl coming back and she has all-state potential. They have Leutzen, but I don't see them getting as far because they lose too much.

7. Belcourt - Davis is good, but Knife is going to Bottineau sounds like so that's why they're down on this list.

8. St. Mary's

9. Williston

You think other then bismarck its not going to be blow-outs? It's still going to be your usual mandan 30 point wins just the bismarck game will be tighter
its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby BBAngel » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:40 am

Next year will be interesting in the EDC.  Central's sophs won the EDC tourney this year and has alot of talent in their group.  Those girls did not get a chance to play varsity this past year and unfortunately lost out gaining that valuable varsity experience but, they may end up surprising everyone!

They will have guard Haley LaBahn who shoots 65 -70% threes,  fast and plays hard.  Jozy Hansen who is an all around player, as well as great defense from Leah Tunseth and Kari Novotny.  Their post is Megan Hammer 5'11 and can shoot from either the inside or outside and plays great defense.  Her younger sister Courtney is coming to Central next year and has the potential to play at the varsity level as a freshman if given the chance.  Courtney and Haley are going to be two of the fastest guards you will see playing. 

The team maybe young, but they have talent and work hard so they will be fun to watch.

Central's Head Coach Jean Roise resigned her position, if the right coach gets hired they will have the potential to go far!
BBAngel

Postby soccer09 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:27 am

shanley girls will be tough again with great inside presence, need to find guards to make up for seniors lost though..... honestly in East I don't see much of a challenge. . The East/West is hard to predict simply because of no crossover...
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:37 am

soccer09 wrote:shanley girls will be tough again with great inside presence, need to find guards to make up for seniors lost though..... honestly in East I don't see much of a challenge. . The East/West is hard to predict simply because of no crossover...

East:

South has a good core in Haring, Burk, Stroup, and Anstadt.
Shanley has some young kids coming up that will help them out. 

Red River returns girls that got some very good experience last year.

DL won't be as bad as people say.  Privratsky, Gathman, Greening, Steph Metens, and Elshaug.  They may surprise some.

Wahp- Hopefully they find some weapons to go with Braun

WF - young kids got some experience, but they will struggle

North, Central, VC will struggle

West:

BHS - too much to reckon with.  This is now Meier's program that he had been able to work with

Mandan- Will reload

Jamestown- Schugard, Ramlo, Dale

Century - Should have the numbers finish top 4

Minot

Dickinson

Williston, SM, and Belcourt will battle for the bottom especially now that Knife left TM
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndguy256 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:51 pm

West:

1. Bismarck - They have most of the team back, but need to have more confidence if they want to do well next year.

2. Mandan - They have some talent coming back but with their huge losses at the 4 & 5 spots I can't put them at one now. Depending on how the summer goes for them, they could move into first.

3. Everyone else - Right now I just don't know how it will all play out. I don't think that any of the other teams will be able to play with Bismarck and Mandan.

East -

I don't follow the east all that much, but I want to say that I don't think DL will do very good next year. A.P. is an amazing player but with what will likely be a weaker supporting cast, the load will be too heavy for her to carry.
ndguy256
NDPreps Rookie

Postby King James » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:47 am

cdub1 wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:
bawlhogg701 wrote:Mandans girls have Amundson for a coach so they'll be #1 and if Mandans girls had BHS's coach they'd still be #1? I think it makes sense...lol

wrong!  :)  If mandan girls had bhs's coach they wouldn't be #1.  do you mean wda or state?

if mandan girls had the bhs coach they wouldnt be as good as they are i give amundson alot of credit for his great coaching

i totally agree.. amundson should have been coach of the year regardless of the talent he had.. he'll find a way and adjust to being more of a perimeter team bismarck will be good but i cant see them beating mandan
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:23 am

King James wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:
bawlhogg701 wrote:Mandans girls have Amundson for a coach so they'll be #1 and if Mandans girls had BHS's coach they'd still be #1? I think it makes sense...lol

wrong!  :)  If mandan girls had bhs's coach they wouldn't be #1.  do you mean wda or state?

if mandan girls had the bhs coach they wouldnt be as good as they are i give amundson alot of credit for his great coaching

i totally agree.. amundson should have been coach of the year regardless of the talent he had.. he'll find a way and adjust to being more of a perimeter team bismarck will be good but i cant see them beating mandan

i think they could beat mandan easy next year, but they need a better coach.  they did well this year because of the ability of the players--not the coaching. amundson's teams will alwlays do well because he's a good coach. 
just a bb fan

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:29 am

I completely disagree.  Steve Meier always has a quality squad whether or not he has the players.  Maybe that is why he got coach of the year!!  I would much rather play for Meier than Amundson.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bbfollower » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:50 am

Can't say I agree with you there, baller, regarding Amundson versus Meier.  
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:51 am

Baller wrote:I completely disagree.  Steve Meier always has a quality squad whether or not he has the players.  Maybe that is why he got coach of the year!!  I would much rather play for Meier than Amundson.

i would rather not play for either of them for different reasons.  it was talked about earlier the selection of all state teams and all star teams being political, is coach of the year political too?
just a bb fan

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:55 am

just a bb fan wrote:
Baller wrote:I completely disagree.  Steve Meier always has a quality squad whether or not he has the players.  Maybe that is why he got coach of the year!!  I would much rather play for Meier than Amundson.

i would rather not play for either of them for different reasons.  it was talked about earlier the selection of all state teams and all star teams being political, is coach of the year political too?

chosen by your peers....not sure how it can be all that political
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:02 am

Baller wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:

chosen by your peers....not sure how it can be all that political

does that mean you don't think the all star and all state selections are political either?  i wish none of them were political and the all awards were given on good merit.
just a bb fan

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:06 am

bbfollower wrote:Can't say I agree with you there, baller, regarding Amundson versus Meier.  

for his ability as a coach or rather play for amundson than meier?
just a bb fan

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:07 am

I think that anytime you have people picking awards it is subjective.  I wish there was a way to do it objectively, but some people think that different things make a good player.  I know that all-state is selected by the media.  Is it political??  I think that some people get on because of what they have done in the past and not just on this season.  I also think that some players get more attention than others.  As far as Lion's All-Star, the coaches put up the players they want considered and then Amundson and Stuberg get to pick their team.  I think this should be picked by all the coaches the same way that All Conference is chosen, but I guess we can't have a perfect system.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:10 am

just a bb fan wrote:
bbfollower wrote:Can't say I agree with you there, baller, regarding Amundson versus Meier.  

I am not going to lie....I think that Amundson is a good coach and his ability to build a program is unprecedented.  As far as just pulling some players together and coaching them to success, I would go with Meier.  I would much rather PLAY for Meier.  I think he is a stand up guy and cares about more than just winning.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:18 am

Baller wrote:I think that anytime you have people picking awards it is subjective.  I wish there was a way to do it objectively, but some people think that different things make a good player.  I know that all-state is selected by the media.  Is it political??  I think that some people get on because of what they have done in the past and not just on this season.  I also think that some players get more attention than others.  As far as Lion's All-Star, the coaches put up the players they want considered and then Amundson and Stuberg get to pick their team.  I think this should be picked by all the coaches the same way that All Conference is chosen, but I guess we can't have a perfect system.

i guess whether you think something is political depends on your definition.  are there guidelines to follow when selecting those awards?  for example, for the all-state, is it suggested the selectors go by this season's showing and not past years performances?  i agree completely with you that some players get more attention than others.  are those that vote from the media equally represented across the state?  east vs west?  for the all star selections, is there a limit on how many the coaches can put up?  i would think they wouldn't put up those that didn't deserve it, because that could be embarrassing to them, but like you said, people think different things make a good player.  can amundson and stuberg select someone even if their coach didn't pick them?
just a bb fan

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:24 am

just a bb fan wrote:
Baller wrote:I think that anytime you have people picking awards it is subjective.  I wish there was a way to do it objectively, but some people think that different things make a good player.  I know that all-state is selected by the media.  Is it political??  I think that some people get on because of what they have done in the past and not just on this season.  I also think that some players get more attention than others.  As far as Lion's All-Star, the coaches put up the players they want considered and then Amundson and Stuberg get to pick their team.  I think this should be picked by all the coaches the same way that All Conference is chosen, but I guess we can't have a perfect system.

i guess whether you think something is political depends on your definition.  are there guidelines to follow when selecting those awards?  for example, for the all-state, is it suggested the selectors go by this season's showing and not past years performances?  i agree completely with you that some players get more attention than others.  are those that vote from the media equally represented across the state?  east vs west?  for the all star selections, is there a limit on how many the coaches can put up?  i would think they wouldn't put up those that didn't deserve it, because that could be embarrassing to them, but like you said, people think different things make a good player.  can amundson and stuberg select someone even if their coach didn't pick them?

I don't think there is a limit, but I think that most coaches are pretty realistic knowing that there are only 6 +1 alternate chosen from each region.  I doubt that Stuberg and Amundson would need to choose someone not put by the coaches and I know that all the coaches get a chance to talk about it at the coaches' meeting during the State tourny.  I do know that some coaches put up players that they know may not make the team just to let that player know that they were at least in the consideration.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bbfollower » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:31 am

just a bb fan wrote:

Both for his ability to coach and to play for him (Amundson).
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:37 am

Baller wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:

I don't think there is a limit, but I think that most coaches are pretty realistic knowing that there are only 6 +1 alternate chosen from each region.  I doubt that Stuberg and Amundson would need to choose someone not put by the coaches and I know that all the coaches get a chance to talk about it at the coaches' meeting during the State tourny.  I do know that some coaches put up players that they know may not make the team just to let that player know that they were at least in the consideration.

that makes sense. not sure how i feel about that last sentence, though. i don't necessarily agree with coaches when they do things only to make a player feel good.  i guess it depends on the circumstances.  it's good to know it's not only amundson and stuberg that pick the team and that more coaches are involved. thanks for the clarification.
just a bb fan

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:48 am

Baller wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:

I am not going to lie....I think that Amundson is a good coach and his ability to build a program is unprecedented.  As far as just pulling some players together and coaching them to success, I would go with Meier.  I would much rather PLAY for Meier.  I think he is a stand up guy and cares about more than just winning.

i understand what you're saying, but disagree with you in that meier can pull some players together and coach them to success.  if i pulled 8 girls off the street and none of them knew the game and i had to choose between amundson and meier to teach them, my choice would be amundson 10 out of 10 times. i'm not disputing the fact that meier might be a stand up guy, and i'll admit amundson does seem to be a cold person, but i think amundson would be much better in that situation.  that brings up an interesting question -- with that same scenario, who would you other people choose as a coach?
just a bb fan

Postby bbfollower » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:00 pm

just a bb fan wrote:
Baller wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:

i understand what you're saying, but disagree with you in that meier can pull some players together and coach them to success.  if i pulled 8 girls off the street and none of them knew the game and i had to choose between amundson and meier to teach them, my choice would be amundson 10 out of 10 times. i'm not disputing the fact that meier might be a stand up guy, and i'll admit amundson does seem to be a cold person, but i think amundson would be much better in that situation.  that brings up an interesting question -- with that same scenario, who would you other people choose as a coach?

Amundson, definitely.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:01 pm

just a bb fan wrote:
Baller wrote:
just a bb fan wrote:

I'd take Amundson.  You don't get to 11 of the last 12 state championships with a string of talent that happens to come by.  That tells me Mandan is out coaching the competition year in and year out.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby just a bb fan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:19 pm

the tally so far is 3-1 amundson (baller, i put you down for meier)
just a bb fan

PreviousNext

Return to Girls