Congratulations to Joe Hanstad

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Congratulations to Joe Hanstad

Postby bestofdawest » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:06 pm

balla45 wrote:
bestofdawest wrote:
hardcharger wrote:
balla45 wrote:Not even close.

A Bene placito

hahah boom! exactly!....Balla whatever, that is pretty low of you i think... Phillip's senior year was amazing and stats dont lie i dont care what class he is in...and ya joe probably had a better career and will go to a bigger college but dont be saying he shouldve won mr basketball because he broke his wrist and scored over 20 several games

"Not even close" was my response to "a island unto himself." What have I done that is low? I posted that Hanstad was the best senior in the state and should have won Mr. Basketball. I can back up my opinion with some solid reasoning.

He should have won Mr. Basketball because he is the best male senior high school basketball athlete in North Dakota right now. I am not saying he should have won because he broke his wrist, I am saying that he should have won because he is the best. I would consider it much lower that the media felt he had played enough games to be a candidate but not enough games to be voted for, as he was left off of multiple ballots.

"The reason Schanilec won an award that Hanstad deserves? I do not know." that is what is low of you...why dont u go read the Mr. Basketball criteria, i am pretty sure it has something to do with senior year? let me check...yep sure does...and phillip had a better SENIOR year than anyone in nd this year... i still think joe is the best player career wise but as for winning the award.. the right person got it. :o
bestofdawest
NDPreps Starter

Postby T$$ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:16 am

Does anyone have a link to the "criteria"? I am just curious as I have never seen anything. I thought the media just voted for who they thought the best player was?? I would say a lot of players had a better year than the current Mr. BB. For example anyone who played for North Star or CHS. The only argument I could make against Hanstad is team success (or lack of). Does anyone know what Midway-Minto did as a team? I know nothing about them.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby roundem6 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 am

Hardcharger is a troll on these boards.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball18 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:50 am

It has always been my understanding that Mr. Basketball is a career award. Maybe I'm wrong though. That may be wrong then, because Tyrone Terry only played one season for Valley City and he won it in 2000. I do believe Hanstad should have won and is a better player than Phil. Phil is obv. a great player. He put up some impressive stats. But anybody who pays close attention to ND HS BBall knows Hanstad is the best player in the state
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:57 am

bestofdawest wrote:
balla45 wrote:
bestofdawest wrote:
hardcharger wrote:
balla45 wrote:Not even close.

A Bene placito

hahah boom! exactly!....Balla whatever, that is pretty low of you i think... Phillip's senior year was amazing and stats dont lie i dont care what class he is in...and ya joe probably had a better career and will go to a bigger college but dont be saying he shouldve won mr basketball because he broke his wrist and scored over 20 several games

"Not even close" was my response to "a island unto himself." What have I done that is low? I posted that Hanstad was the best senior in the state and should have won Mr. Basketball. I can back up my opinion with some solid reasoning.

He should have won Mr. Basketball because he is the best male senior high school basketball athlete in North Dakota right now. I am not saying he should have won because he broke his wrist, I am saying that he should have won because he is the best. I would consider it much lower that the media felt he had played enough games to be a candidate but not enough games to be voted for, as he was left off of multiple ballots.

"The reason Schanilec won an award that Hanstad deserves? I do not know." that is what is low of you...why dont u go read the Mr. Basketball criteria, i am pretty sure it has something to do with senior year? let me check...yep sure does...and phillip had a better SENIOR year than anyone in nd this year... i still think joe is the best player career wise but as for winning the award.. the right person got it. :o

How is that low? I do not know why Schanilec won an award that Hanstad deserves. I have yet to see criteria spelled out anywhere. Even if it is to go to the best senior, or player who has the best senior year, Joe Hanstad should have won Mr. Basketball.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 am

T$$ wrote:Does anyone have a link to the "criteria"? I am just curious as I have never seen anything. I thought the media just voted for who they thought the best player was?? I would say a lot of players had a better year than the current Mr. BB. For example anyone who played for North Star or CHS. The only argument I could make against Hanstad is team success (or lack of). Does anyone know what Midway-Minto did as a team? I know nothing about them.

They lost in the first round of Regionals to Hatton-Northwood. They only got to Regionals because of Schanilec's buzzer beater (he also scored his 2,000 career point in that game). Basically, Schanilec was the whole team...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
T$$ wrote:Does anyone have a link to the "criteria"? I am just curious as I have never seen anything. I thought the media just voted for who they thought the best player was?? I would say a lot of players had a better year than the current Mr. BB. For example anyone who played for North Star or CHS. The only argument I could make against Hanstad is team success (or lack of). Does anyone know what Midway-Minto did as a team? I know nothing about them.

They lost in the first round of Regionals to Hatton-Northwood. They only got to Regionals because of Schanilec's buzzer beater (he also scored his 2,000 career point in that game). Basically, Schanilec was the whole team...

He wasn't the whole team, he simply could have scored another 200 points this season if he would have wanted to be more selfish.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby bestofdawest » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 pm

winner-within wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

He wasn't the whole team, he simply could have scored another 200 points this season if he would have wanted to be more selfish.

not sure what M-M averaged as a team...but he averaged about half of their points( 31) whenever u have one player scoring half of your points i think u can dubb them "the team"....i realize it takes 5 on the floor to win usually with defense, passing, etc. but phillip was indeed "the team" in a way
bestofdawest
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 am

T$$ wrote:Does anyone have a link to the "criteria"? I am just curious as I have never seen anything.

+1
My bet is the only criteria is "best senior basketball player."
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby lockdown » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 am

Schanilec is an absolute stud in Class B....with that said he is nowhere near the player of Hansted and there is no reason Hansted shouldnt have won Mr. Basketball
i got the spirit of a hustler and the swagger of a college kid
lockdown
NDPreps Starter

Postby devilfanatic23 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Balla45 hit this one right on the nose. It does not make any sense at all how Hanstad did not win this award. If Mr. Basketball wasn't a senior only award, then Hanstad would've taken it sophomore year fairly easily. Granted Malzer was a great player, but what Hanstad was doing that year will go unmatched for quite some time. It's nearly impossible to compare numbers between class A and B, but let's just consider this. Hanstad nearly scored 2000 points in his career, while missing a large chunk of his senior year. Schanilec barely scored 2000 in class B, which is still a great feat, but it's happened 3 times in 3 years so it's not rare in class B.

Hanstad completely dominated class A basketball for 3 years and was an all-conference player his freshman year. Played on two 3rd place teams at state. If he had wanted to, he could've scored many more points than he did. Unselfish player even though I felt he should've shot the ball more than he did many times.

The people who don't think Hanstad deserved this award have never seen him play. I've seen/played against Hanstad, Schultz, and Lindahl, along with watching Schanilec play numerous times this past year. It's not even close. Hanstad is on a completely different level that may not come around for a long time. All in all, congratulations Schanilec, but you were not the most deserving of this award.
devilfanatic23
NDPreps Reserve

Postby T$$ » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Devilfanatic23 had as intelligent of post as I have read. Well said and topic closed.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:57 pm

This is as much as I can find for criteria, and it says nothing about "senior season."

the Associated Press | Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 6:00 pm | (0) Comments

Font Size: Default font size Larger font size FARGO, N.D. (AP) - Dickinson's Lucas Moormann, a 6-foot-9 forward who is headed to Division I North Dakota State on a scholarship, has been named the state's Mr. Basketball.

Moormann, one of five finalists for the award, averaged 20 points and 13 rebounds for the Midgets. He also averaged two blocked shots and two assists.

"He was such a force for us," said Dean Winczewski, Dickinson coach. "He's also a very unselfish player, almost too unselfish at times."

The award is given annually to the state's top senior by the North Dakota Associated Press Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. It was announced Saturday night at the Class B tournament.

"It means a lot," Moormann said. "There were four other great guys (finalists) out there. I know them all. They're all great players."

Moormann, who was earlier voted senior Class A player of the year by coaches, shot 58 percent from the field, including 49 percent from 3-point range.

"He's a versatile player," Winczewski said. "Not only could he play the post, but he could also step out on the perimeter and hit some shots."

Moormann collected double figures in points and rebounds in all but four of Dickinson's 24 games. His season high was 29 points and his season low was 12 points.

Last season as a junior, Moormann averaged 13 points and eight rebounds in helping the Midgets to their first-ever state title.

A player must exemplify basketball ability and sportsmanship to be a finalist. Other criteria may include community involvement and scholastic achievement.
Moormann is a standout student who has volunteered to work at basketball camps and other community programs, Winczewski said. "He's great with kids," the coach said.

Moormann collected nine of 15 first-place votes and 52 points.

Among the other finalists, Dickinson Trinity's Chad Glasser had 40 points, Cavalier's Brady Trenbeath had 16 points, Elgin-New Leipzig's Kyle Iverson had 13 points, and LaMoure's Jake Holen had 10 points.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby digger » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:07 pm

balla45 wrote:This is as much as I can find for criteria, and it says nothing about "senior season."

Carry that to it's logical conclusion. You and I (and many others) think that Hanstad was the best player in ND for the past few seasons. If he had been injured preseason, and missed the entire year, should he have won the Mr Basketball award? How about if he played one game?
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:12 pm

I was all for giving it to Ashley Privratsky in 2008.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:50 pm

balla45 wrote:I was all for giving it to Ashley Privratsky in 2008.

Any true competitor judges him/herself on the court, and the decision is left on the court. Injuries are devastating because you don't get a chance to prove yourself, and fans don't get to cheer you on. But performance is what should be acknowledged.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby digger » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:09 pm

balla45 wrote:I was all for giving it to Ashley Privratsky in 2008.

OK. That's good to know, now I know where you're coming from. Those that voted began to take Hanstad's injury into consideration at some point. I don't know what the tipping point was for them, missing 10%, 20%, 30%, 40% of his team's games? Obviously 50% (I think that's about what he missed?) was too much for a number of voters. I can understand where they are coming from.

I think a player's senior season should play a major role in the award, probably the primary role. Injuries are part of athletics, they have consequences both for individuals and teams. In this instance, Hanstad not winning the Mr Basketball award is a consequence of his injury. He is a great player, had a great high school career, and I'll be pulling for him at Boise St. He should be congratulated on his many accomplishments. I just think we should be careful not to knock Shanilec down a notch to lift Hanstad up.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:43 pm

If the Mr/Ms awards are to be "career" awards, then it is not fair to combine B and A into one award. It is much easier to get on the floor at a younger age at the B level. And, no matter what anyone says, no district in B basketball can compare to the talent and depth of the opposition you face in the EDC or WDA.

We all realize that Long is going to win Ms. Basketball, a real tragedy considering that Farroh averaged not just a double-double, but three boards short of a 20-20 this season in the EDC, a conference that swept the first round and the top four positions at the state tournament. I know Long scored over 3000 points, but I'd like to know what Farroh could have done playing the list of teams that Standing Rock competes for for five years. Her 21 points would easily have been the 29 long put up.

I'm not saying Long isn't deserving of an award. But if we're going to put career implications into consideration, we need to have an "apples to apples" comparison. Playing varsity as a freshman or eighth-grader in District 9 or 10, or any district, isn't that comparison to a 21/17 season in the EDC.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:52 pm

heimer wrote:If the Mr/Ms awards are to be "career" awards, then it is not fair to combine B and A into one award. It is much easier to get on the floor at a younger age at the B level. And, no matter what anyone says, no district in B basketball can compare to the talent and depth of the opposition you face in the EDC or WDA.

We all realize that Long is going to win Ms. Basketball, a real tragedy considering that Farroh averaged not just a double-double, but three boards short of a 20-20 this season in the EDC, a conference that swept the first round and the top four positions at the state tournament. I know Long scored over 3000 points, but I'd like to know what Farroh could have done playing the list of teams that Standing Rock competes for for five years. Her 21 points would easily have been the 29 long put up.

I'm not saying Long isn't deserving of an award. But if we're going to put career implications into consideration, we need to have an "apples to apples" comparison. Playing varsity as a freshman or eighth-grader in District 9 or 10, or any district, isn't that comparison to a 21/17 season in the EDC.

Then you have 3 awards Class A & B, Best Career goes to the best Career players....CAREER AWARD

Mr or MS Basketball...goes to the Player who OPENED the most eyes, not from 10th grade to 12th complete...from December to March their Senior year....and you Call that Award the [color=#FF4000]SENIOR Mr/Ms BASKETBALL!!!!!!![/color]...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby InsideMan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:47 pm

The fact that some of you are trying to actually turn this into a discussion rather than a fact is utterly ridiculous. If Joe played where Phil played he would have averaged a minimum of 50 points and they would have most likely won the game.

Im not trying to take anything away from Phil - he is a nice little player that most likely won't crack a lineup in college. He had a nice little season, he should have been a finalist, but that is as far as this one goes.

I don't think most of you realize the tremendous difference between Class A & B competition. Night and day.

It makes me sick to think that some kid averaging 25pts a game in the middle of nowhere playing against nobody could be considered the best player in the state.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby T$$ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Hey inside man, READ THE THREADS BEFORE YOU POST. Everyone agrees with you but they have a classier way of saying it!!
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:25 pm

InsideMan wrote:The fact that some of you are trying to actually turn this into a discussion rather than a fact is utterly ridiculous. If Joe played where Phil played he would have averaged a minimum of 50 points and they would have most likely won the game.

Im not trying to take anything away from Phil - he is a nice little player that most likely won't crack a lineup in college. He had a nice little season, he should have been a finalist, but that is as far as this one goes.

I don't think most of you realize the tremendous difference between Class A & B competition. Night and day.

It makes me sick to think that some kid averaging 25pts a game in the middle of nowhere playing against nobody could be considered the best player in the state.

I agree with you, but would just like to note, he averaged 31 a game.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:29 am

winner-within wrote:
heimer wrote:If the Mr/Ms awards are to be "career" awards, then it is not fair to combine B and A into one award. It is much easier to get on the floor at a younger age at the B level. And, no matter what anyone says, no district in B basketball can compare to the talent and depth of the opposition you face in the EDC or WDA.

Then you have 3 awards Class A & B, Best Career goes to the best Career players....CAREER AWARD

Mr or MS Basketball...goes to the Player who OPENED the most eyes, not from 10th grade to 12th complete...from December to March their Senior year....and you Call that Award the [color=#FF4000]SENIOR Mr/Ms BASKETBALL!!!!!!![/color]...

how do you know this? ive followed NDHS since the 90's and ive heard that it's a career award, but also that it's just a senior year award. well which is it? i wish this could be cleared up
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball18 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:30 am

InsideMan wrote:The fact that some of you are trying to actually turn this into a discussion rather than a fact is utterly ridiculous. If Joe played where Phil played he would have averaged a minimum of 50 points and they would have most likely won the game.

i dont take players off teams magically with a magic wand.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby Stallng » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Living in ND for the last few years I noticed that people think D1 and D2 athletes are out of this world but, in my hometown and state players who went to major, mid level D1 schools, most were never the "all-stars" or superstars. I watched Mr. Hanstad this year and was very impressed but for someone to score over however much Phillip did is something that the media recognized and awarded him for the hard work. Phillip is talented enough to play at D1's, it seems that ND people always look for the big time players to make it but all you need it a great work ethic, smarts and dependability. Coaches look for talent and potential, i have seen many players in both state tournaments this year and most players needed was to add muscle to get faster and stronger. Talent in this state seems to have high expectations, which is kind of sad because players like Phillip get compared to someone going to Boise State which is a nice school but Phillip would be just as good as Joe is he works at it. Kids just need someone to believe in them not people, Phillip was very deserving as Joe is but thats why we love the game, never know whats going to happen.
Stallng
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Boys