Congratulations to Joe Hanstad

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Congratulations to Joe Hanstad

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:07 am

on being the best player to play high school basketball in North Dakota this century. Very disappointing to see him lose the Mr. Basketball award to a player who is not on the same level as him. North Dakota will not see a player of this caliber for a very long time. I think this truly shows that Mr. Basketball doesn't go to the best senior player in North Dakota. I do not think anyone truly believes that Joe Hanstad was anything other than the best high school player in the state this year.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Re: Congratulations to Joe Hanstad

Postby babyjames236 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am

i completely and totally agree
Left hand, right hand, it doesn’t matter. I’m amphibious.
babyjames236
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:40 am

I also agree with balla45. I am really starting to feel that the most valuable awards are the Sr. Player of the Year awards and that the Mr. BB award is becoming irrelevant.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hardcharger » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I also agree with balla45. I am really starting to feel that the most valuable awards are the Sr. Player of the Year awards and that the Mr. BB award is becoming irrelevant.

congrats to phillip schanilec for a well deserved award, the best man won.
hardcharger
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:46 pm

The best player didn't win. I could probably say the second best player didn't even win. I no longer hold any merit in this award. There is a reason that Joe Hanstad was recruited by high major teams and no one else was. The reason Schanilec won an award that Hanstad deserves? I do not know.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:12 pm

balla45 wrote:The best player didn't win. I could probably say the second best player didn't even win. I no longer hold any merit in this award. There is a reason that Joe Hanstad was recruited by high major teams and no one else was. The reason Schanilec won an award that Hanstad deserves? I do not know.

I have watched almost every Mr. Basketball and Miss Basketball winner since 1985 (maybe missed a few here and there), and feel that any one who wins it deserves respect even though I might not agree with who they picked. I personally know great players who have won this award and some who were nominated and didn't win, and I would never insult them by saying the award is a joke.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:19 pm

I personally know great players who won both awards and one of them that I know with 100% certainty that you also know completely agrees with me.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:27 pm

Balla45 - My understanding is that the Mr. Basketball award and the senior athlete of the year awards (class A and class B) are based only on this season, not on career achievement. Also, the award is not based on "highest potential in college."

Based on that criteria, it's pretty tough to make a case for Joe Hanstad, in my opinion.

Is it your viewpoint that Joe Hanstad had the best senior year in the state, or is your viewpoint that we should change the criteria for these awards?
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:29 pm

I think his senior year is just as impressive as Schanilec. Missing games doesn't make anything he did less impressive. I actually find it amazing that he was able to have over 20 points in three consecutive games after suffering a broken wrist.

I have also thought the criteria should have been changed years ago. The best player should win, regardless of class.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Fair enough. I disagree, but at least you're trying to make the case based on the criteria that is in place. Perhaps Hanstad could have swayed more voters if his team had qualified for the state tournament. Then again, I don't even know when the votes were cast. I do know that voters can't just make up their own rules for the Mr. Basketball award.

The Hanstad scenario can be used to make a pretty strong case for a change in criteria in future years. I would support Mr. Basketball being a career achievement award. But as for this year and this vote based on the rules that we have, I'd go with Schanillec or Lindahl.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby hardcharger » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:54 pm

balla45 wrote:The best player didn't win. I could probably say the second best player didn't even win. I no longer hold any merit in this award. There is a reason that Joe Hanstad was recruited by high major teams and no one else was. The reason Schanilec won an award that Hanstad deserves? I do not know.

well thank goodness that you dont get to vote, i im fairly sure no one cares what you hold in merit
hardcharger
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:56 pm

I am fairly sure some people do.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby hardcharger » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:59 pm

balla45 wrote:I am fairly sure some people do.

a island unto yourself
hardcharger
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Not even close.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby hardcharger » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:05 pm

balla45 wrote:Not even close.

A Bene placito
hardcharger
NDPreps Starter

Postby bestofdawest » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:49 pm

hardcharger wrote:

A Bene placito

hahah boom! exactly!....Balla whatever, that is pretty low of you i think... Phillip's senior year was amazing and stats dont lie i dont care what class he is in...and ya joe probably had a better career and will go to a bigger college but dont be saying he shouldve won mr basketball because he broke his wrist and scored over 20 several games
bestofdawest
NDPreps Starter

Postby T$$ » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:05 pm

I have nothing against the player who won Mr. Basketball, but I feel bad for him as he is not the best player and probably knows it. Mr. Basketball is a career award. Joe Hanstad is the 2nd leading scorer in Class A HISTORY. He would be #1 if not for his injury. In his career he had to deal with really good teams at Mandan and BHS and had great stats with an average supporting cast. If you ask anyone who has played with or against him they would agree.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:10 pm

T$$ wrote:I have nothing against the player who won Mr. Basketball, but I feel bad for him as he is not the best player and probably knows it. Mr. Basketball is a career award. Joe Hanstad is the 2nd leading scorer in Class A HISTORY. He would be #1 if not for his injury. In his career he had to deal with really good teams at Mandan and BHS and had great stats with an average supporting cast. If you ask anyone who has played with or against him they would agree.

Mr. Basketball is not a career award, based on the criteria that is in place. It is a senior year award.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby hardcharger » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm

T$$ wrote:I have nothing against the player who won Mr. Basketball, but I feel bad for him as he is not the best player and probably knows it. Mr. Basketball is a career award. Joe Hanstad is the 2nd leading scorer in Class A HISTORY. He would be #1 if not for his injury. In his career he had to deal with really good teams at Mandan and BHS and had great stats with an average supporting cast. If you ask anyone who has played with or against him they would agree.

i have only one reply for this comment. <deleted>
Last edited by spoilersports on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: vulgar language
hardcharger
NDPreps Starter

Postby T$$ » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:

Mr. Basketball is not a career award, based on the criteria that is in place. It is a senior year award.

In my opinion it goes to the best Senior Player- Hanstad is the best Senior player, regardless of his injury. He also had the best career of any Senior. He had phenominal stats this year. Are people on this topic just messing around? If you saw him play you wouldn't argue as this is kind of a "no-brainer"
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby hardcharger » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:46 pm

T$$ wrote:
Bisonguy06 wrote:

In my opinion it goes to the best Senior Player- Hanstad is the best Senior player, regardless of his injury. He also had the best career of any Senior. He had phenominal stats this year. Are people on this topic just messing around? If you saw him play you wouldn't argue as this is kind of a "no-brainer"

its very arrogant of you to presume to know what people feel on this subject.
hardcharger
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:07 pm

bestofdawest wrote:
hardcharger wrote:

A Bene placito

hahah boom! exactly!....Balla whatever, that is pretty low of you i think... Phillip's senior year was amazing and stats dont lie i dont care what class he is in...and ya joe probably had a better career and will go to a bigger college but dont be saying he shouldve won mr basketball because he broke his wrist and scored over 20 several games

"Not even close" was my response to "a island unto himself." What have I done that is low? I posted that Hanstad was the best senior in the state and should have won Mr. Basketball. I can back up my opinion with some solid reasoning.

He should have won Mr. Basketball because he is the best male senior high school basketball athlete in North Dakota right now. I am not saying he should have won because he broke his wrist, I am saying that he should have won because he is the best. I would consider it much lower that the media felt he had played enough games to be a candidate but not enough games to be voted for, as he was left off of multiple ballots.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby secondwind » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:14 pm

First off, Balla45 has as much credibility on this site than anyone that posts. Do not go after him as he knows the game and knows talent.

Hardcharger, we are all getting tired of your unintelligent posts. Ripping classmate Savageau and any other former or present North player you can or anyone else you see fit. You were a teammate of these guys(mediocre post player at that) who obviously has some jealousy & personnel problems. Your IQ appears to sink lower everytime you post.

Hanstad is the best player in ND, period. Mr. Basketball should go to best player in ND, period. Shanilec is a very good player, agreed. He will make a good D III, possibly D II player. Hanstad is at a different level. Mr. Basketball should simply go to the best player in the state,period. Remove all this other silly stuff that is being brought up. No one on the committee can honestly say that Phillip is better than Joe. If they can then they do not know BB talent well enough.

I 100 % agree with Ball45. The ND Mr. Basketball award has lost credibility if the voters can honestly say he is not Mr. Basketball. Should have been last yr also if juniors were eligible.
secondwind
NDPreps Starter

Postby powercat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:39 pm

First off i think Hanstad should of won

But you guys act like this has never happened in a sport. Im pretty sure senior athlete of the year, Mr. Basketball, Miss Basketball, Mr. Hockey (i think thats a thing) doesn't always go to the best athlete. Take cross country a few years ago. Brown Otter won every single XC race that year but one, and did not win Senior athlete of the year. There is other intangibles taken into account. To say that some one who wins Mr. Basketball is undeserving is a Joke ...they wouldn't be on the ballot if they were not deserving in some way. If you go through every sport for every year and every senior athlete, i bet more than half the time the better athlete (whether it be numbers, playing, or placing in races wise) does not win
powercat
NDPreps Starter

Postby hardcharger » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:04 pm

secondwind wrote:First off, Balla45 has as much credibility on this site than anyone that posts. Do not go after him as he knows the game and knows talent.

Hardcharger, we are all getting tired of your unintelligent posts. Ripping classmate Savageau and any other former or present North player you can or anyone else you see fit. You were a teammate of these guys(mediocre post player at that) who obviously has some jealousy & personnel problems. Your IQ appears to sink lower everytime you post.

Hanstad is the best player in ND, period. Mr. Basketball should go to best player in ND, period. Shanilec is a very good player, agreed. He will make a good D III, possibly D II player. Hanstad is at a different level. Mr. Basketball should simply go to the best player in the state,period. Remove all this other silly stuff that is being brought up. No one on the committee can honestly say that Phillip is better than Joe. If they can then they do not know BB talent well enough.

I 100 % agree with Ball45. The ND Mr. Basketball award has lost credibility if the voters can honestly say he is not Mr. Basketball. Should have been last yr also if juniors were eligible.

never played ball with the guy just watched him played, and you seem to be the only tired
hardcharger
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys