All State

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

All State

Postby groundblind » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:38 pm

As the regular season winds down, what is everyone's predictions for all state? I don't think Hanstad has enough games to put him in here. I didn't go by position, but by who I thought were the best players for 1st and 2nd teams. I don't know the west that well, so I could be way off there.

1st Team
Werner
Ledger
Schultz
Jacobsen
Coyle

2nd Team
Okland
Rodenbiker
Steinwand
Moody
Arvidson

Close, but on terrible teams do I'm not sure where to put them:
Gunville
Erickstad
groundblind
NDPreps Reserve

Re: All State

Postby T$$ » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:22 am

Not a bad start to the list. I don't know enough about the east but would have Farkas on the list. In the west I would have Wentz, Crosby, and Liggins all ahead of Moody. I also think Hanstad will be first team if he comes back and plays in the post season
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby secondwind » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:34 pm

That is absurd if Hanstad cannot be eligible for All State team because he has been injured and hasn't played enough games. What's the difference, he is still best player in state and thus 1st team All-State, regardless.

I would also place GF Red River's Arvidson on 1st team also. Arvidson, I believe is the best looking player in entire EDC, including seniors IMO. Game is very similar to Hanstad's as he has a great intermediate game with terrific jump shot and incredible vertical. He has impressed me more than any player out of the East this season & is most college ready.

1st Team:

Hanstad
Arvidson
Werner
Ledger
Schultz

2nd Team:

Rodenbiker
Jacobson
Coyle
Erickstad
Crosby
secondwind
NDPreps Starter

Postby groundblind » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:03 pm

I don't know the west well enough to comment on Crosby, but I disagree with putting Erickstad on and Okland off. Erickstad's numbers are inflated because every offensive sequence is set up for him to score. I watched their game against South and Erickstad also didn't show any interest in playing defense. For the 32 or so minutes that Okland guarded Erickstad, he had 6 points. His other 17 came in the 8 or so minutes that Okland was on the bench. Stats don't show defense, but I think Okland is easily the best defensive player in the EDC.
groundblind
NDPreps Reserve

Postby T$$ » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Crosby is minots best player but really isn't dominant and in my opinion . I have a hard time leaving Coyle off the first team. He is the best guard in the state.
Last edited by T$$ on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby roundem6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:22 pm

secondwind wrote:That is absurd if Hanstad cannot be eligible for All State team because he has been injured and hasn't played enough games. What's the difference, he is still best player in state and thus 1st team All-State, regardless.

I would also place GF Red River's Arvidson on 1st team also. Arvidson, I believe is the best looking player in entire EDC, including seniors IMO. Game is very similar to Hanstad's as he has a great intermediate game with terrific jump shot and incredible vertical. He has impressed me more than any player out of the East this season & is most college ready.

1st Team:

Hanstad
Arvidson
Werner
Ledger
Schultz

2nd Team:

Rodenbiker
Jacobson
Coyle
Erickstad
Crosby

So Hanstad should get it over another deserving kid simply because he is the "best player in the state?"
Arvidson will be up there next year but right now I have Coyle/Jacobson bumped ahead of him.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby T$$ » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 pm

Hanstad is the best player in the state and would be the ALL TIME leading scorer if not for his injury so I would say that makes him desrving. He may have 6 games left in him this year.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby MoSiouxFan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:21 am

groundblind wrote:I don't know the west well enough to comment on Crosby, but I disagree with putting Erickstad on and Okland off. Erickstad's numbers are inflated because every offensive sequence is set up for him to score. I watched their game against South and Erickstad also didn't show any interest in playing defense. For the 32 or so minutes that Okland guarded Erickstad, he had 6 points. His other 17 came in the 8 or so minutes that Okland was on the bench. Stats don't show defense, but I think Okland is easily the best defensive player in the EDC.

Last night against G. F. Central, Mertens had 23, Snyder had 21, and Erickstad had 19. Sounds like maybe a few offensive sequences were set up for other players. There have been a number of other games where Erickstad has been outscored by one or two of his teammates.
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:46 am

Everything is in order of how I think voting will go. Hanstad and Werner should be unanimous first team all staters.

1st Team

Joe Hanstad - Unquestionably the best player in the state.
Dexter Werner - Best post in the state. Team is very successful. Incredibly numbers.
Justin Ledger - Best player on the best team in the state.
Devin Coyle - Best point guard in the state. On pace to shatter MHS's single season 3 point record.
Nick Schultz - This could be maybe switched up or down, but I like him here.

Second Team

AJ Jacobson - Best prospect in ND this side of Joe Hanstad. Would be first team if Hanstad is out. Rodenbiker being a returning all stater might make voters put Josh over AJ.
Josh Rodenbiker - Best "pure" point guard in the state. Numbers do not show the full court defense he applies and the difficult shots and passes he makes.
Mack Arvidson - Freakish athlete. Very good player. Very solid numbers. Team goes as he goes.
Andrew Okland - South's best player. Solid numbers and a good defender. Has highlights (dunks).
Ben Erickstad - I don't care how you slice it. Leading the EDC in scoring and rebounding means something.

Outside Looking In

Dewayne Liggins - Has played very well in the second half of the season. A good performance in the tournaments will boost him to all state caliber.
Isaiah Steinwand - Solid all around player. Just doesn't scream all state to me when I watch him.
Mac Kroeplin - Being a sophomore makes it harder to get an award. Arvidson is more flashy. I have always been very impressed with Kroeplin's game and his numbers are amazing when one looks at the percentages that he shoots and his assist and steal totals.
Chase Farkas - West Fargo's floor general has been around for years and collected wins.
Tom Fraase - Has been Century's second best player all season long. Championship teams commonly get multiple all staters. He may be one year out.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby LuckyIam » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:25 pm

If dickinson doesnt make the state tournament i cant justify hanstad being all state, its not about what you have done the past three years its about this season.
LuckyIam
NDPreps Reserve

Postby roundem6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:59 pm

LuckyIam wrote:If dickinson doesnt make the state tournament i cant justify hanstad being all state, its not about what you have done the past three years its about this season.

Could not agree more.

I think Maurer's list was very good. Hanstad is very much in question for me.
I don't know enough about the West players to replace them on the lists, but I do think Nick Schultz deserves one of those first team spots.

Just some random thoughts-
Jacobson and Arvidson will be first teamers for sure next year.
Another impressive young player I've seen is #40? for Shanley I think his last name is Strom or something.
Very good shooter and plays good D, I think he will be in the dicussion for possibly 2nd team next year.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:01 am

In Hanstad's favor, he leads the state in scoring by about 6 points per game. He has played in only 8 games to date, but that could end up at 14. He is the best player and was when he played. He did miss the middle of the season, but he did make it back and was solid in his debut playing left handed. He scored enough points to take the state scoring title (180 is minimum, he had 182) and got enough steals to lead the WDA in steals per game. I have a hard time leaving him off.

In response to Roundem6, my projected potential all staters next year:

Dexter Werner, Jaxon Fitterer, Tom Fraase, Danny Fisher, Devin Coyle, Erron Collins, Dustin Adams, Kyle Gerding, Brad Obritsch, Nate Mertens, Andrew Kozlowski, Brady Syverson, AJ Jacobson, Patrick Strom, Sean Norton, Mack Arvidson, Mac Kroeplin, Kory Wolden

I think we get both all state teams from the aforementioned 18.

Werner, Coyle, Jacobson, and Arvidson should all be first team all staters.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:23 pm

I don't see how you can leave the best player in the State off the All State Team. He played enough games and will be back for tournaments. In response to balla 45 Ledger has played well enough to deserve first team.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:07 pm

I have Ledger on my first team list.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:52 pm

I should have read the NEXT YEAR part of your post. My fault. I think Jans could also be first team next year as he has the potential to dominate.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:04 am

Collins is more likely than Janz at this stage. Janz ended up being very good at football, and with baseball already being his main focus, basketball will take a backseat.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla01 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm a little surprised that some of you don't have Arvidson of red river on first team. He's the best player out of the east. Has a very nice looking shot and shoots a good percentage. I'm impressed by his athleticism.

1st team:
Hanstad
Arvidson
Werner
Schultz
Ledger

2nd team:
Coyle
Jacobson
Erickstad
Oakland
Rodenbiker
balla01
NDPreps Rookie

Postby whateverittakes » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:17 pm

balla01 wrote:I'm a little surprised that some of you don't have Arvidson of red river on first team. He's the best player out of the east. Has a very nice looking shot and shoots a good percentage. I'm impressed by his athleticism.

1st team:
Hanstad
Arvidson
Werner
Schultz
Ledger

2nd team:
Coyle
Jacobson
Erickstad
Oakland
Rodenbiker

Oakland . .Come on.
whateverittakes
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla01 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm unsure about my 2nd team i just threw him in there
balla01
NDPreps Rookie

Postby midwest » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Jacobson will be first team for the next two years
Working Hard or Hardly Working
midwest
NDPreps Reserve

Postby T$$ » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:04 pm

Coyle is a first teamer. I agree balla45 that Collins will be in the mix. I think Janz will too. Sometimes in a players senior year things just start to click. I can name countless examples but don't need to. I think Janz falls in this category.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby stixforever » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:18 am

After watching South a few times this year, I don't understand how ronny kazanes name isn't brought up in this conversation. He single handedly got south the win on tuesday in there first round game at red river. his stat line was: 23 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, and 7 steals. and that stat line isnt that far off from the way hes played ever since he became a consistent starter about a month ago. Everytime I watch south, it seems no opponent can ever guard this kid
stixforever
NDPreps Rookie

Postby balla45 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 am

He averages 10 points, 5 assists, 2.7 rebounds, and 2.4 steals, which are very respectable numbers, don't get me wrong, but that is not an all state player. I think he is maybe an all-conference caliber player this season, as I do not believe he is one of the 10, or even 15 best players in the state. I believe he is a senior, so he can't get all state next year as he will be gone.

Just from the EDC I would take Erickstad, Mertens, Schultz, Rodenbiker, Jacobson, Dunn, Okland, Deng, Arvidson, Kroeplin, Farkas, and Schock over him.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:04 pm

1. Schultz
2. Rodenbiker
3. Werner
4. Jacobson
5. Ledger
gobison
NDPreps Starter

Postby stixforever » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Yes, I realize is his overall stats arent that impressive which I guess is all that matters in the end. But I think he is souths most important player along with okland, and if he continues to put up these numbers in tournament play like he has been for the past month I was thinking he may have a legit shot for the 2nd team. But then again I may be wrong
stixforever
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Boys