Bismarck Dominance

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Bismarck Dominance

Postby trigger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:02 am

balla45 wrote:You're not very intelligent. I would love to go more in depth with this but as time goes on I realize that you are not smart enough for me to argue with.

This may have been the most accurate statement of 2010
trigger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby northdakotamom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 am

Don't know why Mark Wald brings up Mandan girls in this posting as I thought this was about BOYS basketball. This "crap" (recruiting, etc.)with Bismarck High will not stop until Miller retires and why should he when he gets all this attention and glory with his cheating ways. It surprises me that his players can respect him knowing all that goes on. I have heard a rumor that some of his players will not be returning to his team next year. Maybe some of the players are finally wiseing up to Miller's antics! It was fun to read the posts from years back showing that he got an apartment for Archembault so he could play for BHS. I remember when that happened so Miller has cheated WDA and the state for many years and will continue as long as he can get by with it. If I were Miller I couldn't sleep at night knowing the things I had done for attention.
northdakotamom
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:58 am

northdakotamom wrote:Don't know why Mark Wald brings up Mandan girls in this posting as I thought this was about BOYS basketball. This "crap" (recruiting, etc.)with Bismarck High will not stop until Miller retires and why should he when he gets all this attention and glory with his cheating ways. It surprises me that his players can respect him knowing all that goes on. I have heard a rumor that some of his players will not be returning to his team next year. Maybe some of the players are finally wiseing up to Miller's antics! It was fun to read the posts from years back showing that he got an apartment for Archembault so he could play for BHS. I remember when that happened so Miller has cheated WDA and the state for many years and will continue as long as he can get by with it. If I were Miller I couldn't sleep at night knowing the things I had done for attention.

I am sure he sleeps just fine with his championship trophy right next to him. Even if he recruits (and I am not a Miller or BHS fan), what is he suppose to do with any talented kid whose family is willing to uproot themselves from their previous community, and buy a home in Bismarck just to play for BHS? Not play him even though they are now residents of the school district? There are tons of stories around the country where families sacrifice everything to get their kids in the best schools with the best programs.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby InsideMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:17 am

The problem is that untill there are rules put in place or the current ones are enforced we don't have much of an arguement. Look at college programs like USC - everybody knows that they are dirty as heII but they have won so as long as they don't get caught, the ends justify the means. Operating in the grey is what gives these programs the edge and I hate it more than anybody but untill something changes we can expect to see more of the same. I would be suprising if something isn't done this summer because they coaches are starting to get really upset about this issue especially because it was the deciding factor in the state championship game.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby oldcoach2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:43 am

I dont see how it can be stopped, the aspect of someone moving to town to play a given sport and they live in that given town and attend that given school. If parents are willing to do this they can. Sounds crazy but it does happen. I know there are some rules about tranfering and a time frame that must be met before one can play a given sport @ the varsity level I thinks its 180 days, not sure. Basically you cannt decide in Oct to move to a diiferent school to play boys basktball in Nov. It has to be known by the end of the previous school year.

As far Coach Miller goes I have heard from people that know him, he does not care what the rest of the world thinks of him plain and simple, to include the rest of the coaches in the state.

I have also heard of a number of pine polishers from this years BHS team will not be back because of treatment from the system.

internal recuiting
The school distrct will not address this as the board has acted on this couple of years ago and put in the current internal tranfer "rules" (All tranfer request go though the Asst Principal at either BHS or CHS and any reason is a good one)
The problem is current and it looks like future school board members want THEIR kids to attend BHS and they live in the CHS area so action from this group will not be seen

Until outside forces , outside coaches, NDHSAA, ETC, push the issue nothing will be done
oldcoach2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:56 am

oldcoach2 wrote:I dont see how it can be stopped, the aspect of someone moving to town to play a given sport and they live in that given town and attend that given school. If parents are willing to do this they can. Sounds crazy but it does happen. I know there are some rules about tranfering and a time frame that must be met before one can play a given sport @ the varsity level I thinks its 180 days, not sure. Basically you cannt decide in Oct to move to a diiferent school to play boys basktball in Nov. It has to be known by the end of the previous school year.

As far Coach Miller goes I have heard from people that know him, he does not care what the rest of the world thinks of him plain and simple, to include the rest of the coaches in the state.

I have also heard of a number of pine polishers from this years BHS team will not be back because of treatment from the system.

internal recuiting
The school distrct will not address this as the board has acted on this couple of years ago and put in the current internal tranfer "rules" (All tranfer request go though the Asst Principal at either BHS or CHS and any reason is a good one)
The problem is current and it looks like future school board members want THEIR kids to attend BHS and they live in the CHS area so action from this group will not be seen

Until outside forces , outside coaches, NDHSAA, ETC, push the issue nothing will be done

I am pretty sure that the 180 day rule can be avoided if the family vacates their prior house and moves into one in the new district.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:06 am

The school board isn't really going to address this because there will definitely be a shift towards the northside in the near future. Although BHS is bigger now, the elementary schools that feed into CHS are overflowing compared to the schools on the southside. The 4 biggest elementary schools are in the CHS district, and they just built a new school north of the interstate. Also, everyone (correct me if I am wrong) in Bismarck pays taxes to the same school district. So the money from the "fancy northside" homes doesn't just go to CHS, it also benefits BHS. That is why school board members have a hard time telling families that they can't go to the school of choice in their own school district. The part I do think they should control more is to discourage members of the same household to go to different schools. Then they would have to consider the best school as a whole for their entire family, and consider academics and other electives rather than just sports for 1 kid.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby King James » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:38 am

First of all some of you are haters because miller wins. Thats fine. A lot of people hate duke because they win. but i have a few questions for you

If BHS loses at state will people still be making a big deal about this?
Is "recruiting" illegal in ND high school basketball? (I honestly do not know)
Was miller winning championships before this year and when all this recruting stuff came up? Yes. Most successful program this decade.
If Miller actually did recruit and got away with it (I'm not saying he did recruit) why wouldn't more coaches do it? Finley was going to leave Parshall regardless. Same with Caley and New Town. Jalen came here and his family decided between BHS and Mandan. They visited both schools I believe. And the rumor is Jalen saw the championship trophys in the hallway and thats how BHS won him over. Caley by the way was not recruited. I have talked to him about this.
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby InsideMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:59 am

King James wrote:First of all some of you are haters because miller wins. Thats fine. A lot of people hate duke because they win. but i have a few questions for you

If BHS loses at state will people still be making a big deal about this?Is "recruiting" illegal in ND high school basketball? (I honestly do not know)
Was miller winning championships before this year and when all this recruting stuff came up? Yes. Most successful program this decade.
If Miller actually did recruit and got away with it (I'm not saying he did recruit) why wouldn't more coaches do it? Finley was going to leave Parshall regardless. Same with Caley and New Town. Jalen came here and his family decided between BHS and Mandan. They visited both schools I believe. And the rumor is Jalen saw the championship trophys in the hallway and thats how BHS won him over. Caley by the way was not recruited. I have talked to him about this.

probably not - part of the reason why this is such a big deal is because it was a deciding factor for a state championship team.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:01 pm

Yes. People would still care, just not as many.
Yes. Still illegal.
Somewhat. This recruiting stuff came up way before we were in high school.
Other coaches don't do it because they want the respect of their peers.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:52 pm

balla45 wrote:Yes. People would still care, just not as many.
Yes. Still illegal.
Somewhat. This recruiting stuff came up way before we were in high school.
Other coaches don't do it because they want the respect of their peers.

I agree with you, but will also add that many coaches don't do it because they don't have much to offer. If they can't promise a championship, then what? Playing time? Media coverage? Good players should get that where ever they play.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby northdakotamom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:15 pm

Miller has been recruiting for years and years. It is true that other coaches don't do it because they want to be respected by other coaches and the general public. it is well known that Miller doesn't really care what other people and coaches say as long as he gets the glory and the trophies and he doesn't care how he gets them.
northdakotamom
NDPreps Reserve

Postby powercat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 pm

First off i have to highly doubt the credibility of some of these accusations. If Miller actually did buy a player an apartment he would not be coaching anymore. I doubt that people on ndpreps know all the "Down Low" facts about these things. I'm sure administrators and officials have looked into these things and they would have been addressed. Also if an entire family moves it is more than likely not just based off of athletics. I do find it odd that a strong group of athletes has come to Bismarck in the last few years. However basketball is not the only sport recieving these athletes.

And if it was just as easy as recruiting, then according to most people's logic bismarck would win state every year. During the state tournament they did a profile on Finley and he put in a lot of time AFTER he got to bhs. So he became a better player at bhs and that has nothing to do with recruiting players.

I feel that this is only a problem because they won. It wasnt a problem last year when mandan won. Im sure that if Finley came to mandan there would be some huge backstory about how mandan stumbled upon a gem. But since he went to bismarck there must be foul play. I dont get it
powercat
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:51 pm

powercat wrote:First off i have to highly doubt the credibility of some of these accusations. If Miller actually did buy a player an apartment he would not be coaching anymore. I doubt that people on ndpreps know all the "Down Low" facts about these things. I'm sure administrators and officials have looked into these things and they would have been addressed. Also if an entire family moves it is more than likely not just based off of athletics. I do find it odd that a strong group of athletes has come to Bismarck in the last few years. However basketball is not the only sport recieving these athletes.

And if it was just as easy as recruiting, then according to most people's logic bismarck would win state every year. During the state tournament they did a profile on Finley and he put in a lot of time AFTER he got to bhs. So he became a better player at bhs and that has nothing to do with recruiting players.

I feel that this is only a problem because they won. It wasnt a problem last year when mandan won. Im sure that if Finley came to mandan there would be some huge backstory about how mandan stumbled upon a gem. But since he went to bismarck there must be foul play. I dont get it

Miller buying an apartment for a player came from a post made years back by a mod, so I would say thats pretty credible.

And, fine, maybe you can say Jalen was coming to the Bismarck area anyway, but what was the story of why he chose BHS? Because he saw trophies in the hall? That is definately not what I've have heard or seen on this board from reliable sources. Doesn't seem that likely to just see trophies and pick that school.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:21 pm

This is all I have to say on this topic, If a player and his/her family choose to move to an area for athletics, that is their problem/choice. If the coach does any form of recruiting at all, even a little bit, it is so morally and ethically wrong. The whole reason I want to coach high school basketball is because you have to play the hand your dealt, you don't get to "pick your players".
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby King James » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:04 pm

So if a mod says something it must be credible? That sounds dumb that Miller would by him any player an apartment. A physical education teacher/coach is going to be paying bills in his own house plus another apartment? Highly doubtful.
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 pm

King James, I have also heard this "highly doubtful" thing from 3 WDA coaches. I don't think they are all clueless.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:25 pm

King James wrote:So if a mod says something it must be credible? That sounds dumb that Miller would by him any player an apartment. A physical education teacher/coach is going to be paying bills in his own house plus another apartment? Highly doubtful.

My point about the mod part was that it wasn't some random person stirring the pot. Mods are supposed to keep the boards clean, so I don't think he'd post something like that if he didn't know it to be true.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 pm

powercat wrote:First off i have to highly doubt the credibility of some of these accusations. If Miller actually did buy a player an apartment he would not be coaching anymore. I doubt that people on ndpreps know all the "Down Low" facts about these things. I'm sure administrators and officials have looked into these things and they would have been addressed. Also if an entire family moves it is more than likely not just based off of athletics. I do find it odd that a strong group of athletes has come to Bismarck in the last few years. However basketball is not the only sport recieving these athletes.

Which allegations do you doubt? The only thing I have talked about Miller doing is contacting a Mandan player, because I know that is fact.

Go ask your local head coach about the Archambault situation and see what you find out.

If Finley would have gone to Mandan, there couldn't have been foul play because Mandan didn't have a coach. Finley averaged 23 points per as a sophomore. No hidden gem. Trust me.

I respect his work ethic alot. He is actually one of my favorite players to play with, I'm no Jalen Finley hater, I'm just being realistic. They would not have won the championship if Jalen was not there. Basically, Jalen Finley cost Mandan a title.

It isn't because he went to Bismarck that there must be foul play, it is because foul play happened that there is foul play.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby InsideMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Nobody can deny that recruiting too place because there is multiple sources, including myself that has witnessed it.

BHS does not win the title this year with out Finley. Nobody can argue against that. I feel bad for Horner and the Braves because they weren't in a fair fight.

None of miller's peers respect him as a man because of his childish and wreckless actions and the different set of rules that he likes to play by. Ill take a seperate insident from this year other than the recruiting - the insident between him and preston tescher this year at st. mary's. He thought that preston was playing too physical at the end of the half so he took it upon himself to get in his preston's face and tell him, in so many words, to go down to the locker room where he belongs. If another coach would have gotten in, say, jalen finley's face it would have been a big deal and he would have blown up.

I respect the winning because nobody can deny it - he runs a very successful program. The means are anything but honorable but that is his choice. The only question that I have left is what are the exact rules regarding recruiting and contact with other school's players?
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:45 pm

InsideMan wrote:Nobody can deny that recruiting too place because there is multiple sources, including myself that has witnessed it.

BHS does not win the title this year with out Finley. Nobody can argue against that. I feel bad for Horner and the Braves because they weren't in a fair fight.

None of miller's peers respect him as a man because of his childish and wreckless actions and the different set of rules that he likes to play by. Ill take a seperate insident from this year other than the recruiting - the insident between him and preston tescher this year at st. mary's. He thought that preston was playing too physical at the end of the half so he took it upon himself to get in his preston's face and tell him, in so many words, to go down to the locker room where he belongs. If another coach would have gotten in, say, jalen finley's face it would have been a big deal and he would have blown up.

I respect the winning because nobody can deny it - he runs a very successful program. The means are anything but honorable but that is his choice. The only question that I have left is what are the exact rules regarding recruiting and contact with other school's players?

Well the only real recruiting thing I remember was the Langdon Area High School volleyball team, the coaches supposedly went to players homes to talk to them about it. I believe they were suspended from tournament play for a year.

Miller got in the face of a player from another team?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby InsideMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:52 pm

yeah preston tescher from st. marys

that is good to hear that there is some precedence for punishment for recruiting.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:56 pm

The Schwab wrote:Miller got in the face of a player from another team?

Yeah, when they played St. Mary's earlier this year. He thought Preston Tescher was being dirty in the paint(probably was) and at the half, he took it upon himself to try and set Tescher straight. Supposedly, he was right up in Tescher face saying something. I wasn't at the game, but someone told me what was said, but I don't remember what it was.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:58 pm

Didn't the Langdon coach just have to resign, and their ban was lifted? And if I'm not mistaken, didn't he quit, get their ban lifted, and then re-sign? Maybe I heard someone wrong, but I thought thats what they said.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby InsideMan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:51 am

At least there is a history of coaches being reprimanded for recruiting so these acusations would have some teeth.

Could you imagine what a fit miller would throw if another coach got in one of his players faces?? I was actually at the game and there was a ref right there. If there would have been a foul they would have called it and out of all coaches, miller should understand physical defense - it is what his program is built on.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys