State Tournament

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State Tournament

Postby roundem6 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Shanley will just have to try and keep rotating on him and try to make someone else beat them.
and Schultz had a good game but most of those points were in the 1st half I believe and the boards are very impressive, but I was mostly talking about on the offensive side of the ball.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roundem6 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:59 pm

jonny906 wrote:I know this might be off topic but going back to some old posts when roundem stated that north just stood around and watched sav try to beat west fargo alone. He got that from schultis saying that in the fargo forum, which makes me question him as a coach. If he only trusts one player on his team and does not give credit to the rest of team i feel like that is not very coach of the year material. And when you say everyone stood and watched? Nick Schultz 12 points 18 rebounds 4 blocks 3 steals

I never really question Shultis but first the whole defense against WF was ridiculous then sells out his team to the press. Regardless, he was EDC coach of the year, much deserved.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:44 pm

soccer09 wrote:
roundem6 wrote:Mandan is going to destroy Shanley simply because Dylan Dunn will not stop BK.

I don't dispute your analysis- what I would ask is, from your point of view, what would you do if you had Shanley's dilemma? That is, what strategy do you think gives them the best chance to neutralize a huge height disadvantage down low?

Realistically, BK goes at least 20+ in the post. If I am Shanley, I try to go 25+ at the guard positions. I would make Coyle and Flaa beat Rodenbiker and Jacobson.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby roundem6 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:19 pm

Rodenbiker and Jacobson are both solid but BK will be too much in the end.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:29 pm

I predict Kielpinski to be 25-30 points and 12-15 rebounds. Coyle will be in the 15-20 point range as well.

I think Rodenbiker goes around 18-25. Maybe someone else hits double figures. Interested to see how much Jacobson has improved since the first game of the season. I hear that he is absolutely incredible and am interested to see if he can live up to the hype.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbball1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:32 pm

bismarck by 30

mandan 20

north 10

minot, close game, playing very good ball right now
ndbball1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby roundem6 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm

balla45 wrote:I predict Kielpinski to be 25-30 points and 12-15 rebounds. Coyle will be in the 15-20 point range as well.

I think Rodenbiker goes around 18-25. Maybe someone else hits double figures. Interested to see how much Jacobson has improved since the first game of the season. I hear that he is absolutely incredible and am interested to see if he can live up to the hype.

Maybe not, being his first state tourney and playing one of the best teams in state, but last weekend at EDC he proved me wrong and had 2 solid games. I didnt see their first round game with South but against North and Devils Lake, he was solid. Think he had 14 against North, all in the first half, then they adjusted to him. I could be wrong, but against Devils Lake pretty sure he broke 20.
Next year Shanley is going to be probably the best team in the East.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:44 pm

"Highest ceiling of any player in the state other than Hanstad." I am interested to see how he compares to Coyle.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby roundem6 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Once he hits the weights and develops physically more, he will be one of the top players in state for sure.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:49 pm

No doubt. 1500 point scorer most likely.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby roundem6 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 pm

I am lookin for more on Century. I think the size advantage for Century is huge, as Nik will likely be on Govig/Jacobs.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby InsideMan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:27 am

Century is going to struggle to score. They lack fire power.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby GFRR99 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Only way century has a chance to win is if they shut down Nik. I just don't see that happening
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby yellowsquash » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:41 pm

i think Century has a chance to make it to the ship, but Bismarck will win the ship. Dexter Werner is just to big and good. i watched the WDA title game, and personally i thought that he handled Kelpienski.
yellowsquash
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InsideMan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:47 pm

If they make it to the ship that means that they beat mandan and we all know that isn't going to happen. Whether bhs wins the ship is going to depend on how the game is officiated. If the refs allow them to get away with murder like they did in the WDA championship game, they are going to be tough to beat. BK played as bad as possible to go with the questionable officiating and mandan almost sent that game into OT. I have a gut feeling that Mandan will beat bhs if they play them again.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:48 pm

InsideMan wrote:If they make it to the ship that means that they beat mandan and we all know that isn't going to happen. Whether bhs wins the ship is going to depend on how the game is officiated. If the refs allow them to get away with murder like they did in the WDA championship game, they are going to be tough to beat. BK played as bad as possible to go with the questionable officiating and mandan almost sent that game into OT. I have a gut feeling that Mandan will beat bhs if they play them again.

I didn't think BK necessarily played bad, but the Mandan guards were terrible about giving him the ball when he was open. Then when they realized that they needed him to win, they forced it in there. It was hard to watch at times. Then when the guards did make a shot, you knew they were never going to look inside for a while. You could hear the Mandan bench and crowd yelling the whole game to throw it in to him.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby crazymonkey2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:54 pm

GFRR99 wrote:Only way century has a chance to win is if they shut down Nik. I just don't see that happening

Century will be just fine they played terrible all of the games at WDA so im pretty sure if they can pull it together they can make a legit run for it lets not forget they only lost to BHS by 5 and Mandan by 1
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed
--Michael Jordan
crazymonkey2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby crazymonkey2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:55 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
InsideMan wrote:If they make it to the ship that means that they beat mandan and we all know that isn't going to happen. Whether bhs wins the ship is going to depend on how the game is officiated. If the refs allow them to get away with murder like they did in the WDA championship game, they are going to be tough to beat. BK played as bad as possible to go with the questionable officiating and mandan almost sent that game into OT. I have a gut feeling that Mandan will beat bhs if they play them again.

I didn't think BK necessarily played bad, but the Mandan guards were terrible about giving him the ball when he was open. Then when they realized that they needed him to win, they forced it in there. It was hard to watch at times. Then when the guards did make a shot, you knew they were never going to look inside for a while. You could hear the Mandan bench and crowd yelling the whole game to throw it in to him.

exactly BK is a stud just give it to him and let him do the rest
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed
--Michael Jordan
crazymonkey2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InsideMan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:58 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:

Im just trying to be honest here - I don't like to be critical of players but BK stunk up the gym. He couldn't make a 2 footer to save his life and he can't understand the fact that dexter has absolutely 1 move. That is as bad as he can play. If his head is on straight they should roll. I would be hesitant about throwing it into him if he was playing like that too. If he is a competitor he will respond which is what I am expecing this weekend.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:48 am

From the MinotDailyNews, "Minot now shifts its focus to its opening round opponent West Fargo. Winczewski feels the Packers and Magi are very similar.

"They are almost identical to us, in fact they are a lot like us," he said. "They rely on defense and rebounding, and that's where it all starts for us. They have a couple nice kids in the point guard Chase Farkas and the big guy Austin Nelson. They're an athletic tough and are a tough matchup for anyone, and we get to see them the first round." "

Maybe I'm not completely biased and the teams are almost the same.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby squeak63 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:06 pm

The game was rough on both ends of the floor though. I am not accusing you of saying that the refs favored bhs in that game or anything but i believe that the refs called the game pretty consitently for both teams. That being said as a player you have to figure out in the first 5-10 min what the ref is or isn't going to give you... that is really a mark of being a good player, if you can get away with a little of pushing and shoving do it, if you can't adjust. BHS was the better team and adjusted better in the wda championship thats the reason they won.
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby InsideMan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:14 pm

squeak63 wrote:

The game was rough on both ends of the floor though. I am not accusing you of saying that the refs favored bhs in that game or anything but i believe that the refs called the game pretty consitently for both teams. That being said as a player you have to figure out in the first 5-10 min what the ref is or isn't going to give you... that is really a mark of being a good player, if you can get away with a little of pushing and shoving do it, if you can't adjust. BHS was the better team and adjusted better in the wda championship thats the reason they won.

Couldn't agree with you more. What I am trying to get at is that if they are going to let the game be more physical, allow the hand checking, and they type of post defense that they were allowing, it favors bhs because that is more their style of play and that is what has attributed to the majority of their success. The officiating was fairly consistent (even though I had an issue with the no call when Coyle went to the tin with under a minute to go - it has to be a call one way or another) so you are right, the players should adjust but they can only adjust so much because of the players style of play. Kilpinski is soft so when people are allowed to be even more physical with him it really hurts his game. He should have manned up and played tougher but maybe that isn't something that he is capeable of. When I played, I did exactly what you said - took the first 5-10 minutes to figure out how it was going to be called, made adjustments, and played to that type of officiating. Either way I think that there will be a rematch and I can't wait for it because it will be a great game.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:45 pm

agreed
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby roundem6 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Bismarck by 17.
North by 3.
WF by 3.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roundem6 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:59 pm

crazymonkey2 wrote:
GFRR99 wrote:Only way century has a chance to win is if they shut down Nik. I just don't see that happening

Century will be just fine they played terrible all of the games at WDA so im pretty sure if they can pull it together they can make a legit run for it lets not forget they only lost to BHS by 5 and Mandan by 1

North was doin their best job of trying to give it away but Century couldnt take it.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys