Hansted

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Hansted

Postby UND Fan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:33 pm

I am from out of state and don't get much western ND basketball coeverage in the on-line Forum or Herald.

What kind of year has Hansted had?
UND Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Hansted

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Almost as good as Savageau if you know how Nik is doing.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:00 pm

roundem6 wrote:Almost as good as Savageau if you know how Nik is doing.

Thats a joke right?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:01 pm

numbers dont lie.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:07 pm

roundem6 wrote:numbers dont lie.

Whats Nik averaging? I've heard Hanstad is at 26 a game. I'm not sure about boards and assists, but I'm pretty sure he's over 10 boards and who knows about assists because his teamates are so bad. I can't find North's stats on the NDHSAA website so I don't know Nik's stats.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Indy5 wrote:
roundem6 wrote:numbers dont lie.

Whats Nik averaging? I've heard Hanstad is at 26 a game. I'm not sure about boards and assists, but I'm pretty sure he's over 10 boards and who knows about assists because his teamates are so bad. I can't find North's stats on the NDHSAA website so I don't know Nik's stats.

WDA site says joe is at 23 7 and about 1. Nik is at 22 5 5, shooting over 50%. And Joe has more points due to the fact that he has taken 342 shots compared to Nik's 265. Nik is way more efficient.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:23 pm

Nik also has more steals and blocks, two categories which cant be blamed on teammates :)
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:26 pm

It says he is getting 1 assist a game? No way that can be right. Where is Balla45 when we need him? :D
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:31 pm

I apologize. 1.6/game according to Dickinsons site. 32 assists in 20 games.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby powercat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Ok edc bball says nik is average 4.7 and u round that up to 5 and wda bball says joe is averaging 1.6 a game and u round that down to 1? Ive never seen Nik play so i cant say much about him, but dickonson runs all there plays through Hanstad so how is he suppose to get assists? Also isnt Nik a point guard so of course he is going to get more assists.
powercat
NDPreps Starter

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:37 pm

I did just say 1.6 assists for Joe in the post above. And Niks assists numbers are easily rounded up to 5 since I know the official stats for some games have been way off.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 pm

roundem6 wrote:I did just say 1.6 assists for Joe in the post above. And Niks assists numbers are easily rounded up to 5 since I know the official stats for some games have been way off.

That can be said for everyone. It seems like everyone has an arguement for better stats because the official stats are off.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby powercat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Yeah you posted that while i was writing mine. Anyways the second leading scoring for Dickonson is averaging 9 points a game. Who is he suppose to pass it to? Also high school stats are not by any means exact maybe Joe's stats are missing a couple of assists. And also to say a PG is averaging more assists than a teams go to player isnt saying much.
powercat
NDPreps Starter

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Ok the stats are missing a couple assists. so 2 a game! The PG we're talking about though is North's go to player so I dont really understand your point comparing a pg to a go to player, Nik is both to North.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm

If you guys are so sure of Hanstad's superiority to Savageau please tell me when you have seen Nik Savageau play and against who?
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:03 pm

roundem6 wrote:Ok the stats are missing a couple assists. so 2 a game! The PG we're talking about though is North's go to player so I dont really understand your point comparing a pg to a go to player, Nik is both to North.

I guess I can't put words in his mouth but I would think that go to player wasn't the right word he was looking for. I got what he meant. I'm pretty sure he meant that Nik is North's point guard, so he gets his team into plays, he runs the show. He's going to get assists. Hanstad on the other hand, is a wingman who is there only scoring threat at all. He won't bring up the ball and run the show. Their plays are all set up to get him open shots and put him in places to score.

So there are a couple things that help Savageau get more assists than Hanstad.
1. Teamates. North is just flat out way better than Dickinson. They actually have scorers.
2. Nik is a point guard. Hanstad is a swingman.
3. North puts Nik in positions to get assists, Dickinson could care less if Hanstad gets a assist, they want him to score.

I'd be willing to be that Hanstad had around 5 assists last year when he had 2 pretty good shooters on his team. Then he could actually pass the ball and have someone else score. That doesn't happen this year.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 pm

roundem6 wrote:If you guys are so sure of Hanstad's superiority to Savageau please tell me when you have seen Nik Savageau play and against who?

I will admit i've never seen Savageau play. I've only heard things about him. From what I've heard I have a pretty good idea of how he plays. I have seen Hanstad play and he is the best player I've ever seen in person. I can't wait for next weekend to see Savageau at state.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:12 pm

I only said the stats, I know why Nik has more assists than Joe. The assists are only getting discussed because when you look at a player its always the big 3 stat categories (pt,rebs,asts).
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby collegesports_7 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:12 pm

What colleges are recruiting Hanstad by the way?
collegesports_7
NDPreps Rookie

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:17 pm

a lot of good ones. thats not the point of this though, if u want to go chat on the recruiting thread you could go jump on that. Hanstad has better college opportunities, CONGRATS. Numbers dont lie.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roundem6 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Hanstad also has 6 inches on Savageau.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ScoopandScore » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:42 am

As a high school athlete wouldn't you say your goal is to make it to the next level on athletics? Because I would, and since Joe has had that since he was a freshman I would give the nod to Joe. You are right that numbers don't lie, they just don't tell the whole story either. I think Nik is underrated but I believe Joe is a better player. If Nik and Joe swapped teams Joe would flourish where as Nik would struggle.
ScoopandScore
NDPreps Rookie

Postby UND Fan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:03 pm

Well, so far I have read nothing other than a Hansted vs. Savageau argument. The question was - is Hansted still improving, has he grown any more, at what level of DI do you think he can contribute?

It appears that no one in the Joe vs. Nik debate has seen both of them play so you are doing nothing but wasting your time!
UND Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:33 pm

I have seen Nik and Joe play multiple times. I have played against Nik and Joe multiple times. Hanstad is the best player in the state, quite possibly the best player in the state's history. Do not get me wrong, Nik is a very good player, but you are comparing apples to oranges.

Roundem6 said numbers don't lie. Looking at the numbers, Savageau has a 6'4'' player shooting over 50% from the field and 40% from 3, while getting 15 a game. Joe leads his team in every shooting category. Assists are not telling here, as Joe does not have the ability to get assists due to his team not having a post player or any shooters. Making a great pass to a wide open player is all he can do, it is not his fault if they do not convert. This makes your entire approach with assists pointless.

North is vastly superior to Dickinson, Joe is very superior to Nik, as much as I don't like to say it. In Nik's career he has played with Jordan May and averaged 12 a game, two 6'6'' big man and averaged 18, 5, and 5, and this season he has four players over 6'3'' to get assists to. In Joe's career he played with many good guards as a freshman and averaged 13, 5, and 3, as a sophomore he played with 2 good shooters and averaged 27, 7, and 4, and as a junior he is playing with no one taller than him and no one who can shoot the ball, yet still averaging 23 and 7, while leading his team in every shooting category, going against a box and 1 every night.

I would venture to say that every coach in North Dakota and probably 99% of coaches across the country would agree that Joe is a better player than Nik. Again, Joe was an ESPN player to watch and has received multiple division one offers while also getting interest from schools that McDonald's All Americans go to.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:40 pm

To add to this discussion about stats.

Joe scores more and gets more rebounds.

Nik gets more assists and steals. Less than one block a game really means nothing either way.

The WDA has two players averaging over 2 steals per game, while the EDC has five players averaging over two steals per game. This makes it seem as if the EDC teams are more loose with the ball than the WDA teams, which obviously helps Nik's numbers.

My question. What does Nik do that makes you think he is better than Joe? Using much of your logic, I can argue that simply by the numbers, Schreiner is arguably the best player in the state.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys