Best Lock Down Player

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Best Lock Down Player

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Who's the best lock down player out there? The one who's gonna shut down the star from another team.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Re: Best Lock Down Player

Postby skyman13 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Mike Miller of Mandan always gets the top assignment when playing the other team star**..He does get a lot of help by committee from his teammates..IMO...he does a nice job...
skyman13
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Dewayne Liggins.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball fan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:13 am

I think in the east no question are in the post is Shultz from North and on perimiter Flaten from WF....they both probly lead team in rebounding and are ball hawks...
baseball fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby october23sp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:54 am

balla45 wrote:Dewayne Liggins.

Yep.
october23sp
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 pm

Jake Miller has held the opposing PG (for the teams i know who their PG is, i don't know who the gillette teams PG's were and i don't know who willistons or TM is), to a 21-67 shooting total, that puts his opponents at about 30% against him, also he has held Klubunde to 3-14 for 8 pts, and coyle to 4-17 for 8 pts, Klabunde is averaging 14 i game and coyle is averaging 11 a game but on the season averages 44% for shooting, in my mind jake is doing a pretty good job shutting down the opposing PG
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:27 pm

I would like to add that Liggins played a big role in the game against Klabunde on the defensive end.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby fargocatcher10 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:34 pm

flaten is hands down the best defensive player in the state. he gets stops whenever it is needed and he doesnt get burned. he is the best lock down player in the state
fargocatcher10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:48 pm

I will respectfully disagree, having seen Flaten get burned. My vote goes to Liggins, but I have not seen multiple EDC teams play. However, I have seen West Fargo play. Flaten is up there, but I don't think he is good at defense as Liggins, Thorton, or Hanstad.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby powercat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Chris "The Plumber" Rivinus has been know to shut some water off
powercat
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:32 pm

balla45 wrote:I would like to add that Liggins played a big role in the game against Klabunde on the defensive end.

wasn't at the same i just figured that jake would have gotten the job of gaurding klabunde... still you could throw miller liggins thortan and jolliffe all in there for bhs, jake is really good at dogging a guy all the way down the court and dewayne esley and nick are all long and quick and very good lock down players
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby demonation1 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:39 pm

balla45 wrote:I would like to add that Liggins played a big role in the game against Klabunde on the defensive end.

the only points klabunde scored were the ones when liggins was guarding him. his defense was poor to say the least that game .liggins is a good ball player don't get me wrong-but defense is not his strong suit
peace! :)
demonation1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball fan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:38 pm

bALLA....here we go again with west bias...as a moderator have an open mind...I usually stick up for you but as sometimes happens on here your opinion is skewed...you saw him get burned wow who has not during the year? how many games you seen him play 1 when WF beat Mandan I assume...he is 5'9 or so I am guessing and is close to team rebounding lead and guards teams best player normally...kid from Mhd averages like 16 ppg and had 32 other night against wf he had 2 points...North is best team in east but wf team defense led by Flaten is best so that would give him an edge as being as good as the rest...not saying better but as good as in equal....also faster than the others you mentioned and has a no quit attitude.
baseball fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GFRR99 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:58 pm

baseball fan wrote:bALLA....here we go again with west bias...as a moderator have an open mind...I usually stick up for you but as sometimes happens on here your opinion is skewed...you saw him get burned wow who has not during the year? how many games you seen him play 1 when WF beat Mandan I assume...he is 5'9 or so I am guessing and is close to team rebounding lead and guards teams best player normally...kid from Mhd averages like 16 ppg and had 32 other night against wf he had 2 points...North is best team in east but wf team defense led by Flaten is best so that would give him an edge as being as good as the rest...not saying better but as good as in equal....also faster than the others you mentioned and has a no quit attitude.

flaten is a good defender dont get me wrong, but norths guards did whatever they wanted when they played west fargo..the only reason it was close was because west fargo's posts outplayed north's. im pretty sure schreiner put up huge numbers on flaten too. he is not a top 5 lock down defender in the state
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller_2010 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:46 pm

I think Klabunde is overrated anyways though in response to the BHS/Mary game defense
Baller_2010
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:07 pm

demonation1 wrote:

the only points klabunde scored were the ones when liggins was guarding him. his defense was poor to say the least that game .liggins is a good ball player don't get me wrong-but defense is not his strong suit

His defense was poor? Everyone gets scored on, but if I am picking a player to guard a Nik Savageau, Joe Hanstad, Luke Schreiner, etc., I will go with Liggins every time. He is still in my mind, the best athlete on the floor 99% of the time he plays. Maybe not the best basketball player, but the best athlete. He had at least 5 tipped passes against Saint Mary's. Blocked a shot of Klabunde's and tipped the ball out many times. I would say defense is the best part of his game.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 pm

baseball fan wrote:bALLA....here we go again with west bias...as a moderator have an open mind...I usually stick up for you but as sometimes happens on here your opinion is skewed...you saw him get burned wow who has not during the year? how many games you seen him play 1 when WF beat Mandan I assume...he is 5'9 or so I am guessing and is close to team rebounding lead and guards teams best player normally...kid from Mhd averages like 16 ppg and had 32 other night against wf he had 2 points...North is best team in east but wf team defense led by Flaten is best so that would give him an edge as being as good as the rest...not saying better but as good as in equal....also faster than the others you mentioned and has a no quit attitude.

I wouldn't say this is a WDA bias. Although if it is, my status as a moderator does not effect what I think of basketball players. I think Liggins and Thorton are the best defensive players, and I have never seen anyone put up numbers against Hanstad. The original poster said Flaten "never" gets burned. I saw him get burned, so I was disputing that.

I doubt he is faster than Liggins, but this really doesn't matter, and I said he was up there as a defensive player. It is not like I said he was bad, and again, the original poster stated that he was "hands down" the best defender in the state. I doubt this poster has seen more teams play this year than I have. I think that is enough credit given to show that I do not have a bias. Notice I used two BHS players, and BHS gives up 44 points per game.

For the record, last year I said Benson was the best defender in the state. So I obviously do not have a WDA bias, or a bias against West Fargo, I just happen to think that BHS has the state's two best defenders.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby fargocatcher10 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:46 am

GFRR99 wrote:flaten is a good defender dont get me wrong, but norths guards did whatever they wanted when they played west fargo..the only reason it was close was because west fargo's posts outplayed north's. im pretty sure schreiner put up huge numbers on flaten too. he is not a top 5 lock down defender in the state

Yeah ill completely disagree with that. Norths guards did no where near whatever they wanted. Savy was feeling it from deep and hit like 5 NBA threes, and West Fargo was playing zone when that happened. Other than that Savajeau didnt do anything on Flaten. And Shreiner did not put up huge numbers on him, because Flaten wasnt guarding him for most of the game he was guarding Thompson who was a bigger threat to them at the time. Flaten is THE best defensive player in the state. If you need a stop at the end of any game, you put Flaten on the best player aand its guaranteed he shuts them down 9 times out of 10.
fargocatcher10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fargocatcher10 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:49 am

balla45 wrote:

I wouldn't say this is a WDA bias. Although if it is, my status as a moderator does not effect what I think of basketball players. I think Liggins and Thorton are the best defensive players, and I have never seen anyone put up numbers against Hanstad. The original poster said Flaten "never" gets burned. I saw him get burned, so I was disputing that.

I doubt he is faster than Liggins, but this really doesn't matter, and I said he was up there as a defensive player. It is not like I said he was bad, and again, the original poster stated that he was "hands down" the best defender in the state. I doubt this poster has seen more teams play this year than I have. I think that is enough credit given to show that I do not have a bias. Notice I used two BHS players, and BHS gives up 44 points per game.

For the record, last year I said Benson was the best defender in the state. So I obviously do not have a WDA bias, or a bias against West Fargo, I just happen to think that BHS has the state's two best defenders.

Yeah, ive seen every team in the state play besides williston and turtle mountain. Flaten is by far the best defensive player in the EDC and he IS the best defensive player in the state. West Fargo has the most close gaames out of anyone im sure this year, and at the end of the game with a 1 or 2 point lead its weird that Flaten always seems to come up with the stop.
fargocatcher10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bbjunkie » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:58 am

Miller gets my vote from Mandan. Flaten is god as well as Nik...no one from RR they do not play defense..consistently get beat off the dribble and play terrible team defense..gregory obsessed with offense..no defense. i think that is why WF beats RR.
Back to players hanstad is good but i think he has the advantage of people wearing down guarding him so he has a little easier time when it comes to playing defense.
bbjunkie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby teamramrod » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:10 pm

fargocatcher10 wrote:
GFRR99 wrote:flaten is a good defender dont get me wrong, but norths guards did whatever they wanted when they played west fargo..the only reason it was close was because west fargo's posts outplayed north's. im pretty sure schreiner put up huge numbers on flaten too. he is not a top 5 lock down defender in the state

Yeah ill completely disagree with that. Norths guards did no where near whatever they wanted. Savy was feeling it from deep and hit like 5 NBA threes, and West Fargo was playing zone when that happened. Other than that Savajeau didnt do anything on Flaten. And Shreiner did not put up huge numbers on him, because Flaten wasnt guarding him for most of the game he was guarding Thompson who was a bigger threat to them at the time. Flaten is THE best defensive player in the state. If you need a stop at the end of any game, you put Flaten on the best player aand its guaranteed he shuts them down 9 times out of 10.

personally id take savageau beating flaten 9 times out of 10 at the end of the game, id take sav bergeron and strom from north all over flaten defensively, hes good but i think most people would agree hes definetaly not the best in the whole state, id take the bismark squad over him considering one team has scored over 50 points on them
teamramrod
NDPreps Reserve

Postby squeak63 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 pm

fargocatcher10 wrote:

an earlier post said this kid is 5'9", i know the west so i am just gonna pull some examples out of the west, Who would dickinson go to for a final shot? Joe hanstad 6'4", who would mandan go to? Bryan Keilpinski 6'8", who would williston go to? Tyler Eiken 6'3", Who would bismarck high go to? Esley Thortan 6'2"/Jalen Finley 6'2"/ Dexter Werner 6'5", now i am no math guru but i see Flaten giving up at least 5 inches on every one of those guys so i wouldn't see any problem with those guys rising up and shooting over him
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:44 pm

Where Liggins, at 6'2'' or 6'3'', would have a much better chance at contesting or altering the shot.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby iluvit » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:51 pm

DL all day
iluvit
NDPreps Starter

Postby fargocatcher10 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:50 pm

flaten is 5' 10" and has maybe the biggest or one of the biggest verticals out of anyone ive seen play. he can throw it down. hed shut down anyone anytime
fargocatcher10
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Boys