Red River basketball???

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Red River basketball???

Postby Dawg245 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:22 pm

bbjunkie wrote:so...ndbasketballfan...the reason Red River wins and loses depends on whether or not Hickel starts? Good to know it is that simple...And as far as stats go...they are put out by the teams coaches so those of you who say minutes are wrong for north and red river....are there other stats correct? i don't think they would have RR shooting any worse? I did not see North game but looks like Thompson woke up. He is streaky and hope he continues. Anyone know what happened to Robb? he is not even on roster..in team picure? Hurt? Gone?

Robb quit before the Jamestown game I heard from a parent. I was at the North RR game and it was a god all around game. After seeing Hickel play, I could honestly say he's one of the hardest working players I've seen in a while. RR played almost their entire bench and yes Thompson woke up and hit I think 6 or 7 threes. Fun game to watch.
Dawg245
NDPreps Starter

Postby teamramrod » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Dawg245 wrote:
bbjunkie wrote:so...ndbasketballfan...the reason Red River wins and loses depends on whether or not Hickel starts? Good to know it is that simple...And as far as stats go...they are put out by the teams coaches so those of you who say minutes are wrong for north and red river....are there other stats correct? i don't think they would have RR shooting any worse? I did not see North game but looks like Thompson woke up. He is streaky and hope he continues. Anyone know what happened to Robb? he is not even on roster..in team picure? Hurt? Gone?

Robb quit before the Jamestown game I heard from a parent. I was at the North RR game and it was a god all around game. After seeing Hickel play, I could honestly say he's one of the hardest working players I've seen in a while. RR played almost their entire bench and yes Thompson woke up and hit I think 6 or 7 threes. Fun game to watch.

it was a fun game to watch, unfortunately north didn't seem to get much help from the refs at all. sav couldve put up 40 if he would have gotten a chance to go to the free throw line. and as for hickel he was every where on the court, really showed he belonged out there more so than lee. another point id like to throw out was the red river coach shoutin at a north player during a free throw, dont know of many coaches that would try that one out
teamramrod
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:03 am

I was at the North game. The coach didnt yell at a north player during free throw. QUIT STARTING STUFF
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbjunkie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:46 pm

big win beating south at home..can't afford to lose those at home. Looks like RR playing well...maybe those who siad they would be the best in the east are right. They must have come a long ways and battle i am sure helped but the way they played early..i would be cautiously optimistic but not certain they can continue. Battle must be a key to drive and break defenses down. They still need to work on their defense...sounds like in last two games they had brilliant moments and then moments when they did not guard anyone...like losing big leads to both north and south...but they did finish. NO Robb? What was battle's injury?
bbjunkie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby dillseeds » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Battle's been dealing with an ankle injury for a while that he picked up during one of the early season practices. Robb quit after he complained about playing time during the third and fourth games.
dillseeds
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbjunkie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:28 pm

he yelled at the player on the freethrow line? Gregory did that? I had not heard that...WOw..just win baby

Read the whole thread - someone who attended the game said the coach DID NOT yell at the player. Let that rumor die.
bbjunkie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby roundem6 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:33 pm

I dont know if we should let it die so fast. I have heard reports of both cases but its my guess it was a jv player or a parent sitting behind the coach, which could have been an easy mistake.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbjunkie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm

if someone at the game said he did and someone at the game said he didn't...who do you believe?
bbjunkie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby roundem6 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:11 pm

like i said i think it was probably someone behind the coach. Because it did seem like he did, but too hard to believe.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbjunkie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:36 am

but teamramrod is the one saying he saw it and you think he did? Might not be a rumor? He does get a little fiesty that little Mr. gregory
bbjunkie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby teamramrod » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:29 am

im not on here trying to start a rumor, i was at the game. im pretty sure i witnessed it. as roundem said theres a possibility it coulda been someone behind him but unless im seein things it was him. he looked pretty mad after the foul that sent the person to the line. and ya he was gettin pretty fiesty throughout the game, i did witness one of the north students mimick him by dropping to his knees, quite comical
teamramrod
NDPreps Reserve

Postby roundem6 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:21 pm

I did witness that and I must say that was a flawless imitation of Mr. Gregory. :lol:
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:37 am

OK TIME TO DROP IT THIS IS ABOUT AS STUPID AS IT GETS ON HERE.
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbjunkie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:29 pm

was looking at paper this am...saw that WF beat RR again and that only loss for North is RR. so can some tell a person who has only seen a few EDC games this yea...who is the best in the East? I was thinking RR had made good strides but giving up 74 points to WF who averages less than 60 does not say much for any improvements on defense.....run 15 different offensive sets but spend no time on defense...oh well..who is best in East?
bbjunkie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thecook » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:54 pm

looks like ndbasketballfan007 probably plays for or goes to red river...
thecook
NDPreps Reserve

Postby teamramrod » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:20 pm

red river lost to shanley on saturday, seems to me they cant play consistent bball at all this year
teamramrod
NDPreps Reserve

Postby roundem6 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Dont know how they lost to Shanley. It was a battle of guards since both schools have jokes for bigs, and I would have predicted Schreiner/Battle > Rodenbiker but Jacobson really stepped out and knocked of Gregory's squad.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbjunkie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:00 pm

the answer is easy...they lost to shanley becausethey don't play defense... Arvidson is now starting and he is great athlete and heck of an offensive player..I heard he dunked in a game. but he is a perfect example what is wrong there...great offense and no defense. he blocks shots from behind because he gets beat off the dribble. their coach runs 20 offensive sets and spends two minutes of practice time before the season starts and talks about defense. he thinks because he has athletes he does not need to teach defense and rebounding..One of the poorest coached talented teams i have ever seen...good luck against north tonight...and if they finish #3 in east...looking for upset in round 1 of edc...
bbjunkie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby P4KNBD » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 pm

bbjunkie wrote:I was in Grand Forks last week and had heard that Red River was going to be one of the best teams in the East. Right now i can't imagine that they are....I watched them play West Fargo and then Bemidji. They played pretty well early against West Fargo and Bemidji, I think they had leads at halftime in both games. The schreiner kid had some moments but had trouble in the second half when teams adjusted. i would have to say Red River did no adjusting at halftime. They seem to run or call out many difeent offensive plays but they it seems they are all designed to free up a guard for a jump shot...no easy baskets for them. They did not do a very good job getting the ball inside unless schreiner would penetrate and dish..he did do that a few times but hat left 4 teamates standing around watching. Not much offense run to get thmpson posted up or free for a they. The games i saw teams adjusted to his good first halves and really made him a non-factor in the second half and he really seems to be the only option the coaches are working to get shots.

The defense of scheme was astounding. They are having the wings(guards), guys guarding the ball overplay, i mean really overplay their person to force them to drive he ball to the block..four feet from the basket, you know the colored block on the floor for freethrows..ya...they allow this person to dribble to 4 feet not to the baseline to the basket. Once there one of their big guys tries to take a charge or leaves his guy...red river is not all that big and besides Robb, no real shot blockers...so they give up four foot shot to the wing or if big guy leaves to soon, a layup to the other teams opposing big guy. Nelson from West Fargo.. Looked awesome as Farkas beat whoever was guarding him and he either got layup or Nelson got a bunny. Against Bemidji, their scorer just got funneled to the block and elevated over for two points.

For sure, the coach talked about his three guards being one of the tops in the state if not the top in the state...needs to realize you must play defense! He must have forgot about the kid at north and the West Fargo guards as a whole were better than Red River. And there is Wolf at Devils Lake and Rod at shanley...right? it was the guards from Bemidji that got Red River too. It almost lloks like the rest on defense so they have energy for offense. Battle played against Bemidji and he was rusty so hopefully he will get better but their defense is non-existent, and alot of turnovers but that happens, in my opinion, when you stand around and try to create off the dribble.

Schreiner is the real deal offensively but it seems that all kinds of offensive plays but only one, very ordinary. lackluster defense..their guards get beat a lot...seems to me when i watched them play last year at state it was kind of the same thing. Offense no defense.

To be more positive, I thought West Fargo looked pretty good. They did not get discouraged early when they wee down. They ran pretty simple offense but ran it well. They got a ton of really good shots in the second half. Their coach made some really good adjustments at half and his team executed very well in second half. They are not that big but they distributed the ball well and played good defense. It looks like they might be one of the best teams in the East. Farkas and Nelson were good and Hoy and Flatin play defense...to be fair, the games i saw was won by the team that made adjustments and played defense and that was not Red River. For Red River it can only get better...right? Wow, a disappointment for sure at this point. Looks like a long season.

just to shut you up for a bit..red river just beat north for the second time tonight.
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:13 pm

red river can be really good, and really bad. they are lead on offense by their talented guards. sometimes they get away from inside game and take to many 3s. if they can balance their shots between inside game and 3s like they did against north tonight they will be one of the best in the east
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby roundem6 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:46 pm

RR 81 North 72... North made a push at the end but for some reason Savy wasnt that guy taking the shots towards the end. He hits a 3 and then his teammates want to be the hero.. Red River has North's number just like WF has RR's and FN has WF's. Should be a very interesting EDC tourney.. However, still think its North vs. WF for the EDC championship because RR has shot extremely well 2 games against North this year and then when I watched them against WF, they were terrible.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bbjunkie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:39 am

That's good they Beat North..i would like to see them do well. But a round said, they have shot the ball extremely well against North but he said that against WF they were terrible. Ithink this just helps make my point...shooting can be inconsistent..good one game..not so good the next. but to be consistently good, you need to play defense all the time. RR is very talented offensive team, its too bad there coaches don't realize that if they worked and played defense they could be the best in the east. I think the predicition that they could be the best in the east would be accurate and right on if they played defense. Defense can show up every night.
bbjunkie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby roundem6 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Exactly. If they could shoot that well throughout EDC and State they could be a very dangerous team but you cant rely on great offense every night unlike great defense.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:33 am

Some of you need to learn more about basketball. Have you looked at shooting % against RR. Of course teams are going to score more cuz of the speed of the game. It depends on shooting % and rebounding. Also some of you need to get over not making the team or whatever reason you dont like RR. You will have a tough life if all you do is look at the Negatives.
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby roundem6 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:48 pm

Beat North then lose to South, NICE. You need to start watching basketball because it sure looked like the same defense tonight that played against North on Tuesday and it just so happened all those 3s didnt fall tonight and look what happened.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys