Brian Qvale

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby point/center » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:30 am

Fargo Forum reports he signed a letter of intent to play BB at U of Montana
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby paperboy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:44 pm

point/center wrote:    Fargo Forum reports he signed a letter of intent to play BB at U of Montana
I still don't see what these Division 1 schools see in Quale.  It'll be interesting to see how his senior year goes, but I'm betting that it ain't much better than his last year when he struggled at all aspects of the game.  I truly believe that his main drawback is his bad hands...
paperboy

Postby baseball » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:05 pm

paperboy wrote:
point/center wrote:    Fargo Forum reports he signed a letter of intent to play BB at U of Montana
I still don't see what these Division 1 schools see in Quale.  It'll be interesting to see how his senior year goes, but I'm betting that it ain't much better than his last year when he struggled at all aspects of the game.  I truly believe that his main drawback is his bad hands...

probably because he's 6'11"....i think these college coaches are smart enough to work with him on moves and his hands...he'll do alright just cuz of his size and once he bulks up when they make him hit the weights.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:49 am

He can not sign a letter of intent until November but has probably verbally committed. Being 6'11" gets you a scholarship if you can do even just a little bit with the ball. Its all about the defensive side of the ball needing a big guy in the post even as a reserve.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:00 am

The D1 draw on BQ might be a little comparable to Les Jepson from years ago. Brian might still grown....a little more coaching and more work...who knows. What's the word of the week...upside...yeah....he's got that going for him.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballer2 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:35 am

Brian is a very good athlete... there are many 6'10" and 6'11" that just cant play basketball but brian has a great upside and he just has to work on his "game"... maybe drop baseball and just work on it because if he does he will be good...
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby kvrnm » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:11 am

Last edited by kvrnm on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kvrnm
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:29 pm

He could turn into a very impressive defensive player at the d1 level.

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Rock_Chalk_Jayhawk » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:47 am

kvrnm wrote:nuthins gonna change unless he mans up and gets aggresive. there r plenty of juco players who would tool qvale

He needs some "man up" lessons from Golic if he wants to be tough, thats for all the

Mike & Mike listeners/Watchers.
Rock_Chalk_Jayhawk

Postby Notorious » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:01 am

Guys like him grow faster than there skills develop.  It is rare to see a very tall kid develop in high school.  Usually, it takes until about 20 or 21 to start to see some development.  My bet is that he will be a very good player when he matures, fills out, and his skills catch up to his height.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby kvrnm » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:26 pm

Last edited by kvrnm on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kvrnm
NDPreps Starter

Postby Notorious » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:50 am

I agree a little bit with you, but he is only 17/18.....you can't compare him to DI or JUCO players yet.  Give him a year or two in a program and I'd be willing to bet he'll add 30 pounds and look and play more like a DI athlete.
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:36 am

I havent seen Qvale play yet in person. But, I hope he doesnt turn out to be another Jon Godfread. He was 6'10, 245, good in ND because its very rare to see a kid that big.  He went to Utah, transferred and is now at Northern Iowa. He hasnt done squat since he left ND.  Finding guys who are 6'8 and up and are actually naturally coordinated is really a stretch in ND. I can think of two guys recenty(i know theres more, just drawing a blank right now), Evan Lindahl and Tyler Koenig who were good players all through high school and still competed in College ball.  Some big guys need time to mature and adjust, some have it naturally.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Ambassador » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:08 pm

NATURAL TALENT wrote:I havent seen Qvale play yet in person. But, I hope he doesnt turn out to be another Jon Godfread. He was 6'10, 245, good in ND because its very rare to see a kid that big.  He went to Utah, transferred and is now at Northern Iowa. He hasnt done squat since he left ND.  Finding guys who are 6'8 and up and are actually naturally coordinated is really a stretch in ND. I can think of two guys recenty(i know theres more, just drawing a blank right now), Evan Lindahl and Tyler Koenig who were good players all through high school and still competed in College ball.  Some big guys need time to mature and adjust, some have it naturally.

this guy hit this one rite on the head, i agree with him 100% percent he just needs to mature
The Ambassador

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:32 pm

NATURAL TALENT wrote:I havent seen Qvale play yet in person. But, I hope he doesnt turn out to be another Jon Godfread. He was 6'10, 245, good in ND because its very rare to see a kid that big.  He went to Utah, transferred and is now at Northern Iowa. He hasnt done squat since he left ND.  Finding guys who are 6'8 and up and are actually naturally coordinated is really a stretch in ND. I can think of two guys recenty(i know theres more, just drawing a blank right now), Evan Lindahl and Tyler Koenig who were good players all through high school and still competed in College ball.  Some big guys need time to mature and adjust, some have it naturally.

The best big guy in recent memory that went on to do something was 6'10" Doug Swenson from tiny Haliday. Led his team to the State B in 1995. Went to a Juco and then was the starting center for 2 seasons at Creighton as they made a run in the NCAA tournament his senior season and was mentioned on ESPN.com as being a late draft pick in the NBA Draft in i believe 2000 but was never taken.

That was a rather talent laden state B featuring- Swenson, Jim Kleinsauser, Travis Kraft (as an 8th grader), Andrew Leclair (football at Kansas), Hunter Berg, Dan Swift (late MLB draft pick in college) to name a few.
Last edited by InTheKnow on Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby cdub1 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:38 pm

I heard from some of the kids on ECI that he absolutely dominates so he obviously got a lot better.  The only question I have about him is how good will he be without the best guards in the state on his team...even so I still think at worst he will be a 20 12 and 4 player.

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Lamby » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:39 am

No one will be able to come close to the numbers qvale will put up this year. He will dominate every game he is in. Then you will all say yes Brian Qvale does deserve to go to a top D1 school.

Lamby

Postby ndbb » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:51 pm

See, it isn't like it is impossible to take qvale out of a game.  I'll prove it.

Point 1- Press Williston. Make Both Qvales has to work Full Court the whole game.

Point 2- Attempt to get him in Foul Trouble. 

Put those together and If it works I don't see how he is going to be a major force in a game.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Lamby » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:03 pm

It's easier to do on paper than it sounds.

1. He's been running all through the spring and summer and now fall staying in great conditioning so he won't tire as easily in a basketball game.

2. The key word is "attempt" to get him in foul trouble, its not like he isn't disciplined. He isn't going to go out with hack at everyone and everything that comes near him.

So stop Brian will be a much bigger task than you think it will be
Lamby

Postby paperboy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:23 pm

Lamby wrote:It's easier to do on paper than it sounds.

1. He's been running all through the spring and summer and now fall staying in great conditioning so he won't tire as easily in a basketball game.

2. The key word is "attempt" to get him in foul trouble, its not like he isn't disciplined. He isn't going to go out with hack at everyone and everything that comes near him.

So stop Brian will be a much bigger task than you think it will be
Quale has bad hands...you can't teach good hands.
paperboy

Postby cdub1 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:28 pm

I think Kick will have better numbers than Qvale.  I also think Kick is a better high school  player than Qvale, but Qvale is solid at number 2.
Last edited by cdub1 on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:30 pm

ndbb wrote:See, it isn't like it is impossible to take qvale out of a game.  I'll prove it.

Point 1- Press Williston. Make Both Qvales has to work Full Court the whole game.

Point 2- Attempt to get him in Foul Trouble. 

Put those together and If it works I don't see how he is going to be a major force in a game.

We played them be4 and if you press them they just lob it to Qvale at halfcourt and he turns and throws it up.  I dont think he got in foul trouble this season much either.

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby truplaya » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:11 pm

brian qvuale if your no here just lift non stop till basketball season and u will be a force
truplaya

Postby NikeRep » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:50 pm

paperboy[/user] wrote: [/b]
[quote][b][user=26]point/center wrote:
    Fargo Forum reports he signed a letter of intent to play BB at U of Montana
[/quote]

I do. Hes 6'10"+ with a decent frame. Finishes well around the hoop, has huge potential and great upside. He could be a special player for UM. Also joining 6'10" SF/PF Derek Selvig this may be UM's be class in a while.

I see as much basketball as anyone and at the highest levels for high school and college. I personally thought he'd go to a bigger program. When you're 6'8"-6'9"+(especially 6'11" like Qvale) its not about what you have right now. Hes probably 17. Its about what the college thinks he can develop you into in a few years or by the time you're needed to contribute on your college team. Bigs are all about potential. You cant coach size and you cant coach athleticism. His athleticism might be suapect but he has size for sure. He'll be solid for UM.

Congrats to him and his family
NikeRep
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ballplayer15 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:45 pm

hes big and cordinated which equals potential
ballplayer15

Next

Return to Boys