Fargo South Bruins....

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Fargo South Bruins....

Postby baseball fan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:48 am

I agree those are some good players "lost" I would not include Pitia in that mix as he has not done anything even close to what the others have and would be average at best at either school.
baseball fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GFRR99 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:25 pm

baseball fan wrote:I agree those are some good players "lost" I would not include Pitia in that mix as he has not done anything even close to what the others have and would be average at best at either school.

although peter hasnt been doing as good as most would have thought, in my opinion he would still be one of the best player on south and would have started for them the past 2 years. calling peter average compared to the players playing south the past 2 years is just plain dumb. north has had more quality players and that has limited peter's time. he plays his role and does a good job off the bench.
however i dont think mclachlans transfer to north has paid off because he didnt get any playing time last year and has a very very limited role this year. but i think he did it cause peter and nik were his best friends
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby teamramrod » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:05 pm

GFRR99 wrote:
baseball fan wrote:I agree those are some good players "lost" I would not include Pitia in that mix as he has not done anything even close to what the others have and would be average at best at either school.

although peter hasnt been doing as good as most would have thought, in my opinion he would still be one of the best player on south and would have started for them the past 2 years. calling peter average compared to the players playing south the past 2 years is just plain dumb. north has had more quality players and that has limited peter's time. he plays his role and does a good job off the bench.
however i dont think mclachlans transfer to north has paid off because he didnt get any playing time last year and has a very very limited role this year. but i think he did it cause peter and nik were his best friends

i agree with everything you said about peter, he is a solid player that plays real good d and can shoot the three. but mclachlan has been going 2 north schools since elementary school so he never transfered and i think the sav transfer had more to do with the headcoaches then his best friends
teamramrod
NDPreps Reserve

Postby roundem6 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:06 pm

teamramrod wrote:
GFRR99 wrote:

i agree with everything you said about peter, he is a solid player that plays real good d and can shoot the three. but mclachlan has been going 2 north schools since elementary school so he never transfered and i think the sav transfer had more to do with the headcoaches then his best friends

Ramrod is correct on every point made. McLachlan has alwas been at North- May started the transition to North then the others followed.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball fan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Petia I do not think would have started for south for 2 years and as far as 3's numbers dont lie 2 for 15 on the year....I just think he was so good young hard to live up to hype...he is same size I bet as a 7th grader which has changed his game a lot.
baseball fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby groundblind » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:07 pm

I agree the Davies thing will impact South, but don't count them out as a quality team next year. They have a very strong junior class that has consistently been one of the best in EDC as freshman and sophomores. Time will tell if the coach will start to let some of the juniors get any playing time. History shows that he plays his seniors regardless of ability. (Some of this year's seniors would be better had they gotten meaningful minutes on varsity last year.)
groundblind
NDPreps Reserve

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:20 am

groundblind wrote:I agree the Davies thing will impact South, but don't count them out as a quality team next year. They have a very strong junior class that has consistently been one of the best in EDC as freshman and sophomores. Time will tell if the coach will start to let some of the juniors get any playing time. History shows that he plays his seniors regardless of ability. (Some of this year's seniors would be better had they gotten meaningful minutes on varsity last year.)

well there not very good this year, so how are they going to be that good when they lose players to another school?
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:34 am

i am legend wrote:
groundblind wrote:I agree the Davies thing will impact South, but don't count them out as a quality team next year. They have a very strong junior class that has consistently been one of the best in EDC as freshman and sophomores. Time will tell if the coach will start to let some of the juniors get any playing time. History shows that he plays his seniors regardless of ability. (Some of this year's seniors would be better had they gotten meaningful minutes on varsity last year.)

well there not very good this year, so how are they going to be that good when they lose players to another school?

This years Junior class will all play at South next year, its this years sophomore class that will be split between South and Davies. South does have a good group of Juniors.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i am legend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:41 am

bruins44 wrote:
i am legend wrote:

This years Junior class will all play at South next year, its this years sophomore class that will be split between South and Davies. South does have a good group of Juniors.

oh ok. well hopefully they get back, cuz it just seems weird not having south near the top.
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Home Run » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:02 pm

If you follow my posts, I having constantly tried to promote Fargo South as a legitimate contender. However, their continued struggles are a concern. Again, I live too far away to be in the know. Therefore could someone please explain to me which current junior players from South are in the rotation? To my knowledge, it is mostly a senior rotation. Or, at the very least, the seniors are the focal players of this year's team? Or am I incorrect with this assessment?

The reason that I ask is if the juniors are pretty good then why don't they see more time. I am not seeking an answer that blames the coach, philosophy, or program, but rather what evidence is there that the Fargo South junior class will be fairly competitive next year providing more optimism from the South fan base

Last question, can North Dakota coaches work with their players during the summer months? For example, Minnesota allows their coaches to work with their players as long as they want with the exception of the July 4th week. Can this same type of practice be employed by North Dakota coaches? If so, do quite a few of the coaches follow this trend?

Apologies for the long and somewhat random posts. Thanks for any input that may be provided to an inquiring fan from afar of North Dakota.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:14 pm

They can work with them in the summer but can't make anything mandatory. I know Century had open gyms four or five days a week in the morning, with a lot of skill development. Coaches are not supposed to be able to to work on team skills, like plays and stuff, but they can do individual stuff. And nothing can be "mandatory." But all the coaches find ways to work around these rules anyway.

I actually have heard South put in a lot of work over the summer in hopes of not being like last year.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Home Run » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:29 pm

Kind of weird that they can work on skill development but not offensive sets or scrimmage? How about team camps? Can the varsity coach "coach" his team in one of these summer team camps? Do the coaches and players sign a waiver stating that they weren't pressured into attending these "summer practices". This is what Minnesota does with all their student-athletes. I feel that it has been pretty beneficial for them to do this. I hope that North Dakota will choose this route as well in the very near future. Last question, what about the expansion of the basketball season? I think the North Dakota season is real short or perhaps it's just I'm a fan of it and it seems shorter than the rest of the states.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate any and everyone's thoughts on this matter.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:35 pm

I think each team gets 3 team camps coached by the varsity coach, and the rest have to be done by other people. I could be a little off on this. And by skill development, I'm talking things like shooting camp, etc.

The coaches can pressure you into doing things, they just can't make it mandatory. They pretty much can though, because they can cut the people that don't put in the work.

I know my senior year, we had a new coach. And he wasn't allowed to teach us our offense until practice started, but he could show us where he found it and we had to teach ourselves.

And the season seems pretty short compared to bigger states. Max here is around 27 games, where I see many teams with records like 39-0, 36-7, etc. But that could be because of lower funds in Class B and less teams in Class A. Not sure on this one.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoops4lyf40 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:12 pm

Home Run wrote:If you follow my posts, I having constantly tried to promote Fargo South as a legitimate contender. However, their continued struggles are a concern. Again, I live too far away to be in the know. Therefore could someone please explain to me which current junior players from South are in the rotation? To my knowledge, it is mostly a senior rotation. Or, at the very least, the seniors are the focal players of this year's team? Or am I incorrect with this assessment?

The reason that I ask is if the juniors are pretty good then why don't they see more time. I am not seeking an answer that blames the coach, philosophy, or program, but rather what evidence is there that the Fargo South junior class will be fairly competitive next year providing more optimism from the South fan base

Last question, can North Dakota coaches work with their players during the summer months? For example, Minnesota allows their coaches to work with their players as long as they want with the exception of the July 4th week. Can this same type of practice be employed by North Dakota coaches? If so, do quite a few of the coaches follow this trend?

Apologies for the long and somewhat random posts. Thanks for any input that may be provided to an inquiring fan from afar of North Dakota.

There are 3 juniors for south that play every game. Andrew Okland is varsity only. He plays more than Frank Rutter does but just doesn't start (senior). Ronald Kazane plays 2 halfs varsity and 1 half jv. and David Charles plays one half varsity and 2 halfs jv. David Ernst plays every now and then, but should be playing alot more that he has been. Taylor Parker has been getting a bit of varsity playing time. Not as much as the previous listed though.Brock Larson also gets in the game everynow and then. Jaden Radcliffe, Brady Horner, and Gabe Deng rarely get playing time.
hoops4lyf40
NDPreps Starter

Postby Home Run » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks for the information. How far do they go in terms of depth? 8 spots, 9 spots, etc. What offense or do they run? This may dictate the substitution pattern as well. By their scores, they seem to be more ball control type of team rather than "run & gun". Is this a correct assessment? Does Ernst play JV as well? How is he doing there based on the fact that you think he should play more? No sarcasm intended; just looking for answers. Thanks.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Postby groundblind » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Ernst does great in JV - not sure his stats. When he is in the varsity games, he plays good defense, rebounds and doesn't turn the ball over. South has looked good the few times they have had Ernst and Okland in the game at the same time. They usually play 8 with Okland, Kazane and Skonseng getting regular minutes. Ernst and Charles only get in for spot substitutions.
groundblind
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Home Run » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:33 am

South lost to an ever improving Moorhead team tonight by a score of 86 to 68. Players scoring for South were as follows: T. Poss 21, Shaw 14, Okland 11, McGillis 7, Parker 4, Deng 4, Kazane 3, Skonseng 2, Larson 2. Not a bad loss considering Moorhead is starting to play much better.

No Wawers or Rutter in the scoring column. I was told earlier that they had about an 8 man rotation. These players account for 9 players. I understand that with a lopsided win comes more playing time for more players. Anybody at the game? Or can tell me more about the game than the little bit offered on the online Forum website?

How about Wawers or Rutter's status? I thought both of these players would be up in scoring this year due to varsity time as juniors and taking the next step as Seniors. However, last time they played a MN team in Staples; I didn't see their scoring statistics either. Answers?
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Postby teamramrod » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:33 am

from what ive seen of wawers play he isn't really a scorer hes much more of a solid role player, he plays good d an can handle the ball just never goes to the basket. and rutter i'm not surprised he has been going scoreless, okland should be playing more over him and looking like he might be. its a good moorhead team they played so i wouldnt take the loss so heavily. should be interesting to see how they fair against north next week
teamramrod
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bruins44 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:35 am

Home Run wrote:South lost to an ever improving Moorhead team tonight by a score of 86 to 68. Players scoring for South were as follows: T. Poss 21, Shaw 14, Okland 11, McGillis 7, Parker 4, Deng 4, Kazane 3, Skonseng 2, Larson 2. Not a bad loss considering Moorhead is starting to play much better.?

How can you say Moorhead is a much improved team, they scores what 30 some points against West Fargo their last game and it was in Moorhead then they go to South and put up 86! How can this not be a bad loss?? The Bruins cant stop anybody! and dont have the players to play the "hurry up and score so we can score" game. Until South starts to play any type of defense they will not contend for a State birth.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby roundem6 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Technically they can contend for a state berth due to the fact that they are 4th in edc right now LOL posting a 3-7.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:39 am

Fargo South is a improved team that has some kids that can score.
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby teamramrod » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:20 pm

ndbasketballfan007 wrote:Fargo South is a improved team that has some kids that can score.

how can you say they are much improved when they have lost 2 outta their last 3 games and only beaten wahpeton central and dl
teamramrod
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Home Run » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:16 pm

teamramrod wrote:from what ive seen of wawers play he isn't really a scorer hes much more of a solid role player, he plays good d an can handle the ball just never goes to the basket. and rutter i'm not surprised he has been going scoreless, okland should be playing more over him and looking like he might be. its a good moorhead team they played so i wouldnt take the loss so heavily. should be interesting to see how they fair against north next week

No sarcasm intended in any way. Just curious why the change of heart from less than a week ago. This message seems more positive about South and their future then your most recent post. Again, just seeking your input and clarification.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Postby teamramrod » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:24 pm

Home Run wrote:
teamramrod wrote:from what ive seen of wawers play he isn't really a scorer hes much more of a solid role player, he plays good d an can handle the ball just never goes to the basket. and rutter i'm not surprised he has been going scoreless, okland should be playing more over him and looking like he might be. its a good moorhead team they played so i wouldnt take the loss so heavily. should be interesting to see how they fair against north next week

No sarcasm intended in any way. Just curious why the change of heart from less than a week ago. This message seems more positive about South and their future then your most recent post. Again, just seeking your input and clarification.

your right it is a little different. i thought they were starting to turn the season around, they do have talent these guys have been playing together for a couple years now. and being they are 4th in the EDC they gotta shot. but to say they are very improved i think would be an overstatement, they play north tomorrow so we will see if they can prove they are able to stick with the top 3
teamramrod
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Home Run » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Great Response. Thanks for the answer and clarification.

I agree that they can be a frustrating team to pull for with the inconsistencies from not only game to game, but from half to half as well. However, I'm still going to hold strong with support and continue with the prediction of a state tourney bid for this team.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys