Davies High School

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Davies High School

Postby Home Run » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:08 am

Anybody know who the new sophomore coaches at Davies High School will be. Has the district named an athletic director there yet? It seems with football right around the corner that coaches should be in place at this point in the season. I live out of the area so I was wondering where these sophomore and freshmen teams will practice during the course of the school year. All late practices, multiple practice facilities, same time as South? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Re: Davies High School

Postby Baller » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:35 pm

From my understanding, coaches are in place but I do not remember who they are for football. Athletic director has not been named but Lenny Ohlhauser at SCII and the new principal JEff Schatz are doing the duties thus far. practices will be held at both south high and discovery for football and South High, Discovery, and SCII for other sports until Davies facilities are built which is at least a season away.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Greg Stompro is listed as the coach for their summer league team. No idea if he is the regular season coach.

edit: should have mentioned girls basketball
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:35 am

I have a question for the people in the Fargo, how is Davies High going to effect the Fargo school system in sports? I understand South will be effected so, who will have to go over this year? Anyone we've heard of yet?
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:48 am

No one you have heard of yet. Last year they were split as freshman and this year they will be split at sophs and freshman and on down.

Soph boys coach is bart manson

girls is tonah safranski

These are not guaranteed to be the head coaches come next year but they are the soph coaches for davies.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Baller wrote:No one you have heard of yet. Last year they were split as freshman and this year they will be split at sophs and freshman and on down.

Soph boys coach is bart manson

girls is tonah safranski

These are not guaranteed to be the head coaches come next year but they are the soph coaches for davies.

Thanks Baller, I was wondering where Bart went. If he's half of his dad, he will do great there.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby bruins44 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Manson was the Fargo South boys sophomore coach last year... he was the GF Red River boys varsity coach for about 5 years before moving to Fargo.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby FSHBruins10 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Mighty-Mouse wrote:I have a question for the people in the Fargo, how is Davies High going to effect the Fargo school system in sports? I understand South will be effected so, who will have to go over this year? Anyone we've heard of yet?

it will greatly affect Fargo South...not so much North obviously. South will lose A LOT of talent for a good majority of their sports and within a couple years, Davies will have a very stong athletic system IMO. Next year is when Davies starts Varsity and it will be a very long year for them. The oldest anyone will be will be a junior on the team
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:38 am

I believe Davies will have a good solid program in a few years with Mason at the lead for their program.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby bruins44 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:23 am

Mighty-Mouse wrote:I believe Davies will have a good solid program in a few years with Mason at the lead for their program.

Manson is the sophomore Davies coach, not the head coach. The position of head coach will be opened up after the basketball season is over.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:53 am

bruins44 wrote:
Mighty-Mouse wrote:I believe Davies will have a good solid program in a few years with Mason at the lead for their program.

Manson is the sophomore Davies coach, not the head coach. The position of head coach will be opened up after the basketball season is over.

Thanks Bruin for the update. IMO he would be one of the best candidates for the HC position for them. This would be a great way to bring up a new program.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Home Run » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:05 pm

How about Juno Pintar? Or does he have too many ties in the Bismarck area? Plus I believe Coach Hendrickson would want to coach his son at Davies. Therefore shouldn't we be looking at the very real possibility of a new coach at Fargo South.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Home Run wrote:How about Juno Pintar? Or does he have too many ties in the Bismarck area? Plus I believe Coach Hendrickson would want to coach his son at Davies. Therefore shouldn't we be looking at the very real possibility of a new coach at Fargo South.

My question with Juno is he willing to step down to high school from a D2 college school? IMO I believe he would be a great HS coach but this would not be a forward progression for his career.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Home Run wrote:How about Juno Pintar? Or does he have too many ties in the Bismarck area? Plus I believe Coach Hendrickson would want to coach his son at Davies. Therefore shouldn't we be looking at the very real possibility of a new coach at Fargo South.

HEndrickson did NOTHING at south....why would they give him DAvies?
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Home Run » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Baller, I just assumed this would be a natural progression of events. I only wanted to comment on the possibilities that the next coach in Fargo may be from South or possibly North and not necessarily assume a "new" head coach may take over at Davies.

I worry about South's future athletic success due to the construction of the new school. I am over 40 years old and it will be different if not difficult to see South not always on top of the leaderboard or ,at the very least, not even in the hunt for a state championship each and every year. I realize it has been a tough go as of late, but the history and tradition has always been there. I also believe that it has only been a few years since they were last playing for a state title in boys basketball.

Again, not commenting on coaching as much as possibilities that the next coach in Fargo will be from South or North for that matter and not necessarily Davies.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Postby Home Run » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:08 pm

I thought Coach Pintar was a finalist for the Century position. He is originally from Fargo area. Therefore I assumed it would only add up to bring the former Mr. Basketball Finalist and NDSU star back to Fargo.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Isnt Pintar the AD at Standing Rock this year?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Home Run » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Yes, I just checked to see that Mr. Pintar's name is listed at their school's website as activities director.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchool » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:19 pm

Hey Homerun-

I can understand your frustration with not seeing South at the top, but also realize that they are now on a level playing field with the other schools as far as enrollment numbers. By adding Davies it makes the rest of East much more competitive because South no longer has a huge advantage due to sheer numbers.
Also other than the Dobmeier years South has never contended for a state title under Henry, and I don't believe they ever will, and no there will be no natural progression. The position is open to everyone.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby Home Run » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:16 pm

I am not frustrated over the last couple of years at all. I just find it different more than anything else. I guess I was so accustomed to seeing South at the top when I was a kid that it is difficult to see tradition replaced by things such as enrollemnt, redistricting, etc. Please note that I don't blame coaching whatsoever. I think that is unfair which is not the intent of this posts or even this site for that matter. As I said earlier, I follow from this site and read the forum online to keep in touch with North Dakota basketball. I don't live in the region anymore, but I do enjoy learning and keeping in touch with North Dakota basketball. I guess I just assumed that Coach Hendrickson would get the job at Davies due to the fact that he already works in the district and for personal/professional reasons would move to the newer building where members of this site have stated more of the South basketball players would be attending in the next few years.

I also wrote this in another posts, but I noticed Wawers wasn't in the scoring column vs. Moorhead. Did he get injured? I really feel that he could be a very productive player this year. Comments, thoughts?

By the way, it is nice to see more and more acitivity taking place on this site. I certainly prefer this site over so many others due to the enthusiasm and civil discourse that I can find here.
Home Run
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:57 pm

Wawers gave up on a play last night and was yelling at the refs. Knowing Hendrickson, I dont see him playing much the rest of the year unless an attitude changes. As for the natural progession of things, I see Hendrickson being done and new coaches at both Davies and South. Just an opinion.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys