West Underclassmen

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

West Underclassmen

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:03 am

I'm doing a fun project. Rate your top 10 freshmen/sophomores from the WDA. They need not be on varsity. Please do not include Joe Hanstad or Jesse Crosby in your rankings.

Example.

1. John Smith-BHS
2. Tim Johnson-DHS
3. Charles Rogers-DHS

Thank you.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Re: West Underclassmen

Postby King James » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:14 am

1. Dexter Werner BHS
2 Jarl Abrahamson DHS
3 Max Murphy Minot
4 Nate Moody DHS
5 Jordan Kleinjan BHS
6 Leighton Talmadge BHS
7 Dewayne Liggins BHS
8 Andre Maund CHS
9 Jaxon Fitterer BHS
10 Devin Coyle MHS
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:37 am

King James wrote:1. Dexter Werner BHS
2 Jarl Abrahamson DHS
3 Max Murphy Minot
4 Nate Moody DHS
5 Jordan Kleinjan BHS
6 Leighton Talmadge BHS
7 Dewayne Liggins BHS
8 Andre Maund CHS
9 Jaxon Fitterer BHS
10 Devin Coyle MHS

I like your top 4. You are looking through a maroon eye though. Simply as an example, Ledger should be on this list for sure.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby King James » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Haha yeah well i practice with them everyday i know what i see. But yeah ledger instead of Maund maybe.
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:38 pm

Here's a spin on things.

Sophomore Tournament Championship---Mandan 89 Bismarck 87

Coyle had 30.
Janz had 22.

Liggins had 26.
Fitterer had 16.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Oh. Collins is great too.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby dewey11 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:23 am

1.Jarl Abrahamson DHS
2.Dexter Werner BHS
3.Nate Moody DHS
4.Max Murphy Minot HS
5.Ledger CHS
6.Dewayne Liggins (impossible to guard)
7.Devin Coyle MHS
8.Leighton Talmadge BHS
9.Aaron Janz MHS
10.#32 on sophs at BHS (shoots extremely well)
dewey11
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:32 am

dewey11 wrote:1.Jarl Abrahamson DHS
2.Dexter Werner BHS
3.Nate Moody DHS
4.Max Murphy Minot HS
5.Ledger CHS
7.Devin Coyle MHS
8.Leighton Talmadge BHS
9.Aaron Janz MHS

I LOVE IT. Big fan of this list.

Obviously the first 5 play varsity, but I love Liggins and Coyle as the next 2.

Watching them go head to head tonight was simply amazing. Coyle with 30 and Liggins with 26.

I won't brag up Coyle because he is a Mandan kid.

Liggins is a future all stater if he keeps working on his game and the coaching staff allows him to thrive. As a 6'2'' sophomore, he has shown the ability to run the point and is excellent at creating shots for others. Also one of the quickest players in the state, almost at a Donte Smart or Luke Schreiner level. If he continues to work on his jump shot I see him being an impact player next year, with All-WDA (I would say All-State 2nd team, but Werner, Finley, and Thorton all return) potential.

Liggins has D1 athleticism. Rarely do you see high school sophomores throw down big jams on a drive down the lane. The only ones I can think of that have recently are Bryan Kielpinski and Joe Hanstad.

Also, I love his defensive stance. I saw John Wall play defense and how low he got, and I think Liggins is just as low. Not as good obviously, but its still impressive to me.

Very high on this kid.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby dewey11 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:38 am

Gracias Balla45. What is #32 from BHS's name? Liggins is really hard to guard. He's so quick and so lanky it's just ridiculous. He through down a sweet dunk in the Sophomore WDA tourney on Friday.
dewey11
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:41 am

dewey11 wrote:Gracias Balla45. What is #32 from BHS's name? Liggins is really hard to guard. He's so quick and so lanky it's just ridiculous. He through down a sweet dunk in the Sophomore WDA tourney on Friday.

Jared Thunshelle. Big fan.

Liggins's jam was not only amazing, it was in my shoes.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby King James » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:40 am

Fitterer is easily better than Thunshelle. Liggins is the most improved player at BHS this season.
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby demonfan14 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:38 pm

Liggins is amazingly quick if he can work on his jump shot a little bit, him and dexter will be a force in the future
demonfan14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thejoker » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:46 pm

2.Dexter Werner BHS
3.Nate Moody DHS
4.Max Murphy Minot HS
5.Ledger CHS
7.Devin Coyle MHS
8.Leighton Talmadge BHS
9.Aaron Janz MHS

I think you have to put Dexter in front of Jarl. Even though Jarl has better numbers, Dexter is a force, especially on defense. When someone can hold Qvale to a game like he had at Bismarck, they're dang good. I also don't think Janz or Thunshelle should be on the list. King James is right with Fitterer being put ahead of him.
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:06 pm

thejoker wrote:
2.Dexter Werner BHS
3.Nate Moody DHS
4.Max Murphy Minot HS
5.Ledger CHS
7.Devin Coyle MHS
8.Leighton Talmadge BHS
9.Aaron Janz MHS

I think you have to put Dexter in front of Jarl. Even though Jarl has better numbers, Dexter is a force, especially on defense. When someone can hold Qvale to a game like he had at Bismarck, they're dang good. I also don't think Janz or Thunshelle should be on the list. King James is right with Fitterer being put ahead of him.

What does Janz need to do to get some credit. Coming off of a season where he averaged 25 a game on the freshman team, he went to the sophomore team and coming off of a broken ankle averaged 18 a game, and started about 1/2 of the jv games. He would have been purely on the jv/varsity team, but we have 17 upperclassmen.

Coyle can easily move up this list. He dropped 30 on Bismarck's sophomore team and 31 on their jv team. Also was in at the end of the varsity game in Dickinson, in minutes that actually counted.

I will take Erron Collins over Jaxon Fitterer. I have heard that Fitterer is a stud, but I haven't seen it yet.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby demonfan14 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:33 pm

balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
2.Dexter Werner BHS
3.Nate Moody DHS
4.Max Murphy Minot HS
5.Ledger CHS
7.Devin Coyle MHS
8.Leighton Talmadge BHS
9.Aaron Janz MHS

What does Janz need to do to get some credit. Coming off of a season where he averaged 25 a game on the freshman team, he went to the sophomore team and coming off of a broken ankle averaged 18 a game, and started about 1/2 of the jv games. He would have been purely on the jv/varsity team, but we have 17 upperclassmen.

Coyle can easily move up this list. He dropped 30 on Bismarck's sophomore team and 31 on their jv team. Also was in at the end of the varsity game in Dickinson, in minutes that actually counted.

I will take Erron Collins over Jaxon Fitterer. I have heard that Fitterer is a stud, but I haven't seen it yet.
Last edited by demonfan14 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demonfan14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:37 pm

You just called me a liar. Terrible decision. Here are some facts, I was doing the "official book" for the game, so I know with 100% certainty he had 30 in the sophomore championship.

BHS JV Game
http://www.mandan.k12.nd.us/activities/ ... MM_008.htm

2-19-09

The "D" in "D Coyle" stands for Devin.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:48 pm

As for Erron. We will work on his athleticism and strength this off-season. He should come back next year as a much better athlete and an improved point guard. We will be working on the ability to create.

I noticed a sequence where he tried to get by Liggins, and that was not going to happen. So he will need to work on his quickness.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby demonfan14 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:50 pm

balla45 wrote:As for Erron. We will work on his athleticism and strength this off-season. He should come back next year as a much better athlete and an improved point guard. We will be working on the ability to create.

I noticed a sequence where he tried to get by Liggins, and that was not going to happen. So he will need to work on his quickness.
Yes he can shoot the lights out, very solid set shooter
demonfan14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:56 pm

You are a Bismarck guy. Can you think of any western 8th grade traveling teams my team should be worried about?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby demonfan14 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:57 pm

balla45 wrote:You are a Bismarck guy. Can you think of any western 8th grade traveling teams my team should be worried about?
No i think the best one is the Blue Devils who is all on your team?
demonfan14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:59 pm

demonfan14 wrote:
balla45 wrote:You are a Bismarck guy. Can you think of any western 8th grade traveling teams my team should be worried about?

Tyler Clairmont
Erron Collins
Dylan Horner
Layne Johs
Ben Jolliffe
Adam Mittelsteadt
Jake Neubauer
Zach Westberg

Who heads up the Blue Devils? I think this is the team with Unruh and those twins?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby demonfan14 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:10 pm

balla45 wrote:
demonfan14 wrote:

Tyler Clairmont
Erron Collins
Dylan Horner
Layne Johs
Ben Jolliffe
Adam Mittelsteadt
Jake Neubauer
Zach Westberg

Who heads up the Blue Devils? I think this is the team with Unruh and those twins?
Yes and Jake leingang is on this team i believe
demonfan14
NDPreps Reserve

Postby King James » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:57 am

balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
2.Dexter Werner BHS
3.Nate Moody DHS
4.Max Murphy Minot HS
5.Ledger CHS
7.Devin Coyle MHS
8.Leighton Talmadge BHS
9.Aaron Janz MHS

I expected more from Janz this year. This summer from the way some people were talking (you know who you are haha) i thought he was going to be on varsity and i thought Collins would be on jv. But Collins is very good. Janz will be good but yes Mandan has more upperclassmen then they need to have i think. I think they should have brought up some of these young guys right away.
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:53 pm

King James wrote:
balla45 wrote:
thejoker wrote:
2.Dexter Werner BHS
3.Nate Moody DHS
4.Max Murphy Minot HS
5.Ledger CHS
7.Devin Coyle MHS
8.Leighton Talmadge BHS
9.Aaron Janz MHS

I expected more from Janz this year. This summer from the way some people were talking (you know who you are haha) i thought he was going to be on varsity and i thought Collins would be on jv. But Collins is very good. Janz will be good but yes Mandan has more upperclassmen then they need to have i think. I think they should have brought up some of these young guys right away.

I am not a big fan of excuses, but Janz broke his ankle during football, and he is an athleticism player, not a skill player, so that was a big blow. I think if he does not break his ankle, he is a solid varsity contributer.

As for not bringing up the young guys right away, they had to prove that they deserved to be on jv-varsity, and nothing was handed to them, as may happen at some other schools.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thejoker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:55 pm

What do you think about John Hagen(Jamestown sophomore) and Isiah Steinwand(Minot)?
thejoker
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys