One Class, One State Tournament, One State Champ

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby dlsiouxfan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:41 am

Just thought I'd throw this out there.  I feel North Dakota is a small enough state where we don't need two classes for basketball.  I say we put the Class A teams in with their appropriate regions and districts, possibly redraw some of the lines to even out the teams and then have the teams play it out just like Class B does now.  In conjuction with this I say the NDHSAA sanctions a few more weekend tournaments to allow more cross regional play during the regular season.   

Advantages:  Bigger gate for all schools and for regional tournaments, shorter drives during the season for kids, New rivalries (i.e. Dickinson Trinity- Dickinson High, Minot Ryan- Minot, Four Winds- Devils Lake), More exposure for Class B players in the larger Fargo and Bismarck media markets, additionally the kids already play each other in tournaments all summer and spring so why not during the regular season.

Disadvantages:  A few blowouts in games involving overmatched small town programs versus large Class A schools, finding large enough gyms for some of the regional tourneys, no more message board fodder as to whether the Class B champ is better than the Class A champ.
dlsiouxfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:49 pm

Didn't Minnesota used to do that a few years back?  Look at all the classes they have now.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby dlsiouxfan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:05 pm

Yes, they didn't change all that long ago.  I believe Kentucky is the only state that still does it.  I watched an ESPN documentary on it one time and it was pretty sweet the way they did it.  Made for some excellent David vs. Goliath stories. 
dlsiouxfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby MinotBison » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:45 pm

What with declining enrollments, and fewer teams due to more and more co-ops, I think having one class is an excellent idea, one whose time has come.  But I also think pigs will fly before it ever happens.

I've never understood why room could not be made in a team's schedule for the kinds of games mentioned in the previous post.  The kids would love it, the fans would love it, and at least with most of the rivalries, you wouldn't have to miss school.

Simply put, why not?
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby CLASSB2001 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:25 pm

Minnesota had one Sweet 16 tournament about 10 years ago. They only had it like that for a few years -- even though it was one class way back in the 40s-50s. Anyway, Minneapolis North(who's point guard Khalid El-Amin played for UCONN in '99) won the one class tournament two years in a row. They beat Fertile-Beltrami(two towns about the size of Sawyer) by about 30 or so. Now that was David vs. Goliath. Now there's 4 classes and 30 different team trophies so all the kids don't feel like failures.   
CLASSB2001
NDPreps Reserve

Postby CLASSB2001 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:33 pm

So how many Class B schools would have won a state title with just one class?

May-Port CG with the Kyle and Craig Nelson?  MPCG in the mid 90's? Minot Ryan in '94? Carrington '95?  I honestly think those teams would have the only legit shot.  North, Minot and Williston would have handled Trinity this year.  Once every 3-4 years a Class B team would have a chance.  

CLASSB2001
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:44 pm

I say you keep each class and have no state tournament for each but have one huge tournament like the NCAA.  All the Class A teams get automatic berths so do the district champs and the rest are at large.  Have one huge 64 team tournament.  That would be pretty interesting.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby MinotBison » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:55 pm

Ming01 wrote:I say you keep each class and have no state tournament for each but have one huge tournament like the NCAA.  All the Class A teams get automatic berths so do the district champs and the rest are at large.  Have one huge 64 team tournament.  That would be pretty imteresting.

That's one option worth thinking about.  Anyone else?
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:55 pm

I think you will see a 3 class system before you will see one class. If you read the class B basketball forum fans don't like the Trinitys and Bishop Ryans in class B so I don't think they are gonna wanna go for just one class. I like it the way it is right now but thats just me.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsioux » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:10 pm

I think it's a great idea to have only one class. Then if you won the title you wouldnt be just class A or class B champs, but champions of all North Dakota.

And just a side note, im not sure, but i believe that its New Hampshire that's the only state with one class, I think Kentucky switched about 5 years ago.
ndsioux

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:58 pm

1 class in ND, no way. How do you compare a Warwick, a Hazen, a Wilton, a Harvey, an Ashley, a Turtle Lake Mercer etc to a class A school? NEVER WILL HAPPEN.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby theefollman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:32 am

I would just have to say if you would want 1 high school division your flippin crazy. Around the Lake Region of Devils Lake there is a holiday tournament and DL always has there JV in it. They took 2nd place the past 2 years and the year before that they took 3rd against a bunch of class B teams from around here. How would that be even fun for class B teams to play a Class A varsity when they cant even beat the JV team. So in my case that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. END THIS TOPIC!!
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Batman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:39 am

I agree that it's probably not a great idea for the state considering we were almost going to a 3 class system.  However no one is forcing anybody to read or comment about this topic, that is up to you.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNC1 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:22 am

I dont like the one class but i think the class B champs should play the class A to determine the real State Champs.

Last edited by UNC1 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNC1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Fritoman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:39 am

Has there ever been any talk on having a shootout between the A and B champions?  Or even another tourney with the top 4 out of A and B.
Fritoman
NDPreps Starter

Postby klg_11 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:56 pm

that would be awesome and very interesting to watch! i would be at those games every year. even better than either of the state tourneys! east west duel with top 4 teams from both!:box2::duel:but not to sure if only one class is a good idea
Last edited by klg_11 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klg_11

Postby twinsfan34 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:34 pm

I don't think we are there yet for a single class in basketball.  There are still several smaller Class B schools out there that I honestly don't think could match up with Class A schools.  A previous post in this thread mentioned declining enrollments. That trend appears like it will continue for the forseable future, so I can see a single class for basketball someday just not now.

However, I really do like the idea of an end-of-the-year "shootout" between the Class A & B champions.  Now that the boys' & girls' seasons are both in the winter, there could be a girls game and boys game on the same night.  It could be similar to the Lions All-Star Game and make it for charity.
twinsfan34

Return to Boys