What happened to Devils Lake??

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:11 am

Was anyone at the Devils Lake game who can shed some light on how the heck they lost to North?  All I saw is the final score and that Travis Mertens had 38 points and 21 boards which makes me wonder how they came out on the losing end. 

They are still in it though and hopefully they can bounce back strong today and move on to state.  It'd be a shame to have the type of season they've had and not get in to state but I'm sure they'll come back today and dominate. 

The Natural
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby ndfan » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:58 am

60 seconds left Central up 1 over DL.... :shock:
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:00 pm

DL up 1 with 30 seconds left central ball
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:01 pm

How bout them DL boys now? Wow, congrats Central!!!!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:02 pm

CENTRAL KNOCKS OUT DEVILS LAKE.... 56-54... Somebody hit 3 for win
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby MinotBison » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:05 pm

Amazing.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:09 pm

Andrew Schultz hit the three point basket to win the game with like 10 seconds left. Mertens had a couple chances to tie game. Central had as much as a 9 pt lead in game. WOW is all i gotta say, Congrats to Central on making it to state well deserved.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:11 pm

[user=20]ndfan[/user] wrote:
Andrew Schultz hit the three point basket to win the game with like 10 seconds left. Mertens had a couple chances to tie game. Central had as much as a 9 pt lead in game. WOW is all i gotta say, Congrats to Central on making it to state well deserved.

Indeed. Great effort Central boys. Devils Lake shot 28 free throws, and Central shot 4. I'd find it a stretch to blame the refereeing for this loss. This is exactly what I meant when I said tournament time is crazy. Take nothing for granted.

*Edit for spelling.
Last edited by 1337 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby joey32 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:58 pm

[font=times new roman]Devils Lake had a great regular season. It is really a shame that they did'nt make it to state. I'll hate to be one them DL fans just about right now, but gongrats to Travis Mertens I think with that 38 point effort against North he locked up the Mr.Basketball accolade.[/font]

[font=times new roman][/font] 
joey32

Postby 1337 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:20 pm

[user=297]joey32[/user] wrote:
I'll hate to be one them DL fans just about right now, but gongrats to Travis Mertens I think with that 38 point effort against North he locked up the Mr.Basketball accolade.

That I can agree with.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndsubball » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:05 pm

DL just couldnt hit a shot the whole day and actually there was a few calls the refs could have made that were bad because a central guy dove on the ground and traveled and they didnt call it and they made a 3 and if you take that 3 away DL wins and goes to state...But i will give central credit they deseverd to win and Landry just shot lights out..
Last edited by ndsubball on Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndsubball

Postby Ming01 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:39 pm

Can you say choke?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbb » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:57 pm

Mertens scored 38 points, which is impressive, but I would also like to add he got about 30 shots up.  I dont expect a team to win when one guy is expected to score all the points. Lundon had 3 points, 3 points.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:04 pm

Un-Be-Lievable!!!  I can't believe that Devils Lake got bumped by Central, that blows me away.  I feel for guys like Travis Mertens who have worked so hard to get to this point and fall short of even a State tourney berth.  I wouldn't necessarily call it a "choke" but not advancing to the State tournament after being ranked #1 all year has got to be one of the biggest dissappointments or surprises in recent class "A" history!  2 and out in the regionals is not what champions are made of.

I would like to say congrats to Devils Lake on a helluva season and good luck to Mr. Mertens in his future endeavors, I know he will have plenty of hoops ahead of him but I know right now he must be very bummed out along with the whole DL following that has been hyping this whole thing up all year.

Well, time to turn my focus to another top caliber team from the Lake Region area, some of you may have heard of them.... a little undefeated team called the 4 winds Indians, lets hope that at least one of the top area teams makes a state title run.

The Natural
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Postby Indians Alumni » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:17 am

ndsubball wrote:DL just couldnt hit a shot the whole day and actually there was a few calls the refs could have made that were bad because a central guy dove on the ground and traveled and they didnt call it and they made a 3 and if you take that 3 away DL wins and goes to state...But i will give central credit they deseverd to win and Landry just shot lights out..

There are a few calls in any game a ref can make or miss! 

Sounds like Mertens had a heck of a game, too bad the ball didn't bounce his way!  His career has only begun!  He will be fine!  I think the quote was nothing like a little humility to cure an ego!!!  Comes to mind in past conversations.  I guess the "Pride of Lake Region" game will definately be out of question. 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bruins44 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:07 am

Where are all the Devils Lake bloggers now??  This board was full of them a week ago!?  Congrats to all the teams that made the State tournament... its going to be wide open now that the great DL team is out
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 1337 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:13 am

Who was the one that said DL wasn't good enough as a "team" to win it all?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:30 am

I guess my question would be how do you have Mr Basketball on your team go off for 38 point and 21 boards and not come away with a win.  Obviously the main gun showed up to play, so what happened to the rest of the self proclaimed "complete package"?

Sounds like more of a break down in the leadership, than a break down in top performances of your top players!

Suddenly the FW vs DL match-up lost its flare!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndsubball » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:02 pm

Actually when mertens had 38 and 21 a guy from north hit a shot with 1.9 seconds left in the game
ndsubball

Postby bigbballfan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:45 pm

why does everyone think devils lake is a bad team. so what if they lost in the edc tournament. it's not like it hasn't happened to a number one team before. everyone acts like it's the first time it has ever happened. it happened last year to west. except they lost and lost. all i'm saying is put yourself on the devils lake team. everyone said they looked like they didn't want it and they just gave up. if they just gave up and didn't want to go to state why did every single person on that team cry after the game? you can't tell me they aren't good. why did 3 players get put on the EDC team and why did their coach get coach of the year? that shows something. number one teams are never overrated and they never choke, it's just losing to a lower team shows that the lower team such as north came more ready to play and wanted it more. North and Central both put the game in the hands of the right people. both seniors. both help tremendously to their teams and who expected either of them to shoot 3 pointers? I sure didn't. Only being down by one and going up for a 3 pointer takes a lot of guts and I would have never guarded someone to take a 3 pointer, especially a guy like urdman(sorry for spelling). Shultz maybe, but being as quick as he is and clearing out the lane I would have never expected him to take a 3 either. I feel for the DL boys who really had a chance but couldn't meet everyone's expectations. good luck to the rest of the teams who made it to state and to class B teams as well.
only a true basketball player knows the game, how to play it, and what he/she needs to know to do the things that make a team and themselves great
bigbballfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NYYANKS » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:07 pm

Since Erdman was a freshman i knew he would be somthing special. As a junior he proved it carrying North an unexpected team for even state to the State Championship game. I think more people need to give him more credit. I really think he means more to his team than anybody else did. First two games he averaged 25 pts a game including 28 or somthing against DL and that is a helluva game if sombody else doesnt have 38. Good luck north in the state tourny. I really like this team
NYYANKS
NDPreps Starter

Postby BBallersSis » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:23 am

I just have to say that I know the DL boys didn't expect the season to go like this.  And as a sister of one of the players, I didn't see it going this way either, but I am still very proud of them.  It is just to bad that this is the year that it actually could have happened and it didn't due to several factors.  I think that in the end, we are all still very proud to say that those boys are from Devils Lake.
BBallersSis

Postby big_tyme_hockey » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:18 pm

Well yeah, I'd be proud if I had a brother on that team as well, or if I was one of the players. But I'm proud to say that I know most of those guys.
big_tyme_hockey

Return to Boys