Class A basketball

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby gonzaga » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:37 pm

I think is was absoutlely demeaning to post the scoring results for the Mr. Basketball voting. It served no purpose and I would imagine would be very embarrasing for people who should have be proud of what they accomplished in their career. Who really cares who was actually 2nd -last. No purpose except to diminish what was accomplished..

I could not believe that either of the Packineaus  was not a Mr. Basketball candidate, the combination of Packineaus and Young Bird would have been Class A material at most schools. Gamers that is what those boys are. What a thrill to watch them play.
Last edited by gonzaga on Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love to watch other people run!!!!
gonzaga
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:46 pm

gonzaga wrote:I think is was absoutlely demeaning to post the scoring results for the Mr. Basketball voting. It served no purpose and I would imagine would be very embarrasing for people who should have be proud of what they accomplished in their career. Who really cares who was actually 2nd -last. No purpose except to diminish what was accomplished..

I could not believe that either of the Packineaus  was not a Mr. Basketball candidate, the combination of Packineaus and Young Bird would have been Class A material at most schools. Gamers that is what those boys are. What a thrill to watch them play.

me personally if i wuz up for mr basketball and got 1 vote i would be thrilled and would want everyone to know about it

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby DeuceTrey » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:50 pm

i think it is a good thing that they post the results. people like to see if the voting was close or if it was a landslide, at least i know i do.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsperson » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:13 pm

gonzaga wrote:I think is was absoutlely demeaning to post the scoring results for the Mr. Basketball voting. It served no purpose and I would imagine would be very embarrasing for people who should have be proud of what they accomplished in their career. Who really cares who was actually 2nd -last. No purpose except to diminish what was accomplished..

That's one of the dumber posts I've ever seen on here. That's like saying they shouldn't have put the score of the Rockets-Sixers game tonight on ESPN because the Sixers lost by 50 and it was embarassing to the team. The general purpose of the media is to inform people of the facts even if that includes the fact that an excellent basketball player such as Jordan Wilhelm only received 2 points in the voting.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby True Fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:19 am

cdub1 wrote:

me personally if i wuz up for mr basketball and got 1 vote i would be thrilled and would want everyone to know about it

Good point!  I would be thrilled to just be mentioned in a group of elite athletes.
True Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gonzaga » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:32 am

The voting results are not news, it is strictly opinion. It serves no purpose. Using the score of a basketball game is like apples and oranges. A competition one on one needs a score to determine a winner. It is a fact that a basket went in a hoop, it is not someones opinion on whether or not it would have went in. The only way to determine by actual means and not by statistical means would be to have them play horse  and that my friend ,will never happen. We as the public do not have to know every thing about everything. If you are going to publish the  nominees results then you should also publish who voted, the criteria used, and there expertise in determing someones else's value. I still think it is demeaning to the other candidates. I think the right player won, that is my opinion, but I do not think we needed to know that he crushed all the other candidates.. Not necessary!
Last edited by gonzaga on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gonzaga
NDPreps Reserve

Postby klg_11 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:06 am

So ur saying of the voting is strictly opinion it doesnt matter. So basically ur demeaning the whole idea of mr. basketball. Saying mr. basketball is only some peoples opinion that know nothing about how good the basketball players are they just figured hey he's tall lets give it to him,.

The voters know what they are doing and receiving only two votes should not be demeaning especially on the year there is 7 candidates. i think to be a candidate is an honor. I think the public should be able to see how close it was.  If Kick had lost by 2 votes wouldnt that be nice to see. To know that it was that hard of a decision.
klg_11

Postby klg_11 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:13 am

does it honestly bother you or is it the fact that it was wilhelm at the bottom. say if it would have been qvale at the bottom and wilhelm at the top. would u be arguing this point HONESTLY!
klg_11

Postby jordanpippen » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:18 am

Now now ladies
jordanpippen
NDPreps Reserve

Postby klg_11 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:21 am

jordanpippen wrote:Now now ladies

[user=957]:duel:[/user]
klg_11

Postby gonzaga » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:28 am

lets see if you understand this:

Statistics are kept for each player who steps on the floor in a basketball game. Those are compiled and used as a reference to determine who the best statistical players are, the stats do not take into consideration the quality of the teams you played. Some districts, regions, are very weak while others are very competitive. It would be incredibly easy to score at will against some of the smaller teams in the state, as I am from class b country and have watched over 400 basketball games in my fan career, I have seen  this occur on a regular basis. There was only 1 candidate this year who was a Mc. Donalds all american, he was highly recruited by many D1 teams and played against almost all of his fellow candidates. He was also statistically exrememely sound. The right guy won. If you are not allowed to throw your own hat into the Mr. Basketball ring and you are placed their by others to honor you, then I think simply telling us who won is enough said. Most things in life are done on a need to know basis, and this we did not need to know.

Keep in the mind also, that the best players in the state were not necessarily candidates, because if there was not a Packineau in the field then it might not have been a legitimate field, that is just my opinion. They{along with Rudy} lead there team to a state berth last year and this year dominated every other player  on their way to the State Championship. If you know anything about basketball then you should be wondering aloud why the name was not included in this all- star field of young men.
Last edited by gonzaga on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonzaga
NDPreps Reserve

Postby klg_11 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:33 am

I never said that a Packineau boy shouldnt have been in there and do agree that they were worthy candidates but that wasnt the point right now. but i believe we both know what we are talking about we just dont see eye to eye.

I :surrender:
klg_11

Postby Wildcat » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:41 am

If you are not allowed to throw your own hat into the Mr. Basketball ring and you are placed their by others to honor you, then I think simply telling us who won is enough said. Most things in life are done on a need to know basis, and this we did not need to know.

You are the only one on here that thinks so. I don't see anyone else backing you up. Everything the media does is public, that's the point. So why wouldn't they post the results?

Also, posting who got how many votes keeps people from thinking of any conspiracies between the media. This year was different, but other years when it is close, people want to know how much somebody wins by.

"most things in life are on a need-to-know basis"? This forum is not the military, its for this type of conversation. I don't understand why people log on to a forum and tell people to stop talking about something.

In this case, it's not even negative.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gonzaga » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:50 am

Your post is right on, maybe I was on the debate team too long. But if people like me do not test the waters with people like you, then the conversation turns dull and uninteresting. We will not change each others minds but I have enjoyed the conversation.....:alc:
gonzaga
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gonzaga » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:59 am

I have stated HONESTLY, the right player WON, I am one of the fairest people I know, I am genuinely happy for other people's kids success, I attended both tourneys this year because I like to go and personally congratulate the kids I know that have made it to the BIG SHOW. My ONLY GRIPE  is the posting of the voting results, I do not need to know how old someone is, how much they weigh, their religion or political affiliation. I do not think it mattered, I think if it could possibly be a negative, and has no affect on the final results  then it should be awarded. There are kids who do not get straight A's on the report cards and I do not want the media to tell me that either, it has a negative connotation. I  do realize I am the only one on this forum who feels this way, but I love a good debate.

some FYI

Neil Packineau this year

559 total points                                         39.8% from 3 pt

20.7 pts per game                                     73.2%  free throws

shot 49% from the field                            9.2 rebounds

3.6 steals        1.1 blocks         7.1 Assists

Rudy Young Bird

492 total points  18.2 ppg  62.8 shooting precentage 9.9 rebounds
Last edited by gonzaga on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonzaga
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GFRR99 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:40 pm

gonzaga wrote:I have stated HONESTLY, the right player WON, I am one of the fairest people I know, I am genuinely happy for other people's kids success, I attended both tourneys this year because I like to go and personally congratulate the kids I know that have made it to the BIG SHOW. My ONLY GRIPE  is the posting of the voting results, I do not need to know how old someone is, how much they weigh, their religion or political affiliation. I do not think it mattered, I think if it could possibly be a negative, and has no affect on the final results  then it should be awarded. There are kids who do not get straight A's on the report cards and I do not want the media to tell me that either, it has a negative connotation. I  do realize I am the only one on this forum who feels this way, but I love a good debate.

some FYI

Neil Packineau this year

Rudy Young Bird

where did you find those stats? they dont seem correct
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wildcat » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:51 pm

Gonzaga, you're right that noone cares about report cards, however that compares. But obviously, since people are responding, people DO care about the results of Mr. Basketball.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby threeball » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:41 pm

sportsman20 wrote:
gonzaga wrote:I have stated HONESTLY, the right player WON, I am one of the fairest people I know, I am genuinely happy for other people's kids success, I attended both tourneys this year because I like to go and personally congratulate the kids I know that have made it to the BIG SHOW. My ONLY GRIPE  is the posting of the voting results, I do not need to know how old someone is, how much they weigh, their religion or political affiliation. I do not think it mattered, I think if it could possibly be a negative, and has no affect on the final results  then it should be awarded. There are kids who do not get straight A's on the report cards and I do not want the media to tell me that either, it has a negative connotation. I  do realize I am the only one on this forum who feels this way, but I love a good debate.

some FYI

Neil Packineau this year

Rudy Young Bird

where did you find those stats? they dont seem correct

yea im with sportsman here, do you mean nathaniel? didnt neil miss like 10+ games? how would he still have gotten 559 points..
threeball
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Leech » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:55 pm

How about we don't report popular vote or electoral college results for the next presidential election? That would go over well.

Also, the NCAA should stop ranking teams for the NCAA tourney because Texas A&M Corpus Christie might get their feelings hurt.

This is a bizarre gripe to me but continue if you want.
Leech
NDPreps Reserve

Postby True Fan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:32 pm

klg_11 wrote:does it honestly bother you or is it the fact that it was wilhelm at the bottom. say if it would have been qvale at the bottom and wilhelm at the top. would u be arguing this point HONESTLY!

Like many others have said, it doesnt bother me that they list the votes each player got.  Once again, each player listed obviously deserved it, as the sportscasters and sportswriters of the state have a bit more of a chance to evaluate state talent than the rest of us.  What bothers me is that some idiots on this site use it as a means of ripping on candidates that didn't get that many votes.  Some almost act like they have accomplished more than those 7 Mr. Basketball candidates. 

I do understand their choice of Brian Quale, but like many others, would have changed the order of the other candidates.
True Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:35 pm

personally i think all the voting should be public. everyone's ballot should be public. that way if you are going to home it on a vote or if you are going to vote someone down to serve your own purpose, you can't hide it.

just my two cents.
rep

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:41 pm

where was the voting posted i wouldnt mind seeing how the Class B guys did
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ditka14 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:14 pm

gonzaga wrote:The voting results are not news, it is strictly opinion. It serves no purpose. Using the score of a basketball game is like apples and oranges. A competition one on one needs a score to determine a winner. It is a fact that a basket went in a hoop, it is not someones opinion on whether or not it would have went in. The only way to determine by actual means and not by statistical means would be to have them play horse  and that my friend ,will never happen. We as the public do not have to know every thing about everything. If you are going to publish the  nominees results then you should also publish who voted, the criteria used, and there expertise in determing someones else's value. I still think it is demeaning to the other candidates. I think the right player won, that is my opinion, but I do not think we needed to know that he crushed all the other candidates.. Not necessary!

Its north dakota sportscaster and sport writer from all over the state class A and B, so im guessing its a around 50 people that voted thats going to take up a whole page in the tribune if they told everyones name, votes, and the criteria they used to decide on there votes. There is a reason these people do what they do they see the players the most during the season and are in most cases neutral in there decison. I personally would like to see the points to see if it was close or a landslide. Though it does struggle if your wilhelm recieving 2 points it still not the end of the world.

its okay.....
Ditka14
NDPreps All-State

Postby gonzaga » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:33 pm

exactly super moderator. This is my point exactly... If you expect teenagers to take it like a man, then you should have to publish your vote also....

They selected the right guy, so the process worked, the only thing wrong was posting the entire results, because in all honesty  Quale, Kick, WIlhelm, Behlovek all played against each other numerous times , and the fact that the West Region teams were the teams to make it to the semifinals at the state A tells us that these A players were playing against the best players in the state on a weekly basis.

This voting in no way reflects a candidate for election because these young men do not apply for the job, or throw there hat into the ring,  they are nominated for it by there ability, it is an honor and usually reflects the best.

Thanks for correcting me about Nathaniel

gonzaga
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gonzaga » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:35 pm

the stats are posted at NDHSAA.org  click on  ATHLETIC then click boys basketball, look into region 8 click on Parshall then team stats you will see his completed stats and to the best of my knowledge they are correct. Neil only played in about 16 games that is why is point total was about 280 or so...  not bad for a kid with a broken bone to come back and still do well. I am not only a Wilhelm fan, I have lots of favorites from lots of teams,Austin Vetter, Packineau, Patrick Wolf, Luke Martinez, Young Bird, Elgie, so I am not just whining. I love basketball, not just Class A, ClassB, all basketball, no matter the level.
Last edited by gonzaga on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonzaga
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Boys