Class A vs. Class B

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby trackster » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:13 am

Let's hear what you have to say and lets start the blood bath.
trackster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby trackster » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:15 am

I'm going to start off saying class B has it harder. That's because there are more class B schools in the state than class A school. For example boys basketball class B takes the top team from each region and class A takes the top 4.
trackster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsubball » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:17 am

yah Class B may take one from every region but then they also have eight regions and Class A has to take the top 4 because they only have two regions and not 8 like Class B
ndsubball

Postby brownbomber » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:21 am

class b = no shot clock
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby trackster » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:21 am

That's why class B has it harder. They have to win 3 regional games in a row to make it to state, but class A just has to win their first game and then you get to go to state.
trackster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby trackster » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:23 am

brownbomber wrote:class b = no shot clock

I agree with that class B does need a shot clock because a lot of the teams just waste time and its not even interesting to watch the game. So I would like to classB with a shot clock soon. The only reason they haven't established one yet is because a lot of the smaller class B schools don't have the money put one in.
trackster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby shs01240 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:24 am

class A has to win two games at their respective regional tournaments to qualify for state. IMO class B has it tougher getting to state, but its tougher for a Class A team to actually win the whole thing.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby trackster » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:26 am

Sorry my mistake 2 wins to make it to state not 3 like class B.
trackster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wrestler » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:29 am

trackster wrote:That's why class B has it harder. They have to win 3 regional games in a row to make it to state, but class A just has to win their first game and then you get to go to state.

That's incorrect.  Class A has to win 2 of 3 in any order to get to state. 

It's definitely more difficult to get to state in class B, because of more teams and no room for error.  That should be obvious, but the talent level, quality of play is much better in class A.  This should also be obvious due to larger talent pool to choose from. 

These facts should be indisputable, is there a different point to this topic or is this what you had in mind.
Last edited by Wrestler on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wrestler
NDPreps Starter

Postby brownbomber » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:54 am

look at how many class b schools there are though that makes for more playoffs and what not
I am what I am
brownbomber
NDPreps All-State

Postby BBall dominator » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:12 am

The tournament set up is harder its like Class B districts I feel that Class A talent wise is so much deeper we have a handful of players who would play on a class A team
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan1989 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:36 pm

Wrestler wrote:
trackster wrote:That's why class B has it harder. They have to win 3 regional games in a row to make it to state, but class A just has to win their first game and then you get to go to state.

That's incorrect.  Class A has to win 2 of 3 in any order to get to state. 

It's definitely more difficult to get to state in class B, because of more teams and no room for error.  That should be obvious, but the talent level, quality of play is much better in class A.  This should also be obvious due to larger talent pool to choose from. 

These facts should be indisputable, is there a different point to this topic or is this what you had in mind.
I would totally agree with that..Class B has to win more games but if your a good class b team it is way easier to get far where as a class a team can be good but can still get beat like in the WDA..
sportsfan1989

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:39 pm

i think it is harder to make state in a than in b case in point mandan with arguably the states best player dint make state where shiloh with maybe one player (friesen) who would start varsity in class a did

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wrestler » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:11 pm

This doesn't mean the teams are better in the state B than they are in the state A.  This means it is harder to get into the class B year in and year out.  Every year, the teams that make the class A would dominate the state B, but the teams that make the state B, probably wouldn't even make the state A, which they shouldn't, that is why we have 2 classes.  However it is harder for a class B team to get to the state tournament than it is for a class A.

i.e.  Killdeer has the best team they have had in years (they arguably had 2 of the best players they have ever had on the same team), but is unable to get there.  They may not have even a chance to get there for a number of years again, because even with one of their better teams, they still must be perfect in the regional.  Yet Fargo south for instance has an average team for them (I have no idea, just for arguments sake), yet makes the state A again, and probably will next year as well, either with a great team, or an average team.
Wrestler
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:15 pm

cdub1 wrote: i think it is harder to make state in a than in b case in point mandan with arguably the states best player dint make state where shiloh with maybe one player (friesen) who would start varsity in class a did

That is a very rare case there. That region this year just happend to be down.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:24 pm

Wrestler wrote:This doesn't mean the teams are better in the state B than they are in the state A.  This means it is harder to get into the class B year in and year out.  Every year, the teams that make the class A would dominate the state B, but the teams that make the state B, probably wouldn't even make the state A, which they shouldn't, that is why we have 2 classes.  However it is harder for a class B team to get to the state tournament than it is for a class A.

i.e.  Killdeer has the best team they have had in years (they arguably had 2 of the best players they have ever had on the same team), but is unable to get there.  They may not have even a chance to get there for a number of years again, because even with one of their better teams, they still must be perfect in the regional.  Yet Fargo south for instance has an average team for them (I have no idea, just for arguments sake), yet makes the state A again, and probably will next year as well, either with a great team, or an average team.

i see where u are coming from wut i should have said it is just as hard for a none powerhouse school in class a (powerhouses being south bismarck etc.) as it is for a non powerhouse in b(powerhouses being dt and the like)

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wrestler » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:46 pm

cdub1 wrote:
Wrestler wrote:This doesn't mean the teams are better in the state B than they are in the state A.  This means it is harder to get into the class B year in and year out.  Every year, the teams that make the class A would dominate the state B, but the teams that make the state B, probably wouldn't even make the state A, which they shouldn't, that is why we have 2 classes.  However it is harder for a class B team to get to the state tournament than it is for a class A.

i see where u are coming from wut i should have said it is just as hard for a none powerhouse school in class a (powerhouses being south bismarck etc.) as it is for a non powerhouse in b(powerhouses being dt and the like)
I agree to a point, but there is a 3rd level in class B that almost has no chance of getting to state (regionals would be their goal), such as Belfield, South Heart.  Them getting to state in Region 7 will come about as often as a 50 year flood. jk  I don't know of any class A schools I would compare in that situation.
Wrestler
NDPreps Starter

Postby crossover » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:55 pm

trackster wrote:
brownbomber wrote:class b = no shot clock

I agree with that class B does need a shot clock because a lot of the teams just waste time and its not even interesting to watch the game. So I would like to classB with a shot clock soon. The only reason they haven't established one yet is because a lot of the smaller class B schools don't have the money put one in.

it also makes it harder because if your down 5 with 1 minute left the other team can hold the ball and draw fouls.
crossover
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys