EDC tournament scheduling

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby paperboy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:57 am

I notice that the semi finals and the loser out games for both the boys and girls games at the EDC are scheduled at the same time (actually a half hour apart).  Does anyone else think that this is ridiculous?  Typically during a tournament, fans would like to see ALL the games and not have to try to watch two games at the same time.  I complained about this last year and the year before, but they (EDC officials) just can't get it right.  The WDA does it the right way with the boys and girls semi-finals and loser out games running at different times.  It's a good thing I'm boycotting the Alerus center, the absolute worst venue for a high school basketball tournament.
paperboy

Postby Stromer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:10 am

paperboy wrote:I notice that the semi finals and the loser out games for both the boys and girls games at the EDC are scheduled at the same time (actually a half hour apart).  Does anyone else think that this is ridiculous?  Typically during a tournament, fans would like to see ALL the games and not have to try to watch two games at the same time.  I complained about this last year and the year before, but they (EDC officials) just can't get it right.  The WDA does it the right way with the boys and girls semi-finals and loser out games running at different times.  It's a good thing I'm boycotting the Alerus center, the absolute worst venue for a high school basketball tournament.

Dude its not that bad.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:15 am

I agree that the Alerus is super bad for basketball....but so is the Fargodome.  I like that the boys and girls are together, but the Fargo Civic is great for girls class A basketball
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby paperboy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:40 am

The Fargo Dome is the second worst venue for HS basketball.  In my opinion, both the A and B tournament should always be held at the Bismarck Civic Center, at least until someone builds a basketball arena that is suitable.  The cavernous facilities like the Alerus and Fargo Dome make the tournaments feel like an AAU traveling team tournament.  It's not fair to the players or the fans that they have to participate in a second rate atmosphere for basketball.
paperboy

Postby Stromer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:08 am

If only they would have kept the girls and boys seperate.  One can only hope that the good old days of having seperate EDC tournaments on TV will come back.  The civic is the best environment but if they force both thourneys to be played at the same time, then the Alerus aint too bad.  The football seats are a bit far a way but are ok.  I like the pullout chairs down on the floor.  The environment isn't the rowdiest but you got to play with the cards you were dealt.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sports24 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:47 pm

paperboy wrote:I notice that the semi finals and the loser out games for both the boys and girls games at the EDC are scheduled at the same time (actually a half hour apart).  Does anyone else think that this is ridiculous?  Typically during a tournament, fans would like to see ALL the games and not have to try to watch two games at the same time.  I complained about this last year and the year before, but they (EDC officials) just can't get it right.  The WDA does it the right way with the boys and girls semi-finals and loser out games running at different times.  It's a good thing I'm boycotting the Alerus center, the absolute worst venue for a high school basketball tournament.

I agree...the fargo dome isnt much better but to be fair you have to rotate it thru a few more towns...also why doesnt state ever get played at minot's auditorium?
sports24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:48 pm

same reason it is not played at the Fargo Civic...not enough room for two courts.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby MHSfan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:56 pm

Baller wrote:same reason it is not played at the Fargo Civic...not enough room for two courts.

This kinda sounds the same, but they would have to split up the tourneys between the Aud at Minot and the Dome.  But here is another question?  Why do the boys and girls state tourneys have to be played in the same city?  T.V. reasons?
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:58 pm

MHSfan wrote:
Baller wrote:same reason it is not played at the Fargo Civic...not enough room for two courts.

This kinda sounds the same, but they would have to split up the tourneys between the Aud at Minot and the Dome.  But here is another question?  Why do the boys and girls state tourneys have to be played in the same city?  T.V. reasons?

$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't want to split the fans.  If they went to seperate cities they would have to do seperate weekends too.

Its all about the almighty dollar!!!
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby MHSfan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:01 pm

I guess one solution could be like the class B tourney scedualing with the girls starting their qualifyiers a week earlier.  That could fix it.  Having a state tournament in a facility like the Aud or the Dome in Minot would definately would make the games more fan friendly and exciting, rather than playing in a huge cave like the Alerus or the Fargo Dome.

Just my :2cents:.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby arsnl7 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:10 pm

Last year for State "A" at the Alerus Center wasn't that bad, actually I thought it was convenient that if you sat up high enough you could watch 2 games at the same time.
arsnl7

Postby paperboy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:17 am

Watching two games at one time is ok for the casual fan, but come on, who in their right mind wants to a casual fan?  heck, when I go to the games, I like to see all the action.  In fact, last year when I went to the State A, I asked for a refund (half jokingly) because I wasn't able to watch ALL the games (all the boys games) as they scheduled both semi-final games at the same time!  And, the loser out games, which are actually more important, were on at the same time too!  Only an idiot would schedule them like that.  Two years ago, I asked Ed Lockwood why they did that and he said that if the girls semi's were played at the same time as the boys, then no one would be watching the girls.  Well, to that I say too bad.  If their game isn't entertaining enough to draw any fans, well then they should find something else to do.
paperboy

Postby paperboy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:20 am

MHSfan wrote:I guess one solution could be like the class B tourney scedualing with the girls starting their qualifyiers a week earlier.  That could fix it.  Having a state tournament in a facility like the Aud or the Dome in Minot would definately would make the games more fan friendly and exciting, rather than playing in a huge cave like the Alerus or the Fargo Dome.

This solution makes too much sense for the ND High School Inactivities Board.  To quote the famous philosopher Jimmy Buffett..."...it was so simple it plumb evaded me"
Last edited by paperboy on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
paperboy

Postby WildWarrior » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:57 am

MHSfan wrote:I guess one solution could be like the class B tourney scedualing with the girls starting their qualifyiers a week earlier.  That could fix it.  Having a state tournament in a facility like the Aud or the Dome in Minot would definately would make the games more fan friendly and exciting, rather than playing in a huge cave like the Alerus or the Fargo Dome.

I would guess the big sticking point about having 2 separate tourneys again would be that there is already 5 weekends in a row tied up with tournaments.  Wrestling, hockey, B girls, A boys and girls, and the grand finale, B boys.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby paperboy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:04 am

WildWarrior wrote:

I would guess the big sticking point about having 2 separate tourneys again would be that there is already 5 weekends in a row tied up with tournaments.  Wrestling, hockey, B girls, A boys and girls, and the grand finale, B boys.
And what's wrong with having 5 weekends in a row tied up with tournaments?  heck, EVERY weekend should be tied up with a tournament.  Here's what they should do...stick the Class B girls with the Class B boys, then watch people holler!  ($$$$$$)
I don't think it's fair that the Class A boys and girls have to share a weekend.  And then, TV doesn't even cover the first round games in the A tournament, and those first round games are where you get to know the players and it stimulates interest for the next day's games.  Can't you just wait for the announcer to say..."Here's Justin Beholovek, who scored 43 last night with 12 boards and 9 assists and we're sorry that you missed it."
paperboy

Postby WildWarrior » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:58 pm

paperboy wrote:
WildWarrior wrote:

And what's wrong with having 5 weekends in a row tied up with tournaments?  heck, EVERY weekend should be tied up with a tournament.  Here's what they should do...stick the Class B girls with the Class B boys, then watch people holler!  ($$$$$$)
I don't think it's fair that the Class A boys and girls have to share a weekend.  And then, TV doesn't even cover the first round games in the A tournament, and those first round games are where you get to know the players and it stimulates interest for the next day's games.  Can't you just wait for the announcer to say..."Here's Justin Beholovek, who scored 43 last night with 12 boards and 9 assists and we're sorry that you missed it."
I didn't say there was anything wrong with having 5 weekends in a row tied up.  By the way that is the case already.  Seperate A tourneys would make it 6.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys