EDC Tournament Postponed

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby shs01240 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:24 am

Just got word that Grand Forks has decided to move the tournament back a day.  there is a possibility that the final round games may even be played on next Monday.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND_SportsNut » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:45 am

Thanks for the information, I think it was a good idea to postpone it
ND_SportsNut

Postby roughrider125 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:59 am

What does this do though...isn't it supposed to be worse tomorrow?  I heard it was because Wahpeton couldn't make it...I may be wrong but they better leave pretty soon if they plan to get here by tomorrow. 
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:05 am

Actually roughrider, a lot of teams were having problems.  Devils lake girls were leaving at 11:00 for a 6:30 game and South girls were leaving at 1:00 for a 8:15 game.

Team safety is a big issue when you are looking at bad roads.  Right now the tourney will be played Fri, Sat, Sun.  If the roads are still that bad tomorrow, then they will probably push it back another day.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:17 am

very good call.....there's no game that would ever, ever be more important than the safety of players/fans and coaches.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ghetto*revival » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:35 am

point/center wrote:very good call.....there's no game that would ever, ever be more important than the safety of players/fans and coaches.

tru dat
ghetto*revival

Postby point/center » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:44 am

ghetto*revival wrote:
point/center wrote:very good call.....there's no game that would ever, ever be more important than the safety of players/fans and coaches.

tru dat

peace/out

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby roughrider125 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:05 am

I guess i didn't know that there were other teams not in GF already.  Our administration announced that the reason it was posponed was because Wahpeton called an said they couldn't get there and that all teams were in GF except SHS and Wahp and that SHS was still planning on coming until Wahp decided not to risk it.  I'm not saying safetly isn't important...it's just we knew this storm was coming for how long...why not plan ahead and come a day early?  If it does get worse...and for safety's sake its held off another day...There may be 1 day between EDc and State for the East and that is not really fair to the EDC teams
Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
~Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)
roughrider125
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:46 am

roughrider125 wrote:I guess i didn't know that there were other teams not in GF already.  Our administration announced that the reason it was posponed was because Wahpeton called an said they couldn't get there and that all teams were in GF except SHS and Wahp and that SHS was still planning on coming until Wahp decided not to risk it.  I'm not saying safetly isn't important...it's just we knew this storm was coming for how long...why not plan ahead and come a day early?  If it does get worse...and for safety's sake its held off another day...There may be 1 day between EDc and State for the East and that is not really fair to the EDC teams

I disagree. Do you travel two day's early? Then there's no storm? Safety first, then school, the athletics.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Carl08 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

Wednesday night is not two days early.  And we pretty much knew there was going to be a storm.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Emo Philips
Carl08
NDPreps Starter

Postby Number7 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:17 pm

roughrider125 wrote:I guess i didn't know that there were other teams not in GF already.  Our administration announced that the reason it was posponed was because Wahpeton called an said they couldn't get there and that all teams were in GF except SHS and Wahp and that SHS was still planning on coming until Wahp decided not to risk it.  I'm not saying safetly isn't important...it's just we knew this storm was coming for how long...why not plan ahead and come a day early?  If it does get worse...and for safety's sake its held off another day...There may be 1 day between EDc and State for the East and that is not really fair to the EDC teams

I know for a fact the West Fargo teams had not left for Grand Forks and stayed home like everyone else due to the Wahpeton situation. Now. the tournament oculd very easily be postponed for friday and be played sat, sun, mon or sat, mon, tues.  If games are played on sunday I heard something that it will be the first time since like 1969, but I have no idea how accurate that is
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Stromer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:20 pm

The thing I dislike is that 2 schools are still at home and everyone else is there.  I think if you think it will storm either

A. Require all teams to be in GF yesterday so that the tourney can start on time 
or
B. Make sure no schools come to GF until it is decided that the tourney will start on time. 

Now we have teams in GF who presumably have to spend a night at a hotel while 2 others sleep at home.  Something doesn't seem fair about this.  And if the tourney doesn't start till Sat., which it could since tomorrow doesn't sound the best either and Whap may not be able to come, you have a long weekend in GF for some teams.  Just make sure everyone is on the same page before the storm.
Last edited by Stromer on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndsubball » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:33 pm

Well Devils Lake wasnt and isnt in Grand Forks they were planning on leaving around 11 this morning but didnt now since it got cancelled but thats each team and schools decison to let the teams go a day early
ndsubball

Postby point/center » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:24 pm

I just heard that Fargo North was NOT in Grand Forks either.  I really don't know why any team within 2 hours would need to travel a day ahead. Doesnt make any sense at all. So I guess it's down to Shanley, WF and or South. Was told 3rd hand that WF hadnt left either.

and oh by the way, most school policy is if schoold is called off, like in Devils Lake, the can NOT have extra-curricular activities. Which is categorically good policy. no school, no play.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:35 pm

south had not left....and north and south could not practice because the fargo public called off ALL after school activities.  so if north was not there, that leaves shanley and that would only be ONE non GF team in GF.  Everyone else is sleeping in their own beds!!
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Number7 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:53 pm

point/center wrote:I just heard that Fargo North was NOT in Grand Forks either.  I really don't know why any team within 2 hours would need to travel a day ahead. Doesnt make any sense at all. So I guess it's down to Shanley, WF and or South. Was told 3rd hand that WF hadnt left either.

and oh by the way, most school policy is if schoold is called off, like in Devils Lake, the can NOT have extra-curricular activities. Which is categorically good policy. no school, no play.

yea, that is a major point especially concerning Friday's games with possibility of multiple schools closing down for the day
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby shs01240 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:58 pm

<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1492]Number7[/user] wrote:
point/center wrote:I just heard that Fargo North was NOT in Grand Forks either.  I really don't know why any team within 2 hours would need to travel a day ahead. Doesnt make any sense at all. So I guess it's down to Shanley, WF and or South. Was told 3rd hand that WF hadnt left either.

yea, that is a major point especially concerning Friday's games with possibility of multiple schools closing down for the day
</span>

All shanley players were in school today. Also, Shanley followed the lead of Fargo Public and called off all extracurricuar activities, including basketball practice.
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

shs01240 wrote:<span class="texteditorenhanced">[user=1492]Number7[/user] wrote:

</span>

All shanley players were in school today. Also, Shanley followed the lead of Fargo Public and called off all extracurricuar activities, including basketball practice.

west farog players were in-school but both boys and girls practiced
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby MHSfan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Here is and attachment to the road conditions on the highway today.  The red means that travel is advised not to go and earlier today the whole east side of the state was covered.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:23 pm

Well everything is good now that no teams made the trip.  I was under the impression that some schools maybe had went up earlier to beat the storm.  Everything is fair now.  BTW, I dont see this starting till Saturday.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:39 pm

Stromer wrote:Well everything is good now that no teams made the trip.  I was under the impression that some schools maybe had went up earlier to beat the storm.  Everything is fair now.  BTW, I dont see this starting till Saturday.

I definately agree and with the no-school and extra-curricular thing I am pretty jamestown cancelled school but wtill played in the WDA so i dont know, because wahpeton has cancelled school for tomorrow
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 pm

Stromer wrote:The thing I dislike is that 2 schools are still at home and everyone else is there.  I think if you think it will storm either

A. Require all teams to be in GF yesterday so that the tourney can start on time 
or
B. Make sure no schools come to GF until it is decided that the tourney will start on time. 

Now we have teams in GF who presumably have to spend a night at a hotel while 2 others sleep at home.  Something doesn't seem fair about this.  And if the tourney doesn't start till Sat., which it could since tomorrow doesn't sound the best either and Whap may not be able to come, you have a long weekend in GF for some teams.  Just make sure everyone is on the same page before the storm.
?????????????????????????????????????????

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Stromer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:15 pm

point/center wrote:
Stromer wrote:The thing I dislike is that 2 schools are still at home and everyone else is there.  I think if you think it will storm either

or

?????????????????????????????????????????
After reading roughriders post, I thought everyone was in GF except Whap and Shanley.  Thus I didn't feel it was fair to have some still at home and some stuck in GF.  Thus I outlined what I thought should be done to prevent future incidents.  After furth discussion, I realized that nobody was in GF except the GF teams so the whole post was worthless.
Hater of the NC$$

Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:10 pm

NO SCHOOL friday for Fargo Public, Shanley, oak grove.

Doubt that there will be a tourney until saturday.........
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Number7 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:16 pm

Baller wrote:NO SCHOOL friday for Fargo Public, Shanley, oak grove.

Doubt that there will be a tourney until saturday.........

yea I agree same for west fargo, wahpeton
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys