WDA teams vs. EDC teams

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Spoof_Team » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:16 am

Just an observation, but when WDA fans go on the board, all they talk about is their team's ONE awesome player. (Qvale, Kick, Belohlavek, Wilhelm)

In my opinion the EDC's teams are deeper and have more scoring options than the west. For example:

WF- Farkas, Dye

FS- Hermann, Kareem, Utgaard

Shanley- Elias, Jagim, Bergerson

I'm just saying, if one of the WDA's stars has a terrible night or gets shut down, it's far more difficult for the WDA's best teams to recover and adapt to. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Spoof_Team on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoof_Team
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:33 am

I think you are under that assumption because there's one player getting so much attention but actually every WDA team (top 5) has a couple of other players in the 10-12 ppg range just like the EDC.  You just don't hear about them as much because someone on their team is putting up 30+

Dickinson
Fridley 12.9
Jahner   9.0

Bismarck
Martinez 13.9
Peterson 12.2

Mandan
Benz 11.8
Hoff 11.8

Williston
Goldade 9.39
Schmitz 12.2

Minot
Hornecker 10.2
Anderson   9.61
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ghetto*revival » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:35 am

yes other players on those teams are puttin up numbers but like he said what if their "star" gets shutout or has a bad night 11, 12, 13 pts isnt good enough to carry a team
ghetto*revival

Postby cityleaguer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:17 am

ghetto*revival wrote:yes other players on those teams are puttin up numbers but like he said what if their "star" gets shutout or has a bad night 11, 12, 13 pts isnt good enough to carry a team

Yes, but when those star players don't put up the 30+ points, that's when the rest of the roll players tend to step up. 

For instance, in a recent game in Bismarck, Dickinson's star player Tate Kick was in foul trouble and eventually fouled out and finished with a quiet 20 or so, while most thought the game would be over at that point, their Point guard Marcus Fridley kept them in the game, and scored well above his average of 13 points by putting up 28.

This is just one example, and most other teams in the west can probably tell similar stories about their teams. It's just that there's one player that you CAN rely on to carry the load, and that one dangerous person per team is what makes the West strong.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:27 am

Plus when the star is putting up big numbers the others tend to get less touches and when they're not the others get more of the load shifted to them.  While 10-12 ppg isn't going to carry the day, the 2nd and 3rd guys on the EDC teams aren't averaging any more than that either so the same can be said for them.

Things are pretty equal among all the teams in both regions and I think it will come down to which team has a leader step up and not have that bad game.  I think this is the most evenly matched the teams have been in the state for a long time.  Should be a great couple of weeks.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby squeak63 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:19 am

i think the hole state is pretty equal when it comes to the role players... allmost any team in this state could have a different person but there main role player on any given night... i am just sayin i think the hole state is very equal and the state tourney should be awesome to watch
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby shs01240 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:29 pm

State will be awesome to watch because of the apparent parity amongst all the teams. Just wondering if it would be correct to say that the west has more of a run-and-gun style of play, while the East has much more of an emphasis on defense? I know the East scores are, on average, drastically lower than the west's. I can't vouch for the west but this seems to be the case. If it is true, what kind of games can we expect at state, and which style of play will come out on top?
I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
-Yogi Berra
shs01240
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND_SportsNut » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:44 pm

EDC and WDA brackets will be set after tonights games. I love tourney time.  Who else is pumped up?
ND_SportsNut

Postby Strike3? » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:25 pm

Im pretty pumped
It's a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.
Strike3?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby arsnl7 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Give me some Doritos and Mt. Dew and I'll be set.
arsnl7

Postby sportsfan1989 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:12 am

ghetto*revival wrote:yes other players on those teams are puttin up numbers but like he said what if their "star" gets shutout or has a bad night 11, 12, 13 pts isnt good enough to carry a team
Yeah but how many players in EDC averaging more then that a game..and even if they are the WDA is way tougher to score..I know someones going to get defensive but the bottom line is EDC isn't as good as the WDA
sportsfan1989

Postby member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:09 pm

I think the first round of state will have only South winning a game. WDA will pretty muc hrun threw this tournament the number 5 team in the west could be number one in the EDC.
NDPreps Starter

Postby JR » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:33 pm

Id say just wait till state... i think the east will have a strong showing and its going to be bad when we have a east state champion because then all you guys will realize that the east is just as good as the west i think
"Contact Is King"
JR
NDPreps Starter

Postby thankyou_sir41 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:39 pm

JR wrote:Id say just wait till state... i think the east will have a strong showing and its going to be bad when we have a east state champion because then all you guys will realize that the east is just as good as the west i think

sorry no way
You will not Win cuz i will not Lose
thankyou_sir41
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Dk All Day » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:46 pm

JR wrote:Id say just wait till state... i think the east will have a strong showing and its going to be bad when we have a east state champion because then all you guys will realize that the east is just as good as the west i think

JR were you being serious thier. Because if you were do you even watch basketball? The mandan girls could give some east teams a good run for thier money.
Last edited by Dk All Day on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dk All Day
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:49 pm

Dk All Day wrote:

JR were you being serious thier. Because if you were do you even watch basketball? The mandan girls could give some east teams a good run for thier money.

I DEFINITELY DISAGREE WITH THAT ONE.  It's obvious you are a hockey player.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby #50mandan » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:53 pm

could the mandan girls have a chance against valley city or gf central ?
ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:54 pm

#50mandan wrote:could the mandan girls have a chance against valley city or gf central ?

probably not
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Number7 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:55 pm

first of all we are talking boys b-ball, second member no way minot would be the number 1 team in the EDC, and I partially agree with JR the east will definately compete with the west at state, West Fargo, South, D-Lake, and maybe even Shanley and Red River can win against the likes of Dickinson, Bismarck, Mandan, and Williston   You guys are asking him if he follows basketball, I know for a fact you dont follow EDC basketball cause your talking up the West like everyone else on this site
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Dk All Day » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:08 pm

Ming01 wrote:
Dk All Day wrote:

I DEFINITELY DISAGREE WITH THAT ONE.  It's obvious you are a hockey player.
Its called sarcasm heard of it?
Dk All Day
NDPreps Starter

Postby squeak63 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:27 am

Number7 wrote:first of all we are talking boys b-ball, second member no way minot would be the number 1 team in the EDC, and I partially agree with JR the east will definately compete with the west at state, West Fargo, South, D-Lake, and maybe even Shanley and Red River can win against the likes of Dickinson, Bismarck, Mandan, and Williston   You guys are asking him if he follows basketball, I know for a fact you dont follow EDC basketball cause your talking up the West like everyone else on this site

refresh my memory but how did west fargo do agains't mandan the 3 seed in the wda tournament?
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mr. Me Too » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:45 am

Number7 wrote:first of all we are talking boys b-ball, second member no way minot would be the number 1 team in the EDC, and I partially agree with JR the east will definately compete with the west at state, West Fargo, South, D-Lake, and maybe even Shanley and Red River can win against the likes of Dickinson, Bismarck, Mandan, and Williston   You guys are asking him if he follows basketball, I know for a fact you dont follow EDC basketball cause your talking up the West like everyone else on this site

they couldn't even beat belcourt in there own gym. . .how are they goin' to compete with the bigger stronger teams in the west like you mentioned
-->aMA[z]iNg<--
Mr. Me Too
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:14 am

sqeak63 wrote:

refresh my memory but how did west fargo do agains't mandan the 3 seed in the wda tournament?

that was very early in the year, I wasnt there but from what I heard west fargo shot terribly, but if you want to go that route and that far back I remember Mandan losing to Fargo North (EDC 7 seed) and to South (EDC 2 seed),  everyone has gotten better throughout the year and every team that makes it out of the east will be able to play with the west
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Number7 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:18 am

Mr. Me Too wrote:

they couldn't even beat belcourt in there own gym. . .how are they goin' to compete with the bigger stronger teams in the west like you mentioned

im pretty sure the game was at the alerus and that was the first game of the year, I dont think anyone should base their information off of those games, Red River has beaten some very good teams in the east and if they make it can pull of an upset against the west's top teams
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby Jack » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:42 am

The game was at Red River HS but so what.  C'mon why putting down Belcourt like that..."Couldn't even beat Belcourt--bigger stronger teams."  Turtle Mtn. Braves deserves some respect.  I remember when they never even won games at all for years.
Jack
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to Boys