How stacked is Umary getting...

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Diamond D » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:11 am

How many of these guys have actually committed to U of Mary by signing on the dotted line?  I hate to sound so sinical here, but it seems like many of you on the site think U of Mary is the only school to go to??

Have all of these kids you mentioned taken the ACT yet? 

I am sure DSU, BSC, or Minot State or somebody else is talking with these kids as well. 

One of things that really bothers me about our private schools is the "liberal scholarships" that are available to them.  They know that if you can't make the team, they still have a good percentage chance of keeping you there on campus paying their tuition.  Unlike the state schools who typically have limited funds, so when they offer, they are offering because they are truely interested in you playing for them.

Just my humble opinion.
Diamond D

Postby football07 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:33 am

Next time you write something on here make sure what you are saying has a point or at least asks or answers a question.  What you just wrote makes absolutely no sense.  Because Umary is in a different division, you can only verbally commit, until a certain date.  After that date you can sign on the dotted line. Yes, I am sure that Minot, DSU, Mayville, etc.... were all after these guys, but they must see something they like in Mary.  It might be the fact that they are recruiting the top 4 high school basketball players in the state.  That in its own right is a recruiting tool.  Just my humble opinion.
football07
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:13 am

#1    my humble opinion is that the 2 best sport schools in the state are NDSU and UMary.  I can only speak for Bakkum when i say this that he chose Mary because its the best fit for his style of play and the family ties he has with the college.

#2    if your saying Mary gives out so many scholarships, maybe thats why they went there.  who wouldnt go to college if its being paid for by the college itself.

#3    Like i said about Bakkum having family ties there.....maybe thats why Wilhelm is going there.  He's from Bismarck and maybe didnt wanna be that far away from his family i dont know.

#4   No one said Behovalek and Kick are going to Mary, all that was said is that Mary is looking at them both and neither one is ruling them out.

#5    This has nothing to do with the kids going there but for my curiosity...what do you have against the school.  Its like your sayin Private schools should be D-1 instead of D-2 like they should be class A instead of B.  just a thought...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Diamond D » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:19 am

Because Umary is in a different division, you can only verbally commit, until a certain date.  After that date you can sign on the dotted line.

I am well aware of that, that is why I asked the question.

The point of my post was just that.....All these posts saying these kids are going to U of Mary and yet nobody has signed on the dotted line yet.  Seems little early to call the game don't you think??
It might be the fact that they are recruiting the top 4 high school basketball players in the state. 

Who isn't right now?  I would bet that Minot State, BSC, LRSC, and a few others are recruiting them as well... don't you think?

Next time you write something on here make sure what you are saying has a point or at least asks or answers a question.

I did ask a question.  In fact, I asked two questions.  One of which I knew the answer to, but just threw it out there for those who are making it sound like all these top athletes have committed to U of Mary.   The other was asking about ACT scores.

The last part of my post was just my humble opinion on private schools.  I guess you could say I was hi-jacking the thread and I will admit my fault on that one.

Did I bring enough to the table for you now football07?
Diamond D

Postby Diamond D » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:26 am

#5    This has nothing to do with the kids going there but for my curiosity...what do you have against the school.  Its like your sayin Private schools should be D-1 instead of D-2 like they should be class A instead of B.  just a thought...

I am not saying they should be in any division.  I am just not a big supporter of private schools.  I was not an athlete, but I chose to go to a state institute here in ND.  I was born and raised here and I believe in supporting the state.  I have attended two colleges here in ND to acquire degrees and will probably add another one as I go on to finish my Ph. D. All will be ND state institutes.  My wife attended two colleges here in ND and both were state institutes.

That is it.  I don't care what division they are in.  I am just a believer/supporter in state institutes.  Nothing more than that.

Diamond D

Postby UND9296 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:41 am

baseball wrote:#1    my humble opinion is that the 2 best sport schools in the state are NDSU and UMary.  I can only speak for Bakkum when i say this that he chose Mary because its the best fit for his style of play and the family ties he has with the college.
Would you care to expand upon this statement? :shock:
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby UND#1 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:42 am

I hope that Belohlavek and Kick go to U Mary.  I like to see them pick up the ND kids.
UND#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:52 am

Diamond D wrote:

I am not saying they should be in any division.  I am just not a big supporter of private schools.  I was not an athlete, but I chose to go to a state institute here in ND.  I was born and raised here and I believe in supporting the state.  I have attended two colleges here in ND to acquire degrees and will probably add another one as I go on to finish my Ph. D. All will be ND state institutes.  My wife attended two colleges here in ND and both were state institutes.

That is it.  I don't care what division they are in.  I am just a believer/supporter in state institutes.  Nothing more than that.

ND state institutes are all fine and dandy, but when a school is paying for your schooling through its leadership program, guarantees you being done in four years, and has one of the finest business, Athletic training, Nursing, Education programs in the state, why wouldn't you want to go there??
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:54 am

UND9296 wrote:
baseball wrote:#1    my humble opinion is that the 2 best sport schools in the state are NDSU and UMary.  I can only speak for Bakkum when i say this that he chose Mary because its the best fit for his style of play and the family ties he has with the college.

NDSU is D-1....enough said about them.

UMary is competative in every sport, UND is in football,  they hockey team that is so great is 16-11-3...not to good this year but i know they are still one of the best in the nation so i cant knock on that.  UMary and UND Split in the bball games for men and since UND is in a higher division i tihnk its safe to say they arent as competative and have to put DAC schools on the schedule like Mayville and Dickinson State to try and chalk up a few wins.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:57 am

Baller wrote:
Diamond D wrote:

ND state institutes are all fine and dandy, but when a school is paying for your schooling through its leadership program, guarantees you being done in four years, and has one of the finest business, Athletic training, Nursing, Education programs in the state, why wouldn't you want to go there??

that will make a kid go to any college if its being paid for....like it was said earlier how NDSU ran out of scholarships and said Kick would have to walk-on as a freshman, why would someone do that when they can have the 1 year paid for along with the next 3....and if your not done with school by then you can transfer to a state school for your degree...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:06 am

UND9296 wrote:
I agree with that NDSU and Mary are the best sport schools in the state. When one looks at how Mary is competing after moving up to DII and the same can be said with NDSU. It's too bad NDSU was not able to compete in the post season in football this year, they had one heck of a team.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby UND9296 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:06 am

baseball wrote:
UND9296 wrote:

NDSU is D-1....enough said about them.

UMary is competative in every sport, UND is in football,  they hockey team that is so great is 16-11-3...not to good this year but i know they are still one of the best in the nation so i cant knock on that.  UMary and UND Split in the bball games for men and since UND is in a higher division i tihnk its safe to say they arent as competative and have to put DAC schools on the schedule like Mayville and Dickinson State to try and chalk up a few wins.
UND is 8-2 all-time against Mary in men's basketball. Under Rich Glas, the program was more or less run into the ground, but is now rebounding under a new coach, who's coaching a team he inherited, but didn't recruit. The fact of the matter is that there's nobody on Mary's roster who was recruited heavily by UND (or NDSU). That doesn't mean they can't pull an occasional upset, but I don't believe anybody who truly follows North Dakota college basketball really thinks the Mary program is better than UND. Football is a no-brainer. Women's basketball is a no-brainer. As for the non-revenue sports, I don't know. I known UND beat Mary in soccer and volleyball this year, but I don't follow those sports closely enough to make any judgments.
Last edited by UND9296 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:18 am

i dont know any of the all time records against each other either so i was just commenting on what i know about this year.  UMary is in the same type of rebuilding year with the jump from NAIA to NCAA this year, Pintar is new to the recruiting process at this level but so far i think hes doin a good job with gettin Bakkum and Wilhelm already commited
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Diamond D » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:25 am

guarantees you being done in four years, and has one of the finest business, Athletic training, Nursing, Education programs in the state, why wouldn't you want to go there??

Ahh. Academia...Now we are talking my talk.  U of Mary is quickly becoming a school with a reputation that if you pay the tuition you will get the degree.  Sorry, but that is what we are hearing from one end of the state to the other.  Personally I think their distance Masters program is a total joke.  They should just sell the degree on eBay.

Athletic training and nursing....I just don't think you can compare their program to what NDSU and UND have.  I would like to see how many U of Mary graduates could actually handle those same programs at NDSU or UND School of Medicine.

Although I am not a UND fan (wife is though!), You won't beat their business school either.  Top notch and is the best in the state.  Also for Accounting as well.

Minot State also has an incredible nursing program as well.

Education.  The two best in the state right now is Valley City and Mayville.  Minot is a close second while DSU has a great program.  UND and NDSU are the only ones offering a Ph. D in education

Guarantees getting done in 4 years.........by cutting corners and dropping some of the required courses the state institutes have agreed on keeping for the student's sake.  Another reason why they are loosing their reputation as a strong academic college.

You just won't sell me on the advantages of a private school from the academia side...at least one in ND that is. 
Diamond D

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:10 am

biggie wrote:
baller01 wrote:
sqeak63 wrote:juno pintar would be the answer...how sweet would it be if jordan pintar would go luke martinez and get amazing and then be the first father son combo to win mr basketball

I really don't see Qvale dominating in the next two years. Solid big man yes, but I don't think dominator.

That's what people said about Brian Qvale last year.

Sorry, I really don't consider being 6'11" and only averaging 20 and 10 a game as domination, but hey, thats my opinon.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby football07 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:28 am

Diamond D, so you are really talking about how you do not like private schools and how you support state schools.  What does that have to do with basketball and high school kids signing.  Maybe this should be on another website if the point you are trying to make does not have to do with sports.  And they have already signed 2 or the 4 they are chasing so it is not like they haven't got any of the four.  One last point, is that if you were given the opportunity to go to college for almost nothing, I am going to guess you would have chose a private college too.  To let you know also, I am a student at Umary, and will have my doctorate degree in Physical Therapy in three years.  I do not personally like the stereotype that you have given Mary. 
football07
NDPreps Rookie

Postby coyotefan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:34 am

baller01 wrote:
biggie wrote:
baller01 wrote:
sqeak63 wrote:juno pintar would be the answer...how sweet would it be if jordan pintar would go luke martinez and get amazing and then be the first father son combo to win mr basketball

I really don't see Qvale dominating in the next two years. Solid big man yes, but I don't think dominator.

That's what people said about Brian Qvale last year.

Sorry, I really don't consider being 6'11" and only averaging 20 and 10 a game as domination, but hey, thats my opinon.

just wondering have you seen brian play, and i was also wondering what is it to you to dominate?
coyotefan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:41 am

i tihnk what he is sayin is theres guys who are 6'1-2" who average 20 and 10....so why cant a 7 footer.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby coyotefan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:56 am

baseball wrote:i tihnk what he is sayin is theres guys who are 6'1-2" who average 20 and 10....so why cant a 7 footer.

and what guys are those
coyotefan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Deuce » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:14 pm

Kick (DHS)              23.9, 9.56
Mertins (DL)           23.9, 9.09
Elgie (MHS)            21.5, 9.25
Wilhelm (BHS)        20.3, 8.31
Brian Qvale (WHS) 20.1, 9.44

Dominating to me means far superior than the rest and it looks like Qvale is right with everyone else at the top. 

But where I'd definately say Qvale is dominating is blocked shots.
Last edited by Deuce on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby da_man 23 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Deuce wrote:Kick (DHS)              23.9, 9.56
Mertins (DL)           23.9, 9.09
Elgie (MHS)            21.5, 9.25
Wilhelm (BHS)        20.3, 8.31
Brian Qvale (WHS) 20.1, 9.44

Dominating to me means far superior than the rest and it looks like Qvale is right with everyone else at the top. 

But where I'd definately say Qvale is dominating is blocked shots.

Great post Deuce, lots of facts that i didn't know. Qvale was the most overrated player the last two years, now he finally has a good year and all of the sudden hes dominating.....looks to me hes not and what 6'11'' kid isn't gonna be dominating in blocks. Lots of average height ppl that are about the same as qvale for rbds also.
da_man 23

Postby cdub1 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:09 pm

baller01 wrote:

I personally would take Jacobson over Pintar. Just me though. I really don't see Qvale dominating in the next two years. Solid big man yes, but I don't think dominator.

jacobson is two or three times as good as pintar and qvale will dominate you have to remember he will probably get taller and bigger possibly dimensons like desagana diop when he was in high school maybe even bigger like a derrick caracter as a sophomore and junior and look how they dominated against people as tall as them then you think the only other tall kid in the wda is brian kielpinski so he only has one person with a chance to be able to guard him

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDdominator » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:36 pm

Speaking of U-Mary being stacked didn't Josian Thunshelle go there?? I haven't heard anything about he is doing
NDdominator

Postby squeak63 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:29 pm

i know he tore his acl last year but i dont know whats up with him this year
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wild Wolves » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:50 pm

Diamond D wrote

" I hate to sound so "sinical" here, but it seems like many of you on the site think U of Mary is the only school to go to??"

My respnse:

Perhaps "sinical" is what you have become because of the lack of a private school education, but then again I am definitely cynical about where you get a quality education.
Last edited by Wild Wolves on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys