Tie Breaker

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ndbb » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:47 pm

Alright, if two teams tie with records in class A, lets say for the 7th and 8th place, so one of the teams must play in the play-in game, how does that work.

When do point totals end... Jamestown lost to Century by 15 the first game, but do the scores stop at 10 points for selection?

So If Jamestown beats both Century by 10 or 15 and beat St. Marys... then what?

can anyone enlighten me?
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby squeak63 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:08 pm

yeah and who will come out with first being that its gonna look like its gonna be a tie between bismarck and dickinson
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsfan4 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:27 pm

well Dickinson beat Bismarck the first time they play by 8, and then bismarck won by 6. so the way i see it, is that dickinson holds the edge over bismarck by their margin of victory.
sportsfan4
NDPreps Reserve

Postby biggie » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:02 am

I just noticed on the WDA website that Dickinson and Bismarck are tied for first in records and Williston and Mandan are tied for second.  That has to say something abot how close the WDA is.
biggie
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NIZZLer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:57 am

ndbb wrote:Alright, if two teams tie with records in class A, lets say for the 7th and 8th place, so one of the teams must play in the play-in game, how does that work.

When do point totals end... Jamestown lost to Century by 15 the first game, but do the scores stop at 10 points for selection?

So If Jamestown beats both Century by 10 or 15 and beat St. Marys... then what?

can anyone enlighten me?

It will probably go something like this (found on a Catholic High School League website):

[size=2]Basketball Tie Breaker Clarification:

Head to Head: If two or more teams are tied at the end of the season, the margin of victory in the games between the tied teams only will determine the winner. A maximum of fifteen (15) points can be earned per game. Loss equals zero points

Common Opponents: If a tie still occurs, then a point system of plus 15 of all common sectional opponents will be used. Maximum of 15 points in a win, loss equals zero.

Highest Finisher: If a tie still exists, then compare the margins of victory up to fifteen (15) points (loss equals zero) in the games against the highest finisher not involved in the tie break.[/size]
NIZZLer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby member » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:46 am

biggie wrote:I just noticed on the WDA website that Dickinson and Bismarck are tied for first in records and Williston and Mandan are tied for second.  That has to say something abot how close the WDA is.

Mandan will most likely be 4th though with a game at Dickinson. Therefore breaking the tie.
NDPreps Starter

Postby King James » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:43 pm

What if Mandan beats Dickinson and williston wins out then theres a 3 way tie for 2nd then what happens
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby squeak63 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:36 pm

we'll all freak out becuase we wont know what to do AHHHH!!!!
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby cityleaguer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:05 pm

I know if Mandan beats Dickinson, DHS will be the 4 seed, but if DHS wins they will be the 1 seed, that really shows how close it is when 1 loss can drop a team 3 spots out of 8

cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikes_fan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:02 am

cityleaguer wrote:I know if Mandan beats Dickinson, DHS will be the 4 seed, but if DHS wins they will be the 1 seed, that really shows how close it is when 1 loss can drop a team 3 spots out of 8

If Mandan wins at Dickinson would they be the #2 seed? Cuz they beat williston twice????

vikes_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby cityleaguer » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:42 pm

vikes_fan wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:I know if Mandan beats Dickinson, DHS will be the 4 seed, but if DHS wins they will be the 1 seed, that really shows how close it is when 1 loss can drop a team 3 spots out of 8

If Mandan wins at Dickinson would they be the #2 seed? Cuz they beat williston twice????

Yeah, b/c Bismarck would be 1 with the 2 wins against Mandan, and Mandan would still be ahead of WIlliston, also WIlliston would be 3 b/c the margin of victory in the split with DHS was greater for them.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys