Mr. Basketball Poll

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who's Gonna Win Mr. Basketball?

Tate Kick - Dickinson
15%
Justin Belohavek - Mandan
38%
Brian Qvale - Williston
17%
Jordan Wilhelm - Bismarck High
6%
Jon Kramer - Wahpeton
3%
Mark Bakkum - Steele-Dawson
3%
Nathaniel Packineau - Parshall
1%
Shaun Knife - Belcourt
2%
Luke Lorenz - May-Port CG
11%
Tony Ironheart - Four Winds
4%

Total votes : 125

Postby skoal_24 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:10 pm

If i forgot someone i'm sorry just let me know who thanks guys lets make this a good poll
skoal_24

Postby football#1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:13 pm

sorry but BJ Mertens should defintly be on that poll he is puttin up so many points and is prolly the best in EDC. so fix that poll vote

football#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby DeuceTrey » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:28 pm

BJ is only a Junior this year, so it wouldnt make any sense for him to be on the list if he is not eligable for the award.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:39 pm

football#1 wrote:sorry but BJ Mertens should defintly be on that poll he is puttin up so many points and is prolly the best in EDC. so fix that poll vote

anybody ever figure out why mr. basketball cant be a junior the best reason i ever heard was from tom bachmeier saying if you give it to them as a junior you pretty much have to give it to them as a senior think juniors should have a chance though?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby skoal_24 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:52 pm

football#1 wrote:sorry but BJ Mertens should defintly be on that poll he is puttin up so many points and is prolly the best in EDC. so fix that poll vote

i would fix that poll vote but bj is only a junior if i am correct and he is not eligible 
skoal_24

Postby da_man 23 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:10 pm

cdub1 wrote:

anybody ever figure out why mr. basketball cant be a junior the best reason i ever heard was from tom bachmeier saying if you give it to them as a junior you pretty much have to give it to them as a senior think juniors should have a chance though?

Isn't it that way in other states around the nation? OJ Mayo won when he was a junior and maybe a sophomore, didn't he? But that might have been becuase he's OJ. I think we should allow jrs. to win it and BJ would definately be on that poll.

da_man 23

Postby bballer2 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:11 pm

da_man 23 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

Isn't it that way in other states around the nation? OJ Mayo won when he was a junior and maybe a sophomore, didn't he? But that might have been becuase he's OJ. I think we should allow jrs. to win it and BJ would definately be on that poll.

in fact, oj did win it as a sophomore and coulda possibly as a freshman... but there was a guy named lebron james that was in the same state... lebron won it since his sophomore year also...
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:19 pm

bballer2 wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

in fact, oj did win it as a sophomore and coulda possibly as a freshman... but there was a guy named lebron james that was in the same state... lebron won it since his sophomore year also...

LeBron James? Never heard of him. But why don't we allow the award to be won by other grades. Mr. Basketball is givin to the best player in the state, who says the best player can't be a junior? Just out of curiosity, who votes from Mr. Basketball in other states. Does the media vote for it in their respective state?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WildWarrior » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:26 pm

Should probably put Tony IH from Four Winds before we have an all out war here!!!:cool:
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby letsgosox » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:32 pm

jacob wheeling from killdeer might be good enough to make the list. justin shipman from watford also would be a descent candidate
letsgosox

Postby baller01 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:35 pm

letsgosox wrote:jacob wheeling from killdeer might be good enough to make the list. justin shipman from watford also would be a descent candidate

Them are both good canidates, unfortuntaely, Wheeling is overshaddowed IMO because of Dufault and Shipman is just underrated.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby point/center » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:53 pm

beau sizer/ BCN
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:01 pm

so far it looks like it is between the big 3

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sports-38 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:31 pm

baller01 wrote:
letsgosox wrote:jacob wheeling from killdeer might be good enough to make the list. justin shipman from watford also would be a descent candidate

Them are both good canidates, unfortuntaely, Wheeling is overshaddowed IMO because of Dufault and Shipman is just underrated.

isnt Shipman a JR also?
sports-38
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportman11 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:39 pm

yes he is a junior
sportman11

Postby Mr. Me Too » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:44 pm

Senior Athletes of the year ima say Jordan Wilhelm, Shaun Knife, Luke Heck and Jon Kramer any one of these could get this award. . .but were not talking about it so i'll say as of right now Justin Belohlavek
Last edited by Mr. Me Too on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-->aMA[z]iNg<--
Mr. Me Too
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby OkGo12 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:36 pm

Shaun Knife. . .i knew he was good but didn't know he'd be in the voting. . .i seen he got two votes more than Wilhelm. . .
"The Desire Accomplished Is Sweet To The Soul"
[Proverbs 13:19]
OkGo12
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikes_fan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:01 pm

OkGo12 wrote:Shaun Knife. . .i knew he was good but didn't know he'd be in the voting. . .i seen he got two votes more than Wilhelm. . .

Ya hes a good ballplayer he can pretty much do anything also i wouldnt consider him out of it
vikes_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby cityleaguer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:59 pm

vikes_fan wrote:
OkGo12 wrote:Shaun Knife. . .i knew he was good but didn't know he'd be in the voting. . .i seen he got two votes more than Wilhelm. . .

Ya hes a good ballplayer he can pretty much do anything also i wouldnt consider him out of it

Knife is a great player, however if it's gonna be 2 from A and 2 from B, there's absolutely no way he can get past the shadow of the high profile A players like Kick Qvale, Belahovek, or Wilhelm, and it's sad but true
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDdominator » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Its true hes in the shadow but is it possible if he was in a different school like Minot or Century where winning isn't a once in a decade thing or just more of a town w/ more media exposure??
NDdominator

Postby cityleaguer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:28 pm

NDdominator wrote:Its true hes in the shadow but is it possible if he was in a different school like Minot or Century where winning isn't a once in a decade thing or just more of a town w/ more media exposure??

Oh for sure, definitely, The thing about Belcourt is it's in the middle of nowhere, and that's what makes it hard for anyone to know anything about their players.  I just think it's a little late and a very slim chance for Knife to even be recognized for the Mr. Basketball award, when there's no way of putting him ahead of 2 of the 4 i listed, regardless if he is a better player...no one will know
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cityleaguer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:05 am

I wanted to add in this forum some thoughts I've had on the Qvale and Kick argument, I'm trying to convince myself to not be bias coming from Dickinson, but reading through many of the posts even ones that are quite older, it seems that a lot of people going into this season were not very impressed by Qvale over the past couple of years and most agreed that he was quite overrated, though he's made huge strides in his game I will agree. 

But why then has he rushed onto the scene to steal Kick's thunder from his first team all state selection last season, while Qvale was 2nd team?  Kick led the state in scoring last season (in A) and has done nothing but improve upon his game from last season along with making his team A LOT better than last season, in which he was a superior player to Qvale.  Just seems strange that over Qvale's career everyone posting on here (exception to those in Williston) has been quite unimpressed by his play, whereas the other candidates on the board have been putting up great numbers and been granted respect for the last 2 if not 3 seasons.  IMO Qvale needed to have stepped up more over the past 3 years rather than right now to have been considered a runaway for this award, and after seeing past comments on him, I'm really starting to stray away from him as the favorite!
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby region1 football » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:17 am

point/center wrote:beau sizer/ BCN

I dont know if sizer is all around as good as the other guys.  In games that i have seen he is a scoring machine....but his defense isnt as good as it could be.
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Right now I am switching from Kick to Belohavek for Mr. Bball.  After watching him a few times this year and especially tonight, he keeps his team in games.  It seemed like everyone on Mandan was off their game tonight but him.  St. Mary's kept creeping back into the game in the 2nd half and he would go down and score or make free throws to keep them ahead.  He has to be in the mix with Qvale, Kick, and whoever at the end.
Last edited by Ming01 on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby cityleaguer » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:07 am

Ming01 wrote:Right now I am switching from Kick to Belohavek for Mr. Bball.  After watching him a few times this year and especially tonight, he keeps his team in games.  It seemed like everyone on Mandan was off their game tonight but him.  St. Mary's kept creeping back into the game in the 2nd half and he would go down and score or make free throws to keep them ahead.  He has to be in the mix with Qvale, Kick, and whoever at the end.

Ming, would it change your mind to know that Kick had 28 and 10, while his teammates like Fridley put up 17, shroeder 13, Bauer 10 and so on.....also Tate held Knife to 4 points! Not to take away from Belahovek, but if Kick honestly wanted to, he could go get his 35 a night, but DHS is a lot more dangerous this way.

I guess we'll see after tonights game in Mandan, should be a slug fest between the 2 marquis players, I will definitely be there.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys