B.J Mertens

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ND_SportsNut » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:04 pm

Figured since there's one for Qvale, Kick, Martinez and Belohlavek , why not??

I think he's proven this year that he is in this elite group of players, after tonights performance hes averaging just under 24 a game.
Last edited by ND_SportsNut on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ND_SportsNut

Postby ndfootball » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:46 am

watched him play minot and he looked good.  I was more impressed with him than i was when i saw kick play.
ndfootball

Postby ND_SportsNut » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:29 am

B.J had 38 points and 8 boards and was 18-21 from the line last night.
ND_SportsNut

Postby OkGo12 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:31 am

Tate Kick is better than B.J. Mertens hands down. . .but i ain't gonna lie B.J. Mertens is a heck of a player, really can't say much but i know he's good, haven't really seen him play just against Minot and Belcourt
"The Desire Accomplished Is Sweet To The Soul"
[Proverbs 13:19]
OkGo12
NDPreps Starter

Postby DL fan1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:44 am

dude he is only a Jr. He has another year to improve. Tate kick plays a totally different position. No way hands down.
DL fan1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hoopsfan_2007 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:46 am

DL fan1 wrote:dude he is only a Jr. He has another year to improve. Tate kick plays a totally different position. No way hands down.

watch out DL fan, tate kick is GOD on this board!  you just opened up a can...good luck!
hoopsfan_2007
NDPreps Starter

Postby OkGo12 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:52 am

You just started a debate. . .haha goodluck i'll let other people finish this one. . .all i got to say is Tate Kick is the man. . .and B.J is good
"The Desire Accomplished Is Sweet To The Soul"
[Proverbs 13:19]
OkGo12
NDPreps Starter

Postby DL fan1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:57 am

How many points has kick put up.
DL fan1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DL fan1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:58 am

And another thing why are we talking about Tate Kick on a BJ Mertens topic
DL fan1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:05 am

DL fan1 wrote:And another thing why are we talking about Tate Kick on a BJ Mertens topic

everybody has a problem saying someone is good we know they are both good i doubt the maker of the topic did it so he could argue about who is better he or she probably wants to talk about mertens so we should let that happen

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:45 am

Congrats to B.J. for having a great year for the Firebirds.  Devils Lake has great support for their basketball teams, I think their fans travel better than anybody in class A.  (from what i've seen)  Keep up the hard work B.J., and good luck come tourney time.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby DeuceTrey » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:31 pm

i cant believe that no one has brought up his superb defensive play this year. yes he is a very talented scorer, but its not like he rests up at the other end of the court. he plays very good defense, he puts pressure on the ball and creates bad passes and turnovers.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:40 pm

all i gotta say about this kid he is making me look stupid saying jordan may was better and his numbers look very nice 24 8 and 5 all i gotta say is nice

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND_SportsNut » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:59 pm

He broke into varsity play last year mainly because of his great defense and hard work but he has really turned into a nice scorer as well.
ND_SportsNut

Postby 666 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:36 pm

I have one question do you think that BJ will turn out to be a better ball player than his older cousin and last years Mr. Basketball winner Travis Mertens?  Do you think BJ will have a better senior year than him also all he can do is get better from here.

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:43 pm

rite now they are both comparable for their junior season but you never know what will happen next year too far ahead for me to say either way bj is good though

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby DeuceTrey » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:10 pm

666 wrote:I have one question do you think that BJ will turn out to be a better ball player than his older cousin and last years Mr. Basketball winner Travis Mertens?  Do you think BJ will have a better senior year than him also all he can do is get better from here.

it is kind of hard to compare Travis and BJ, because they are two different players. Travis was a 6' 6" inside presence with a finese game, and BJ is a 6' 1" point guard who works hard the whole time he is on the court. I think BJ will end up being an all-around better player, but Travis was looked at more because of his size, freakish athleticism, and ability to control the game.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND_SportsNut » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:31 pm

B.J willed D.L back from a late 8 point deficit with under 4 minutes to go with 3's and 3 point plays to take the lead but they couldn't hold on at the end. He had 33 tonight by my count.
ND_SportsNut

Postby ND_SportsNut » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:50 pm

B.J, top 3 in 4 major stats in EDC- scoring 1st, rebounds 1st, assists 2nd, steals 3rd.

Last edited by ND_SportsNut on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ND_SportsNut

Postby Claz B Fan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:37 am

The only problem I saw with him was his dribbling, He practically dribbles is at his shoulder !
Last edited by Claz B Fan on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 666 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:56 am

Claz B Fan wrote:The only problem I saw with him was his dribbling, He practically dribbles is at his shoulder and his shooting is pretty streaky and not all that great

how can u say that he is shooting above 50% and he takes a lot of shots for DL so i say his shooting is great. Obviously you watched a game he was human in.

Postby ndsbest44 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:09 pm

cdub1 wrote:all i gotta say about this kid he is making me look stupid saying jordan may was better and his numbers look very nice 24 8 and 5 all i gotta say is nice

I agree before the season i thought May would have a much better season than Mertens, but BJ proved me wrong to he's putting up some impressive numbers and leading his team to a good season
ndsbest44
NDPreps Starter

Postby 666 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:27 am

DeuceTrey wrote:
666 wrote:I have one question do you think that BJ will turn out to be a better ball player than his older cousin and last years Mr. Basketball winner Travis Mertens?  Do you think BJ will have a better senior year than him also all he can do is get better from here.

it is kind of hard to compare Travis and BJ, because they are two different players. Travis was a 6' 6" inside presence with a finese game, and BJ is a 6' 1" point guard who works hard the whole time he is on the court. I think BJ will end up being an all-around better player, but Travis was looked at more because of his size, freakish athleticism, and ability to control the game.

Well Travis did play outside alot also and he did get a lot of rebounds because he is 6'6 but BJ gets a lot of rebounds too more than his cousin jordan who is 6'6 so i dont think BJ can be better than travis because of his ablility to control the game and because of his athleticism BJ may be a better shooter than him but if u get someone fairly tall on him and get a hand in his face i dont see him doing too much while travis had those long arms to shoot over anyone.

Postby ND_SportsNut » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:42 am

B.J vs May showdown tonight at the sportscenter, it should be a good one!
ND_SportsNut

Postby tarheels13 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:07 am

I was at the north/ dl game.  Both may and mertens played really well.  They both do different things that give their respective teams a chance to win.  May finished with 25 and mertens had 30.
tarheels13
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Boys