Will Devils lake be able to play come tourney time or even

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby balla » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:36 pm

What is your opinions?
balla
NDPreps Rookie

Postby rep » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:40 pm

i'm by no means a great class a basketball mind or even anything close, so take this with a grain of salt.

devils lake couldn't get to state with what was voted the state's best player last year in mertens. the argument could be made that if they couldn't get to state with him, they have no shot this year.

but, on the other hand, for the players that are back this year and the coaching staff, they have gone through that experience and that could well be the difference in knowing what needs to get done and being done early.
rep

Postby cdub1 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:41 pm

i think they are gonna make state along with the 3 fargo teams

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby DeuceTrey » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:12 pm

rep wrote:i'm by no means a great class a basketball mind or even anything close, so take this with a grain of salt.

devils lake couldn't get to state with what was voted the state's best player last year in mertens. the argument could be made that if they couldn't get to state with him, they have no shot this year.

but, on the other hand, for the players that are back this year and the coaching staff, they have gone through that experience and that could well be the difference in knowing what needs to get done and being done early.

It is not fair to compare this years Devils Lake team to last years team, as they are almost completly opposite.

Last year, Devils Lake was a run and gun team that lived and died on their jump shot and and getting out and running, and when they couldnt run and couldnt shoot last year in EDC, they lost. It happens. Yes they had the best player in the state, which helped make the case of them being a shooting team. Teams were so concerned with making sure Travis just didnt absolutly destroy them down low, that they allowed DL to shoot all day, and that is how they thrived, with the jump shot. They also had great perimiter defense and an rebounding presence inside to start the break. When teams figured out that the way to beat Devils Lake was to slow the game down and take away the fast break and speed. They also allowed Mertens to handle the ball the whole time, and that helped take his teammates out of it, and that led to them being out of rythem, thus making fewer shot, thus losing in EDC and not going to state. I believe that contributed more to them not going to state, not them being cocky little boys who believed that they were invinsible and that there was no way they could lose, and didnt try their hardest and didnt care. Trust me, i think those guys cared when they were facing elimination when they realized that they might not make state.

That being said, this years team is very different. They dont have that dominant force inside, although Jordan Mertens has shown some signs of great play. They dont have that big bruiser like they did with Svidal, or a big time rebounder like they did with Mertens. They dont really have that sharpshooter on the outside like they did last year with Lundon. They dont really have that great ballhandler like they did last year with Hunt. When you look at that, it seems like there is no way that Devils Lake should be worth jack this year, considering they lost 10 players. There is no way that they would in the top 5 in the state, and be undefeated in the EDC. No one would have predicted that, not even everyone in DL thought that. But that is why they play the game.

This years squad is successful due to their ability to play as a team, and play with great intensity and energy. This group of guys have been playing together since they were in 1st grade. They know each others skills and tedencys. They know their roles on the team, and thats probably the most important thing. They have those guys who will just go out and play defense, or come of the pick and nail a jumper. They have that guy who will guard a guy who is 5 inches taller than them, and completly shut them down. They have those guy who are just scrappy, and will go out and do whatever you want them to do, and they will do it, and do it well. They have those guys who can run around, set screens, play defense, create havic, and then come of the court, and make it seem like they were never out there. And its because they all know their roles. They know what they are needed to do, and they go out and do it. They have worked hard this year, and i think that if they continue to go about it this way, they have a great chance to make state this year.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DeuceTrey » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:13 pm

but what do i know, im just a student at DLHS. im no expert, but thats just what i think. but i do think im right.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Number7 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:44 pm

cdub1 wrote:i think they are gonna make state along with the 3 fargo teams

Don;t forget about wahpeton they beat south and lost by two to west fargo.  They are lead by seniors who have considerable experience and will step it up by the time EDC comes around.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:53 pm

Whapeton plays devils lake on saturday. should be a good game. think devils lake might get away with a close one. it seems they are alwyas in close games it would be nice to see them blow a team by 15 or so points

balla
NDPreps Rookie

Postby member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:32 pm

DeuceTrey wrote:
It is not fair to compare this years Devils Lake team to last years team, as they are almost completly opposite.

Last year, Devils Lake was a run and gun team that lived and died on their jump shot and and getting out and running, and when they couldnt run and couldnt shoot last year in EDC, they lost. It happens. Yes they had the best player in the state, which helped make the case of them being a shooting team. Teams were so concerned with making sure Travis just didnt absolutly destroy them down low, that they allowed DL to shoot all day, and that is how they thrived, with the jump shot. They also had great perimiter defense and an rebounding presence inside to start the break. When teams figured out that the way to beat Devils Lake was to slow the game down and take away the fast break and speed. They also allowed Mertens to handle the ball the whole time, and that helped take his teammates out of it, and that led to them being out of rythem, thus making fewer shot, thus losing in EDC and not going to state. I believe that contributed more to them not going to state, not them being cocky little boys who believed that they were invinsible and that there was no way they could lose, and didnt try their hardest and didnt care. Trust me, i think those guys cared when they were facing elimination when they realized that they might not make state.

That being said, this years team is very different. They dont have that dominant force inside, although Jordan Mertens has shown some signs of great play. They dont have that big bruiser like they did with Svidal, or a big time rebounder like they did with Mertens. They dont really have that sharpshooter on the outside like they did last year with Lundon. They dont really have that great ballhandler like they did last year with Hunt. When you look at that, it seems like there is no way that Devils Lake should be worth jack this year, considering they lost 10 players. There is no way that they would in the top 5 in the state, and be undefeated in the EDC. No one would have predicted that, not even everyone in DL thought that. But that is why they play the game.

This years squad is successful due to their ability to play as a team, and play with great intensity and energy. This group of guys have been playing together since they were in 1st grade. They know each others skills and tedencys. They know their roles on the team, and thats probably the most important thing. They have those guys who will just go out and play defense, or come of the pick and nail a jumper. They have that guy who will guard a guy who is 5 inches taller than them, and completly shut them down. They have those guy who are just scrappy, and will go out and do whatever you want them to do, and they will do it, and do it well. They have those guys who can run around, set screens, play defense, create havic, and then come of the court, and make it seem like they were never out there. And its because they all know their roles. They know what they are needed to do, and they go out and do it. They have worked hard this year, and i think that if they continue to go about it this way, they have a great chance to make state this year.

After reading the first line I decided I would read no more considering I couldnt disagree more. Devils Lake was 19-1 going into tournament so they didnt die buy much they played one bad game and then had to play North who wasn't that much worse than them beat them. Still that being said, this years team will make it to state but I honestly believe the west will dominate the tournament this year. Then again last year I thought the east were gunna win 3 of the 4 opening round games.
Last edited by member on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys