devils lake basketball a team to be worried about?

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby 666 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:26 am

Is Devils Lake a team that opposing teams should worry about?

Postby smart source » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:01 pm

im going to the game 2night so ill let you know what i think of minot and devils lake
smart source

Postby DeuceTrey » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:55 pm

i got word that dl lost to minot in ot, but i dont know the score. dl must have played a pretty decent game to be that close with a good team like minot, especially on the road.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby MinotBison » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:16 pm

DeuceTrey wrote:i got word that dl lost to minot in ot, but i dont know the score. dl must have played a pretty decent game to be that close with a good team like minot, especially on the road.

Minot was lucky to pull this one out.  In the second half, it seemed like they couldn't put the ball in the ocean.  Minot made one, I repeat one, two point basket in the second half.  They did make some three's in addition to having a bunch of free throw opportunities, many of which they missed.  Elgie for Minot had 29 points, and more or less took control in overtime. The Magi had a big rebounding edge in the game as well.

DL was led by Mertens, who had 32 points.  The guy is good, real good.  Snyder had (I think) 23 points as well.

MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby DeuceTrey » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:28 pm

what was the score
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby MinotBison » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:45 pm

In OT, Minot wins 85-75.
Last edited by MinotBison on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsubball » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:29 pm

I believe DL could have won that game in OT but it seemed like everytime one of DL's players touched Elgie the refs called a fould and if i remember right DL shot about 15-20 free throws and Minot shot about 40-45 free throws... Can you say homered and DL still almost beat them
ndsubball

Postby smart source » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:56 am

ndsubball wrote:I believe DL could have won that game in OT but it seemed like everytime one of DL's players touched Elgie the refs called a fould and if i remember right DL shot about 15-20 free throws and Minot shot about 40-45 free throws... Can you say homered and DL still almost beat them

i dont know if i would say homered both teams had some very bad calls against them...dl is a very good team and mertens is as good of a player as ive seen...i also though that hornecker also played very well i think he had probably 12 or 13 points but he didnt turn the ball of and he had some nice penetration and kicked the ball out to anderson for some threes
smart source

Postby tarheels13 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:13 am

where does everyone think dl will finish in the edc based on their first few games? 
tarheels13
NDPreps Reserve

Postby smart source » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:25 am

im gonna go on a limb and say they finish 1 or 2 in the east
smart source

Postby Ming01 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:08 am

4th or 5th
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby tarheels13 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:32 pm

what are the chance of mertens being an all-state player?
tarheels13
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cdub1 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:03 pm

decent

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby da_man 23 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:12 am

They have played 3 games....how can anybody say who's gonna make all state? There's alot of the season left!
da_man 23

Postby ndfootball » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:31 am

I was at the minot DL and BJ Mertens is a good player.  DL gave minot a run for there money and will be a contender.
ndfootball

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:07 pm

I see DL beat North tonight. DL is going to suprise a lot of teams this year.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby tarheels13 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:13 am

i was at the north/dl game last night..  May didn't look any bette than mertens, in fact i thought mertens outplayed may
tarheels13
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:30 pm

i think taht mertens is definitly an all around better player then may but they do both bring different aspects to there team.  May is a very good ball handler and opens up a lot for his team mates. but with mertens gaurding him he coldnt do much. that is one big aspect between the two bj is a very good defensive player along with his offense.  and is a very important palyer to a good devils lake team who no one tought would be any good this year

balla
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndsubball » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:49 pm

Devils Lake beats Grand Forks Red River in a triple overtime thriller DL 81 RR 76
ndsubball

Postby bcourtbraves » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:27 pm

Devils Lake is a tough team with big overtime wins in several cases. But when is the luck going to change for them.  I mean they will win games but you cant expect to win on buzzer beaters all the time.
Believe Big
bcourtbraves
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ming01 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:09 pm

Get over it
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND_SportsNut » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:22 am

Before the season started if you would have told me DL would have the ability to be 6-1, 4-0(edc), ranked in state, and be able to go into a place like WF and win by double digits I would have had a hard time believing it. But after watching this team, who are obviously less talented than last year, they really have 2 better things going for them than last years talent, they play hard from start to finish and play great together as a "team". Considering they lost about their top 7 players from last year, and B.J is the only person on this team with varsity experience it makes it quite remarkable. I don't think anyone could've expected this type of success but it can't be labeled as luck anymore, because they are for real.
ND_SportsNut

Postby Stromer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:52 pm

ND_SportsNut wrote:Before the season started if you would have told me DL would have the ability to be 6-1, 4-0(edc), ranked in state, and be able to go into a place like WF and win by double digits I would have had a hard time believing it. But after watching this team, who are obviously less talented than last year, they really have 2 better things going for them than last years talent, they play hard from start to finish and play great together as a "team". Considering they lost about their top 7 players from last year, and B.J is the only person on this team with varsity experience it makes it quite remarkable. I don't think anyone could've expected this type of success but it can't be labeled as luck anymore, because they are for real.

I think they def play better as a team this year but the temwork they had last year carried them through the season.  The telling point was when they went to EDC's and exclusively relied on their star player.  If they can avoid doing that again at tourney time, they will have a good chance at state.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys