Two halves vs. four quarters

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rep » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:18 pm

for players and for fans, what do you think about the switch to the two halves? enjoyable or not? does it seem to change any in-game strategies or does it mess with teams with shorter benches? are games easier to watch with fewer built-in breaks?

other thoughts?
rep

Postby vikes_fan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:25 pm

I do have to say that i like the 2 halves vs the 4 quarters but it is confusing u get a guy with 2 fouls right away and take him out with 15 minutes left i dont know that just confuses me like if they have to fouls in the 2nd quarter isnt bad...games seem to last a little longer and deeper benches help i do believe
Last edited by vikes_fan on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vikes_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby minotfan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:57 am

I personally don't like the 2 halves.  You don't get the quarter breaks.
minotfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:52 am

i personally like the halves instead of quarters.  there arent any moment killers by quarter breaks without a TV timeout the kids can get in a flow and stay in that flow for a longer period of time.  nothing is more fun then watching a player get into a rythm and not miss.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby threeball » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:02 pm

I like the two halves better than quarters. You get more playing time and it seems to me that the games get done faster without having quarter breaks.
threeball
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Knuplaybasketball » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:03 am

I like the two halves better than four quarters.  It seems a little longer to watch but the players get more playing time so it makes for a more interesting game.
Knuplaybasketball
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:32 am

i havent seen class a game yet this eyar where they are using halves, so how do they get more playing time?  are they playing 18-20 min halves or still 16?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby digger » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:15 am

baseball wrote:i havent seen class a game yet this eyar where they are using halves, so how do they get more playing time?  are they playing 18-20 min halves or still 16?

Two 18 minute halves.  I see a number of Minnesota high school games, they switched to the halves last year.  I think it makes for a better flow to the game, more game time is a plus as well.  I wish they would do it for both Class A & B, no reason to treat the Class B guys any differently.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rkmt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:17 am

I agree with the flow being better in halves.  I like it and would like to see it in Class B, too.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby minotfan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:06 am

Class B needs to get a shot clock first
minotfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:31 am

minotfan wrote:Class B needs to get a shot clock first

amen...there are some games that would be absolute torture with two halves and no shot clock...can you imagine the 10-minute possessions in an attempt to shorten the game...ugh
rep

Postby digger » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:24 am

rep wrote:

amen...there are some games that would be absolute torture with two halves and no shot clock...can you imagine the 10-minute possessions in an attempt to shorten the game...ugh

Good point, I agree.  Any idea why Class B boys don't have the shot clock or two halves? 
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:38 am

i would love to see a shot clock in class b.  it would seperate the teams more than they are now i belive taking away the stalling offense.  the only teams that wouldnt want a shot clock in class b are the teams that finish in the bottom of the district, because it is there gameplan to try and slow the game down so they can play with the top teams.  noone wants to see a game end with both teams in the 30s.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:43 am

digger wrote:
rep wrote:

Good point, I agree.  Any idea why Class B boys don't have the shot clock or two halves? 

shot clock - no money

two halves - no shot clock
rep

Postby Number7 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:00 pm

Said perfectly.  That's why North Dakota needs a three class system.  The first two classes two halves and a shot clock.  The third class four quarters.
"Pressure makes diamonds"
Number7
NDPreps All-State

Return to Boys