Who is going to be the "Big" man this year!

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ballplayer15 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:46 pm

player22 wrote:i think selgiv is going to be one of the thoughest players he will match up with all year long. but still only 5 boards is kind of pathetic.

ok let me be 7 foot in north dakota im puttin up 30 and 20 everygame
ballplayer15

Postby bballer2 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:47 pm

player22 wrote:i think selgiv is going to be one of the thoughest players he will match up with all year long. but still only 5 boards is kind of pathetic.

selvig is 6'10" and is also going to montana so give him a break
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hooppride » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:09 am

Selvig plays outside on the perimeter, how is qvale supposed to guard him and yet still be in on every rebound? maybe thats why those stats dont quite add up. He also blocked selvig several times.
hooppride

Postby digger » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:51 am

thenextbigthing wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:how can anyone say that this site overrates anyone other than qvale if i was basically 7 feet tall i would drop and i mean litterally drop the ball in for 30 to 40 pts a game and standing what 6 inches taller than everyone about i would be grabbin 20 boards a game almost every shot taken thats missed he should grab now maybe my view on basketball is obscure but i think its right and from what i have heard qvale didnt put up very good numbers last year and he is supposed to be a big man hes huge but can he do anything with his size this year is the question

very very true thank you for stating that

Anyone 6'8"+, should score at will and dominate the competition every night out?  If you happen to be 6'10"+, approaching 7', 30/20 games should be routine?  A quick look back at the best "bigs" in North Dakota over the last few years would indicate that they were all underperforming stiffs by that reasoning.  Les Jepson, Doug Swenson, Jon Godfread, Evan Lindahl, Tom Verdouw, Tyler Koenig, Brian Qvale; none of these guys consistently dominated the way that many people seem to think Qvale should.  Koenig probably came the closest to being consistently dominant but he had some flat spots too.  He was more mature physically in high school than most North Dakota big guys have been. 

Bigs get criticized because people think, " Man if I were that size it would be sooo easy."  College coaches know that almost every really big guy matures into his body later than smaller guys, it's just physiology.  That's why big guys who show some athletic ability are snatched up, even if their high school numbers don't knock your socks off.  Sure Dwight Howard/Amare Stoudamire/Greg Oden would've put up crazy numbers if they had played against ND high school competition when they were 17 or 18, but Qvale and the rest obviously aren't/weren't at that level.  Qvale is the best of the "bigs" in ND over the last few years, I hope he finishes his high school season strong and has a great college career.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BB Fan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:13 pm

digger wrote:
thenextbigthing wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:how can anyone say that this site overrates anyone other than qvale if i was basically 7 feet tall i would drop and i mean litterally drop the ball in for 30 to 40 pts a game and standing what 6 inches taller than everyone about i would be grabbin 20 boards a game almost every shot taken thats missed he should grab now maybe my view on basketball is obscure but i think its right and from what i have heard qvale didnt put up very good numbers last year and he is supposed to be a big man hes huge but can he do anything with his size this year is the question

very very true thank you for stating that

Anyone 6'8"+, should score at will and dominate the competition every night out?  If you happen to be 6'10"+, approaching 7', 30/20 games should be routine?  A quick look back at the best "bigs" in North Dakota over the last few years would indicate that they were all underperforming stiffs by that reasoning.  Les Jepson, Doug Swenson, Jon Godfread, Evan Lindahl, Tom Verdouw, Tyler Koenig, Brian Qvale; none of these guys consistently dominated the way that many people seem to think Qvale should.  Koenig probably came the closest to being consistently dominant but he had some flat spots too.  He was more mature physically in high school than most North Dakota big guys have been. 

Bigs get criticized because people think, " Man if I were that size it would be sooo easy."  College coaches know that almost every really big guy matures into his body later than smaller guys, it's just physiology.  That's why big guys who show some athletic ability are snatched up, even if their high school numbers don't knock your socks off.  Sure Dwight Howard/Amare Stoudamire/Greg Oden would've put up crazy numbers if they had played against ND high school competition when they were 17 or 18, but Qvale and the rest obviously aren't/weren't at that level.  Qvale is the best of the "bigs" in ND over the last few years, I hope he finishes his high school season strong and has a great college career.
well said
Last edited by BB Fan on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe another day
BB Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:22 pm

How many of you guys bashing Qvale are 7' tall?  sure 30 PPG isnt out of the question for him, but outside of 6 feet how about you guys who are 6' or smaller grab a softball and try shooting into an ice cream tub....u will find its not that easy when your hand not cool up the whole ball (from what ive seen he isnt the worst FT shooter either).  and just because you are 7' tall doesnt mean every rebound is going to bounce right to you.  everyone is making it seem like if hes standing on the weak side for a rebond and the shot its the front rim, that he should just stick his arm out across the lane and grab the ball 15 feet away from him (long shots=long rebounds). think about some of this stuff before you bash on his stats.
Last edited by baseball on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby coyote#12 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:18 am

I would have to say both Qvales from williston.
coyote#12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby #50mandan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:12 am

SORRY KARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikes_fan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:14 am

#50mandan wrote:Image

SORRY KARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But he isnt going to be the big man this year????????
vikes_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby nd-ball41 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:45 am

As I mentioned earlier in this topic..Luke Heck is "The Big Man" so far this year. He is leading the state in scoring after 4 games, and doesn't look like he is slowing down.
nd-ball41

Postby vikes_fan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:45 am

nd-ball41 wrote:As I mentioned earlier in this topic..Luke Heck is "The Big Man" so far this year. He is leading the state in scoring after 4 games, and doesn't look like he is slowing down.

But he is the only player on the team
vikes_fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby cdub1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:04 pm

i see how good he is doing but when he is playing for example belcourt is he staying in the game at the end and putting up stats against the other teams bench players?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby MHSfan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:31 pm

Thats a good point, in the last game Minot could have went triple digits (maybe) on them if they would have kept the starting 5 in all game.  Also when Heck was underneath the hoop he was doing nothing, as he stated he starts to rack up the points when the bench players came in.  What did he get for points anyways that game?  I left at halftime and went to the final period of the hockey game instead.
"You miss 100% of all shots you don't take."
Wayne Gretzky
MHSfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndbb » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:39 pm

belcourt and minot both kept their starting five in the whole game.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sports-38 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:22 pm

Qvale is the big man this year, and we will see what heck can do against qvale, if he does good against qvale, ill think about heck being the big man. And Qvale is also WINNING with his 25 and 15, heck isnt.
sports-38
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballplayer15 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:58 pm

nd-ball41 wrote:As I mentioned earlier in this topic..Luke Heck is "The Big Man" so far this year. He is leading the state in scoring after 4 games, and doesn't look like he is slowing down.

im no longer pay attentio nto what people say on this site all people see is point scoring points doesnt make u good getting wins makes u great kobe scored more than jordan is kobe better aww naw hes not luke heck scores quvale is the big man hes putti nup numbers more than just points he changes the game on the defensive and offensive end luke heck just loses games what is jamestown record 1-3 30 points or something and losing by 30 thats not the big man thats being the only player on a terrible team
ballplayer15

Postby O_Snap » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:52 am

I just dont understand how some of you guys praise Luke Heck.... He's the only player on the team of course your gonna put up numbers look how bad his team is....
O_Snap

Postby AandBfan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:53 am

So what does everyone think about Heck's chances of being all-state this year?
AandBfan

Postby #50mandan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:11 am

heck could make all-state if he keeps puttin up 28 a game but that will be hard, I think more teams will start focusing on just him instead of the rest of the jamestown team cause they cant do anything
ill do it
#50mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby classb_fan00 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 am

What happened to Matt Wegenke from Jamestown? I always thought he was going to be good.
Last edited by classb_fan00 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me.
Larry Bird
classb_fan00
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:02 am

heck will be all state if he scores about 15 a game for the rest of the season cuz he will end with about 18 then and that is an all state player

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HeisAlive » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:36 am

Who's the "BIG MAN" from the East...  Haven't really heard from the East yet!!!
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndbb » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:11 am

gradzielieski? my spelling is morbid but he is the one off the top of my head for Red River. Hermann from South?  Dye from West Fargo?
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Lamby » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:09 pm

Qvale is the best "big" man in the state hands down... and he is also deffinately the best overall player in the state...
Lamby

Postby sports-38 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Herman is pretty good, very physical and a great finisher.
sports-38
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys