Mid Season Award Projections

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mid Season Award Projections

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:27 am

At this point in time, I think Tyler Rudolph has taken the lead for Mr. Basketball, due to his 17.6 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 54% shooting from the field, 68% shooting from deep, and 71% shooting from the line. His team has been so dominant that they have had 1 close game, with Saint Mary's Central, and have won all other games against North Dakota competition by 18 points or more.

First Team

Tanner Kretchman - Fargo Davies
Tyler Rudolph - Bismarck Century
Darius Sparks - Saint Mary's Central
Patrick Strom - Fargo Shanley
Ben Weisbeck - Saint Mary's Central

Second Team

Jayden Ferguson - Williston
Robert Hutchins - Bismarck Century
Andrew Kozlowski - Fargo Davies
Colton Lloyd - Fargo South
Taylor Schafer - Bismarck
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Re: Mid Season Award Projections

Postby go maji » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:07 am

He didn't impress me that much against Minot. He was being hounded by Lund all game (even though he's
2 inches shorter than Rudolph). Rudolph ended up with 11 points, 3 of which were behind the arch unguarded.

Also, Mr. Basketball is an individual award. So it doesn't matter how the tem performs.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Shaw1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:50 am

The real problem with evaluating individuals this year in the west is the fact 5 teams are absolutely non -competitive. The leads into the next question. Why can't teams in Dickinson, Williston, Jamestown, Belcourt and Mandan put quality teams out every year?
Shaw1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:03 pm

@Go Maji, I was at that game. Not overly impressive offensively, but did a great job on the defensive end and still finished 11 and 6, in his worst game of the season. Basically everyone that guards Rudolph is going to be 2 inches shorter, so I do not see that being a huge factor.

Mr. Basketball is an individual award, but team performance obviously means something. I can't think of any time where Mr. Basketball went to a player who played for a losing team. I would hazard a guess that the Mr. Basketball candidates will be Briton Bussman, Tanner Holte, Tanner Kretchman, Tyler Rudolph, Patrick Strom, and Ben Weisbeck. All of these guys play for very high level teams, with the exception of Strom, who has a state title under his belt.

@Shaw1, I would disagree with you that Dickinson and Williston are not competitive. Williston got blown out by Saint Mary's Central and Bismarck Century, much like everyone else has, but beat Mandan and Jamestown, and had a game with Minot go down to the wire. Dickinson has improved dramatically since Aanen Moody has returned to their roster. Still yet to win, but a 4 point loss to a solid Bismarck team tells me that they are improving.

I think the problem with evaluating individuals this year may be that Bismarck Century and Saint Mary's Central seem to be on such a different level than the other teams, where the teams in the EDC are fairly competitive with each other because they do not have two teams that are so dominant at the top.

In my honest opinion, you can take Tanner Kretchman, Tyler Rudolph, Patrick Strom, and Ben Weisbeck, and draw out of a hat, as they are all closely talented. Rudolph's advantage is that he is the best post in Class A by far, and his team has yet to lose. Can make good arguments for the other 3 as to being the best guard, but with Rudolph, it is not really questionable.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby gvmearees » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Baller if you are a player on these successful teams with these very talented young men which team would you rather play with. Hypothetically( 55 total team shots per game), 1= a player that shoots 22 shots and makes 45% per game and 4 players shooting 8.25 shots making 45%, 1 choosing offense vs 4 playing both way; 2= 1 player shooting 22 shots 45 % makes, 1 player 15 shots 45% makes, 3 players 6 shots 45% make, very similar defensive approach or 3= 1 player 13 shots 45%, 4 players shooting 10.5 at 45%, all 5 defensive minded. All equally talented kids. Lots of variables but pick 1 and explain please. The reason I ask is ur AAU affiliation and ur not a parent of a current player. Thank you
gvmearees
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Baller if you are a player on these successful teams with these very talented young men which team would you rather play with. Hypothetically( 55 total team shots per game),

1= a player that shoots 22 shots and makes 45% per game and 4 players shooting 8.25 shots making 45%, 1 choosing offense vs 4 playing both way;

2= 1 player shooting 22 shots 45 % makes, 1 player 15 shots 45% makes, 3 players 6 shots 45% make, very similar defensive approach or

3= 1 player 13 shots 45%, 4 players shooting 10.5 at 45%, all 5 defensive minded. All equally talented kids.

Lots of variables but pick 1 and explain please. The reason I ask is ur AAU affiliation and ur not a parent of a current player. Thank you

I would probably go with team 3, just because you are talking about the defensive approach. The way you have worded it, every team is the exact same offensively, so the defensive end is the only difference.

Also, that is the closest to the team that I played on in high school when we were successful.

Speaking to my AAU affiliation, what I love about team 3 is that an opposing team can't just take one guy out of the game. My team that I coached last year was fairly up and down, but when we played well, I would have 4 guys or so in double figures. The best my 16u squad played last season was in Milwaukee when we played up in the 17u division, and I was getting consistent double figure scoring from Noah Bosh, Shayden Keplin, Dakota Halvorson, Riley Henderson, and Aanen Moody. I wasn't getting double figure scoring from Wesley Borgen, but he shot over 80% that tournamnet, and Jon Parisien was a beast on the boards for us. I think that was a lot harder for teams to defend, as we would be in a situation where you had to guard every player on the floor, as compared to some of the teams we played who just had one or two studs that we could face guard.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:59 am

Add a few I haven't seen this list. Chad Bartosh is averaging 23 points a game and 10.1 rebound a game. Seems like he should be right in the mix of this. Red River lost a lot of talent last couple years. With most of the preseason picks(coaches vote,media vote) nobody seemed to think Red River would do anything this season. I saw coaches poll had them picked 6th and media poll had them 5. Also watch Jake Mussman play. He also should be getting some looks here.
Christensen from Wahpeton. Irwin from wahpeton' Gardner, South
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:01 pm

If I added a "next five" I would go with...

Chad Bartosh - Grand Forks Red River
Jack Christensen - Wahpeton
Dakota Halvorson - Minot
Blaze Irwin - Wahpeton
Travis Schock - West Fargo

That said, I don't see a junior getting on. I could see Bartosh, Christensen, or Schock getting in. Schock had a very nice game last night, and Christensen fills up the stat sheet all across the board.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:03 pm

New projections.

First Team

Second Team

Next Five

Dakota Halvorson - Minot
Blaze Irwin - Wahpeton

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:25 pm

I think Kretchman, Rudolph, and Weisbeck are unanimous on the First Team.

New projections.

First Team

Second Team

Next Five

Dakota Halvorson - Minot
Blaze Irwin - Wahpeton

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDbballFan22 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:38 am

I agree with everything except I think Bartosh deserves it over Strom. He's shooting a higher percentage, averaging twice as many boards and has his team in a much better spot.
NDbballFan22
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDbballFan22 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:43 am

....he also has almost twice as many assists and almost twice as many steals. I know stats aren't everything, but they do go a long ways. Both players see the other teams best defensive player every game. Each player also only has one other teammate averaging double figures.
NDbballFan22
NDPreps Rookie

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:20 am

I actually do agree with you, but I just don't see it happening, because Strom was All State last year and he improved his numbers. I have watched Bartosh 4 times this season in person and have been impressed every time.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys