Potential 2000 Point Scorers

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Potential 2000 Point Scorers

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:34 pm

@Kramer85 --- Great post.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 pm

It takes a lot of skill, determination, and luck for an athlete to make it through his senior year. Its difficult to exceed expectations set from from previous years, compete and succeed against a constant influx of new talent, and overcome the threat (and realty) of injuries. That is why recognizing seniors is very significant. This year's Mr. Basketball winner is a returning all-stater,led his team to a State Championship his senior year, broke the all time Class A scoring record, and is the 1st Class A player to break the 2000 point mark. A Class B player would have had to single-handedly lead his team to at least an appearance to the State tournament to be considered over Jacobson.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Xfactor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Kramer85 I also agree that's a great post. That's a good analysis. I really think North Dakota has to change Mr. Basketball so it's not just a senior award, that's what senior athlete awards are for. If it was that way, Hagler would've won last year, Jacobson this year, and Hanstad would've won one or two in high school with Shanilec still winning his senior year. Like I said, I still would've picked Hagler this year but we wouldn't even have this problem or discussion if it was that way. Does anyone know if there's any real discussion other than on this board of that rule possibly changing?
Xfactor
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:14 pm

I definitely agree that Mr. Basketball shouldn't be restrained to seniors. We've got to be about the only state to do this. Each class has their own senior athlete of the year correct? And if we need a joint one than make on, but leave Mr. Basketball to the best player regardless of age.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Xfactor wrote:I haven't seen Collins play so I can't talk about him. I could be wrong but I'm assuming the D1 coach was talking about Kroeplin. I could see why a D1 coach would go after Kroeplin because of his athleticism. He has a lot of upside, but right now he's not the same level as Hagler. And where a player is going to college shouldn't be a factor in choosing Mr. Basketball.

Wolves65, your comment is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, A and B are different levels, but Hagler would've started on ANY team in class A as a sophomore, junior, and senior that's not even up for debate. As a freshman, he would've started for Shanley, just as Jacobson did. Hagler started on a North Star team as a freshman that probably would've beat Shanley that year.

I've seen both Mertens and Hagler play many times and Hagler is the better player. It doesn't help Mertens that he didn't have much of a team, but he put these numbers up in mostly losing efforts, many of them not close. Hagler didn't have as much scoring around him last year and he put up 28 ppg. He still saw a lot of double teams and chasers last year and this year. Mertens is a great player, but not as good as Hagler.

I think Jacobson is in the same category as Hanstad, but he has to get quicker before he can contribute at NDSU. Hanstad was able to contribute his freshman year with Boise State. Jacobson might have more upside though.

I wouldnt really call 3.3 ppg and 13.8 min in 2/3 of the season "contributing". he did only see the floor because of a few injuries his frosh season. this season season was even worse
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:42 pm

baseball18 wrote:
Xfactor wrote:I haven't seen Collins play so I can't talk about him. I could be wrong but I'm assuming the D1 coach was talking about Kroeplin. I could see why a D1 coach would go after Kroeplin because of his athleticism. He has a lot of upside, but right now he's not the same level as Hagler. And where a player is going to college shouldn't be a factor in choosing Mr. Basketball.

Wolves65, your comment is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, A and B are different levels, but Hagler would've started on ANY team in class A as a sophomore, junior, and senior that's not even up for debate. As a freshman, he would've started for Shanley, just as Jacobson did. Hagler started on a North Star team as a freshman that probably would've beat Shanley that year.

I've seen both Mertens and Hagler play many times and Hagler is the better player. It doesn't help Mertens that he didn't have much of a team, but he put these numbers up in mostly losing efforts, many of them not close. Hagler didn't have as much scoring around him last year and he put up 28 ppg. He still saw a lot of double teams and chasers last year and this year. Mertens is a great player, but not as good as Hagler.

I think Jacobson is in the same category as Hanstad, but he has to get quicker before he can contribute at NDSU. Hanstad was able to contribute his freshman year with Boise State. Jacobson might have more upside though.

I wouldnt really call 3.3 ppg and 13.8 min in 2/3 of the season "contributing". he did only see the floor because of a few injuries his frosh season. this season season was even worse

Just read this topic as I am going to calculate the chance of Strom passing Jacobson's record. Hanstad was conference player of the week as a freshman at one point, so he did contribute. Nothing he can do about Boise State recruiting 2 Australian Olympic basketball players and a Latvian Olympic basketball player who all play the same position he does. He is very happy with his decision though. Fringe top 25 team and he is very happy to be part of it. No doubt he could transfer elsewhere and get major minutes but he is happy with his current situation.

Strom would need to get 3 games at state and average about 31 points per game through the season, which seems feasible.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Boys