Potential 2000 Point Scorers

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Potential 2000 Point Scorers

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:04 am

ndbb2323 wrote:The only A teams that play more than 21-22 are the ones that go to state

which is like half the teams
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Xfactor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:07 am

Still, that's quite a few more minutes for Class A players and AJ has got to play 25 games each year I believe. Plus you have to look at the fact that Hagler sat out most of the fourth quarter a lot of games throughout his career because they weren't close. If Hagler played Class A I bet he would've lead the state in almost every category other than rebounding.
Xfactor
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:18 am

Xfactor wrote:Still, that's quite a few more minutes for Class A players and AJ has got to play 25 games each year I believe. Plus you have to look at the fact that Hagler sat out most of the fourth quarter a lot of games throughout his career because they weren't close. If Hagler played Class A I bet he would've lead the state in almost every category other than rebounding.

You realize if he played class A, he wouldn't have played until at least he was freshman right? He'd have to play against class A kids as well, and probably not be depended on to score 40 every night.

He'd still be a great player, but don't act like A and B are the same thing.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Xfactor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:26 am

Hagler would've had the potential to play on a lot of class A teams his 8th grade year, but probably wouldn't have, depending on the school. If you watched North Star at all this year you would realize they always have 5 guys on the court who could score, just like any class A team, and I could guarantee you that Hagler shot far less times than Jacobson this year and had a better shooting percentage, so it's not like he's relied on to score 40 every night.
Xfactor
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:39 am

Xfactor wrote:Still, that's quite a few more minutes for Class A players and AJ has got to play 25 games each year I believe. Plus you have to look at the fact that Hagler sat out most of the fourth quarter a lot of games throughout his career because they weren't close. If Hagler played Class A I bet he would've lead the state in almost every category other than rebounding.

balla will have fun with this. very ignorant imo.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Xfactor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:56 am

Flip wrote:

I just think that a lot of people don't take Hagler's numbers serious because he's class B. There are a lot of Class B players who put up huge numbers because they're the only good player on the team, but that's never been the case for Hagler because he's always had a good team. If he played on an average team every year he would score more points because he would shoot a lot more. Both Hagler and Jacobson are great players, but I think the reason Jacobson won is because of the media attention around him due to the fact that he's class A and from Fargo, and also because of his mom and sister.
Xfactor
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:04 am

Hagler also started varsity as an eighth grader and went over 25 games on multiple occasions. Don't see your point. If Hagler would have done that in Class A, why did he not do it in Class B? Not bashing his game, but that is a stupid argument with no merit at all.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:06 am

Xfactor wrote:Hagler would've had the potential to play on a lot of class A teams his 8th grade year, but probably wouldn't have, depending on the school. If you watched North Star at all this year you would realize they always have 5 guys on the court who could score, just like any class A team, and I could guarantee you that Hagler shot far less times than Jacobson this year and had a better shooting percentage, so it's not like he's relied on to score 40 every night.

Hagler would not have played on the good Class A team's his 8th grade year. I coached against him a lot at that time. I didn't think he was much better, if better, than Kroeplin was in 8th grade. 8th graders don't play in Class A for the most part. Also, add in the fact that if you go to a Bismarck Public School, Fargo Public School, or Dickinson (there may be more), you are not even allowed to play varsity in eighth grade, no matter what your talent level is.

Hagler did not have a better shooting percentage than Jacobson this year.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:14 am

Xfactor wrote:
Flip wrote:

I just think that a lot of people don't take Hagler's numbers serious because he's class B. There are a lot of Class B players who put up huge numbers because they're the only good player on the team, but that's never been the case for Hagler because he's always had a good team. If he played on an average team every year he would score more points because he would shoot a lot more. Both Hagler and Jacobson are great players, but I think the reason Jacobson won is because of the media attention around him due to the fact that he's class A and from Fargo, and also because of his mom and sister.

AJ won because he is the best player. I don't even understand how you can argue this. AJ is going D1 and had multiple offers.

The last Class A player to win......Brian Qvale. Yes, the last player from Class A to win went D1, set a conference record, and is now playing professional basketball. There was a drought that included Dufault, Malzer, Randall, Schanilec, and Langstaff all winning for Class B. The media has shown that what class you play in does not matter at all.

I seriously do not understand why Jacobson and Hagler are even in the same argument when we are talking players. No disrespect meant to Hagler at all, but Jacobson should be in the conversation with Hanstad, Boschee, Kraft, Jacobson, etc. Hagler should be in the conversation with Erron Collins, Mac Kroeplin, Cameron Malzer, Luke Schreiner, etc.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:16 am

Jacobson's numbers if he played 32 minute games:
22.8 ppg, 11.6 rpg, and 4.7 apg

eye test tell me Jacobson is better, much better rebounder and a lot tougher to match up against because of his height. Granted I didn't see Hagler play this year. I guess he could be much better this year, idk.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:27 am

Jacobson's state tournament stats.

VS Saint Mary's - 27 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 blocks, 1 steal. 9-14, 2-2, 7-9.
VS Fargo Davies - 37 points, 11 rebounds, 2 assists, 0 blocks, 2 steals. 11-13, 2-4, 13-13.
VS Bismarck - 27 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, 3 steals. 9-18, 1-3, 8-8.

Overall per game numbers. 30.3 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.7 bpg, 2 spg. 29-45 (64.4%), 5-9 (55.5%, 28-30 (93.3%).

Tell me how a person can say that he won Mr. Basketball because of his mother's talents.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:30 am

Also, to the person posting that Hagler had a lot of blowouts and sat out a lot of fourth quarters. 20 of Fargo Shanley's 25 games were not within 15 points.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby thefuzz » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:02 am

Hagler would not have played on the good Class A team's his 8th grade year. I coached against him a lot at that time. I didn't think he was much better, if better, than Kroeplin was in 8th grade. 8th graders don't play in Class A for the most part. Also, add in the fact that if you go to a Bismarck Public School, Fargo Public School, or Dickinson (there may be more), you are not even allowed to play varsity in eighth grade, no matter what your talent level is.

Hagler did not have a better shooting percentage than Jacobson this year

Indy5 i dont find that to be a true statement, he could have played at D lake,williston,minot as an 8th grader.. as for the games per year i would think the fact that class A only has a hand full of teams in the state to play greatly restricts the number of games played vs Class B.
thefuzz
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:53 am

Devil's Lake has not made state in the past 5 years, so I wouldn't exactly call them "good". No offense to that program, as they are one of the smallest in North Dakota. Brian Qvale was a 6'8" 8th grader who did not play at Williston. No 8th grade male has played varsity basketball at Williston in at least 10 years. I do not know if any 8th grade male has played at Williston ever, but I am not sure. Minot doesn't play 8th grade males either. It doesn't happen.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby End90 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Hagler would NOT have played as an 8th grader in class A., likely even as a freshman not, especially at bigger schools like minot, bhs, west fargo, century, fargo south, etc. If you think otherwise then you are not aware of the talent and skill of these players at these schools. What jacoson and boschee did playing class A basketball is very impressive and puts them in an elite class. No one plays as an 8th grader in class A boys.
End90
NDPreps Starter

Postby Xfactor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:59 pm

balla45 I really respect your opinion and I normally agree with you, but I disagree on this topic. Hagler wouldn't have played on a good class A team his 8th grade year, but would've on some teams that weren't as good. Jacobson might have too if he wasn't at a good class A school. And Kroeplin was not as good as Hagler their 8th grade year they played on the same AAU team just ask people who watched them.

As far as close games, I know Shanley had a lot of games that weren't close this year, but still a lot of them weren't blowouts. I'm sure Jacobson averaged more minutes than Hagler.

Jacobson should not be in the same consideration of Hanstad, Boschee, etc. He is not the same caliber as those guys who had the capability to step into a D1 program and make a difference right away. Hagler is also better than any of the players you said he was in the same group as. Hagler or Jacobson would've won Mr. Basketball any of the past years since Dufault.

Jacobson is going D1 over Hagler simply because he is 6'6 and Hagler is about 6'1 or 6'2. If Hagler chooses to go to a Juco for a couple years and gets stronger then I believe he could play at NDSU as well. Mr. Basketball isn't judged upon where you're going to college. Hagler's skill set just as good. The only thing Jacobson has him in is rebounding, but Hagler is a very good rebounder for a point guard.

Basically, both are great players, but I think Hagler was overlooked because there's no media coverage in his area compared to Jacobson playing in Fargo. Anyone from the area knows Hagler is much better than Nate Mertens, who is also a great player and worthy finalist, but he finished in a close 3rd because they look at his numbers.
Xfactor
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Xfactor wrote:Basically, both are great players, but I think Hagler was overlooked because there's no media coverage in his area compared to Jacobson playing in Fargo.

As far as media coverage goes in ND.
Fargo>Cando
Warwick>Bismarck
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Xfactor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Langstaff won because voters looked at his scoring numbers and because Werner wasn't one of the stronger class A candidates the past few years. I think Langstaff deserved Mr. Basketball, I'm just saying voters probably didn't see him play, they just looked at the stat line.
Xfactor
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:58 pm

You also have to look at competition. One of the worst teams that Shanley beat this year was Valley City. Earlier this year, Valley City beat State Champion Milnor. And if Jacobson had the same players guarding him that were guarding Hagler, A.J. probably could have averaged 35+ this year and maybe 18+ rebounds due to the lack of size in class B.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby End90 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:12 pm

It is naive to think that Hagler would have started on ANY class A team as an 8th grader, or even as a freshman, maybe some teams as sophmore. This is nothing against Hagler, however, there is difference between a class A program and a class B program.
End90
NDPreps Starter

Postby Xfactor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 pm

First of all, I said he might've played, not started, on some of the poor Class A teams as an eighth grader, not any good teams. As a freshman, he would've played on any team in the state, and if you watched even one game of him as a sophomore you would know he was one of the best players in the state as a sophomore, class A or B. Also, Hagler might be playing class B, but North Star goes out of their way to make as tough of a schedule as possible, and he sees a lot of good defenders. I believe Beulah is about as good of a defensive team as any class A team in the state and Hagler has put up big numbers against them.e's constantly being guarded by very good defenders. No disrespect to Milnor, but they weren't truly the best team in the state, they made a great run and won a championship. If you want to use comparisons like that you could say Maple Valley beat Valley City who beat Davies right after they beat Red River, so any team who beat Maple Valley could win the EDC. That's just not how it works. Class A and B programs are different, but the top players in class B aren't worse than the top players in class A. Just watch AAU basketball.
Xfactor
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:47 pm

As far as AJ, last night I was far more impressed with him then I was when I watched hanstad. And let us be very clear, Jeff boschee was on a different level then joe hanstad. It is difficult for me to say this because I'm a class b guy, but the voters got it right last night
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Xfactor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:29 pm

The Schwab wrote:As far as AJ, last night I was far more impressed with him then I was when I watched hanstad. And let us be very clear, Jeff boschee was on a different level then joe hanstad. It is difficult for me to say this because I'm a class b guy, but the voters got it right last night

I really wasn't very impressed with AJ last night. I thought his performances in the first two rounds were better. He forced a lot last night and got off to a rough start, but finished the game better. I completely agree that Boschee is on a different level than Hanstad and these two, but I respectfully disagree with your opinion on this year's Mr. Basketball. I know that quite a few people disagree with me, but I have watched both players play a number of times, and I would take Hagler on my team over AJ. Nobody makes their teammates better than Hagler, and when he has to score, I think he can take over a game better than anyone. I'm looking forward to the Lions All Star games to see if my opinion or other people's opinions change.
Xfactor
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:29 pm

Oh I respect your opinion and I think Hagler is one heck of a basketball player
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby roison33 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:59 pm

As a Class B guy I'm a little embarrassed right now. Jacobson should have won Mr. BB, there is little to no argument. His numbers were better, his team finished better, and he plays better competition. Last year I thought it was poor sportsmanship by Class A people when they were saying Langstaff didn't deserve it, now I come on here and seeing the same thing from our side.

Quit using bs excuses like his family or media exposure, and be happy that Mr. BB is going on to play at a D1 level which doesn't happen every year. I also hate it when height is used to knock against a player. "Well if so and so wasn't 6' 6" they wouldnt be as good". What is your point? Height is an asset in basketball just like speed or strength and should never be used against somebody in an argument.
roison33
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys